• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

So much for Losman

There is no comparison.

I praised Losman's composure last week, which was the biggest asset I saw coming out of Roethlisberger last year. Well Losman showed me just the opposite this week. Confused, jitterish, frustrated, all displayed on the field plainly.

In some ways I wish Losman would have thrown an INT by now. From my vintage view of my couch, I saw a kid who is afraid to make a mistake, especially after those near picks in the first quarter. In contrast, Big Ben was throwing INTs (not many though); he was not afraid to make a mistake and he was not bothered by it. By playing loose and confident, he was also fitting balls into tight areas and hitting TDs.

I have to come back to Mularkay for some deserved criticism. He went with Losman because he was encouraged by Ben's success last year, the same type of offense that Mularkay knows very well. But the one big difference between Mularkay and Wisenhunt (Steelers new OC) is that the latter apparently fits the Steelers mold and ground attack better than Mularkay - in the opener Steelers soundly beat Titans and Big Ben went 9 for 11; I would never imagine a Mularkay coached team throwing the pigskin 11 times all game, ever! The Steelers have a great running game even though they may not have an running back as talented as McGahee, which made life a lot easier for Roethlisberger. If you ask me what is the offensive blueprint yesterday, I recognized it. It's the Steelers'. They always ran down the Bucs throat, even during their superbowl season. But the same strategy simply did not work for the Bills yesterday. As a head coach, Mularkay should know that.

The lack of power running was evident in the Texans game - see the redzone offense down to the 1 yard line. I know people have said that running is more of an attitude. What I see from Mularkay and Clements is that they tried to finesse more than they tried to install the attitude here. I'd have prepared the team on power running last week as the backup plan. If Losman falters, this would be something I go to. I'm not saying running McGahee all day would've worked, but it sure beats asking a rookie to throw on 3rd and long all day while giving the defense a bit more rest. Why put the pressure on the kid when you might have a better chance with the proven back?
  • Stewie
    Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
    • Aug 2002

Re: So much for Losman

McGahee was running with no purpose. The Bills average offensive line isn't going to wear down a good D-line like the Bucs'.

I don't have a problem with the run/pass ratio. My problem is not putting JP in more comfortable positions (shotgun, rollouts, etc.)
    Originally posted by Topdog
    Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    I love Weiner.
    Originally posted by mercyrule
    also cheese

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
      I have to come back to Mularkay for some deserved criticism. He went with Losman because he was encouraged by Ben's success last year, the same type of offense that Mularkay knows very well. But the one big difference between Mularkay and Wisenhunt (Steelers new OC) is that the latter apparently fits the Steelers mold and ground attack better than Mularkay - in the opener Steelers soundly beat Titans and Big Ben went 9 for 11; I would never imagine a Mularkay coached team throwing the pigskin 11 times all game, ever! The Steelers have a great running game even though they may not have an running back as talented as McGahee, which made life a lot easier for Roethlisberger. If you ask me what is the offensive blueprint yesterday, I recognized it. It's the Steelers'. They always ran down the Bucs throat, even during their superbowl season. But the same strategy simply did not work for the Bills yesterday. As a head coach, Mularkay should know that.
      I'd have to disagree with this part. Mularkey has always been known to not force players to do things that they couldn't do. Kordell and Maddox were two different players w/ different abilities and yet they both became probowlers under Mularkeys watch. Mularkey didn't force Drew to do roll outs and scrambling plays. He turned Drew from the worst qb in the league in 2003 to an average at best qb last year.

I still think Jp will be a good qb in the league. I agree w/ Moulds when he said JP has to learn to trust his wr recievers to make plays. Flutie did that and thats what made him a probowler and took us to the playoffs. Flutie made a living throwing the ball up in the air w/ the hope of MOulds coming down w/ it. Flutie made mistakes but at least he had balls. Rob and Drew didn't have any and now JP is following in their footsteps. Jp has Evans , Moulds and our TE's . Flutie at that time had moulds and Reimersma. That's it.

