PDA

View Full Version : This is who I'd want as a replacement for Price if he doesn't return

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-05-2003, 06:05 PM
I'd like to see Darryl Jackson in a Bills uniform. He's got the speed we want, and is pretty elusive. I don't think there would be a huge dropoff from what Price did with Jackson in the lineup.

Matt Hasselback played good football towards the end of the year. He might not wanna leave Seattle now. Him and Koren Robinson are a good young duel.

How much cheaper would Jackson be compared to Peerless? I think he should be our 2nd option.

SABURZFAN
01-05-2003, 06:42 PM
i agree.he's a couple years younger than price too.k.dyson would be a choice that i would consider too.

4thAndLong
01-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Right now, we're spoiled at WR.

We shouldn't waste money on one with Reed looking promising.

SABURZFAN
01-05-2003, 06:46 PM
i doubt we'll waste money at WR.we have a defense that needs help.jackson or dyson would be my choices.i'd like to see l.coles but that may cost too much.

Bert102176
01-05-2003, 06:50 PM
I say we sit down and do a lot of talking and try to get Price before the free agency period begins in March, before any other team can legaly talk to him.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-05-2003, 06:51 PM
Right now we're spoiled at WR, but what if Price leaves? We don't even know how Reed would do as a starter, but what if one of them got hurt? I guess we can just throw some scrub in as the #2 and be alright.

Our offense played bad enough the 2nd half of the year. I couldn't imagine downgrading it.

BufBlue4ever60
01-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Isnt Dyson the one who scored the TD on the homerun throw fowrard?

The_Philster
01-05-2003, 07:17 PM
yep...and also the one who came up short at the 1-yard line in the Super Bowl vs the Rams

Marcos20
01-05-2003, 07:26 PM
HOw old is jackson?

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-05-2003, 07:29 PM
About the same age as Peerless

iceblizzard69
01-05-2003, 08:32 PM
I think the Bills would be better off trying to improve their defense then spending a lot of money on a second WR. Reed won't blow you away with attributes, but he does a great job at getting open. He doesn't have Price's speed but his speed isn't bad.

itsandthings
01-05-2003, 09:48 PM
I think the sleeper WR of the FA class is Tai Streets. He is young, just coming into his own and has the total package (size, speed, hands). He will likely make decent money, but not the same as Peerless will draw. SF would love to re-sign him, but they may not have the cap room.

Due to his play, Streets voided the final 2 years of his contract to become a free agent this offseason.

Tatonka
01-05-2003, 10:04 PM
news flash for you guys.. jackson and coles are both RESTRICTED free agents.. not unrestricted.. the reason i know is because i pointed them out early as guys we should target and someone told me.. i looked it up.. it is correct..

so i seriously doubt either would be in a bills uni... although i dont know about tia streets.. but he is a young stud for sure.

i would take any of those three in a heartbeat..

Mr. Miyagi
01-05-2003, 10:33 PM
I'll take Streets, but don't know how much he'll be wanting if SF goes far this year. I think the farther they go, the more chances for Streets to show his stuff, the more $$ he'll want.

Tatonka
01-05-2003, 10:40 PM
i also dont think that any of those guys want to be a number 3 wr.. but josh deserves his shot if pp leaves.. dont you think?

while alot of us (including myself) would like pp to stay for a reasonable pricetag, i really want to see reed get his shot too.. he deserves it. how can any of us say that reed wont be a damn good wr.. he could easy play the same game that another famous Reed played.. same build, nack for YAC... i truely believe that we can be just a strong with him over there at #2... but it is imperitive that we replace the #3 spot with a good player too, because reed was very valuable in that spot this year.

LABillsFan
01-06-2003, 02:21 AM
Reed doesn't have the speed to Compliment Moulds but does have good instinct and hands for the 3rd receiver spot and there isn't enough depth at that position. Moss is half of what he was when he had Carter, Owens and Stokes, Reed and Lofton, Lewis and Clark, Laurel and Hardy, good things happen in twos, except for Sid and Nancy, RIP.

