PDA

View Full Version : Ya know, Are we being too harsh about the team?

X-Era
09-26-2005, 11:23 AM
I just saw it on NFL Network, he said we were a really really really good football team and that we were alot like them.

I just wonder if TB and ATL go on to be in contention for the NFC championship game.

If that happens, do you reconsider your assessment of this team?

I have to say I might. I heard us trash the Bills about barely losing to the Jags and then watch the Jags show that they were one of the leagues best.

I think many of us may be eating our words. What if the Bills simply arent at the championship game level yet but just got done playing 2 championship caliper teams. Carnell has certainly done it against all 3 of the teams he has played. Vick certainly has shown that he gets it done regardless of who he is playing.

Maybe we simply are expecting our QB to look yooung, and our D to be dominant without knowing how good our opponenets are right now. Maybe its that we are actually good but have played 2 fantastic teams in a row. We actually did look pretty damn good against Houston.

We may want to puyt a bridle on our mouths and temper our tempers about these 2 losses until we see where these teams are at the end of the year. Hell, ATL just came off a win against Philly!

Forward_Lateral
09-26-2005, 11:28 AM
I hope you are right.

L.A. Playa
09-26-2005, 11:29 AM
ATlanta was in the NFC championship game last year and Mike Vick just wins as a starting QB, Tampa is 3-0 with Cadillac looking like he may set an NFL record. We played Tampa in their home opener. The Bills defense and JP looked like crap and that is a concern but all is not lost there are winable games coming up on the schedule. DOnt panic and give up all is not lost

Novacane
09-26-2005, 11:31 AM
I just saw it on NFL Network, he said we were a really really really good football team and that we were alot like them.

!

He did'nt look like he thought that when he was laughing after TJ Duckett bowled over our D on that TD run. Don't put stock in what these guys say publically.

X-Era
09-26-2005, 11:41 AM
He did'nt look like he thought that when he was laughing after TJ Duckett bowled over our D on that TD run. Don't put stock in what these guys say publically.
So your point is that Mora simply talked us up to be nice and thinks we suck, OK, fine, but they were still in the NFC championship game last year and just beat the Eagles. Ohh and by the way, we DIDNT get blown out by them but lost by 8 points.

Not sure where you are headed here. If we got blown out and stunk up the field I would never have raised this question. BUT, we played sound football against Houston WITHOUT much of anything from Willis, we lost badly on the road, and we played tough against a team that was in the NFC championship game last year and just beat the Eagles and we only lost by 8 points.

If you add all that up plus throw in Cadillac potentially breaking an NFL record, Willis having a career high 140 yards against ATL, we come up with we suck? I copuld make qan arguement that we may be being too harsh and I think the evidence would support it.

Mudflap1
09-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Save it! This team does not have it. They DO NOT have IT!. That intangible, winning attitude. When you win and play well and make it look easy. These boys don't have it. It's certainly not because of a lack of talent. However, there is talent lacking at key areas. J.P. Losman, while he may become good one day, looks like a junior high school quarterback. Drew Bledsoe threw for more yards yesterday than Losman has thrown for the whole season combined. For all those that said "well, he can't be any worse than Drew", well, he can! I hope he gets better, but he is completely unimpressive so far. I'm all for a guy learning, having bumps in the road, etc. but he looked completely clueless in the second half yesterday with the game on the line. I guess that's a step up from Tampa though because he looked completely clueless the whole game there.

What's really disturbing is that our defense, a once solid and proud unit, looks pretty crappy these days. Now, with TKO gone, they're only going to get worse. Sure, if it makes you sleep better at night, tell yourself that the boys will rally around each other because of their fallen comrade. Ain't gonna happen, they're going to get worse. How many yards to Tampa rush for after Spikes got hurt?

Also, ahem, who said Michael Vick sucks? The guys was friggin' spectacular yesterday. He made EVERYONE on our defense look shameful. He even passed well!

The coaches and general manager have some serious questions to answer and some soul-searching to do for putting this team in this position. There's no excuse to have a completely unproven quarterback and one of the most talented defenses in the NFL, and to look this incompetent, unimpressive, and overall putrid.