Kerry Collins is not much of a deep ball thrower but he threw the ball up there a few times with the hope of Moss coming down w/ the ball. I know Moulds is no Moss but he is still a good wr.

I'd rather JP get almost intecepted throwing deep than throwing for only 5-15 yards. Mularkey should tell JP to take chances deep. If he gets intercepted deep, who cares? Were gonna end up punting it anyways. If he connects, it opens up our O.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BleedinGreenNC
        • Sep 2004

You cant dismiss Losman already, he played a top rated defense for the first time, i would say this will be his worst game of the season, he will learn from this and adapt to the other games that he plays. I know it sucks to get beat like that, it happened to us last week, but i KNOW you guys will rebound from this. Think of it this way, your better off now than what you were a year ago. It will get better.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BleedinGreenNC
          You cant dismiss Losman already, he played a top rated defense for the first time, i would say this will be his worst game of the season, he will learn from this and adapt to the other games that he plays. I know it sucks to get beat like that, it happened to us last week, but i KNOW you guys will rebound from this. Think of it this way, your better off now than what you were a year ago. It will get better.
          I'm not. I was judging his game against the bucs only.

Anyone here wanna compare his play to Eli's first 2 games?
          sacrifice1

Comment

• BleedinGreenNC
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan
            I'm not. I was judging his game against the bucs only.

Great point!!

Comment

• colin
              Drew's my hero!
              • Jul 2002

losman is a limited player.

when he is on rythm he can hit a few of his favorite targets on stride with a lot of zip, when he is not he can't make easy 8 yard outs (he missed at least 5 easy passes yesterday, and without much pressure too). he is green, our O is missing speed, and we still haven't found our running game, so i expect him to get better at that.

we do need to chuck the rock, but we need to run JP and run straight at the ends of other teams with willis.

when kordel was uncomfortable he would run, that at the very least that would result in first downs. a couple first downs early yesterday would have gotten us a chance in the game.

JP should be good for 4-6 hundred yards on the ground in a season, and a whole lot of first downs.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by colin
                losman is a limited player.

when he is on rythm he can hit a few of his favorite targets on stride with a lot of zip, when he is not he can't make easy 8 yard outs (he missed at least 5 easy passes yesterday, and without much pressure too). he is green, our O is missing speed, and we still haven't found our running game, so i expect him to get better at that.

we do need to chuck the rock, but we need to run JP and run straight at the ends of other teams with willis.

when kordel was uncomfortable he would run, that at the very least that would result in first downs. a couple first downs early yesterday would have gotten us a chance in the game.

JP should be good for 4-6 hundred yards on the ground in a season, and a whole lot of first downs.
                He's got more talent than Brees.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• BleedinGreenNC
                  • Sep 2004

He's got more talent than Brees.
                  Thats for sure!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Big Ben also had a better OL that could open holes for their rbs.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• MarvLevy
                      Can I get some power to give REP?
                      • Jul 2005

U R AN IDIOT FOR MAKING THIS POST

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                        Unreachable Douche
                        • Jul 2002

Who is Eli throwing to?

He doesn't have a Moulds and Evans.

JP has the talented players around him to succeed.

Comment

• STAMPY
                          Hall of Fame Zoner
                          • Sep 2003

BTW Justa...
                          Kerry Collins IS a deep ball passer. He is a gunslinger QB. Throws one of best deep balls in game. His issue has been accuracy like drew.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                            H to the 12:20
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                            Who is Eli throwing to?

He doesn't have a Moulds and Evans.

JP has the talented players around him to succeed.
                            Burress and Hilliard (and Shockey) are a pretty talented group. Tiki has been a very solid back for several years now.

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by BleedinGreenNC
                              I agree. JP will have growing pains, how he rebounds from the Tampa game will be a better judge of him as a QB.

Comment

Working...
                              X