Michael82
01-06-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
Reed doesn't have the speed to Compliment Moulds but does have good instinct and hands for the 3rd receiver spot and there isn't enough depth at that position. Moss is half of what he was when he had Carter, Owens and Stokes, Reed and Lofton, Lewis and Clark, Laurel and Hardy, good things happen in twos, except for Sid and Nancy, RIP.

Finally, someone says something that I agree with. All those people that think Josh Reed would make a great #2 receiver...I don't think so. He's not ready yet. You need to have your #1 and #2 compliment eachother. Reed does NOT have the speed to compliment Moulds. Price does. We need to push to resign Peerless Price or go after Lavernues Coles to screw the Jets! :evil:

They BOTH have the necessary speed to go with Moulds. Josh Reed is a GREAT 3rd WR because of his great hands and ability to get open. Bledsoe just needs to learn to spread the ball around a little bit more. :D

timfromjersey
01-06-2003, 11:55 AM
If I remember the draft report on Josh Reed, He is almost exactly the same type of reciever as Jackson from Seattle. Why try to sign Jackson when you have Reed. From what I've seen of Reed, I think he can be a very capable no. 2. He, like many players, just need playing time to flourish. If the Bills do lose Price, they need to find a player like Price to go vertical and stretch the defense. I do like a speed guy in the slot though instead of no. 2 split out. Does anybody know if there is such a free agent out there with speed? Bills will also lack serious depth if they lose Price, so they will have to draft later for that position.

(Yes, I read Jackson is RFA) The Bills would have a better chance at Jackson than at Coles. Jackson will never be a no. 1 reciever. Coles is a no. 1 caliber wr. Coles, even if an unrestricted FA, would not leave the Jets! That is a Pipe-dream. SABURZFAN, you have a better chance at getting pregnant, than ever seeing Coles on the Bills

timfromjersey
01-06-2003, 12:13 PM
Mike 3228374248948-2479, :freako: :D

You don't necessarily need a speed guy to compliment Moulds. Often It's better to have a control reciever as a no. 2. Someone who runs great routes, finds seams or gaps in the defense, has good hands and can make the tough catch. Chris Carter comes to mind as an example. He complimented the speed of Randy Moss nicely and had the two been paired earlier in Carters career, they would have been one of the most prolific pair of wrs in the history of the NFL.

I do however like speed and believe the no. 3 should have speed or in the case of the triplet of Moulds, Price and Reed, 2 of the 3 should be speedsters. Speed puts a lot of pressure on defenses but you have to have on clutch reciever to make the short or mid-range reception in traffic. I favor the second speed guy in the slot pos.

WG
01-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
Right now we're spoiled at WR, but what if Price leaves? We don't even know how Reed would do as a starter, but what if one of them got hurt? I guess we can just throw some scrub in as the #2 and be alright.

Our offense played bad enough the 2nd half of the year. I couldn't imagine downgrading it.
'
What? Again with the "we need to pass more?"

Both WRs had plenty of yards and catches in the last 8 games. If we didn't win more games b/c the O went sour, it wasn't b/c we didn't throw enough. :rolleyes:

Moulds 43 grabs for 502 yards
Price 43 for 502

That should have been plenty to get the job done. The problem was not yards, it was scoring. When we ran the ball we won. When we didn't, we lost.

Reed will be fine as a #2. I'll step out and predict that after two seasons he'll be the top possession WR in the league. He runs harder and gains more YAC than many, many WRs. He has plenty of speed. Not sure what some of you were watching. Maybe reading his profile a little too much. His on-the-field speed is fine.

timfromjersey
01-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Wys, I agree with you 99.9%!

But I think you are mistaking some of Reeds explosiveness off his cuts with flat out barn burning speed. I don't think he has the class of speed to be a dominant vertical reciever. I do agree wholeheartedly he can make the tough catch and will be a fine no. 2. Just needs time on the field. I also agree with your comments on recieving production. From what I saw this year, Bills have enough offense to make playoffs next year. Your right about scoring though. Bills need to improve Red zone production in terms of TD %. Henry, stopping his fumbling on the doorstep of the endzone will alone, make a huge difference.