I will continue to cheer loudly on Sundays and hope for a miraculous turnaround, but frankly, I don't know if I've ever been more ashamed or embarrassed to be a Buffalo Bills fan than I am right now. No excuse for this team, 5+ years into the Tom Donahoe regime, and 1+ years into the Mike Mularkey regime, to be this unprepared, outcoached, outfoxed, outhustled, and outplayed.

Jon

Mini Mouse
09-26-2005, 12:09 PM
Great post mud.

DaBills
09-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Glass half-full here but the one bright spot is that none of the losses have been against division opponents. Regardless, we need to get on track fast and kick NO's ass Sunday.

X-Era
09-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Save it! This team does not have it. They DO NOT have IT!. That intangible, winning attitude. When you win and play well and make it look easy. These boys don't have it. It's certainly not because of a lack of talent. However, there is talent lacking at key areas. J.P. Losman, while he may become good one day, looks like a junior high school quarterback. Drew Bledsoe threw for more yards yesterday than Losman has thrown for the whole season combined. For all those that said "well, he can't be any worse than Drew", well, he can! I hope he gets better, but he is completely unimpressive so far. I'm all for a guy learning, having bumps in the road, etc. but he looked completely clueless in the second half yesterday with the game on the line. I guess that's a step up from Tampa though because he looked completely clueless the whole game there.

What's really disturbing is that our defense, a once solid and proud unit, looks pretty crappy these days. Now, with TKO gone, they're only going to get worse. Sure, if it makes you sleep better at night, tell yourself that the boys will rally around each other because of their fallen comrade. Ain't gonna happen, they're going to get worse. How many yards to Tampa rush for after Spikes got hurt?

Also, ahem, who said Michael Vick sucks? The guys was friggin' spectacular yesterday. He made EVERYONE on our defense look shameful. He even passed well!

The coaches and general manager have some serious questions to answer and some soul-searching to do for putting this team in this position. There's no excuse to have a completely unproven quarterback and one of the most talented defenses in the NFL, and to look this incompetent, unimpressive, and overall putrid.

I will continue to cheer loudly on Sundays and hope for a miraculous turnaround, but frankly, I don't know if I've ever been more ashamed or embarrassed to be a Buffalo Bills fan than I am right now. No excuse for this team, 5+ years into the Tom Donahoe regime, and 1+ years into the Mike Mularkey regime, to be this unprepared, outcoached, outfoxed, outhustled, and outplayed.

Jon
1) No you arent "all for a guy learning". If you were you wouldnt have slammed him the way you did. So you save it, save the BS that you are willing to support a guy who is learning, you havent and arent going to. You are not WITH JP at this point, you are AGAINST him.

2) Absolutely right about the D, Any D thats plays for only 2 downs out of 4 gives up alot of points. No excuse for that. There is NOTHING that JP can do to keep the D from giving up 3 TD's.

3) I agree with your assessment of Vick but add another hitch to it. If you know who Vick is and what he can do, you rush the hell out of him leaving guys wide open? Clearly contain wasnt in our plan on Sunday, again JP cant do crap to adjust the D schemes that were called.

4) There is an excuse for having an unproven QB, its called wanting to finally have one thats worth a crap in the Kelly aftermath. Maybe they screwed up, myabe not, time will tell. But you cant fault them for the plan, Schop and the other WGR idiots are flat out wrong. 6 of the 8 playoff teams last year had 1st round QB's. Its a sound plan, many teams have done it with success. If you dont like it root for the Browns they have a clown like Dilfer or how bout the Cards with there "stud" in Warner. The Bills made their choice and we fans will have to deal with it, but hey, your "all for a guy learning" so this is a moot point after all. As far as the D, they are not as bad as you make them out to be. If ATL and TB go deep in the playoffs, maybe you will say, gosh we did actually play pretty strong against them.

5) Again, I have NO clue what fans like you hope to accomplish with this crap. You dont make yourself feel better, you annoy alot of us who remain hopefull and you have NO impact on what the Bills will do next. Who are you actually helping? It sounds like your whole opinion revolves around TD and CO making bad choices and us being screwed because of it. Well, Im not sure you are going to be able to do anything about that so why piss us all off?

