PDA

View Full Version : So much for Losman

ghz in pittsburgh
09-19-2005, 08:09 AM
There is no comparison.

I praised Losman's composure last week, which was the biggest asset I saw coming out of Roethlisberger last year. Well Losman showed me just the opposite this week. Confused, jitterish, frustrated, all displayed on the field plainly.

In some ways I wish Losman would have thrown an INT by now. From my vintage view of my couch, I saw a kid who is afraid to make a mistake, especially after those near picks in the first quarter. In contrast, Big Ben was throwing INTs (not many though); he was not afraid to make a mistake and he was not bothered by it. By playing loose and confident, he was also fitting balls into tight areas and hitting TDs.

I have to come back to Mularkay for some deserved criticism. He went with Losman because he was encouraged by Ben's success last year, the same type of offense that Mularkay knows very well. But the one big difference between Mularkay and Wisenhunt (Steelers new OC) is that the latter apparently fits the Steelers mold and ground attack better than Mularkay - in the opener Steelers soundly beat Titans and Big Ben went 9 for 11; I would never imagine a Mularkay coached team throwing the pigskin 11 times all game, ever! The Steelers have a great running game even though they may not have an running back as talented as McGahee, which made life a lot easier for Roethlisberger. If you ask me what is the offensive blueprint yesterday, I recognized it. It's the Steelers'. They always ran down the Bucs throat, even during their superbowl season. But the same strategy simply did not work for the Bills yesterday. As a head coach, Mularkay should know that.

The lack of power running was evident in the Texans game - see the redzone offense down to the 1 yard line. I know people have said that running is more of an attitude. What I see from Mularkay and Clements is that they tried to finesse more than they tried to install the attitude here. I'd have prepared the team on power running last week as the backup plan. If Losman falters, this would be something I go to. I'm not saying running McGahee all day would've worked, but it sure beats asking a rookie to throw on 3rd and long all day while giving the defense a bit more rest. Why put the pressure on the kid when you might have a better chance with the proven back?

Stewie
09-19-2005, 08:16 AM
McGahee was running with no purpose. The Bills average offensive line isn't going to wear down a good D-line like the Bucs'.

I don't have a problem with the run/pass ratio. My problem is not putting JP in more comfortable positions (shotgun, rollouts, etc.)

justasportsfan
09-19-2005, 08:33 AM
I have to come back to Mularkay for some deserved criticism. He went with Losman because he was encouraged by Ben's success last year, the same type of offense that Mularkay knows very well. But the one big difference between Mularkay and Wisenhunt (Steelers new OC) is that the latter apparently fits the Steelers mold and ground attack better than Mularkay - in the opener Steelers soundly beat Titans and Big Ben went 9 for 11; I would never imagine a Mularkay coached team throwing the pigskin 11 times all game, ever! The Steelers have a great running game even though they may not have an running back as talented as McGahee, which made life a lot easier for Roethlisberger. If you ask me what is the offensive blueprint yesterday, I recognized it. It's the Steelers'. They always ran down the Bucs throat, even during their superbowl season. But the same strategy simply did not work for the Bills yesterday. As a head coach, Mularkay should know that.

I'd have to disagree with this part. Mularkey has always been known to not force players to do things that they couldn't do. Kordell and Maddox were two different players w/ different abilities and yet they both became probowlers under Mularkeys watch. Mularkey didn't force Drew to do roll outs and scrambling plays. He turned Drew from the worst qb in the league in 2003 to an average at best qb last year.

I still think Jp will be a good qb in the league. I agree w/ Moulds when he said JP has to learn to trust his wr recievers to make plays. Flutie did that and thats what made him a probowler and took us to the playoffs. Flutie made a living throwing the ball up in the air w/ the hope of MOulds coming down w/ it. Flutie made mistakes but at least he had balls. Rob and Drew didn't have any and now JP is following in their footsteps. Jp has Evans , Moulds and our TE's . Flutie at that time had moulds and Reimersma. That's it.