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Moulds isn't exactly Bobby Chandler ("I may not be that fast, but I'll bet I can beat all the guys in the taverns....") Moulds is fast enough to stretch the D. Of the FA's mentioned, Coles could be the best bargain. I never liked Streets. He's not tough enough.

timfromjersey
01-06-2003, 01:27 PM
Nobody will pry Coles from the Jets. It isn't going to happen. Not now, not soon! Everybody needs to get that out of their heads.

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by timfromjersey
Nobody will pry Coles from the Jets. It isn't going to happen. Not now, not soon! Everybody needs to get that out of their heads.

There's no way Coles is gonna leave the Jets. He'd be stupid too.

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2003, 01:33 PM
Hope they tag him. :snicker:

justasportsfan
01-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Forget Jackson or Peerless!

I heard this guy is fast. He may even take Henry's job too.

Tatonka
01-06-2003, 03:47 PM
you guys are nuts.. when our offense was the best it ever was, it was reed and lofton. lofton stretched the field, reed thrived on the underneath stuff.

moulds can do both alone. and josh can be exactly what andre was. you dont have to be lightning fast to catch deep passes either. andre caught plenty of deep passes. it is important to find a decen 3rd wr, but andre Roane could be the guy to fill that role too.. he is a burner.

our passing game will be fine. reed will be one of the best young wrs in the game. you will see.

look at SF. owens is a best (like moulds).. who does he have? dont sit there and tell me that streets and stokes are way better than reed. streets is decent, and stokes is a bust draft pick.. a bum .. some of you say reed isnt ready.. HOW DO YOU KNOW?? what has he done that makes you think that he is NOT ready??

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-06-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

some of you say reed isnt ready.. HOW DO YOU KNOW?? what has he done that makes you think that he is NOT ready??

What has he done to prove he IS ready? He did a good job when we threw to him, but he is a long ways away from what Price is.

Tatonka
01-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder

What has he done to prove he IS ready? He did a good job when we threw to him, but he is a long ways away from what Price is.

listen to yourself.. "he did a good job when we threw to him" ROFL.. come on man.. what else do you want..

if he was dropping everything his rookie year, or running the wrong routes, then fine.. i say he is not ready.. but he did everything that was asked and became a crutch for drew on third downs as much as anyone else did..

no body is asking him to be price.. we are asking him to be the stud he was in college.. we are asking him to be the guy that we drafted high in the second round, and everyone thought of as having first round talent..

so i ask again.. what has he done to show he is NOT ready..

SABURZFAN
01-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Marcos20
HOw old is jackson?

2 years younger than peerless.

SABURZFAN
01-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by timfromjersey
SABURZFAN, you have a better chance at getting pregnant, than ever seeing Coles on the Bills

i don't think so,bub.the thought of me being pregnant???:eek:

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Being a #3 WR next to Price and Moulds will make anyone look decent if they run some plays for you.

I'm not saying he sucks, but I don't know if he's ready to step into the #2 spot. Whether Reed is the answer at #2 remains to be seen. All I know is our offense won't be the same without three good WR's.

Myself, I want Price back. If he doesn't come back we need to bring in another threat. This offense isn't the same without Price.

Akhippo
01-06-2003, 08:37 PM
I dont buy the notion that he hasnt proven he isnt ready. He gets thrown to once or twice a game, catches the ball, and that shows that he can be a starting WR. Dont buy it. Hes got to prove it with more than a couple catches a game. Does anybody think hes ready to catch 70 - 80 a year. Maybe so, but I wouldnt bet on it just yet. Whatever that outcome, a speed third receiver should be signed. If JR isnt resigned and LC is cut, who is there to throw to. DM is alright, frightning receiving threat, no.

colin
01-06-2003, 09:10 PM
I would not put any of those dudes in the same spot as Price, he is better than all of them.