PDA

View Full Version : Cards Interested in Trade for Bennett

Meathead
09-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Running back Michael Bennett resumed his role as the Vikings' nominal starting running back Wednesday, but his long-term future with the organization remains unclear.

Bennett's name once again has emerged in trade rumors, and a person with knowledge of the situation said the Vikings held cursory discussions this week with the Arizona Cardinals -- whose coach, Dennis Green, selected Bennett in the first round of the 2001 draft.

In-season NFL trades are rare, and no deal appeared imminent Wednesday. The league's trading deadline is Oct. 18.

But the Cardinals have pursued Bennett periodically since Green arrived last season, most recently before the April 2005 draft. Bennett is in the final year of his rookie contract and will be an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5628485.html

1. You shouldn't have put all your stock in an undersized rookie RB that you drafted in the second round.

2. You played hardball with the king of pokerfaces, Tom Donahoe, when you should have gladly used that second round pick to get a proven workhorse in Travis Henry.

3. Punk.

Samphin1
09-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Henry wasn't worth a second. I am hard pressed to see how he was worth a third.

lordofgun
09-22-2005, 02:38 PM
The king of pokerfaces sure schooled Bellichick in the Bledsoe trade!

mysticsoto
09-22-2005, 02:49 PM
What was our other option? Keep Flutie? Yeah, we would have went really far with him...

SquishDaFish
09-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Bledsoe really isnt that bad of a QB. He just needs some excellent protection which you have to admit we never gave him.

The Spaz
09-22-2005, 03:26 PM

Forget the Price for Mcgahee trade...

BillsFever21
09-22-2005, 03:29 PM
:puke:

What was our other option? Keep Flutie? Yeah, we would have went really far with him...
I wasn't a Flutie fan but how far did we get with Bledsoe? A big 22-26 record over 3 years and about 20 million dollars in cap money. I'm very impressed.

The money we paid Bledsoe could've built a good line to protect JP at this point in time.

Hell I'd even like to have the 4 million back for this year that he is costing us from his contract extension last year that last that entire season.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-22-2005, 11:19 PM
First and foremost, the Bledsoe deal was a business move more than a football move--it reinvigorated fan interest in a rebuilding team, putting fannies in the seats and bringing much needed cash to a small-market franchise.

In that regard, it allowed them to pay the upfront bonus money needed to bring in T.Spikes and S.Adams who, like L.Milloy, were attracted to the Bills by Bledsoe's presence and likely would not have signed here otherwise. (Please don't tell me that the Bills didn't need Milloy because they had C.Wire--Wire proved last season that he will never be a competent starting SS in the NFL because he is utterly lost in pass coverage.) Where would the Bills defense be without those three?

Bledsoe made Peerless Price a saleable commodity, bringing McGahee in return.

And, finally, consider this: it is very likely that, without Bledsoe, the Bills would have had to trade up to get Joey Harrington to play QB for them. Harrington has just been burning up the NFL since coming into the league, now, hasn't he? Just picture Joey in a Bills uniform for a second.... If you think that Mike Williams has been a flop for the Bills, what would you be saying if the Bills had had to trade up to get Harrington instead. Then, tell me that you would not be ready to tar and feather TD and run him out of town on a rail....

I'm not a Bledsoe fan. I called for him to be benched last season. I think the Bills did the right thing by handing the starting job this year to Losman and I'm glad Bledsoe is gone. I think Bledsoe is going to end up being just as much a tease in Dallas as he was in Buffalo (did you see how, after a good start, he missed wide open receivers at the end of the Washington game, just like we used to see him do that in crunch time here?). But, I do understand the Bledsoe trade from a front-office perspective--and from that perspective it was a very successful deal. I also appreciate the fact that the alternative to trading for Bledsoe would not have turned out to be any better: the Bills would now be in the position that the Lions are in--stuck with a young QB, making first round money, who, after going through all of the growing pains, still hasn't shown that he can be a winner four years down the road--wondering if it is time to start over again with another young QB. True, the Bills are starting over with a new, young QB, but he cost them less than Harrington would have and Bills fans are excited about starting over with him, while Lions fans are depressed about Harrington's failure to develop and the team' s immediate prospects.