Kerry Collins is not much of a deep ball thrower but he threw the ball up there a few times with the hope of Moss coming down w/ the ball. I know Moulds is no Moss but he is still a good wr.

I'd rather JP get almost intecepted throwing deep than throwing for only 5-15 yards. Mularkey should tell JP to take chances deep. If he gets intercepted deep, who cares? Were gonna end up punting it anyways. If he connects, it opens up our O.

BleedinGreenNC
09-19-2005, 08:39 AM
You cant dismiss Losman already, he played a top rated defense for the first time, i would say this will be his worst game of the season, he will learn from this and adapt to the other games that he plays. I know it sucks to get beat like that, it happened to us last week, but i KNOW you guys will rebound from this. Think of it this way, your better off now than what you were a year ago. It will get better.

justasportsfan
09-19-2005, 08:41 AM
You cant dismiss Losman already, he played a top rated defense for the first time, i would say this will be his worst game of the season, he will learn from this and adapt to the other games that he plays. I know it sucks to get beat like that, it happened to us last week, but i KNOW you guys will rebound from this. Think of it this way, your better off now than what you were a year ago. It will get better.I'm not. I was judging his game against the bucs only.

Anyone here wanna compare his play to Eli's first 2 games?

BleedinGreenNC
09-19-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm not. I was judging his game against the bucs only.

Anyone here wanna compare his play to Eli's first 2 games?Great point!!

colin
09-19-2005, 08:55 AM
losman is a limited player.

when he is on rythm he can hit a few of his favorite targets on stride with a lot of zip, when he is not he can't make easy 8 yard outs (he missed at least 5 easy passes yesterday, and without much pressure too). he is green, our O is missing speed, and we still haven't found our running game, so i expect him to get better at that.

we do need to chuck the rock, but we need to run JP and run straight at the ends of other teams with willis.

when kordel was uncomfortable he would run, that at the very least that would result in first downs. a couple first downs early yesterday would have gotten us a chance in the game.

JP should be good for 4-6 hundred yards on the ground in a season, and a whole lot of first downs.

justasportsfan
09-19-2005, 09:02 AM
losman is a limited player.

when he is on rythm he can hit a few of his favorite targets on stride with a lot of zip, when he is not he can't make easy 8 yard outs (he missed at least 5 easy passes yesterday, and without much pressure too). he is green, our O is missing speed, and we still haven't found our running game, so i expect him to get better at that.

we do need to chuck the rock, but we need to run JP and run straight at the ends of other teams with willis.

when kordel was uncomfortable he would run, that at the very least that would result in first downs. a couple first downs early yesterday would have gotten us a chance in the game.

JP should be good for 4-6 hundred yards on the ground in a season, and a whole lot of first downs.He's got more talent than Brees.

BleedinGreenNC
09-19-2005, 09:21 AM
He's got more talent than Brees.Thats for sure!

justasportsfan
09-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Big Ben also had a better OL that could open holes for their rbs.

MarvLevy
09-19-2005, 09:48 AM
U R AN IDIOT FOR MAKING THIS POST

TacklingDummy
09-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Anyone here wanna compare his play to Eli's first 2 games?

Who is Eli throwing to?

He doesn't have a Moulds and Evans.

JP has the talented players around him to succeed.

STAMPY
09-19-2005, 10:38 AM
BTW Justa...
Kerry Collins IS a deep ball passer. He is a gunslinger QB. Throws one of best deep balls in game. His issue has been accuracy like drew.

Jeff1220
09-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Who is Eli throwing to?

He doesn't have a Moulds and Evans.

JP has the talented players around him to succeed.

Burress and Hilliard (and Shockey) are a pretty talented group. Tiki has been a very solid back for several years now.

ddaryl
09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
You cant dismiss Losman already, he played a top rated defense for the first time, i would say this will be his worst game of the season, he will learn from this and adapt to the other games that he plays. I know it sucks to get beat like that, it happened to us last week, but i KNOW you guys will rebound from this. Think of it this way, your better off now than what you were a year ago. It will get better.
I agree. JP will have growing pains, how he rebounds from the Tampa game will be a better judge of him as a QB.