BillsFanCupp38
09-26-2005, 12:27 PM
This is true, maybe we are getting a little too worked up about all this. TB and Atl both had good ball clubs. I dont think we are giving them enough credit. But if we want to be a successful team then we have to beat the good teams too, not just the shi**y ones. Hopefully our team gets better in the year and we can beat some good teams. If Losman cant beat the saints i would salvage the season by pulling him and starting Holcomb, and thats just the way it is.

Novacane
09-26-2005, 12:35 PM
So your point is that Mora simply talked us up to be nice and thinks we suck, OK, fine, but they were still in the NFC championship game last year and just beat the Eagles. Ohh and by the way, we DIDNT get blown out by them but lost by 8 points.

Not sure where you are headed here. If we got blown out and stunk up the field I would never have raised this question. BUT, we played sound football against Houston WITHOUT much of anything from Willis, we lost badly on the road, and we played tough against a team that was in the NFC championship game last year and just beat the Eagles and we only lost by 8 points.

If you add all that up plus throw in Cadillac potentially breaking an NFL record, Willis having a career high 140 yards against ATL, we come up with we suck? I copuld make qan arguement that we may be being too harsh and I think the evidence would support it.

Dude.....I'm on your side here. I'm not throwing in the towel either. All I was saying is I don't put any stock in what other teams coachs say. They're not gonna come out and say man our opponent sucked today.

X-Era
09-26-2005, 12:36 PM
This is true, maybe we are getting a little too worked up about all this. TB and Atl both had good ball clubs. I dont think we are giving them enough credit. But if we want to be a successful team then we have to beat the good teams too, not just the shi**y ones. Hopefully our team gets better in the year and we can beat some good teams. If Losman cant beat the saints i would salvage the season by pulling him and starting Holcomb, and thats just the way it is.
So you would hypothetically sacrifice the next 3 to 5 years to save THIS season? Do you think Holcomb can win us a SB? If not when do we get our QB to do that? When are we willing to let that QB "learn", I hope you dont believe TD will trade or pay for a SB caliper QB after Drew.

Im just wondering when you WILL be onboard with sacrificing a season to build us into a SB team.

justasportsfan
09-26-2005, 12:39 PM
we will make playoffs

Iehoshua
09-26-2005, 12:43 PM
we will make playoffs
Thank you, Coach Fassel.

Mudflap1
09-26-2005, 12:50 PM
5) Again, I have NO clue what fans like you hope to accomplish with this crap. You dont make yourself feel better, you annoy alot of us who remain hopefull and you have NO impact on what the Bills will do next. Who are you actually helping? It sounds like your whole opinion revolves around TD and CO making bad choices and us being screwed because of it. Well, Im not sure you are going to be able to do anything about that so why piss us all off?Sorry if I'm not an ostrich with pom poms like a lot of people on here. Did I say J.P. Losman will never be a good quarterback? No I didn't. I said he's sucked the last two games. That's fact. Is anybody going to challenge that? I'm not willing to throw away 1, 2, whatever years to see if this guy develops. The whole point about starting Losman this year was that Bledsoe was 'so bad' last year, Losman was mobile and READY to take the reigns, the coaches decided we would be BETTER THIS YEAR than last year, and not only not miss a beat, but go in the right direction. SO FAR, this has NOT happened. Is anybody going to argue this point? Rookie and 2nd year quarterbacks often times struggle and look fairly bad at certain times, however, not throwing for more than 100 yards in two consecutive games is extremely junior high-ish. This is the NFL. These guys are paid the big bucks. The coaches are paid the big bucks. The general manager is paid the big bucks. So far, very unimpressive. Did I say I'm not rooting for the Bills any longer? Did I say I was going to disown the team? I said the last two games were extremely embarassing. They were. Many people on here have very high expectations for this team (much higher than me actually), and this team is underachieving. The defense is underachieving. The special teams is fair, but they haven't achieved number 1 special teams status like they were last year. And the offense is certainly underachieving. Thank goodness the running game got going from start to finish yesterday, but the passing game is PUTRID. It's worse than bad. It's HORRIBLE. WORST IN THE LEAGUE! I mean seriously, how can you guys sit here and say "it's not his fault", "he's gonna be great", "we're still gonna make the playoffs", etc. with performances like that? He may turn it around, but he better get his ass in gear real quick, because he's not showing that 1) he can check off on his receivers, 2) he can look off receivers, 3) he can consistently throw accurately more than 8 yards downfield, 4) he can hit the open receivers, 5) he utilizes the talent at hand (Lee Evans, 1 catch? Moulds? C'mon, you can't tell me these guys aren't getting open against a team that has TWO cornerbacks (and they wre BOTH banged up) and the rest are safeties. He can't read a defense yet.

