Is Willis now one of the worst starters in the league?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kelly The Dog
    • Jul 2002

Is Willis now one of the worst starters in the league?

YARDS PER CARRY

Willis McGahee 4.3
    Priest Holmes 3.9
    LaDanian Tomlinson 3.3
    Julius Jones 3.6
    Tiki Barber 4.1
    Curtis Martin 2.5
    Duece McAllister 2.7
    Cory Dillon 2.7
    Ahman Green 4.0
    Dominick Davis 3.7

Apparently not. Frankly, I'm not really worried about any of those guys either, with the possible exception of Curtis Martin because he's getting up there in years, and Dominick Davis because his team's offense kinda stinks.

Willis had one bad game, on the road, in 100 degrees, against a great defense, on 13 carries, with no blocking, with zero passing, when we went three and out most series after throwing on first down, running predictably on 2-10, and then missing on third, when he was trying to do too much because he saw we werent doing anything. Willis is, and will be fine, and will probably explode this week.

I also have zero problem with what Mularkey said. But then again, he's only been a player and a coach for less than three decades, so maybe he needs another decade or two to understand what motivates and what doesn't motivate players.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.
  • BillsFanCupp38
    • Mar 2004

Re: Is Willis now one of the worst starters in the league?

Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
    YARDS PER CARRY

Willis McGahee 4.3
    Priest Holmes 3.9
    LaDanian Tomlinson 3.3
    Julius Jones 3.6
    Tiki Barber 4.1
    Curtis Martin 2.5
    Duece McAllister 2.7
    Cory Dillon 2.7
    Ahman Green 4.0
    Dominick Davis 3.7

Apparently not. Frankly, I'm not really worried about any of those guys either, with the possible exception of Curtis Martin because he's getting up there in years, and Dominick Davis because his team's offense kinda stinks.

Willis had one bad game, on the road, in 100 degrees, against a great defense, on 13 carries, with no blocking, with zero passing, when we went three and out most series after throwing on first down, running predictably on 2-10, and then missing on third, when he was trying to do too much because he saw we werent doing anything. Willis is, and will be fine, and will probably explode this week.

I also have zero problem with what Mularkey said. But then again, he's only been a player and a coach for less than three decades, so maybe he needs another decade or two to understand what motivates and what doesn't motivate players.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2005/regular

agreed
    Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Kelly you're lucky I actually read your post and didn't neg you just by the title.

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
        Kelly you're lucky I actually read your post and didn't neg you just by the title.
        See, the trick to responding to a post is to actually read it first.

Comment

• Pride
          • Jul 2002

Is that accurate? What were his stats from the TB game? I would have thought that outting would have cut his ypc in half?

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride
            Is that accurate? What were his stats from the TB game? I would have thought that outting would have cut his ypc in half?
            Yes, it's accurate. I linked the official nfl stats page, which is after two games. I didn't look it up but I think he was 13-34 or something in the TB game. The first game he was something like 22-117. Over 5 yards a pop. He's fine. I also think that he was just running that way because he was trying to break one. he didn't have any holes and he saw we werent passing well. If he just hit the holes harder, yeah, he would have got about 20 more yards, and the score would have been exactly the same.

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

I suspect Willis is playing for a big raise, so he'll wake up
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

Willis is the least of the Bills worries on offense.

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                  I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by EDS
                  Willis is the least of the Bills worries on offense.
                  Exactly, just like Kelly is trying to let us know, with those numbers. Now it is time to focus on Atlanta, and nothing but Atlanta.

Guys, is there a huge difference, on their offense, with Vick hurting and/or without Vick??

Also, and for what I have been able to watch, we are not playing that bad, the OL is not that ugly, JP has been cool in there, not with the happy feet, there were some holes, not many, but we need to start hitting them. I'm really afraid to tell you this, but the boobs man was right, we need to execute, and sooner than later.

Anyway, we will be on our own backyard, with the fans, and the dogs looking for some blood, it doesn't matter whos, but blood. Oh Man. I dont want to be on the Atlantas shoes this sunday!!
                  The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Meathead
                    Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                    • Jul 2002

Yes, he is one of the worst starters in the league, and if you have him on your fantasy team I'd suggest dropping him.
                    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• DaBills
                      • Sep 2004

Well, average his two games and he's just average. At least he's not hurting the team.

Culpepper imo is the worst starter in the league.
                      “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DaBills
                        Well, average his two games and he's just average. At least he's not hurting the team.
                        Not really. If you average his two games he finishes with 1200 yards, which would have put him 10th or 11th in the entire league last year. And he's not going to either face the Bucs defense or get only 13 carries very much the rest of the year. He had a lousy game on a day that 40 of the Bills players had a lousy game. People are wayyyyyy over-reacting to his play, his alleged sluggishness, and his reaction to what MM said. I will bet anyone here, barring injury, he ends up with 1300 yards and 10+ TDs, and probably a helluva lot more.

Comment

• DaBills
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Kelly The Dog
                          Not really. If you average his two games he finishes with 1200 yards, which would have put him 10th or 11th in the entire league last year. And he's not going to either face the Bucs defense or get only 13 carries very much the rest of the year. He had a lousy game on a day that 40 of the Bills players had a lousy game. People are wayyyyyy over-reacting to his play, his alleged sluggishness, and his reaction to what MM said. I will bet anyone here, barring injury, he ends up with 1300 yards and 10+ TDs, and probably a helluva lot more.
                          You asked if he was the worst - currently, not at the end of the year. After game one, you could've pro-rated JP's numbers out to a QB rating of 400 by year's end, so that really means nothing. But, the answer to the him being the worst is a definite no. He isn't killing his team like a Culpepper is.

I look at his play in the context of the O overall, so far, not the whole season, and my point is there are a lot worse starters in the league. In two games he's averaged 75 yards a game and a 4.3 ypc, and is 14th overall. Sure looks like he's in the middle of the pack right now to me, but let's see his average after 4-5 games to get a better idea.

I'm on his side anyway. End of last season, I called for him to hit 1,700 this year.

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DaBills
                            You asked if he was the worst - currently, not at the end of the year. After game one, you could've pro-rated JP's numbers out to a QB rating of 400 by year's end, so that really means nothing. But, the answer to the him being the worst is a definite no. He isn't killing his team like a Culpepper is.

I look at his play in the context of the O overall, so far, not the whole season, and my point is there are a lot worse starters in the league. In two games he's averaged 75 yards a game and a 4.3 ypc, and is 14th overall. Sure looks like he's in the middle of the pack right now to me, but let's see his average after 4-5 games to get a better idea.

I'm on his side anyway. End of last season, I called for him to hit 1,700 this year.
                            The title of the post was obviously sarcastic. The thread is about the fact I don't think he has been bad, and I think he'll be great for the most part. I was just commenting on how a lot of Bills fans were getting on Willis for being in a slump, or playing bad, when a lot of the best backs in the game are having a lot bigger problems than he is.

Comment

• DaBills
                              • Sep 2004

I hear ya. I'd say to anyone worried just chill, it's a LONG season. I got a feeling he'll be hitting things harder this weekend against Atlanta.

;-p

Comment

Working...
                              X