PDA

View Full Version : Hammering of Hamister is perplexing - Buffalo News article

Sabre Ally
01-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Hammering of Hamister is perplexing

1/6/2003

By DONN ESMONDE
Maybe the best thing Mark Hamister could do is change his name to Ralph Wilson.

Five years ago, the Bills owner got everything from taxpayers save the keys to our cars in a deal to keep the Bills here.

It was a $124 million package for a team that plays in an isolated suburban stadium that's empty 350 days a year. Yet county taxpayers will spend $2.4 million this year alone on renovations - on the heels of a $62 million face lift - for an owner who reportedly pockets $11 million a year.

Some folks grumbled, this columnist among them, but people let Wilson feast at the subsidy trough without much fuss.

Hamister comes along and wants a quarter of what Wilson got, most of it in loan refinancing. He doesn't want it to buy the debt-heavy team in a shaky league but to prop up a $120 million downtown arena taxpayers invested $55 million in. He apologized weeks ago for not being more clear, earlier, about the need for outside help.

Full Story (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030106/1034284.asp)

Typ0
01-06-2003, 08:36 PM
I think Hammister want's to run for mayor. I can't think of one reason he would want to get involved with this other than that. THe public is treating him like he is a greedy hungry monger. They don't know one thing about what they are talking about. The only thing they know is Rigas's are jerks and now they are taking it out on Hammister. Frankly, I think people should be ashamed the way they are treating Hammister I believe he has the best interest of the city at heart. The only reason he stepped up to help with the Sabres is because he could. Most millionairres would have kept their dollars in their pockets.

Sabre Ally
01-06-2003, 09:10 PM
He also has a personal interest in what happens to the arena, since he owns the Destroyers. It's pretty much a win-win situation for him to save what he already has and get the Sabres in the deal, too. (I'm not saying that's a bad thing.)