Tatonka
09-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Bledsoe really isnt that bad of a QB. He just needs some excellent protection which you have to admit we never gave him.

what qb in the entire nfl wouldnt be good with excellent protection? look at what dilfer has done this season with a good line in front of him.

i always hated when people said that about drew.. well if you give him a good line.. great wrs and an awesome RB, he would be great.. yeah.. no one else would though, huh?

rob johnson would be a hall of famer if he had 10 seconds to throw a pass.

Samphin1
09-23-2005, 12:19 AM
what qb in the entire nfl wouldnt be good with excellent protection? look at what dilfer has done this season with a good line in front of him.

i always hated when people said that about drew.. well if you give him a good line.. great wrs and an awesome RB, he would be great.. yeah.. no one else would though, huh?

Now thats just crazy talk. Rob Johnson didn't even know how to throw a pass...

Tatonka
09-23-2005, 12:41 AM
i disagree.. RJ didnt know how to throw a pass w/ any pass rush.. but if he had time, he was not bad.. our oline was horrible the entire time he was here

Samphin1
09-23-2005, 12:54 AM
i disagree.. RJ didnt know how to throw a pass w/ any pass rush.. but if he had time, he was not bad.. our oline was horrible the entire time he was here

Just a joke. Personally, I agree with you. Any QB given tons of time with talented receivers, running back and tight end can look like a world beater. Of course, with the exception being Fiedler I guess...

mysticsoto
09-23-2005, 08:28 AM

Well, not that I feel I have to defend Bledsoe, but he does have an accurate pass on bombs. If you give him a speedy receiver that can run down the field, he will connect with him. You can't say that about every qb in the league. Some don't have the arm, and some don't have the accuracy. Drew does have both. It was b'cse of him that Evans had such good numbers. JP hasn't connected much when he's thrown a bomb. I look forward to him opening up more and I would like to see if he will develop an accurate bomb or if he will remain inaccurate as he has been up to now...

Philagape
09-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, not that I feel I have to defend Bledsoe, but he does have an accurate pass on bombs. If you give him a speedy receiver that can run down the field, he will connect with him. You can't say that about every qb in the league. Some don't have the arm, and some don't have the accuracy. Drew does have both. It was b'cse of him that Evans had such good numbers. JP hasn't connected much when he's thrown a bomb. I look forward to him opening up more and I would like to see if he will develop an accurate bomb or if he will remain inaccurate as he has been up to now...

The bomb to Evans in Week 1 was pretty sweet. I'd like to see more of that

Sportsuser101
09-23-2005, 10:45 AM
I would do that trade again if put in the same situation. Without Bledsoe we wouldn't have been able to recruit Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy or Troy Vincent with a scrub taking snaps. Who did you want besides Bledsoe? Patrick Ramsey? Yeah that would have worked out. Bledsoe brought excitement to the Bills and while his play on the field may have not been worth it past 6 games his off the field work was defintely worth it.

FlyingDutchman
09-23-2005, 12:23 PM
I bet the Cards wished they got Henry for Shelton when they could have....

mysticsoto
09-23-2005, 12:50 PM
The bomb to Evans in Week 1 was pretty sweet. I'd like to see more of that
Yeah, I guess that can be considered a bomb, although I'd still like to see some farther ones thrown. Evans should be able to burn most CBs if given space, and if JP can be protected for several seconds, I'd like to see them try that more...even if you barely miss, you might get pass interference calls out of it.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-24-2005, 06:21 AM
I wonder if Denny Green would want Travis right about now.

Meathead
09-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Does the Pope sh** in the woods?

Gunzlingr
09-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Just a joke. Personally, I agree with you. Any QB given tons of time with talented receivers, running back and tight end can look like a world beater. Of course, with the exception being Fiedler I guess...

Look at Mark Rypien. Super Bowl MVP when he had all day after the snap. Next year when the pressure comes he sucks ass and disappears.

G. Host
09-24-2005, 08:30 PM

Flutie was already gone. I think (and I use the term very losely) you meant Rob Johnson.

Redsz
09-24-2005, 10:21 PM
The rumor is a load of bunk.

The Vikings contacted the Cardinals to guage their intreast in trading for Bennett and the Cardinals weren't intreasted. Rod Graves (Cardinals GM) confirmed it in the AZ republic this week.

No one is giving up on JJ.