X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

WOW!!! Mularkey tells McGahee "Less dancing, more running"

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Less dancing, more running.

That's the challenge Buffalo Bills coach Mike Mularkey issued Willis McGahee this week, prodding his running back to be more decisive.

Mularkey was confident the message was received from the straight-ahead pop he saw in McGahee's runs during practice Wednesday.

``Sometimes those negative things that happen in games may be a positive in the long run,'' Mularkey said. ``It obviously was a positive in practice, the way he was hitting the hole. ... It was a noticeable difference.''

It should be a welcome one, too, for an offense seeking to regain its run-first identity when hosting Atlanta this weekend.

The key is McGahee, evidenced by how Buffalo misfired in a 19-3 loss at Tampa Bay on Sunday.

With McGahee limited to 34 yards rushing, the Bills didn't mount a threat. They managed 147 yards of offense, surrendered a safety and registered only eight first downs -- four coming in a mean-nothing drive in the final minutes.

• mush69
    • Jan 2003

Run Willis Run!

I noticed last week during the game and even made a comment on Willis doing to much dancing behind the line. I really think he needs to listen up and get the job done. Smith and Henry got into this mode and our running game suffered because of it.

I know a lot of people are going to say it all depends on the O-line making the holes, but I don't completely fall for that. Barry Sanders had some tremendous years behind bad O-lines.

Quit Dancing and Run!
    Don't Mistake Lack Of Talent For Genius

Comment

• Lexwhat
      • Feb 2005

Re: WOW!!! Mularkey tells McGahee "Less dancing, more running"

Originally posted by Pride
      ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Less dancing, more running.

That's the challenge Buffalo Bills coach Mike Mularkey issued Willis McGahee this week, prodding his running back to be more decisive.

Mularkey was confident the message was received from the straight-ahead pop he saw in McGahee's runs during practice Wednesday.

``Sometimes those negative things that happen in games may be a positive in the long run,'' Mularkey said. ``It obviously was a positive in practice, the way he was hitting the hole. ... It was a noticeable difference.''

It should be a welcome one, too, for an offense seeking to regain its run-first identity when hosting Atlanta this weekend.

The key is McGahee, evidenced by how Buffalo misfired in a 19-3 loss at Tampa Bay on Sunday.

With McGahee limited to 34 yards rushing, the Bills didn't mount a threat. They managed 147 yards of offense, surrendered a safety and registered only eight first downs -- four coming in a mean-nothing drive in the final minutes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
      Good find, nice article.

But what's "wow" about it? Isn't a head coach supposed to do that? I'm sure other elite coaches would have easily done the same. Right now, our offense as a whole needs to improve. No one is really sticking out to me, except maybe Mike Gandy / Bennie Anderson.

Mularkey will win me over when he gets our team ready for a big game. Does he have to win them? Not necessarily. He did a terrible job against Tampa. The games he has a chance to redeem himself:

1. Bills at Raiders (Offense much improved from last year)
      2. Bills at Patriots
      3. Bills vs. Chiefs
      4. Bills vs. Patriots
      5. Bills at Bengals

As of now, I don't think Mularkey has passed a big test. He beats on weaker teams with great preparation, but looks lost and confused and doesn't prepare well enough for very good to elite teams. Again, he doesn't have to win those games, but we should be fighting hard, especially as an offense.

Comment

• Pride
        • Jul 2002

I said wow because it was the first time I have seen a bills coach do something that we have all been talking about all week. It was like he was reading our forums lol.

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

good work..

mcgahee is why we will win the game this week.. some posters dont think we have a chance to beat atlanta.. but seattle beat them last week by running alexander down atlanta's throat.. they are not a big defense.. just overpower them and put the load on mcgahee's shoulders..

we will win.
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• mush69
            • Jan 2003

Pride might as well merge these, same topic!

Duplicate thread different title and originator!

Comment

• mush69
              • Jan 2003

Nevermind Pride I got it! I just deleted it.

