PDA

View Full Version : Does the Bills organization have a dedication to winning?

Pride
09-19-2005, 11:32 AM
It seems to me that the Bills Organization no longer has the dedication to win in the NFL.

Over the past 3-4 years... I have really been wondering if they are doing everything they can to win. Aside from the signing of TKO.. what have they really done to PROVE to you that they are in it to win it?

EDS
09-19-2005, 02:11 PM
It seems to me that the Bills Organization no longer has the dedication to win in the NFL.

Over the past 3-4 years... I have really been wondering if they are doing everything they can to win. Aside from the signing of TKO.. what have they really done to PROVE to you that they are in it to win it?

Do you think they want to lose? That is stupid. Of course they are dedicated to winning. They have demonstrated this by making some BOLD personnel moves in the hopes of acquiring superior talent. The drafting of the McGahee (despite already having a pro bowl back), Evans (despite wide receiver not being a huge need), and Losman all are examples of attempts by the Bills organization to bring in game breaking talents.

Not only that, they have invested in veteran leadership - TKO, Sam Adams, Troy Vincent, Lawyer Milloy, Chris Villareal, etc. They have built big time defense and special teams units.

I can't believe you even question their committment to win. The Bills are absolutely committed to win, it just does not always work out that way. Give Losman and the Bills a little time, no need to get all alarmist at the first sign of trouble.

OpIv37
09-19-2005, 02:14 PM
I can't believe you even question their committment to win. The Bills are absolutely committed to win, it just does not always work out that way. Give Losman and the Bills a little time, no need to get all alarmist at the first sign of trouble.

They're committed to win, TD just doesn't approach it in the proper way- ie, "we don't need an o-line if I can find a good RB and a mobile QB. I'll just get a good O-line coach and tell people that he'll make bad players into starters".

LtBillsFan66
09-19-2005, 02:21 PM
Do you think they want to lose? That is stupid. Of course they are dedicated to winning. They have demonstrated this by making some BOLD personnel moves in the hopes of acquiring superior talent. The drafting of the McGahee (despite already having a pro bowl back), Evans (despite wide receiver not being a huge need), and Losman all are examples of attempts by the Bills organization to bring in game breaking talents.

Not only that, they have invested in veteran leadership - TKO, Sam Adams, Troy Vincent, Lawyer Milloy, Chris Villareal, etc. They have built big time defense and special teams units.

Great post.

Drive 4 Five
09-19-2005, 02:23 PM
They're committed to win, TD just doesn't approach it in the proper way- ie, "we don't need an o-line if I can find a good RB and a mobile QB. I'll just get a good O-line coach and tell people that he'll make bad players into starters".

I have to agree with you here bro. Look at the best teams in the league and they ALL are strong up front. I don't understand the Bill's negligence here really. It makes absolutely no sense. Difference in philosophy I guess.

EDS
09-19-2005, 02:25 PM

It has worked for the Super Bowl champs hasn't it?

It amazes me that people cannot accept that a team can be built with anything other then high draft picks and high priced free agents.

Drive 4 Five
09-19-2005, 02:27 PM

I don't know man. No disrespect, but that seems like an awfully silly thing to say. I mean WHY would they do that? That makes no sense.

What's next? The CONSPIRACY TO MOVE threads?

OpIv37
09-19-2005, 02:33 PM
It has worked for the Super Bowl champs hasn't it?

It amazes me that people cannot accept that a team can be built with anything other then high draft picks and high priced free agents.

NE may not have high priced or high profile players on their O-line, but they're still GOOD. Our O-line isn't.

mysticsoto
09-19-2005, 02:38 PM
And what's the proper way to approach? It's hard to tell which people are going to end up being good linemen and which aren't. But I'd say they tried to address the line strongly this year. Gandy, as far as I'm concerned, has panned out well. Everyone was down about JP getting killed on the blind side and that hasn't even come close to happening. Bennie Anderson was supposed to be an upgrade to Ross Tucker and Lawrence Smith. Let's face it, Smith did not do well - and didn't even make the team this year, and Tucker...even if he had made the team, he had health issues. As I recall, he was caught holding a 3rd stringer from reaching JP. If you can't beat a 3rd stringer in the preseason, you don't belong on the starting lineup. Teague is good at making calls and at trapping. Villarial is okay and Mike Williams...well, what more can you ask for TD to do - he drafted him at the 4th spot trying to improve the line. Now in this year's draft we take Preston who has already played with the starters and looked good. Geisinger is a project, but nevertheless, a drafted prospect. Jason Peters is coming along fine...and was the one who scored our 1st and only touchdown so far this season.

