PDA

View Full Version : Dick LeBeau as Defensive Coordinator?

Dicknoze69
01-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Len P. says that LeBeau will become our new defensive coordinator. It's down near the bottom right under Scout's Take

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/morningafter?id=1487514

justasportsfan
01-06-2003, 10:51 AM
welcome

clumping platelets
01-06-2003, 10:56 AM
I read that............seems unlikely that Gray would stay.

Regardless of what some believe, he has been hamstrung by the void left by cap hell. I believe Gray deserves more time with this offseason's acquistions.

Romes
01-06-2003, 10:57 AM
The players seem to like Gray and the defense played well the last few games, so this would be a very interesting move. I wonder what kind of defense LeBeau would use. I also wonder weather it is worth it to sign him if the defense has to learn a brand new system

Dicknoze69
01-06-2003, 10:59 AM
I don't think Gray would stay on either.

He ran an attack oriented style in Cincinnati, I think it'd be better if we hired LeBeau to coach the Dline and let Gray keep working as DC. You're right, Gray hasn't had much talent here to work with, the cap screwed us and then we built up the offense instead.

Tatonka
01-06-2003, 11:03 AM
good find man.. good find.

i would be very interested to see how the defense changes if lebeau was to come in.

would gray take a demotion? how would he handle that? that could potentially divide the team or members of the coach staff no?

justasportsfan
01-06-2003, 11:05 AM
IMO Gray earned the chance to stay for another year based on the teams performance towards the end of the season. There will be no excuses next season. Same goes for GW.

If our D is nothing more than average next year, I would inquire about Mike Tyson being our D. Coord.

ArcticWildMan
01-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Hmmm...if TD brings in LeBeau, I wonder if that means that GW is a lame duck coach (barring a playoff run)?

Dozerdog
01-06-2003, 11:15 AM
Keep LeBeau away from the HC job- 2-14 with the talent he had in a weak division was inexcusable.

He's a very good X's and O's Defensive coach, however and as coordinator he would be pretty good.

Tom Coughlin, you busy next season????

Kelly The Dog
01-06-2003, 11:28 AM
Well, a) that's not what Len P. said, that's what "Here are seven observations from an AFC pro scouting director" said.

And b) "The way I hear it" is usually talk for "I heard one-tenth of a conversation and the name LeBeau and "get a shot" was heard. It more likely was TD saying, "Hey, LeBeau, while you're up at the bar why don't you get a shot for us?"

Does anyone in their right mind, which I admit excludes a lot of people on messages boards including perhaps myself, really think that with the Bills on the brink of the playoffs and in GW's third year, and with the things that TD said about both LeBeau and the way TD needs to give GW and JG more tools, that he is going to bring in a guy, and let JG stay as coordinator, and say but "Dick, even though you have never coached this system, call all the shots?"

There is zero chance of that. If he wants LeBeau to call the shots he makes LeBeau the DC, and there is almost zero chance of that, too. He'll likely let LeBeau design packages and work on the X's and O's within the GW defense like he's good at, and serve under and alongside GW and JG much like Modrak under and alongside TD himself. Acting as close as an equal for the good of the team and feeding off each other's respected knowledge of the game. Not everything has to be a power struggle, you know.

JJamezz
01-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Did anyone ever confirm or deny the possibility that GW took over the defensive playcalling in the latter part of the season?

The D seemed to have a big (and VERY sudden) turnaround from halftime of the game at NE, through the remainder of the year...

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2003, 01:29 PM
If TD wants LeBeau as DC, GW has 2 choices:

1. Yes Sir

2. See Ya.

Anyone in the working world should know that you can never turn down "help" from the boss whether you want it or not.

I'm hoping that GW stands his ground....and gets canned like Wade :)

Ebenezer
01-06-2003, 02:26 PM
Without the playoffs in 2003 I could see this (because I think Modrak will be gone):

Pres & GM-TD
HC/Asst GM-Tom Coughlin
DC-Dick LeBeau
OC-Kevin Gilbride

works for me...I think one way or the other GW is going to have to make the playoffs in 2003 or it is goodbyes-ville.

Bert102176
01-06-2003, 02:50 PM
I don't wanna see Grey go I think the way his Defense did the last few games was good, and everytime our Offense did great I noticed we were getting help from the other teams defense with them getting penalties so that we could move down the field when they stopped getting penalties our offense stumbled.

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Next year may be too late for Coughlin.

Pride
01-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Gray is gone, mark my words!

lunatic_bills_fan
01-06-2003, 03:12 PM
Im not sure LeBeau is such a great idea with GW still at the helm. From what I heard, JG is GW's yes man. He runs the defence that GW wants. LeBeau wouldn't neccesarily be in favor of the 46 and that could cause problems. We may not be in favour of the 46, but at least all the staff and eventually all the players will be on the same page. If TD, really wants LeBeau, id say he better get a new HC to go with it.

Ğ
01-06-2003, 03:17 PM
Lebeau, Dick

(Connasais en Français?) ;)

Bulldog
01-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Based on TD's comments about GW and staff working with a partial roster, I would guess that JG is safe at least until next season.

If the team does not make the playoffs in 2003, then the whole staff will be looking for work

justasportsfan
01-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog

If the team does not make the playoffs in 2003, then the whole staff will be looking for work

Then we can hire Wanny (NOT!!!!),who I'm sure will lose his job next year!!!

ublinkwescore
01-06-2003, 04:33 PM
I just hope to god that Bill Parcells is washed up - we really should have went out and tried to get him before we brought in GW.

Then again that probably wouldn't have worked either given the fact that TD and Parcells both have big heads.