PDA

View Full Version : Is Willis now one of the worst starters in the league?

Kelly The Dog
09-23-2005, 11:51 AM
YARDS PER CARRY

Willis McGahee 4.3
Priest Holmes 3.9
LaDanian Tomlinson 3.3
Julius Jones 3.6
Tiki Barber 4.1
Curtis Martin 2.5
Duece McAllister 2.7
Cory Dillon 2.7
Ahman Green 4.0
Dominick Davis 3.7

Apparently not. Frankly, I'm not really worried about any of those guys either, with the possible exception of Curtis Martin because he's getting up there in years, and Dominick Davis because his team's offense kinda stinks.

Willis had one bad game, on the road, in 100 degrees, against a great defense, on 13 carries, with no blocking, with zero passing, when we went three and out most series after throwing on first down, running predictably on 2-10, and then missing on third, when he was trying to do too much because he saw we werent doing anything. Willis is, and will be fine, and will probably explode this week.

I also have zero problem with what Mularkey said. But then again, he's only been a player and a coach for less than three decades, so maybe he needs another decade or two to understand what motivates and what doesn't motivate players.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2005/regular

BillsFanCupp38
09-23-2005, 12:23 PM
YARDS PER CARRY

Willis McGahee 4.3
Priest Holmes 3.9
LaDanian Tomlinson 3.3
Julius Jones 3.6
Tiki Barber 4.1
Curtis Martin 2.5
Duece McAllister 2.7
Cory Dillon 2.7
Ahman Green 4.0
Dominick Davis 3.7

Apparently not. Frankly, I'm not really worried about any of those guys either, with the possible exception of Curtis Martin because he's getting up there in years, and Dominick Davis because his team's offense kinda stinks.

Willis had one bad game, on the road, in 100 degrees, against a great defense, on 13 carries, with no blocking, with zero passing, when we went three and out most series after throwing on first down, running predictably on 2-10, and then missing on third, when he was trying to do too much because he saw we werent doing anything. Willis is, and will be fine, and will probably explode this week.

I also have zero problem with what Mularkey said. But then again, he's only been a player and a coach for less than three decades, so maybe he needs another decade or two to understand what motivates and what doesn't motivate players.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2005/regular

agreed :bf1:

Mr. Miyagi
09-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Kelly you're lucky I actually read your post and didn't neg you just by the title.

Kelly The Dog
09-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Kelly you're lucky I actually read your post and didn't neg you just by the title.
See, the trick to responding to a post is to actually read it first. :brush:

Pride
09-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Is that accurate? What were his stats from the TB game? I would have thought that outting would have cut his ypc in half?

Kelly The Dog
09-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Is that accurate? What were his stats from the TB game? I would have thought that outting would have cut his ypc in half?
Yes, it's accurate. I linked the official nfl stats page, which is after two games. I didn't look it up but I think he was 13-34 or something in the TB game. The first game he was something like 22-117. Over 5 yards a pop. He's fine. I also think that he was just running that way because he was trying to break one. he didn't have any holes and he saw we werent passing well. If he just hit the holes harder, yeah, he would have got about 20 more yards, and the score would have been exactly the same.

Philagape
09-23-2005, 02:10 PM
I suspect Willis is playing for a big raise, so he'll wake up

EDS
09-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Willis is the least of the Bills worries on offense.

The last buffalo fan
09-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Willis is the least of the Bills worries on offense.
Exactly, just like Kelly is trying to let us know, with those numbers. Now it is time to focus on Atlanta, and nothing but Atlanta.

Guys, is there a huge difference, on their offense, with Vick hurting and/or without Vick??

Also, and for what I have been able to watch, we are not playing that bad, the OL is not that ugly, JP has been cool in there, not with the happy feet, there were some holes, not many, but we need to start hitting them. I'm really afraid to tell you this, but the boobs man was right, we need to execute, and sooner than later.

Anyway, we will be on our own backyard, with the fans, and the dogs looking for some blood, it doesn't matter whos, but blood. Oh Man. I dont want to be on the Atlantas shoes this sunday!!

Meathead
09-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes, he is one of the worst starters in the league, and if you have him on your fantasy team I'd suggest dropping him.

DaBills
09-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Well, average his two games and he's just average. At least he's not hurting the team.

Culpepper imo is the worst starter in the league.

