PDA

View Full Version : Moulds #1 Reciever? Last 15 games/ not one with 100 yds

Mitchy moo
09-21-2005, 02:20 PM
I really don't like saying this but it's Kinda hard to win football games when your number 1 reciever cant even reach the 100 yd mark in 15 games.

That doesnt mean we can't win but is it maybe time to move up the younger folks?

I respect him and what he has done but like yesterday's newspaper his usefullness is not showing. After the injury he has been a different less aggressive person, we need a fighter.

The King
09-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Moulds hasn't been the same since 02. Moulds used to be the most physical reciever in the game and that made him special. Since his injury he just has not been the same player.

This is why he is selling a bunch of jerseys on ebay, he has to make up for not making his incentives.

OpIv37
09-21-2005, 02:28 PM
I'd argue that Evans is our #1 right now. If he's not, he will be by mid- season.

I like Moulds and I have a lot of respect for what he's accomplished for this team, but I agree with MBB- he never recovered from his injury and he's well past his prime.

STAMPY
09-21-2005, 02:34 PM
evans is the number 1 wideout for bills in madden

justasportsfan
09-21-2005, 02:55 PM
I really don't like saying this but it's Kinda hard to win football games when your number 1 reciever cant even reach the 100 yd mark in 15 games.

That doesnt mean we can't win but is it maybe time to move up the younger folks?

I respect him and what he has done but like yesterday's newspaper his usefullness is not showing. After the injury he has been a different less aggressive person, we need a fighter.Put him in a team like the Colts, Pitts or KC. He'd have monster nos. He hasn't had a decent passing supporting cast in that 15 games you mentioned. Evans wouldn't have had those nos. either if he didn't have Moulds.

Mr. Cynical
09-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Interesting stat. Dredsoe obviously didn't help him last year but I agree it may be time to move him into the slot. Put the speed guys on the outside (Evans, Parrish) and that would be a pretty dominating three WR set.

Samphin1
09-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Well, I have been saying for quite some time as an outside observer, that Moulds isn't what he once as. However, I would cut him some slack this season. He is dealing with an o-line that is shaky and basically, a rookie QB. It will be very hard for him to get 100 yard games until Losman is more cofortable and the o-line allows him time to throw consistantly.

Lee Evans will be your future number one. The question will be, that once Moulds is gone, who will be your number two?

ShadowHawk7
09-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Put him in a team like the Colts, Pitts or KC. He'd have monster nos. He hasn't had a decent passing supporting cast in that 15 games you mentioned. Evans wouldn't have had those nos. either if he didn't have Moulds.

Good point.

Well, I have been saying for quite some time as an outside observer, that Moulds isn't what he once as. However, I would cut him some slack this season. He is dealing with an o-line that is shaky and basically, a rookie QB. It will be very hard for him to get 100 yard games until Losman is more cofortable and the o-line allows him time to throw consistantly.

Lee Evans will be your future number one. The question will be, that once Moulds is gone, who will be your number two?

Indeed, it is very hard to get 100 yrd games when you're QB doesn't throw for more than 100 yards in the first place. That being said, I think Moulds is having some trouble creating separation, and won't be a deep threat anymore. He's a crafty vet who knows what to do to get open on the intermediate routes, and should be able to do that.

Mitchy moo
09-22-2005, 07:16 AM
Good point.

Indeed, it is very hard to get 100 yrd games when you're QB doesn't throw for more than 100 yards in the first place. That being said, I think Moulds is having some trouble creating separation, and won't be a deep threat anymore. He's a crafty vet who knows what to do to get open on the intermediate routes, and should be able to do that.
Well if he got separation maybe he's help us get him 100yds. It's a chicken and the egg scenario.

justasportsfan
09-22-2005, 07:28 AM
separation was never Moulds' biggest thing. Fighting for the ball was when the qb has confidence in him. I've said this numerous times, there hasn't been a qb who had confidence in Moulds making plays since Flutie. Rob and Drew used to wait for Moulds to get open and it didn't work. Moulds would end up being average.