I notice this during the game on Sunday, and if I remember correctly I commented on it during the gameday thread. Smith and Henry got into this mode, and it isn't all the lines fault. Yes we may not have a O-line such as others, but then again Barry Sanders didn't have really great lines for most of his career, but his first step was always forward!

Quit Dancing and Run!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

yeah, I heard that being discussed in WGR this morning. It apparently worked because Willis had a great day at practice and Mularkey supposedly was very happy with the practice that day. I hope it doesn't stop when we start winning again. This is what I was hoping . The loss would light the fire under the teams butt. It looked like the team was busy recieving praises after the texans win that they forgot to focus and get prepared for the bucs game.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• CanaanVtBillsFan
                  • Sep 2003

man o man

this will be a interesting game

Willis I'm sure wasn't to happy with his production

The dude loves the attention and the competition.

Did anyone every see the dude bowl

he is a smooth operator
                  and I think he will do his utmost to shut the non believers up

As much as I'm nervous about this game

One thing I'm assured of is that Vick is coming to our Mother*F-n house

We need you 12th man

Will wants to leap in your arms endzone animals

GO BILLS

I think I will buy stock in Pepto Bismol or tums

it's only freakin Thursday
                  TommieBoy

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

I'm starting to think WM is a little punk ass *****.

A. In the Texans game when Losman throws the TD to Peters, Mularkey is congratulating everyone coming back to the bench. There are hugs and handshakes and high fives all around. When WM finally comes back to the bench and MM tries to congratulate him, WM doesn't even acknowledge him. He walks right by not even turning his head an inch.

B. The Head Coach of the team goes public to criticize WM's play during the Bucs game. Why would he do that? Why not just tell the player directly and leave it out of the media? What conditions would exist that would prompt a coach to do that? Maybe because he already knew WM wouldn't listen. And then what does WM say when he responds to MM's comments? Basically, "I don't care what he says, I'm fine and I'm not changing nuthin."

I don't mind jerks being on the team, but let's not pretend he isn't one. Punk ass *****.
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Pride
                      • Jul 2002

I agree.. I saw that.. and hopefully it was taken out of context.. the media does love doing that!

Comment

• Pride
                        • Jul 2002

Also, for all we know a reporter may have specifically asked Mularkey about WM's dancing... and Mularkey may have said "We have already discussed this, and I told him to stop dancing and run forward".. that maybe all that was said.

Comment

• northernbillfan
                          Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

If you venture to our Front Page you will have noticed that this topic is being covered by several new outlets.
                          When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• DynaPaul
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Pride
                            I said wow because it was the first time I have seen a bills coach do something that we have all been talking about all week. It was like he was reading our forums lol.
                            Even a Jets coulda saw that McGahee wasn't doing jack, dancing around like Fred Astaire, and needed to be awoken to those facts...

Comment

• Romes
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Meathead
                              I'm starting to think WM is a little punk ass *****.

A. In the Texans game when Losman throws the TD to Peters, Mularkey is congratulating everyone coming back to the bench. There are hugs and handshakes and high fives all around. When WM finally comes back to the bench and MM tries to congratulate him, WM doesn't even acknowledge him. He walks right by not even turning his head an inch.

B. The Head Coach of the team goes public to criticize WM's play during the Bucs game. Why would he do that? Why not just tell the player directly and leave it out of the media? What conditions would exist that would prompt a coach to do that? Maybe because he already knew WM wouldn't listen. And then what does WM say when he responds to MM's comments? Basically, "I don't care what he says, I'm fine and I'm not changing nuthin."

I don't mind jerks being on the team, but let's not pretend he isn't one. Punk ass *****.
                              I agree. Willis has the potential to be a great back. I'm afraid though, that if he does become a star his personality combined with an agent like Rosenhaus he may become just like TO and a disruption to any team team he plays on.
                              Originally posted by paladin warrior
                              RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

Working...
                              X