PDA

View Full Version : Pasquarelli: Lebeau To be Bills Defensive Cooridator

Novacane
01-06-2003, 09:44 PM
According to empire sports report tonight at 10:30 ,ESPN's Len Pasquarelli is reporting the Bills will hire Lebeau as Defensive cooridinator and Jerry Gray will be offered the chance to stay on as LB's coach.

I tried to find a link on ESPN but it is not up there yet.

Cntrygal
01-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the update BTR4 6!!!! If you find the link you can also post it thru the "front page" (billszone.com). Click where it says "submit news" and we'll get it published for you!!

Buffarama
01-06-2003, 10:21 PM
I love a GM that takes action, unlike a certain hockey GM.
Playoffs boys, here we come!

BillsMan80
01-06-2003, 10:44 PM
I really hope JG stays on. I think JG has some serious potential as a coach, but just needs more experience. I think he was rushed into his role as DC, and I think LeBeau will be able to teach and mentor Gray so JG can take over when LeBeau retires.

clumping platelets
01-06-2003, 11:06 PM
Sounds like a plan............but what if Lebeau replaces GW and then Jerry becomes the DC again......hmmmmmmm

BillsMan80
01-06-2003, 11:07 PM
I highly doubt LeBeau would replace GW. Dick is 64 or 65 years old. Who knows how long he'll even be here.

justasportsfan
01-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by BillsMan80
I highly doubt LeBeau would replace GW. Dick is 64 or 65 years old. Who knows how long he'll even be here.

That's cold man!:snicker:

BillsMan80
01-06-2003, 11:13 PM
It's not cold or anything, it's just the fact that he's not getting any younger. I mean, dealing with the Bengals for that long is just depressing. I mean, granted we could have him for 4-5 years or something of that sort, but we don't know how long he wants to coach.

justasportsfan
01-06-2003, 11:43 PM
It's not cold or anything, it's just the fact that he's not getting any younger. I mean, dealing with the Bengals for that long is just depressing. I mean, granted we could have him for 4-5 years or something of that sort, but we don't know how long he wants to coach.

Yeah, yeah . we know what you meant. You meant he might croke soon. :stick: jk

JJamezz
01-07-2003, 01:18 AM
I'll tell you one thing, that guy looks damn good for 65... Looks at least 10 years younger than that.

clumping platelets
01-07-2003, 01:26 AM

Don't ever become management, I would hate to see how many age discrimination cases are filed against you :chuckle:

Ð
01-07-2003, 01:32 AM
So what are you saying?
Tell Lebeau not to buy green banannas because he may not get to eat them ? ;)

SABURZFAN
01-07-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
According to empire sports report tonight at 10:30 ,ESPN's Len Pasquarelli is reporting the Bills will hire Lebeau as Defensive cooridinator and Jerry Gray will be offered the chance to stay on as LB's coach.

I tried to find a link on ESPN but it is not up there yet.

i hope spikes will be not too far behind him then.

Bulldog
01-07-2003, 07:16 AM
While listening to 107.7 on the way to work this morning, they were talking to a guy who covers the Bengals for the paper in Cincy and he said the Bengals were going to place the transition tag on Spikes. This means that Cincy could match any offer Spikes recieves and still retain his services.

According to their owner, he said he is willing to let another team negotiate Spikes contract for him. Don't think we will see Spikes in a Bills uniform any time soon!!!

Cntrygal
01-07-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog
While listening to 107.7 on the way to work this morning, they were talking to a guy who covers the Bengals for the paper in Cincy and he said the Bengals were going to place the transition tag on Spikes. This means that Cincy could match any offer Spikes recieves and still retain his services.

According to their owner, he said he is willing to let another team negotiate Spikes contract for him. Don't think we will see Spikes in a Bills uniform any time soon!!!

:(

Novacane
01-07-2003, 08:37 AM
I still have not seen any links to this story and none of the radio stations have said anything about it this morining. I don't know if someone at Empire is friends with Pasquarelli or what because he still has no story on ESPN about this. Empire definately said Pasqarelli was thier source so I guess we'll have to wait and see. I know Pasqarelli is bud's with TD so if anyone knows it would be him.

Kelly The Dog
01-07-2003, 09:02 AM
Hard to believe that TD would leak this kind of thing, even to Len P., and then Len would say something to some joker at Empire before writing it in a story. I would bet that their Len P source was his column yesterday at ESPN.com that speculated about this, and wasn't even Len P alking but rather a "AFC Scouting Director" that a lot of people attributed to Len P. just because it was on his page, even though he never said it himself, or anything close to it, in print.

ejsmith
01-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't want to see Lebeau hired as DC? I think that almost certainly means changing our entire defensive scheme again and I can't imagine that GW would be excited about the fact that his defense wouldn't be used anymore. I think hiring Lebeau as DC would basically spell the end for GW. Now don't get me wrong. I don't think that GW has been great or anything so far, but I do believe that he should be given 1 more year to do things his way with a full roster on D.

Earthquake Enyart
01-07-2003, 12:01 PM
Empire probably made up their sources. People do that all the time.

Buffarama
01-07-2003, 12:07 PM
I doubt changing our defensive scheme is going to hurt us.

BillsNYC
01-07-2003, 12:23 PM
i heard this on empire last night too. what kind of defense does he run? if hes the DC..and gilbride is running the offense..what the hell is gw going to do??

ejsmith
01-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Exactly. At that point it would be stupid not to just get rid of GW and start over.

Why would you think that changing defensive schemes wouldn't hurt us? There is always a learning curve when bringing in a new scheme. It takes time, usually a full year, before guys are really comfortable and playing well.

ublinkwescore
01-07-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
i heard this on empire last night too. what kind of defense does he run? if hes the DC..and gilbride is running the offense..what the hell is gw going to do??

GW will just stand around looking professional and stuff, and maybe he'll get a lift so his supposed manboobs are firmer, less noticable.

Buffarama
01-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Didn't GW essentially have the same thing happen to him Tennessee? The defensive Coordinator role was was being handed over to his predecessor, and he was losing control of it and getting phased out.
Same thing here. His authority and decision making is in question, he's being stripped of his delegating power slowly. Almost every coaching decison he has made has been trumped.
I say get it over with and do it now, he's gone.

Buffarama
01-07-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ejsmith
Exactly. At that point it would be stupid not to just get rid of GW and start over.

Why would you think that changing defensive schemes wouldn't hurt us? There is always a learning curve when bringing in a new scheme. It takes time, usually a full year, before guys are really comfortable and playing well.

Not all schemes take a year to learn. How we could be any worse besides. The Bills were rarely playing a 46 anyways, and more cover two as the year went on. Even GW admitted this.
These guys are profesionals. Don't forget the importance of play calling and game planning, which has nothing to do with a learning curve of the player.

Novacane
01-07-2003, 02:10 PM
I still think there is a 50/50 chance GW gets fired. If he balks at Lebeau comming in here TD may just say the hell with you and can him too!

JefftheBillsfan
01-07-2003, 02:31 PM
It is possible for Leabeau to coach the 46. Ted Cottrell is coaching the 4-3 when his forte is the 3-4. Same thing could happen. I wouldnt mind seeing a combination...