Mitchy moo
09-23-2005, 06:54 AM
<TABLE width=287 border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Get Moulds Involved
by Mike Hedeen
photo by Bob Gosney
Published Sep 22, 2005

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Where has Eric Moulds been the first two games? On the field with the rest of his Buffalo Bills teammates. The ten year vet isn't off to the best of starts and some feel there's a little miscommunication between him and new quarterback J.P. Losman.

“I see that he's open, usually we're connecting,” Losman said. “Last game I was just a little inaccurate on the time he was open. There wasn't any kind of miscommunication, nothing other than a bad throw.” Being the ultimate professional, Moulds is willing to bide his time and not point fingers.

“I don't want to get frustrated and I don't want to get the other guys frustrated and get mad at J.P. because I'm not getting the ball,” explained Moulds. “But at the same time I knew it was going to be a process this year. I wouldn't have come back and re-signed with the team if I thought he couldn't get it done.”

Some have questioned whether Moulds is still a top flight wide receiver. He had just one catch in last week’s game and has only five through the first two games.

“I still think he has great talent,” head coach Mike Mularkey said. “Is it as good at three years ago, four years ago? I don't know if anybody in this league is as good as they were three or four years ago.”

With Atlanta coming to Buffalo with a banged up secondary this week, it’s a great opportunity for Moulds to have a breakout game.

http://rnews.com/Sports/Story_2004.cfm?ID=30608&rnews_story_type=39&category=3

finsrclowns
09-23-2005, 09:02 AM
separation was never Moulds' biggest thing. Fighting for the ball was when the qb has confidence in him. I've said this numerous times, there hasn't been a qb who had confidence in Moulds making plays since Flutie. Rob and Drew used to wait for Moulds to get open and it didn't work. Moulds would end up being average.

Overall 2002 was Moulds best season with Bledsoe. Most catches, most catches for FD's, most TD's. He's not the same guy he was then IMO. THAT was a top 10 receiver.

justasportsfan
09-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Overall 2002 was Moulds best season with Bledsoe. Most catches, most catches for FD's, most TD's. He's not the same guy he was then IMO. THAT was a top 10 receiver.

1998 67 catches for 1398 yds w/ Flutie throwing it up in the air. Flutie had 36 and 40 passes for 20+ yds. in 98 and 99 respectively and he didn't have Price.

2002 wasn't a bad year either but it was Drew's first year and he had a mission after just being cut by the PAts. He had 610 attempts and Moulds caught 100 balls but only 1200+ yards. Drew had 45 passes for more than 20 yds and 13 for 40 yds deep. The most while he was a bill but he had Price.

Those nos. prove that Moulds had to catch passes 5-10 yds out patterns or up the middle because the ball need to come out of Drews hands quick. With the way Drew zips the ball to go w/ his inaccuracy in short passes catching the ball was a problem for all our wr's.

Like I said earlier Moulds is easily defended when qb's throw to his nos. Flutie had no zip and threw the ball up in the air for Moulds to fight for. The deeper the throw the more Moulds has to fight for the ball the better it is for him. Moulds had his best year DIVING to make catches.

One of the rare times that Drew threw the ball deep to Moulds resulted in a TD against the Pats last year. Drew barely attempted that again. Again , he had to dive for the ball on that one.

Problem is, Drew lost confidence in himself and usually waited for Moulds to get open before he would attempt to throw plus the D knew Drew would throw when he taps that ball before throwing.

You will see a change in Moulds routes once Parrish comes back because MOulds will now be able to run deep again. Right now he has to run up the middle on short routes so it could free Evans up for 1 on 1 coverage.

