PDA

View Full Version : On This Date in Bills History....

Historian
09-21-2005, 05:49 AM
1972- Saban waived James Harris, and signed former New England quarterback Mike Taliaferro, who was actually in camp with the Bills that summer.

1975- The Bills spanked the Jets, 42-14 in the season opener at Rich. Simpson rushed for 173 yards.

1978- Former Bills linebacker John Tracey dies.

1980- The Bills win a shootout at the Superdome against the Saints 35-26.

1986- Jim Kelly gets his first win against the St. Louis Cardinals, 17-10.

1987- Despite the threat of the league using replacement players, the Bills vote to honor the strike.

1989- Chris Burkett was waived by the Bills and immediately was signed by the Jets.

1997- After falling behind the Colts 26-0, Todd Collins engineers a comeback to win 37-35.

Earthquake Enyart
09-21-2005, 06:03 AM
I know I've said this many times, but I've never seen a man who can throw the ball like James Harris.

Earthquake Enyart
09-21-2005, 06:28 AM
I know I've said this many times, but I've never seen a man who can throw the ball like James Harris.
Who negged me? :mad:

You can take all the biggest arms you've ever seen.... Elway, Favre, whoever. James Harris could throw a ball harder and farther than anybody.

Doesn't mean he was all that great a QB. :ill:

vicmantak
09-21-2005, 07:01 AM
I still wonder why Chris Burkett was waived...
I thought Reed and him really made Jim Kelly one of the happiest men in this world...

Dozerdog
09-21-2005, 07:06 AM
I still wonder why Chris Burkett was waived...
I thought Reed and him really made Jim Kelly one of the happiest men in this world...Because he was acting like a jerk?

You really have to be a jerk if you piss off Marv Levy in mid-season

vicmantak
09-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Because he was acting like a jerk?

You really have to be a jerk if you piss off Marv Levy in mid-seasonThanks and sorry, I didn't know about it...
This is one of the reasons that this kind of threads are really interesting and important.

Historian
09-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks and sorry, I didn't know about it...
This is one of the reasons that this kind of threads are really interesting and important.

Well thanks. I appreciate the kind words. At least someone is reading it, lol.

Kelly and Burkett got into it on the sideline during a MN game at home against Denver, in 1989. While no one really knows what was said between them, it was hinted that Jimbo felt Burkett was dogging it a little. (He had the same tet a tet with Greg Bell the year before, and Bell was traded to the Rams in the Bennett deal)

Burkett was a pretty good receiver, with reasonable size and speed, but was a bit of a head case. He was also expendable because we were deep at wide out. We had Beebe as our top pick, still had Trumaine Johnson from the USFL, as well as Andre. Marv benched him in favor of Flip Johnson, which set him off. So Marv waived him. Ironically, (or maybe not) Lofton was signed a week later.

Historian
09-21-2005, 11:18 AM

I saw him play a couple times as a kid. He had a cannon for an arm, but a broken compass as far as accuracy was concerned while he was here.

But in all fairness, our O line wasn't even NFL calibre until '72 when Saban returned and drafted Reggie.

Harris was a pro bowler as a Ram I believe.

Earthquake Enyart
09-21-2005, 11:31 AM
I saw him play a couple times as a kid. He had a cannon for an arm, but a broken compass as far as accuracy was concerned while he was here.

But in all fairness, our O line wasn't even NFL calibre until '72 when Saban returned and drafted Reggie.

Harris was a pro bowler as a Ram I believe.
He had no touch and pretty much gunned everything. Haven Moses and Marlin Briscoe used to complain all the time about how hard he threw it.

Back then they said that the Bills had the first all black backfield with Harris, OJ and Wayne Patrick. I din't know if that was true or not.

The_Philster
09-21-2005, 03:31 PM
1997- After falling behind the Colts 26-0, Todd Collins engineers a comeback to win 37-35.I remember that one...by the time we were down that far, we had the whole stadium calling for Kelly to come out of the booth and suit up :lol: