PDA

View Full Version : WOW!!! Mularkey tells McGahee "Less dancing, more running"

Pride
09-22-2005, 10:07 AM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Less dancing, more running.

That's the challenge Buffalo Bills coach Mike Mularkey issued Willis McGahee this week, prodding his running back to be more decisive.

Mularkey was confident the message was received from the straight-ahead pop he saw in McGahee's runs during practice Wednesday.

``Sometimes those negative things that happen in games may be a positive in the long run,'' Mularkey said. ``It obviously was a positive in practice, the way he was hitting the hole. ... It was a noticeable difference.''

It should be a welcome one, too, for an offense seeking to regain its run-first identity when hosting Atlanta this weekend.

The key is McGahee, evidenced by how Buffalo misfired in a 19-3 loss at Tampa Bay on Sunday.

With McGahee limited to 34 yards rushing, the Bills didn't mount a threat. They managed 147 yards of offense, surrendered a safety and registered only eight first downs -- four coming in a mean-nothing drive in the final minutes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-mcgahee&prov=ap&type=lgns

mush69
09-22-2005, 11:33 AM
I noticed last week during the game and even made a comment on Willis doing to much dancing behind the line. I really think he needs to listen up and get the job done. Smith and Henry got into this mode and our running game suffered because of it.

I know a lot of people are going to say it all depends on the O-line making the holes, but I don't completely fall for that. Barry Sanders had some tremendous years behind bad O-lines.

Quit Dancing and Run! (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2168931)

Lexwhat
09-22-2005, 11:53 AM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Less dancing, more running.

That's the challenge Buffalo Bills coach Mike Mularkey issued Willis McGahee this week, prodding his running back to be more decisive.

Mularkey was confident the message was received from the straight-ahead pop he saw in McGahee's runs during practice Wednesday.

``Sometimes those negative things that happen in games may be a positive in the long run,'' Mularkey said. ``It obviously was a positive in practice, the way he was hitting the hole. ... It was a noticeable difference.''

It should be a welcome one, too, for an offense seeking to regain its run-first identity when hosting Atlanta this weekend.

The key is McGahee, evidenced by how Buffalo misfired in a 19-3 loss at Tampa Bay on Sunday.

With McGahee limited to 34 yards rushing, the Bills didn't mount a threat. They managed 147 yards of offense, surrendered a safety and registered only eight first downs -- four coming in a mean-nothing drive in the final minutes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-mcgahee&prov=ap&type=lgns

Good find, nice article.

But what's "wow" about it? Isn't a head coach supposed to do that? I'm sure other elite coaches would have easily done the same. Right now, our offense as a whole needs to improve. No one is really sticking out to me, except maybe Mike Gandy / Bennie Anderson.

Mularkey will win me over when he gets our team ready for a big game. Does he have to win them? Not necessarily. He did a terrible job against Tampa. The games he has a chance to redeem himself:

1. Bills at Raiders (Offense much improved from last year)
2. Bills at Patriots
3. Bills vs. Chiefs
4. Bills vs. Patriots
5. Bills at Bengals

As of now, I don't think Mularkey has passed a big test. He beats on weaker teams with great preparation, but looks lost and confused and doesn't prepare well enough for very good to elite teams. Again, he doesn't have to win those games, but we should be fighting hard, especially as an offense.

Pride
09-22-2005, 11:56 AM
I said wow because it was the first time I have seen a bills coach do something that we have all been talking about all week. It was like he was reading our forums lol.

Tatonka
09-22-2005, 12:12 PM
good work..

mcgahee is why we will win the game this week.. some posters dont think we have a chance to beat atlanta.. but seattle beat them last week by running alexander down atlanta's throat.. they are not a big defense.. just overpower them and put the load on mcgahee's shoulders..

we will win.

mush69
09-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Pride might as well merge these, same topic!

Duplicate thread different title and originator! (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=81035)

mush69
09-22-2005, 12:23 PM
Nevermind Pride I got it! I just deleted it.

I notice this during the game on Sunday, and if I remember correctly I commented on it during the gameday thread. Smith and Henry got into this mode, and it isn't all the lines fault. Yes we may not have a O-line such as others, but then again Barry Sanders didn't have really great lines for most of his career, but his first step was always forward!

Quit Dancing and Run!

justasportsfan
09-22-2005, 12:25 PM
yeah, I heard that being discussed in WGR this morning. It apparently worked because Willis had a great day at practice and Mularkey supposedly was very happy with the practice that day. I hope it doesn't stop when we start winning again. This is what I was hoping . The loss would light the fire under the teams butt. It looked like the team was busy recieving praises after the texans win that they forgot to focus and get prepared for the bucs game.

CanaanVtBillsFan
09-22-2005, 12:26 PM
man o man

this will be a interesting game

Willis I'm sure wasn't to happy with his production

The dude loves the attention and the competition.

Did anyone every see the dude bowl

he is a smooth operator
and I think he will do his utmost to shut the non believers up

As much as I'm nervous about this game

One thing I'm assured of is that Vick is coming to our Mother*F-n house

We need you 12th man

Will wants to leap in your arms endzone animals

GO BILLS

I think I will buy stock in Pepto Bismol or tums

it's only freakin Thursday

Meathead
09-22-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm starting to think WM is a little punk ass *****.

A. In the Texans game when Losman throws the TD to Peters, Mularkey is congratulating everyone coming back to the bench. There are hugs and handshakes and high fives all around. When WM finally comes back to the bench and MM tries to congratulate him, WM doesn't even acknowledge him. He walks right by not even turning his head an inch.

B. The Head Coach of the team goes public to criticize WM's play during the Bucs game. Why would he do that? Why not just tell the player directly and leave it out of the media? What conditions would exist that would prompt a coach to do that? Maybe because he already knew WM wouldn't listen. And then what does WM say when he responds to MM's comments? Basically, "I don't care what he says, I'm fine and I'm not changing nuthin."

I don't mind jerks being on the team, but let's not pretend he isn't one. Punk ass *****.

Pride
09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
I agree.. I saw that.. and hopefully it was taken out of context.. the media does love doing that!

Pride
09-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Also, for all we know a reporter may have specifically asked Mularkey about WM's dancing... and Mularkey may have said "We have already discussed this, and I told him to stop dancing and run forward".. that maybe all that was said.

northernbillfan
09-22-2005, 01:59 PM
If you venture to our Front Page (http://www.billszone.com/) you will have noticed that this topic is being covered by several new outlets.

DynaPaul
09-22-2005, 06:33 PM
I said wow because it was the first time I have seen a bills coach do something that we have all been talking about all week. It was like he was reading our forums lol.

Even a Jets coulda saw that McGahee wasn't doing jack, dancing around like Fred Astaire, and needed to be awoken to those facts...

Romes
09-22-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm starting to think WM is a little punk ass *****.

A. In the Texans game when Losman throws the TD to Peters, Mularkey is congratulating everyone coming back to the bench. There are hugs and handshakes and high fives all around. When WM finally comes back to the bench and MM tries to congratulate him, WM doesn't even acknowledge him. He walks right by not even turning his head an inch.

B. The Head Coach of the team goes public to criticize WM's play during the Bucs game. Why would he do that? Why not just tell the player directly and leave it out of the media? What conditions would exist that would prompt a coach to do that? Maybe because he already knew WM wouldn't listen. And then what does WM say when he responds to MM's comments? Basically, "I don't care what he says, I'm fine and I'm not changing nuthin."

I don't mind jerks being on the team, but let's not pretend he isn't one. Punk ass *****.

I agree. Willis has the potential to be a great back. I'm afraid though, that if he does become a star his personality combined with an agent like Rosenhaus he may become just like TO and a disruption to any team team he plays on.

chernobylwraiths
09-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Nevermind Pride I got it! I just deleted it.

I notice this during the game on Sunday, and if I remember correctly I commented on it during the gameday thread. Smith and Henry got into this mode, and it isn't all the lines fault. Yes we may not have a O-line such as others, but then again Barry Sanders didn't have really great lines for most of his career, but his first step was always forward!

Quit Dancing and Run!

Bad example Mush. Barry was the greatest running back I ever saw, but the man danced more than anyone ever at the position. But he was a great dancer.

sba
09-22-2005, 08:16 PM
NEWS FLASH: Mularkey uses McGahee to deflect heat from his crappy gameplan and horrible quarterback.

Enjoy Willis while you can, he won't be staying long with this kind of treatment.

Romes
09-22-2005, 08:53 PM
NEWS FLASH: Mularkey uses McGahee to deflect heat from his crappy gameplan and horrible quarterback.

Enjoy Willis while you can, he won't be staying long with this kind of treatment.

Umm...he critisized everyone after the game, the coaches and Losman too.

finsrclowns
09-22-2005, 09:52 PM

Enjoy what? If he runs like last week all the time bring back Travis. I LOVE what Mularkey did. WM is a star in his own movie. I fully expect this will bring the diva back to reality and play like he can.

sba
09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Enjoy what? If he runs like last week all the time bring back Travis. I LOVE what Mularkey did. WM is a star in his own movie. I fully expect this will bring the diva back to reality and play like he can. Yes, please bring back Henry, that shining star of morality and his team first attitude of his is beyond repute. Surely he wouldn't dare try to be a "diva" like Willis.

It's also hard to run successfully when teams are stacking 9 because they know your QB hasn't a prayer in the world of beating you with his arm. I'm sure he had a great chance to get some rythym going with his whopping 13 carries as well.

Mr. Cynical
09-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Surrounded by a crowd of reporters before practice, McGahee shrugged off Mularkey's comments by saying it's between him and the coach.

``Everybody's got their own opinion,'' McGahee said. ``I'm not going to worry about it. I'm not going to correct my running style or nothing like that. I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing.''

McGahee did acknowledge he can play better, adding there were times he was hesitant.

``Hey, things happen,'' he said. ``It's over. It's old news, to tell you the truth.'' Not sure I'm too crazy about WM's attitude. For all that's been said about JP's cockiness, JP is light years better than WM. JP has admitted he was wrong and was pissed at himself about. WM has a chip on his shoulder...which can be a good thing if put to good use...but I'm just not getting a good feeling about this kid's comments.

But I agree with Pride...this speaks volumes about Mularkey's style and I like it.

bills=[[[[[
09-22-2005, 11:27 PM
EDITED FOR TOS

LifetimeBillsFan
09-23-2005, 12:02 AM
I have no problem with Mularkey trying to light a fire under Willis' butt--I think part of it is that, by criticizing the star of the offense, he is sending a message to the whole team, especially the offense, that he is willing to call out anyone on the team.

I also like Mularkey's willingness to admit to his own failures: if you read his interview with the fans this week (link on the BZ front page), he responds to a fan's questions about not running screens and draws against TB to keep the heat off of JP by saying that they had them in the game-plan and wanted to run them, but probably didn't run them enough--which I take as an admission on his part that he and the coaching staff failed, in the heat of the moment, to go to something that they thought would work beforehand.

I see Mularkey as a guy who played the game and knows the difficulties that the players sometimes have and is sympathetic to them, but who has a pretty strong line defining what he expects players to do based on what he knows is possible for them to do. I also think that he is still learning on the job and that he is still making some mistakes of inexperience: one of which was expecting the Bills' veterans to be more ready to play in Tampa than they were based on how well they played on the road at the end of last season (I hate to say it, but I think Belichick has a better approach in his view that this year's team isn't the same team as last year's team and hasn't done or proven anything yet). Still, I like Mularkey--I think he is a better coach at this point than H.Edwards was at the same point in his head coaching career.

mush69
09-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Bad example Mush. Barry was the greatest running back I ever saw, but the man danced more than anyone ever at the position. But he was a great dancer.

It is a bad example I musta been crazy to say that. Would you like me to delete that bad example?

:;:

Lexwhat
09-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Umm...he critisized everyone after the game, the coaches and Losman too.
Sorry, but not true. Since Mularkey has been coach, I have NEVER seen him single out a player like he has with McGahee this week. First of all, I want to say that I am NOT supporting McGahee's response to Mularkey. Now...

"On four occasions this week, Mularkey has publicly questioned McGahee's play in last Sunday's 19-3 loss at Tampa Bay, calling the second-year running back's tentativeness at the line of scrimmage unacceptable."

Why the hell is he making it public? Oh, to light a fire under McGahee?? Get real. If he is gonna go that route, he needs to mention other players as well, and his own coaching, because the problem is more than just Willis. Willis did not play well, but it wasnt like we lost because of him. Why hasn't Mularkey ever singled out Josh Reed, or Rian Lindell, or Drew Bledsoe like this? This is a strange case to me.

If you ask me, Mularkey is looking for a scapegoat, tryin to hide his damn face from his garbage coaching at Tampa and overall poor play from the offense. At least I'm glad that JP was mad at himself - he should get better. But everyone here saw the pathetic play calling in the Tampa game. The no huddle was working the best, and what did he do? He scrapped it. That's just 1 thing though....Why didnt he call his own coaching "unacceptable?" He's deflecting the blame. As I said in another post, Mularkey hasen't gotten this team ready for a tough game or a big game. His and Tom Clements play calling is pathetic against good defenses. They outsmart themselves tryin to outsmart the opponent. Everyone here knows that, and knows that this is a talented team. But Mularkey sits content beating up on average to poor teams and "looking smart." I see you though Mularkey, get your damn game up.

Night Train
09-23-2005, 05:02 AM
It was a good move by Mularkey to speak up. Tampa played out of their minds on Sunday and they were going to win no matter what.

In the meantime, the Bills clean up some issues with a key component to our success. Willis was looking too much like east-west Antowain Smith back there.
Hit the line hard and return to form.

mysticsoto
09-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Sorry, but not true. Since Mularkey has been coach, I have NEVER seen him single out a player like he has with McGahee this week. First of all, I want to say that I am NOT supporting McGahee's response to Mularkey. Now...

"On four occasions this week, Mularkey has publicly questioned McGahee's play in last Sunday's 19-3 loss at Tampa Bay, calling the second-year running back's tentativeness at the line of scrimmage unacceptable."

Why the hell is he making it public? Oh, to light a fire under McGahee?? Get real. If he is gonna go that route, he needs to mention other players as well, and his own coaching, because the problem is more than just Willis. Willis did not play well, but it wasnt like we lost because of him. Why hasn't Mularkey ever singled out Josh Reed, or Rian Lindell, or Drew Bledsoe like this? This is a strange case to me.

If you ask me, Mularkey is looking for a scapegoat, tryin to hide his damn face from his garbage coaching at Tampa and overall poor play from the offense. At least I'm glad that JP was mad at himself - he should get better. But everyone here saw the pathetic play calling in the Tampa game. The no huddle was working the best, and what did he do? He scrapped it. That's just 1 thing though....Why didnt he call his own coaching "unacceptable?" He's deflecting the blame. As I said in another post, Mularkey hasen't gotten this team ready for a tough game or a big game. His and Tom Clements play calling is pathetic against good defenses. They outsmart themselves tryin to outsmart the opponent. Everyone here knows that, and knows that this is a talented team. But Mularkey sits content beating up on average to poor teams and "looking smart." I see you though Mularkey, get your damn game up.
Mularkey can take some of the blame, but...Mularkey looking for a scapegoat? I seriously doubt it. He called Willis out b'cse of his style of character. Willis is not going to like it and he's going to do something to correct it. He was dancing alot and pretty much everyone has made comments on it before Mularkey even said anything. My article on the last game mentions it, and I wrote it before I even heard anyone else talking about it. It was just obvious. Yes, everyone needs to step it up, not just him, but he is a key player that needs to perform well if this offense is going to do anything. Without him, all the pressure is in JP and right now, he is not capable of shouldering all that pressure. In a couple of years, it may be reversed and JP make take alot of the pressure of Willis instead and let him have an easier time running. For now, it is what it is.

Mularkey can't run through holes, he can't block and make those very same holes, he can't make the correct read on the defense and throw the correct pass and he can't rush the qb or stop the run. What it comes down to is the players need to play and play well!

I think this game will have a big turnaround in performance of those players...

finsrclowns
09-23-2005, 08:56 AM
Yes, please bring back Henry, that shining star of morality and his team first attitude of his is beyond repute. Surely he wouldn't dare try to be a "diva" like Willis.

All I'm saying is WM is supposed to be a major upgrade over Henry. He wasn't on Sunday.

It's also hard to run successfully when teams are stacking 9 because they know your QB hasn't a prayer in the world of beating you with his arm. I'm sure he had a great chance to get some rythym going with his whopping 13 carries as well.

That's pretty harsh on a QB in his 2nd start don't you think? I agree 13 carries isn't much to get a rythym going and last week was certainly not all WM's fault. I'm not down on McGahee over one game but 13 carries or not he didn't help out his young QB much Sunday and he needs to do that for us to be successful. Jamal Lewis does it in Baltimore and everyone stacks the box on them also. Mularkey has a right to expect better play this week and I think he will get it.

Lexwhat
10-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Mularkey can take some of the blame, but...Mularkey looking for a scapegoat? I seriously doubt it. He called Willis out b'cse of his style of character. Willis is not going to like it and he's going to do something to correct it. He was dancing alot and pretty much everyone has made comments on it before Mularkey even said anything. My article on the last game mentions it, and I wrote it before I even heard anyone else talking about it. It was just obvious. Yes, everyone needs to step it up, not just him, but he is a key player that needs to perform well if this offense is going to do anything. Without him, all the pressure is in JP and right now, he is not capable of shouldering all that pressure. In a couple of years, it may be reversed and JP make take alot of the pressure of Willis instead and let him have an easier time running. For now, it is what it is.

Mularkey can't run through holes, he can't block and make those very same holes, he can't make the correct read on the defense and throw the correct pass and he can't rush the qb or stop the run. What it comes down to is the players need to play and play well!

I think this game will have a big turnaround in performance of those players...
Now do you believe me? http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon9.gif Not trying to rub it in, I'm just as pissed about the Bills losing as everyone else around here. And I dont want to call you out either.

I think Mularkey was indeed looking for a scapegoat. I know Willis didnt play well, but now that he is, what's Mularkey got to say now? Thanks MM, for putting this potential playoff-team in the water.

Dozerdog
10-02-2005, 04:51 PM
He Mularkey- Less passing- More running!

BillsFever21
10-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Now do you believe me? http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/icons/icon9.gif Not trying to rub it in, I'm just as pissed about the Bills losing as everyone else around here. And I dont want to call you out either.

I think Mularkey was indeed looking for a scapegoat. I know Willis didnt play well, but now that he is, what's Mularkey got to say now? Thanks MM, for putting this potential playoff-team in the water.
Losman was the scapegoat this week. He set that up by benching him with 13 minutes left.

He wants to shift blame away from his own incompetence. This guy is a work of art.

BillsFever21
10-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Who is his next scapegoat? Stay tuned till next week at 1pm to find out.

Lexwhat
10-02-2005, 05:12 PM
hahhahaha,

True!