Did the Chargers really make the right decision in the 2001 NFL Draft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA Season Ticket Holder
    You mess up my night, and I'll mess up your day
    • Jul 2002

Did the Chargers really make the right decision in the 2001 NFL Draft?

Looking back on it after 2 years, I'd say they made a mistake trading Vick.

Thomlinson is a great RB, and Drew Brees will be a decent football player, but not great.

If they would've tooken Vick they still could've gotten a great RB in the 2001 or 2002 draft. They could've even taken Travis Henry in the 2nd round.

With backs like Henry, McCallister, and Portis all coming out in the last 2 years, I think that would've been a better combination then what they have now. Even Green and Duckett should be good backs.

Great RB's are a lot easier to find then great QB's. Instead of a great QB and RB, they have a great RB and good QB.

Brees is decent but he doesn't bring anything to the table like Vick will over his career.
    Last edited by PA Season Ticket Holder; 01-05-2003, 07:35 PM.

BUFFALO BILLS AND MLB POOLS

http://www.billszone.com/YourSite/global/nfl/pool.php?action=home
  • BledsoeTOreedfor6
    • Jul 2002

I agree with you PA. I'd take Vick over any QB in the League. He can only get better. Chargers were just gun shy after the Leaf fiasco and I can't say I blame em. Both teams made out ok but the Falcons got the better player IMO

Comment

• Jul 2002

If they wouldn't have traded the pick then Butler also wouldn't have been able to acquire Tim Dwight. Then he wouldn't have ever had the opportunity to pay a 3rd WR like a 2nd WR. I'm sure he would've found somebody else to blow it on though.

Comment

• BledsoeTOreedfor6
        • Jul 2002

Imagine if they had taken Vick and then Travis Henry!

Comment

• Jul 2002

Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
          Imagine if they had taken Vick and then Travis Henry!
          Scary stuff man

Comment

• The Natrix
            • Jul 2002

well, it is hard to call it a mistake. They did pretty good with the picks that they had.

however, hindsight being 20-20, if I was Atlanta I would not even consider trading Vick for those two. Brees/LT is about equal to Bledsoe/Henry, and I doubt any Bills Fans (unless on crack) would have a problem trading the two of them for Vick (as much as a like Henry)

Vick is the s*%t

Byrd.

Comment

• iceblizzard69
              Doh!
              • Jul 2002

The trade made a lot of sense for SD. They got Tomlinson, who is a top 5 back. I don't think Brees is great or anything but he is smart and will become a good QB. Dwight is a good returner as well. I think they also got another first day pick out of it as well. Vick may be amazing, but the trade was good for SD. It fits their style better to have Tomlinson, who ran for 1600 yards this year. Vick is amazing, its like the Saints-Dolphins deal, it works out very well for both sides and both sides are happy.

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

i am scared vick will have a short career.. he takes a beating. but i cant think of a player i enjoy watching more.

i would be my luck.. he, henry and portis are my fantasy football keepers
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

Vick won't last long if he keeps playing the way he does. The trade was clearly a win-win for both teams I think they both improved themselves more by making the trade. Remember the dollars associated with Vick Butler needs those funds to piss away somewhere else so he can have some more fun.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                    • Aug 2002

I think it goes way beyond the players between those two teams. The Chargers coaching staff and Brass comes up way short compared to ATL. Not that ATL has the best coaching staff in the NFL, but Wade is a very good DC and Reeves does assemble good teams. Can you imagine if they get Price and a little more help on D? They will be contending for the next few years, while SD will go (if you go by Marty's record) 10-6 get in the playoffs and flop. He couldn't do it in Cleveland, or KC and he won't be able to do this time around. Marty ball only works to a certain extent.
                    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                      short bus extraordinaire
                      • Jul 2002

as much as i hate to say it,i think the buthole made the right choice.tomlinson's a stud.
                      Originally posted by yordad
                      Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• The_Philster
                        • Jul 2002

It was a good move for both teams. Atlanta needed a QB most of all while San Diego needed help at RB and QB. They got a great RB and a pretty good QB.
                        The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• DIHARD2
                          • Sep 2002

Unless Vick start wearing running back gear he's not going to last long. A quarterback of his caliber is fun to watch, but the chances he takes, I'm sure every time he runs out of that pocket and not sliding feet first the whole offensive coaches staff holds their breath and I'm sure they keep a defibrillator on the sideline.

The Chargers have the right idea for the system they run, they just need some help on special teams and they will be an elite team this next season. I'm glad that they aren't in our conference we have enough tough teams to worry about as it is.

I liked the idea that Miami the Jetss and New England are flirting with (((((((((CAP H*LL)))))))))))) for their future.

It's only going to help our cause, we won't have to worry about being beat up by our own division, twice each team. I like the toughness, and playing tough in our division, but, I would rather we use it on out of division teams, because of the way the new alignment is creating, or deciding which teams make the playoffs.

It's almost as though divisions like our's and the toughness each team brings, will eliminate one team in our division from the wild-card like it did this year. I think Miami is a lot better team then the Pittsburgh, I think they would go further than what the Eagles are going to go.

I know for sure Miami is a better team then the Brown's. They have (Miami) that is, a running and a passing game they aren't one-dimensional like the Brown's are.

PS I edia Eagles to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is what I meant originally.
                          GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...
                          Last edited by DIHARD2; 01-06-2003, 07:38 AM.
                          "The right of free speech is the God given right of each man to make an ass of himself." B Franklin

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

I'm with you Dihard. When I look at Vick, I see Gale Sayers. One knee injury to slow him down, and he's just an average Joe. But it will be fun while it lasts.

Comment

• jdbillsfan
                              • Oct 2002

You can't base anything on the idea that Mike Vick might get hurt. This is basically his first year of starting and learning the offense. He will only get better at knowing when to run and when to slide.

Any player can get hurt at anytime.

I say the chargers made a mistake also. Look who's team is in the playoffs. LT is awesome, but RB's are usually easier to get than QB's. I agree with PA Season ticket holder.

Comment

Working...
                              X