PDA

View Full Version : my 2 cents

venis2k1
09-19-2005, 04:50 PM
"We want to establish the running game and get it going, we want to be a physical team," Mike Mularkey 6/15/05

its been well known that our gameplan this year was for the most part run the ball ALOT, have great defense and great special teams, this should keep the presure off of our (near) rookie QB. what happened to this? look at our first 5 offensive drives last week.

1st drive: 1 run, 2 passes, punt.
2nd drive: 1 run, 2 passes, punt.
3rd drive: 1 run, 2 passes, punt.
4th drive: 1 run, 2 passes, punt.
5th drive: 1 run, 2 passes, saftey.

am i wrong? look it up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=250918027&quarter=0

final:

32 pass attempts

17 runs.

i realize we were playing from behind and blah blah blah, but aren't the first 20 plays usually scripted anyways? if mularky didnt have a power run game when he had slash and Jerome (fricken) bettis, let me say that again, JEROME BETTIS in Pitt what makes you think he will finally come to a run dominant offense here in buffalo? but what do i know, im just a fan.

finsrclowns
09-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Those ratios need to reverse themselves for us to be successful. I don't get it either.

mchurchfie
09-19-2005, 05:33 PM
I agree, there was absolutely no committment to the run yesterday. Mularkey and his OC got schooled by Kiffin and Co.:down:

FlyingDutchman
09-19-2005, 06:09 PM
I think MM is trying to outsmart the opponent too much. He knows they're expecting run, so hes trying to do the complete opposite so the run is loosend up. I think he might be getting too cute and should stick to more of our strengths.

venis2k1
09-19-2005, 06:17 PM
i have five words that MM needs to learn,

Sixty-five toss power trap

And Keep matriculating the ball down the field

Drive 4 Five
09-19-2005, 09:36 PM
i have five words that MM needs to learn,

Sixty-five toss power trap

And Keep matriculating the ball down the field

i ThInK YoU ShOuLd LeArN tO sPeAK pRoPeR eNgLiSh...

:winkpunch

Tatonka
09-19-2005, 10:32 PM
running the ball would be great if mcgahee was hitting the hole and not dancing in the backfield.. i honestly dont think the game would have been different if flipped those number of run/pass.. we didnt do anything good on offense until the final drive.

Tinboy
09-20-2005, 02:59 AM
running the ball would be great if mcgahee was hitting the hole and not dancing in the backfield.. i honestly dont think the game would have been different if flipped those number of run/pass.. we didnt do anything good on offense until the final drive.

Amen to that. The way MCG is running right now doesn't take the pressure off JP, he needs to improve if where going to have a good off.

vicmantak
09-20-2005, 06:09 AM
venis2k1,

It's a great thread with very interesting observations.

IMO the offensive gameplan was totally disrupted by a miserable OL performance:

No holes to establish a running game, No confidence, No communication, No connexion, No TEs presence, No leadership, No courage and incredibly it seems that Bills were extremely intimidated by the 12th man (noise) from the beginning...

To be frank, most of the people predicted Buccaneers over the Bills... but not in that innocent way...

Historian
09-20-2005, 08:00 AM
I agree, there was absolutely no committment to the run yesterday. Mularkey and his OC got schooled by Kiffin and Co.:down:

Now that you mention it, there was no committment to the run in the preseason either.

I thought the Bills were just saving McGahee, and not trying to show too much, but I was wrong. The run game simply isn't there.

alohabillsfan
09-20-2005, 10:56 AM
I think we need to get JP involved early in the game with SAFE passes short to the TE's and Rb's. Where was the little roll out flip to campbell or the swing pass to shelton who is never covered? Also I did not tivo the game but anyone who has is recorded please tell me how many passes to the right side where there? it seems like 75% of them? Bottom line JP is young and they need him to move so he can see the field, look medium or long if it's not there dump it to the TE or RB!

venis2k1
09-20-2005, 04:04 PM
i ThInK YoU ShOuLd LeArN tO sPeAK pRoPeR eNgLiSh...

:winkpunch

I think you need a lesson in NFL history. :winkpunch

http://images.art.com/images/products/large/10108000/10108394.jpg

Luisito23
09-20-2005, 04:48 PM
I agree with your 2 pennies doggy........

GO BILLS!!!!!!

ZEUS
09-20-2005, 05:19 PM
I said this in another thread. But anyway, I really wish we didn't lose Travis Henry. I like McGahee, but I was never completely sold on him being "the man." He seems too breakable and seemed to be worried about it (or somthing) last Sunday. Henry and Mcgahee would have been a great 1-2 combo, but I don't think there was enough room for both egos. Shaud Williams (or Shad as they were calling him in Tampa) is not going to cut it.

Drive 4 Five
09-21-2005, 10:04 PM

Well educate me homie. I'm down. Now that you mention it, that phrase has a ring of familiarity. Let me guess. Vince Lombardi? I made the comment because the phrase did not make any sense to me. Sorry for being a smart ass, it just struck me as a wrong way to use the word matriculating.

3 seconds later...

Ahhh. just noticed the picture. My bad. Hey, there is a good reason they call me a block head.

DaBills
09-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Just saw this thread after posting in another on this. It sure seems like MM is trying to develop JP at the cost of the running game by having him throw so much. Almost like he has to prove to everyone he made the right decision in going with JP. Just a hunch.

DaBills
09-21-2005, 10:21 PM
And that picture of Stram is funny because now the NFL apparently won't allow suits on the sideline. I believe the SF coach wanted to wear tie/jacket/suit this year but the nfl said coaches can only wear team apparel.

Billz_fan
09-22-2005, 07:54 AM

Isn't that the "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd in the background also ? Former Chiefs defensive lineman and WWF wrestler in the 70's.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Isn't that the "Big Cat" Ernie Ladd in the background also ? Former Chiefs defensive lineman and WWF wrestler in the 70's.
It sure looks like Ernie Ladd, although I'm not sure if he played for the Chiefs--I know he played for the Chargers. It appears that he is in street clothes with a Chiefs jacket on, so I wonder if Ladd ever coached for the Chiefs. hhhhmmmmm!

Night Train
09-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Ladd played for the Chargers first and then the Chiefs towards the end of the 60's.