PDA

View Full Version : Personally...

Earthquake Enyart
09-19-2005, 08:18 AM
I'd have pulled JP at the half.

It was obvious that we weren't going anywhere with him at the controls.

Screw "learning experiences". We have to win games.

Novacane
09-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Pull him after his best drive of the game that ended with them putting points on the board? That's why you are a fan and not a coach :up:

Earthquake Enyart
09-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Pull him after his best drive of the game that ended with them putting points on the board? That's why you are a fan and not a coach :up:
Their one big first down?

Wow.

Valerie
09-19-2005, 09:00 AM
I disagree, Earthquake. I think it sends the wrong message. If the idea behind JP is building the team around him as the "future" I think it underminds this and sends the message to JP that no one has any faith in him. If he truly is the future, you have to let him play games and if this isn't the best season for the team, then so be it. He needs to be in there and get experience, both the good and the bad. How do you ever expect him to grow if he isn't allowed to play?

Earthquake Enyart
09-19-2005, 09:05 AM
I disagree, Earthquake. I think it sends the wrong message. If the idea behind JP is building the team around him as the "future" I think it underminds this and sends the message to JP that no one has any faith in him. If he truly is the future, you have to let him play games and if this isn't the best season for the team, then so be it. He needs to be in there and get experience, both the good and the bad. How do you ever expect him to grow if he isn't allowed to play?
Valerie, I just hate this argument.

JP was so obviously overmatched. It was only 9-3 at the half. We were still in the game. What did he learn in the 2nd half that he didn't learn in the 1st?

We didn't get any better.

L.A. Playa
this year for the most part the defenses in the league are way ahead of the offenses except in a couple instances even Peyton Manning has struggled the beginning of this season. We all knew there would be days like yesterday with JP EVERY QB in NFL history has had them. Look at the bright side itcame ona day when our defense wasnt awesome, came the begininning of the year, and cameagainst an NFC opponent. The big test is where does the team go from here. DO they suck it in and get better or do they wallow in their slop? We shall see but we will all still be fans

jamze132
Personally, I think that Coach M handled it perfect. I liked it when he benched JP for 1 series and then put him back in. I think he was trying to get his attention and hopefully he got it.

I was very impressed with JP's coments after the game when he said that this is his team and he doesn't want to see another QB in there. I just hope that bad blood between him and Kelly doesn't come from this.

Jan Reimers
09-19-2005, 09:16 AM
JP is going to take his lumps and we are going to have to live with it. Kelly Holcomb is not the future.

Yesterday was a tough road game against a very good opponent, and I trust JP will learn much from it. Besides, you would have to have benched most of the offense and defense if you had wanted to sit people down for performing poorly. It was a dreadful performance all around.

Valerie
09-19-2005, 09:20 AM
When you start playing musical quarterback it confuses everyone, IMO. No one knows who the leader of the team is and it could possibly cause problems between the players. Musical quarterbacks doesn't work. Just look at the Redskins. They play that game all the time and it gets them no where except confused. Although, with that team I do find it amusing.

Earthquake Enyart
09-19-2005, 09:26 AM
You need to play the players that give you the best chance to win the game.

It was obvious at the half that JP wasn't going to win the game.

Jan Reimers
09-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Willis should have been gone then, too, along with most of the O and D lines and McGee. This game was nowhere near all JP's fault.

The_Philster
09-19-2005, 03:38 PM
I just hope that bad blood between him and Kelly doesn't come from this.I'd like to think those two have better class than to start a QB controversy
JP is going to take his lumps and we are going to have to live with it. Kelly Holcomb is not the future.Yesterday was a tough road game against a very good opponent, and I trust JP will learn much from it. .Great post...we're starting what amounts to a rookie QB...he's bound to struggle some games...but if he's the real deal, I'd rather have him struggle now than next year
Willis should have been gone then, too, along with most of the O and D lines and McGee. This game was nowhere near all JP's fault.Yep :up:

Meathead
09-19-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm in the MM did it perfectly crowd.

DynaPaul
09-19-2005, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't have pulled him. The guy's gotta get his bearings sometime. It's only his second start...

finsrclowns
09-19-2005, 04:22 PM
This team isn't beating anyone with 13 rushing attempts. Noone. We averaged 30 last year and you'd have to think that number needs to go up some with the addition of road grader Anderson (an upgrade over Tucker) and a mobile QB who is inexperienced. If TD and Mularkey think JP can follow the successful 1st year starter season of Rothlisberger in Pitt they have to use their blueprint which for them last year meant 38 rushes a game. Williams, Villarial and Anderson are all supposed to be above average run blockers. If Gandy and Teague can be average there is no reason WM cannot average at least 4 YPC. If that's the case JP just has to convert some 3rd and shorts and 3rd and mediums whether it be running or passing. He's going to have some rough games even so, almost every QB does in his first year. But smash mouth is as much a mind set as it is a philosophy. Pittsburgh doesn't beat you with gimmicks or finesse and Buffalo needs to think the same way, even against better defenses and even if it's not working right away.

The question of how long he has to figure things out is in JP's case a very interesting one as was discussed in another thread. Noone knows the answer to this but let me just say it would be in JP's interest to find a way to win one of the next 2 ball games. If we're 1-3 going into our division schedule
Mularkey and TD will be facing a decision they don't want to have to make. But since both have said starting JP this season wasn't a step backwards they will be facing pressure to deliver. But there's no chance IMO we see Holcomb before game 5 at the very earliest. You have to give the kid a fair chance.

AndreReed83
09-19-2005, 04:50 PM
I'd have pulled JP at the half.

It was obvious that we weren't going anywhere with him at the controls.

Screw "learning experiences". We have to win games.

I agree with you 100%. And I don't have anything against Losman, he is definitely our future, but winning is just as important and Holcomb was our best chance to win.