So how can you say Donahoe hasn't done what he can for the Oline? What else could he have done? Brought in Verba? Not at $5 million a game which is what he specifically stated. And do we want someone who cares more about money than playing? What's to say he would pan out anyway? He could be a flop in which case you would be slamming TD for paying so much to someone who doesn't deserve it (much like alot of people do with MW).

Fact of the matter is, it's easy to talk when we lose and just point out flaws...how come nobody was complaining about the Oline last week when Willis ran for over a hundred yards and we dominated Houston is almost every way? People are saying Houston is a crappy team now...maybe, I don't know that yet...they faced two strong defenses in ours and Pittsburghs who haven't let them show anything.

I realize that losing in the way that we lost this week is disconcerting and frustrating, but it's not the end of the world. We are still 1-1. Last year we went 0-4, that was depressing. I know that this year we have alot more tougher schedule and virtually every game will be a tough one, but I don't see...with what we had money-wise, cap-wise and draft-wise, how TD did "not" pay attention to the O-line and what more he could have done that might have been better...

TacklimgDummy
09-19-2005, 02:51 PM
If they were 20 million under the cap like some teams you could say they were not committed to winning. They spend the money needed to win the just don't spend it very wisely sometimes.

EDS
09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Great post.

Thank you. It absolutely amazes me how reactionary people become over one bad game. The strange thing is many of the people going gloom and doom this week are the ones who flew off the handle at anyone who suggested that Losman wasn't destined for greatness after week one.

EDS
09-19-2005, 02:57 PM
NE may not have high priced or high profile players on their O-line, but they're still GOOD. Our O-line isn't.

The team has two new starters from last season, two other starting o-lineman have missed time already this year, and you are already giving up on the season? The line has played much better this year compared to at the same point last season, and I expect them to improve as the season progresses.

TacklingDummy
09-19-2005, 02:59 PM
The Bills have needed a QB since Jim Kelly. They have put to much commitment into hoping a QB will be good instead of going out and getting a good one.

EDS
09-19-2005, 03:27 PM
The Bills have needed a QB since Jim Kelly. They have put to much commitment into hoping a QB will be good instead of going out and getting a good one.

Out of curiousity, how does a team "go out and get" a good quarterback?

Is there an example of a team in the past few years that just went out and got a good established quarterback that they did not draft? The Bills Sure there are free agent QBs who turn out well (i.e., Delhomme, Green, Brooks, etc.) but by and large those QBs were not well established before they were acquired, so it was just as risky as drafting someone.

PromoTheRobot
09-20-2005, 01:10 AM
I have to agree with you here bro. Look at the best teams in the league and they ALL are strong up front. I don't understand the Bill's negligence here really. It makes absolutely no sense. Difference in philosophy I guess.

Explain what you mean by "strong up front." It's not like the Bills have 5 midgets lined up. They O-line averages about 310. So size is not their problem. No, they don't have 5 pro bowlers, but what team does? Even the good O-lines are made up of guys you never heard of before. Maybe it's the coaching? It took half the season last year for the line to jell. Considering the new players it may be a few weeks before McNally has them firing on all cylinders.

I agree the line has not been good, but I don't know what TD was suppposed to do. There was not a lot of stud lineman in FA. Ross Verba? That guy mentally quit football last season. You want to throw cap money you will need to resign Nate Clements on someone like that?

PTR

PromoTheRobot
09-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Out of curiousity, how does a team "go out and get" a good quarterback?

Is there an example of a team in the past few years that just went out and got a good established quarterback that they did not draft? The Bills Sure there are free agent QBs who turn out well (i.e., Delhomme, Green, Brooks, etc.) but by and large those QBs were not well established before they were acquired, so it was just as risky as drafting someone.
Excellent reply. Some people make it sound like you can get good players at Sam's Club...it's just a matter of getting one.

PTR