Be patient, Moulds, Evans, Parrish and eventually Everett is one hell of a passing weapon w/ Willis running up the middle. Just like Moulds said though "JP has to have confidence in his wr's to make plays"

Jp hasn't had the experience Eli has. After a year though Eli now trust his wr's even w/ Burress. I watched the Giants game, Eli's throws were not all that accurate but he trusts Burress to make a play even if he has to make a dive.

R. Rich
09-23-2005, 09:37 AM
If Moulds was in the West Coast offense the 49ers ran during the Bill Walsh era, he'd have about 25,000 yards for his career. Right, justa?

justasportsfan
09-23-2005, 09:43 AM
If Moulds was in the West Coast offense the 49ers ran during the Bill Walsh era, he'd have about 25,000 yards for his career. Right, justa?:no:

R. Rich
09-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Well, he certainly would've had more than 12,000 yards if he were a RB, right?

justasportsfan
09-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Well, he certainly would've had more than 12,000 yards if he were a RB, right?
:no:

Mitchy moo
09-23-2005, 10:29 AM
If Moulds was in the West Coast offense the 49ers ran during the Bill Walsh era, he'd have about 25,000 yards for his career. Right, justa?
He would of had more than now but that saying he would of made the team, who knows if he would of.

R. Rich
09-23-2005, 10:39 AM
:no:

But, we all know Moulds would've easily thrown for 45,000 - 50,000 yards if he were a QB though.

Typ0
09-23-2005, 10:42 AM
nice write up on Moulds in the buffalo news today....and he's listed on si.com as the second best receiver in the league. Maybe his numbers don't show it...but the guy who wrote the si stuff makes some good points about why EM IS a top receiver in the NFL.

casdhf
09-23-2005, 11:48 AM
got a link typ0?? I'd like to read that!

finsrclowns
09-23-2005, 12:53 PM
1998 67 catches for 1398 yds w/ Flutie throwing it up in the air. Flutie had 36 and 40 passes for 20+ yds. in 98 and 99 respectively and he didn't have Price.

2002 wasn't a bad year either but it was Drew's first year and he had a mission after just being cut by the PAts. He had 610 attempts and Moulds caught 100 balls but only 1200+ yards. Drew had 45 passes for more than 20 yds and 13 for 40 yds deep. The most while he was a bill but he had Price.

Those nos. prove that Moulds had to catch passes 5-10 yds out patterns or up the middle because the ball need to come out of Drews hands quick. With the way Drew zips the ball to go w/ his inaccuracy in short passes catching the ball was a problem for all our wr's.

Like I said earlier Moulds is easily defended when qb's throw to his nos. Flutie had no zip and threw the ball up in the air for Moulds to fight for. The deeper the throw the more Moulds has to fight for the ball the better it is for him. Moulds had his best year DIVING to make catches.

One of the rare times that Drew threw the ball deep to Moulds resulted in a TD against the Pats last year. Drew barely attempted that again. Again , he had to dive for the ball on that one.

Problem is, Drew lost confidence in himself and usually waited for Moulds to get open before he would attempt to throw plus the D knew Drew would throw when he taps that ball before throwing.

You will see a change in Moulds routes once Parrish comes back because MOulds will now be able to run deep again. Right now he has to run up the middle on short routes so it could free Evans up for 1 on 1 coverage.

Be patient, Moulds, Evans, Parrish and eventually Everett is one hell of a passing weapon w/ Willis running up the middle. Just like Moulds said though "JP has to have confidence in his wr's to make plays"

Jp hasn't had the experience Eli has. After a year though Eli now trust his wr's even w/ Burress. I watched the Giants game, Eli's throws were not all that accurate but he trusts Burress to make a play even if he has to make a dive.

