PDA

View Full Version : The Colts will never win anything anytime soon

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Not only do they have one of the biggest chokers as far as head coaches go, their QB has also never won a damn thing throughout his College and NFL career.

Manning has played terrible in every playoff game in his career. He's kinda like Drew Bledsoe except he doesn't take as many sacks. Throws for 4,000 yards about every year but never wins anything. His INT's also have been pretty high over the years. He's overrated if you ask me.

Dungy and Manning just isn't a good combination. One of these days they have to be bound to win a playoff game. Might not happen anytime soon though. I knew the Jets would cover, but I didn't think it'd be that bad.

lordofgun
01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
You start some good threads man.

I agree. About the time Dungy finally gets their D to a high level, their O will be old...It's Tampa all over again.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
You start some good threads man.

I agree. About the time Dungy finally gets their D to a high level, their O will be old...It's Tampa all over again.

I wouldn't really say their offense would be getting old. Even if it took 2-3 years to build his defense similar to Tampa's, they are all still losers. They will more then likely choke again. They'll never make it very far.

Dungy never won a playoff game, Manning has never won a playoff or bowl game. It's a combination that reaks of failure.

4thAndLong
01-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Typical Dungy...

He builds up the D, and turns the O into a bunch of pussies...

SABURZFAN
01-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by 4thAndLong
Typical Dungy...

He builds up the D, and turns the O into a bunch of pussies...

that descibes the majority of DC's who become HC's.

Novacane
01-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Why is Dungy so highly thought of? He gets fired and has another job before the week is out! Never won a thing in Tampa but somehow he is considered a great coach?

The_Philster
01-05-2003, 07:13 PM
He still took a joke of a team to a higher level than they'd been at in 16-17 years.

Novacane
01-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Yes but he can't seem to get a team over the hump! Is'nt the goal to win it all?

The_Philster
01-05-2003, 07:21 PM
yeah....but you have to get to respectability and the playoffs first. He just didn't have the offensive staff capable of pushing them over the top.

Novacane
01-05-2003, 07:26 PM
I would not want him as Bills coach. Even over Greg. GW has not had a chance to prove what he will do in the playoffs. Dungy is 0 for 5. Being average sucks IMO

The_Philster
01-05-2003, 07:28 PM
GW hasn't even proven himself to be average. He has an 11-19 record. Dungy may not have been a great coach...but he was a playoff coach...which makes him at least average. The jury's still out on Williams but Dungy is proven to be at least average.

Novacane
01-05-2003, 07:35 PM
I agree Phil. GW has not proven anything. I don't even like him. I'm just hoping he learns and becomes a good HC. I just would not really want Dungy because he has a long track record of great things in the regular season only to choke out in the first round of the playoffs. He'd make a great canadate for the Dolphins HC!

The_Philster
01-05-2003, 07:36 PM
:lol!: Too true

Tatonka
01-05-2003, 10:29 PM
players lose games too... it is not like dungy is throwing the ball.

Typ0
01-05-2003, 10:51 PM
I would have to disagree if you married TB defense with Indy offense (when they are healthy) they might just run the table right from week one no matter who was coaching. The INDY defense is just plain pathetic and has been for years. Remember how many great defensive drafts they had when they were stacked on offense? Well it's really hurting Dungy right now. Plus they were beat up something terrible most of the season on offense. Keep Mannings weapons in there playing with him and they will score 35 points a game.

I just don't think this thread is fair at all to Dungy. He didn't get fired in TB because he was a failure there he had as much to do with building that team into a constant threat as anyone. Sometimes things just need to be shaken up a bit to make things happen. I'm not a big Dungy fan but you guys aren't giving him a fair shake. Let's see what he does in Indy over the course of the next few years. They really weren't that good of a football team this year and they won ten games.

dolfan25
01-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder

Dungy never won a playoff game

I don't know how you play in the NFC Championship game without winning a playoff game.

It's his 1st year there and since Edjerrin Polian hasn't exactly done a great drafting job.

timfromjersey
01-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Typo as usual, makes some very valid points. I would say so does dolfan if he wasn't a dolphin fan, but as everbody knows, it is, in the realm of physics, impossible for a fish fan to have a cogent, sentient thought regarding football.

First off, Tampa Bay has been the pre-eminent, Perennial defensive Power-house in the NFL for the past decade, thanks to Dungy. They constantly made the playoff, which puts fannies in the seats, so if I'm an owner, that suits me fine. But eventually, if you can't win the big one, you make a change. Doesn't matter who the coach is or what his lifetime record is. Still, Dungy was a very succesful coach, regular season after regualar season. The Bucs never had a quite right running game or a truly decent qb. You absolutely need a good running game with a dominant defense to win with a mediocre qb, because it sets up play action passing, which is a much more productive passing situation for a qb. Winning every year hurt the Bucs draft positioning to adress these need. It is often a catch 22.

Now the Colts. For years, since they've had Manning, when they've made the playoffs it was because or a solid, sometimes specatcular running game when edgerring James was healty, and one of the best play action qbs in the league. It was their horrible defense that cost them playoff wins. Manning is not a shoot-em out type of qb. Now with Dungy, the defense improved, a major accomplishment in itself, though they were not great or even really good. But this year the Colts didn't have a running game to speak of, yet Manning and Harrison and a somewhat improved defense squeezed them into the Playoffs.
I put it to you that when not if Dungy improves this dee into a dominant one, and the colts get their running game straightened out, you will see Manning play action them to a few playoff wins.

I used to think the same way as PA STH, that manning is the same as Bledsoe, someone who will always choke in the playoffs, but I now think they have to have the right type of offense and a very good defense to get them to the big show.

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2003, 01:17 PM
First of all I think all this talk about building up a D, when they just gave up 41 points is very funny. :snicker:

It pains me to say this but Manning looks like Joe Ferguson. When he fell behind, there was a forelorn look in his eyes. No swagger. They had all the talent, but no killer instinct.

Wonder if Eli's stock fell a little bit with his brother's showing.

timfromjersey
01-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Yes EE but for the season, the Colts defense improved statistically. Plus, I wouldn't totally judge them playing against perhaps the hottest team in the league right now, peaking just at the right moment, with a qb with a 104. what-ever qb rating.

You are again right however, about the show of heart from manning. Should have been a little more fight to him. But I believe, from watching his setup and mechanics, that the horrible turf conditions effected him big time.