TacklingDummy
09-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Burress and Hilliard (and Shockey) are a pretty talented group. Tiki has been a very solid back for several years now.

Hilliard still a Giant? Thought I heard his name in the Bills game yesterday. Could be wrong.

Drive 4 Five
09-19-2005, 02:10 PM
I also felt that Losman was not given much control yesterday in terms of getting out of the pocket and making plays on the run. Is it just me or did the play calling seem very limited and conservative? Now I am NOT making excuses for J.P. but it seemed to me that the offenses greatest success came when they used four and five wide receiver sets, spread the field, and let Losman control the rhythm and tempo of the game. Furthermore, I thought the approach of trying to run the ball with three receivers was foolish. It worked with Williams, but only because he possesses the shiftiness and quickness that McGahee lacks. When the defense is completely ignoring the pass and bringing the house on every play, he seems more adept at finding the tiny holes (kinda like Thurman used to), and having the quickness and change of direction to dart through them. McGahee on the other hand, against a defense like Tampa's anyway, needs powerful blockers in front of him, run heavy formations with a fullback and TE's to be successful.

BleedinGreenNC
09-19-2005, 02:50 PM
I agree. JP will have growing pains, how he rebounds from the Tampa game will be a better judge of him as a QB.If he comes back next week and has a stellar game, then you know you guys are in good hands. This was to be expected one of these weeks, you guys will be fine. When you feel down, just look at the Dolphins!

Das_Bills
09-19-2005, 03:10 PM
I kow JP had a bad game, but like some said its only 1 game. I hate people that judge players after 1 bad game. If you think about it, how did Payton do as a starter for Indy. From what I recall he had a really bad season and look at him now. JP is a rookie starter and there are not many that have a great first season. I am totally behind JP even if the game was as bad as Tampa. So let pull it together and cheer for our team, JP feeds off the crow and make him more confident. Mark my words we will be fine at home, just away game that will give us problems until JP is comfortable.

Steve
Bills Backer
St Marys Chapter

TacklingDummy
09-19-2005, 03:33 PM
JP is not a rookie.
JP is no Peyton Manning.

Manning played for a big time college school and had good numbers playing decent teams.

JPs final year in college he had a Comp.% of 57, 19 TDs. Playing powerhouses East Carolina, TCU, Northewestern St., Houston, Memphis, Navy, Army, UAB, Miss. St., Southern Miss., Texas, and Louisville.

Das_Bills
09-19-2005, 03:50 PM
JP is not a rookie.
JP is no Peyton Manning.

Manning played for a big time college school and had good numbers playing decent teams.

JPs final year in college he had a Comp.% of 57, 19 TDs. Playing powerhouses East Carolina, TCU, Northewestern St., Houston, Memphis, Navy, Army, UAB, Miss. St., Southern Miss., Texas, and Louisville.
Iam not talking about there College days, I know they we good in college. Iam talking about in the NFL as a starter for the first time.

Steve
Bills Backer
St Marys Chapter

Luisito23
09-19-2005, 05:02 PM
McGahee was running with no purpose. The Bills average offensive line isn't going to wear down a good D-line like the Bucs'.

I don't have a problem with the run/pass ratio. My problem is not putting JP in more comfortable positions (shotgun, rollouts, etc.)

And the times they put him in a shotgun formation, if I remember he did fairly good...

GO BILLS!!!

tdotbillsfan
09-19-2005, 05:29 PM
wow, werent you the boys that were hailing JP just 6 days ago? Let the guy make mistakes, the bills are not expected to win the superbowl this year, so let JP learn this year, and win next year.

Mike13
09-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Im with him theres no point in saying he sucks now.,its only been 2 games. its amazing to see how many people get on and fall off of bandwagons, honestly anyone who jumps on a bandwagon isnt a true fan. You guys have a good QB for years to come, I gurantee it. You guys were retty ignorant to compare Losman to Big Ben and you shouldnt be surprised to see that Losman struggles, He is a rookie who went up aginst the first tough defense of his career, like Bleedin said he will learn and get better, have patience.