2002 and 1998 are comparable seasons, although personaly I'd take the extra 10 FD's and the extra TD over an extra 76 yards. :D: Bledsoe threw a bunch of times in 2002 to Moulds and let him go get it. Moulds #'s went down in 2003 because he was out 3 games and playing hurt 4-5 others. 2004 Mularkey's offense was basically dink and dunk with the occasional long pass. You're right that probably doesn't play to Moulds strength because you can't really risk throwing short outs and slants if the receiver is covered. Moulds still got the lion's share of the throws but he wasn't as effective. Call it the style of offense, Bledsoe, Moulds losing a step, it's all opinion. I think I get where you're coming from. :D: If Mularkey doesn't go to a much more agressive style soon I'm afraid it will be hard to see who's right.

justasportsfan
09-23-2005, 01:06 PM
2002 and 1998 are comparable seasons, although personaly I'd take the extra 10 FD's and the extra TD over an extra 76 yards. :D: Bledsoe threw a bunch of times in 2002 to Moulds and let him go get it. Moulds #'s went down in 2003 because he was out 3 games and playing hurt 4-5 others. 2004 Mularkey's offense was basically dink and dunk with the occasional long pass. You're right that probably doesn't play to Moulds strength because you can't really risk throwing short outs and slants if the receiver is covered. Moulds still got the lion's share of the throws but he wasn't as effective. Call it the style of offense, Bledsoe, Moulds losing a step, it's all opinion. I think I get where you're coming from. :D: If Mularkey doesn't go to a much more agressive style soon I'm afraid it will be hard to see who's right.Moulds would be one hell of a receiver if he was w/ another team that had a stable system w/ a stable qb. There's no doubt in my mind he would be a top wr if he was w/ Pitts. Inspite of all the shortcomings of our coaching under Greg Williams he ws still above average who had a huge impact for players like Price and Evans last year. Moulds lack of TD's was because of constantly getting the attention of D's while freeing up the no. 2's. Like I said his role as a deep threat was diminished by having to run up the middle for the lack of a no. 3 and Drew had no one else to throw to when he needed to get rid of the ball fast. In 2002 during Reeds rookie year, wasn't that one of Moulds' better years?

Moulds value is just not his nos. but the respect he commands from other D's. This is why I think Mularkey went for Parrish instead of a OL so that we could have a repeat of 2002 of Moulds ,Price and Reed. Pretty much the same of what MM had in Pitts when he had 2 wr's catch for over 1,000 yds. Right now JP is still trying to learning that.

Look for our O to have the same look as Pitts once everything falls into place. Right now not everyone is on the same page.

finsrclowns
09-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Moulds would be one hell of a receiver if he was w/ another team that had a stable system w/ a stable qb. There's no doubt in my mind he would be a top wr if he was w/ Pitts. Inspite of all the shortcomings of our coaching under Greg Williams he ws still above average who had a huge impact for players like Price and Evans last year. Moulds lack of TD's was because of constantly getting the attention of D's while freeing up the no. 2's. Like I said his role as a deep threat was diminished by having to run up the middle for the lack of a no. 3 and Drew had no one else to throw to when he needed to get rid of the ball fast. In 2002 during Reeds rookie year, wasn't that one of Moulds' better years?

Moulds value is just not his nos. but the respect he commands from other D's. This is why I think Mularkey went for Parrish instead of a OL so that we could have a repeat of 2002 of Moulds ,Price and Reed. Pretty much the same of what MM had in Pitts when he had 2 wr's catch for over 1,000 yds. Right now JP is still trying to learning that.

Look for our O to have the same look as Pitts once everything falls into place. Right now not everyone is on the same page.

If our line performs anywhere close to that of Pitt I'll agree with you. I do agree 2002 having Price and Reed was a big plus for Moulds and it could well be even better with Evans (better than Price IMO) and Parrish (better by default than Reed). But Moulds needs to clean up the drops from last year. With 2 speed threats around him I see no reason Moulds couldn't be very productive. But not top 10. :D:

Typ0
09-23-2005, 02:28 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/09/22/gallery.topreceivers/content.1.html

moulds is 9 not two I read it wrong.

I read the other one in the paper this morning.