Again, I'm rooting for the guy hard every Sunday. But he certainly isn't living up to the billing that coaches have given us to this point, that he's ready to read defenses and "not lose" games for this team.

The coaches, players, general manager, and fans better wake up real quick or this season could slip away. Bottom line.

If that's negative and I should take it elsewhere than I guess I'll let the ostrich club sit and tell us for 3 years that J.P.'s really gonna turn it around. We've all been there and done that, haven't we? I mean seriously, at their WORST Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, Doug Flutie, Alex Van Pelt, and Todd Collins did not have two statistically worse back to back games at quarterback than we have just witnessed the past two weeks. Think about THAT!

Wake up Buffalo!

Jon

DaBills
09-26-2005, 01:00 PM
"SO FAR, this has NOT happened."

Actually it has. A season is 16 games, not three. Or did you forget Drew's steller 0-4 start last year? So I guess JP already beat that high watermark.

Mudflap1
09-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Compare Bledsoe's first three starts last year to Losman's.

Jon

Mudflap1
09-26-2005, 01:06 PM
I'm glad Bledsoe isn't here anymore, because he wasn't cutting it either. But if you get rid of him, you better have a good alternative. The jury is more than still out on Losman.

Jon

DaBills
09-26-2005, 01:15 PM

Jon
I did:

Bledsoe 0-3

JP 1-2

Mudflap1
09-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Stats! Oh, I forgot, Bledsoe personally lost us 7 games last year.

Fourth quarter yesterday. Stumbled on fourth and 1, took 12 yard sack on the 12 yard line, threw interception, got sacked and fumbled ball. Crisp.

I'm all for the guy, but he's gotta show us SOMETHING!

Jon

Mini Mouse
09-26-2005, 01:20 PM
Yippee Skippy! Josh Mora's compliments and $.05 buys us a piece of bazooka gum!

DaBills
09-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Stats! Oh, I forgot, Bledsoe personally lost us 7 games last year.

Fourth quarter yesterday. Stumbled on fourth and 1, took 12 yard sack on the 12 yard line, threw interception, got sacked and fumbled ball. Crisp.

I'm all for the guy, but he's gotta show us SOMETHING!

Jon
By crisp, do you mean having a ball stripped in the backfield and recovered for a TD, like in the NE and Pitt games? Hey, even Brett Favre sucked his first year. Now based on what we've seen, I won't say JP is Favre, but throwing the guy out before he gets a full season to prove something is premature.

But why is Drew so average after 10+ years though?

Mudflap1
09-26-2005, 01:35 PM
363 yards and two come-from-behind wins in three games is average? Granted, I don't want to get this into a J.P. - Drew debate, because, like I said, I'm glad Drew is gone, for the same reasons you probably are. Yeah, he blew some games for sure.

Did I say to throw Losman out? This is gut-check time man. It's time to step up and be the real McCoy, be the guy the coaches think he is. So far, he hasn't shown it. The season is still young, but I don't want another season to be mailed in and forgotten about because we're playing for next year. It's time for 1) Losman to step up and at least be an AVERAGE quarterback. If he's so damn talented, he should be able to throw for 150 yards, 50% completion, and be able to throw touchdown passes to more guys than Jason Peters. 2) the defense better step up fast too. It ain't brain surgery to figure out what everybody is gonna do -- run right at Crowell. It's happened the last two weeks. He over-commits and hits the wrong gaps. Last in the league in defense for rushing after three games is not a 'world-class' defense, and we have the proven players where there is no logical excuse.

Losman better get his act together. If he's playing as scared as he looks, he might as well start playing with caution to the wind, because scared ain't cuttin' it so far. There's no excuse for this team to rush for 140 yards and be averaging 13 points a game.