Kelly The Dog
09-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Well, average his two games and he's just average. At least he's not hurting the team.

Not really. If you average his two games he finishes with 1200 yards, which would have put him 10th or 11th in the entire league last year. And he's not going to either face the Bucs defense or get only 13 carries very much the rest of the year. He had a lousy game on a day that 40 of the Bills players had a lousy game. People are wayyyyyy over-reacting to his play, his alleged sluggishness, and his reaction to what MM said. I will bet anyone here, barring injury, he ends up with 1300 yards and 10+ TDs, and probably a helluva lot more.

DaBills
09-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Not really. If you average his two games he finishes with 1200 yards, which would have put him 10th or 11th in the entire league last year. And he's not going to either face the Bucs defense or get only 13 carries very much the rest of the year. He had a lousy game on a day that 40 of the Bills players had a lousy game. People are wayyyyyy over-reacting to his play, his alleged sluggishness, and his reaction to what MM said. I will bet anyone here, barring injury, he ends up with 1300 yards and 10+ TDs, and probably a helluva lot more. You asked if he was the worst - currently, not at the end of the year. After game one, you could've pro-rated JP's numbers out to a QB rating of 400 by year's end, so that really means nothing. But, the answer to the him being the worst is a definite no. He isn't killing his team like a Culpepper is.

I look at his play in the context of the O overall, so far, not the whole season, and my point is there are a lot worse starters in the league. In two games he's averaged 75 yards a game and a 4.3 ypc, and is 14th overall. Sure looks like he's in the middle of the pack right now to me, but let's see his average after 4-5 games to get a better idea.

I'm on his side anyway. End of last season, I called for him to hit 1,700 this year.

Kelly The Dog
09-23-2005, 06:35 PM
You asked if he was the worst - currently, not at the end of the year. After game one, you could've pro-rated JP's numbers out to a QB rating of 400 by year's end, so that really means nothing. But, the answer to the him being the worst is a definite no. He isn't killing his team like a Culpepper is.

I look at his play in the context of the O overall, so far, not the whole season, and my point is there are a lot worse starters in the league. In two games he's averaged 75 yards a game and a 4.3 ypc, and is 14th overall. Sure looks like he's in the middle of the pack right now to me, but let's see his average after 4-5 games to get a better idea.

I'm on his side anyway. End of last season, I called for him to hit 1,700 this year.
The title of the post was obviously sarcastic. The thread is about the fact I don't think he has been bad, and I think he'll be great for the most part. I was just commenting on how a lot of Bills fans were getting on Willis for being in a slump, or playing bad, when a lot of the best backs in the game are having a lot bigger problems than he is.

DaBills
09-23-2005, 07:16 PM
I hear ya. I'd say to anyone worried just chill, it's a LONG season. I got a feeling he'll be hitting things harder this weekend against Atlanta.

;-p

ddaryl
09-23-2005, 07:52 PM
YARDS PER CARRY

In general I agree, but I am a little more sour towards McGahee. This is essentially his 2nd year as a pro, and he too still has some to learn about being an NFL back and a leader. Cadillac Williams looked like the all-star RB on the field in 100 degree heat against our D which played tough IMO. Cadillac made some sweet cuts and quickly hit holes. Willis just looked in-decisive to me. I hope to see a much different and determined Willis this Sunday regardless of how are OL is playing.I would like to see the coaches call some RB sweeps, but I doubt Anderson is much of a pulling guard, and I don't think Villarial is much better.

Mularkey has years of coaching experience but this is his 2nd year calling the shots. He too is going to make blunders. Not trying to go double tightend, and power run at Tampa, then stick with it still confuses me. Its great to have confidence in JP, and JP has been a model student with his prep work and practice habits, but MM and staff might have needed to be reminded about the value of establishing the run, and taking some of the pressure off of JP this soon in the season.

Overall I'm not worried, but that could change if they don't get it together for Atlanta.

Here's some positive rep for ya. I'm so tired of reading whiny posts about he sucks, they sucks. This one was refreshing :posrep:

DaBills
09-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Thing is with teams like TB, Jax and the Fins, they train in that humidity and heat more than most teams and they get an edge over most D's that aren't used to it, so I usually expect their RB's to play well, except in Buffalo - in december.

;-p

Mike13
09-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Man you guys dont have to worry about Willis, you got a bad ass RB for many years to come.