PDA

View Full Version : NFL reveals officiating mistake in Giants-49ers game

northernbillfan
01-06-2003, 04:01 PM
The NFL has released a statement regarding a missed call by officials in the final play of Sunday's NFC Wild Card matchup between the San Francisco 49ers and the New York Giants.

San Francisco rallied from a 24-point deficit to beat New York, 39-38, but NFL Director of Officiating Mike Pereira reviewed the video on Monday and revealed that the Giants should have been given another shot at the game's last-second, field goal attempt.

Some notes:

The Giants' Tam Hopkins, No. 65, lined up as the left guard and was illegally downfield on the pass. All three flags thrown by the officials were for that penalty.

Rich Seubert, No. 69 and normally a guard, lined up as an eligible receiver on the play. He reported to the officiating crew before the game that he would man that position on field goals.

49ers defensive end Chike Okeafor interfered with Seubert when he was attempting to catch Allen's pass. No defensive pass interference penalty was called.

ESPN.com (http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs02/s/2003/0106/1487933.html)

SportsNetwork.com (http://sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/news/ABN2389484.htm)

mybills
01-06-2003, 04:41 PM
:mad:

PA Season Ticket Holder
01-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Probably wouldn't matter anyway. They would've muffed the next opportunity up too.

I don't keep up with the G-Man very much. What put them in the position to have them bums out there who couldn't even kick a FG?

I heard they signed the LS for the playoffs. Did some players get hurt?

Cntrygal
01-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by northernbillfan
The Giants' Tam Hopkins, No. 65, lined up as the left guard and was illegally downfield on the pass. All three flags thrown by the officials were for that penalty.

Rich Seubert, No. 69 and normally a guard, lined up as an eligible receiver on the play. He reported to the officiating crew before the game that he would man that position on field goals.

49ers defensive end Chike Okeafor interfered with Seubert when he was attempting to catch Allen's pass. No defensive pass interference penalty was called.

Ya know, I mentioned this to a "Giants fan" today when we caught a highlight at work.... and he told me I was mistaken and that Seubert was a lineman and therefore couldn't catch the ball.... LOL... boy I can't wait to see him at work tomorrow!

don137
01-07-2003, 10:49 AM
This is as painful for Giant fans as the Music City Miracle was to Buffalo fans.

mybills
01-07-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by PA Season Ticket Holder
Probably wouldn't matter anyway. They would've muffed the next opportunity up too.

I don't keep up with the G-Man very much. What put them in the position to have them bums out there who couldn't even kick a FG?

As a G-fan, they've been good all season, so I wouldn't be so quick to say they would've muffed again. The best thing they did last year was to get Jeremy Shockey on that team. He came out of the box like that in pre-season. I think of him & Tiki sort of like a Price & Moulds package deal.

As for the field goals, it's only been the last couple of games where they've had trouble with it. Hollis did the same thing, so what? The thing that screwed them was youth. Let the other guy get the taunting penalty, take the great field
position/opportunity, and keep your mouth shut! ;)

They'll rock on next year, I'm sure!