The time is now Losman, Mama said 'STEP UP!'

Jon

JD
09-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Too much talk about how good/bad other teams are. Let's talk about the Bills. McGahee had a good game, but JP....he cant hit the long ball....and short passes he finds it hard to connect...hes always underthrowing his recievers and Im sure that pisses them off. Lee Evans 2 receptions for 7 yards. JP does get good scrambles but he seems to panic when forced to make a decision. He hardly plants his feet when he throws which leads to innacuracy. Ill be the first to admit that I have like no patience for JP. It may be because of his positive winning attitude that gives me confidence but just crashes down on me. Without spikes now it will be even tougher on the O-line and Special teams to make something happen.

zone
09-26-2005, 01:49 PM

Jon
In the first 3 games last year Bledsoe still had 600 yards passing and a qb rating inthe high 80's. The problem then was implementing a new system and a couple of close losses. We made the wrong choice, period.

DaBills
09-26-2005, 02:01 PM
I'm just saying the overall collective mindset against JP would dictate benching him, and I disagree for now with that. As far as the DB vs. (insert anyone) debate, I'm done after I say he's a 13+ vet with a higher level of expectations on him than a rook. And Parcells was realistically the only one willing to put aside the 'Which Drew am I going to get?' questions everyone had. If Drew was actually better than the suspect O-line that was around him, why doesn't the O-line factor into JP's play? I suspect JP's happy feet are masking how bad the Oline is because he's outrunning trouble - barely.

Back to JP this Sunday: he needs to do high-percentage things that work. Going for the home run to Moulds isn't the answer. Handing off to WM and running screens with TE's involved might be. If Brady can throw quick outs or slants, than that shouldn't be something beneath this coaching staff to try either. That little stuff will set up the deeper routes. It ain't glamerous but it moves the chains and eats up clock.

finsrclowns
09-26-2005, 02:11 PM

I just wonder if TB and ATL go on to be in contention for the NFC championship game.

If that happens, do you reconsider your assessment of this team?

Bills fans are a simple bunch. They want to win one SB before they die. Talk is cheap. People can trash the team or compliment it, it really makes no difference in the end. If this team is a playoff contender they WILL beat a NO team that IMO is one of the 5 worst teams in the league, notwithstanding their emotional opening game victory. And no amount of talk is going to change that if we lose Sunday.

Mudflap1
09-26-2005, 02:14 PM
I agree, he needs to do dump offs and quick passes. I think that's their plan, but it AIN'T WORKING SO FAR! Also, yesterday they SHOULD HAVE been going for Moulds and Evans deep, their corners were banged up. He couldn't do it though, and when they went to dump offs in the second half, that wasn't working either.

It's just excruciatingly frustrating to watch. Must win this Sunday.

Jon

Typ0
09-26-2005, 02:29 PM
put a fork in us. Our defense just lost it's best player...and they already seemed to be going downhill. Our offense is completely inept at this point. ATL and TB both gave us plenty of opportunities to win...and we didn't capitalize on one of them. Maybe we will wake up in a few weeks and get some wins...but it's going to be too late as losing is going to take its toll. We're most likely out of the hunt IMO. I know it's only week 3...but the objective has got to be start strong and we haven't even started yet.

Jeff1220
09-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Not to make an excuse for JP, he played horribly, but he didn't actuallly get time to throw deep to Moulds or Evans, especially when they were playing from behind in the 4th. When he has had time, he made some poor decisions. But just like last year, this line still sucks (maybe even worse).

As for N.O., I wouldn't count them as a bad team just yet. They are 1-2, like quite a few other teams and this will be their true home opener this week...in a city that is just dying to show the US that they have what it takes to support an NFL franchise. The Saints might be quite inspired this week, as they were in Carolina.

DynaPaul
09-26-2005, 04:35 PM
So your point is that Mora simply talked us up to be nice and thinks we suck, OK, fine, but they were still in the NFC championship game last year and just beat the Eagles. Ohh and by the way, we DIDNT get blown out by them but lost by 8 points...

What'd you want Mora to say? "Yeah, they blow and we shoulda beat them by more points. Their defense is in the dictionary under the term 'paper tiger'"?