PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Harrison out for Season

Lexwhat
09-26-2005, 04:51 PM
Patriots safety Rodney Harrison tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and will miss the rest of the season, according to a report Monday by the Boston Globe, which quoted an anonymous source close to the situation...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4907534

I dont like him, but that's too bad. If he played for our team, we would love the guy.

Anyways, the Patriots will bounce back from this and probally win the Super Bowl, go figure.

Lexwhat
09-26-2005, 04:54 PM
Here's another source...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2173044

It also says: In addition to Harrison, the Patriots likely will be without starting left offensive tackle Matt Light (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5495) for the foreseeable future. Light suffered an injury to his right knee but full details were not yet available.

I wish we had their depth.

BAM
09-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Here's to a slow recovery. ass hole.:beers:

Not saying I'm happy he's hurt, but karma is a mofo.

OpIv37
09-26-2005, 05:00 PM
great, now we get to hear all season about how NE is so good at responding to injuries and see yet another area where NE is better than Buffalo :puke:

Lexwhat
09-26-2005, 05:05 PM
great, now we get to hear all season about how NE is so good at responding to injuries and see yet another area where NE is better than Buffalo :puke:

Sad but true.

MikeInRoch
09-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Good freaking riddance.

Novacane
09-26-2005, 05:38 PM
good! He's a dirty player.

Mike13
09-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah thats true, but at least they now have a glaring weakness that teams will take advantage of, now they wont look as good thats for sure.

You arent? I am. It would be even better karma if he was hit with a lead pipe in the knee but thats just me talking.

MTBillsFan
09-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Does anyone really care about that A$$ hole? I mean, to tear all 3 major ligaments...that takes talent! Here's to your recovery...I hope its slow, just so you can come back and get burned by Willis!!!

Mr. Cynical
09-26-2005, 11:48 PM
I don't wish anyone to get a serious injury, but I'll take whatever helps take the f**king pats down.

BAM
09-27-2005, 07:06 AM
Awwww I hurt NE39's feelings. He neg me. :(

casdhf
09-27-2005, 07:22 AM
I think this well end his career. He's too old to come back form this crap.

Italian Stallion
09-27-2005, 09:51 AM
I hate him, and so does the majority of the league. This is one guy that had this coming to him, after all of the players he has injured with his dirty style of play in the past. Hope he never, ever plays again. f$%^ Rodney Harrison.

pintonick96
09-27-2005, 10:53 AM
I don't like him as a fan, but as an athlete I feel sorry for the guy. He tore his ACL, MCL, PCL and any other "CL" you can find in his knee. That ****'s gotta hurt.

Kerr
09-27-2005, 11:15 AM
:D

Michael82
09-27-2005, 11:31 AM
I don't like him as a fan, but as an athlete I feel sorry for the guy. He tore his ACL, MCL, PCL and any other "CL" you can find in his knee. That ****'s gotta hurt.
But the good news is, it will probably end his career. We will never have to see that piece of **** take cheap shots on our players ever again. Good riddance. I feel bad that he's hurt, but like everyone said...it's called Karma. After everything that he's done, he deserves to go out like this. I just wish it happened before he got those ****ing Super Bowl rings.

Kerr
09-27-2005, 11:44 AM
I won't shed a tear. I'm glad this happened. He had it coming.

Michael82
09-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Is this part of the reason why? :scratch:

Sep 24 Darin Gantt, of the Rock Hill Herald, reports New England Patriots S Rodney Harrison was fined $5,000 by the league for ripping Carolina Panthers RB Stephen Davis' helmet off in the team's Week 2 game.

BAM
09-27-2005, 03:42 PM
I disliked his ass when he played for the Chargers, even more when he joined NE.

Ickybaluky
09-27-2005, 03:49 PM
I disliked his ass when he played for the Chargers, even more when he joined NE.

Rodney definitely is physical and some guys don't like that. He pushes it to the limit, as did guys like Ronnie Lott, Dick Butkus and Steve Atwater (some other of my all-time favorites).

I'll miss Rodney, he was one of my favorite players. I loved his game before he came to the Pats and was glad when he joined the team. He plays the game the way it supposed to be played, fast and physical. Unfortunately, that doesnt' play as well in today's NFL. They are trying to turn the game into a pillow fight.

casdhf
09-27-2005, 04:10 PM
yeah, cheap shot artists tend to go out of style

BAM
09-27-2005, 04:50 PM
There's a difference between a pillow fight and trying to break someone's neck and/or limbs.

And for the record, I was very upset when one of our Buffalo Bills did something similar last season. It happens everywhere. Every game. Every team.

I enjoy seeing a good hit many times a game, but there are rules in place for a reason.

DynaPaul
09-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Any team can overcome those injuries with the refs on their side!

PressCoverage
09-28-2005, 04:25 AM
But the good news is, it will probably end his career. We will never have to see that piece of **** take cheap shots on our players ever again. Good riddance. I feel bad that he's hurt, but like everyone said...it's called Karma. After everything that he's done, he deserves to go out like this. I just wish it happened before he got those ****ing Super Bowl rings.
and you're a moderator, spewing drivel like this? ... that's real classy....

look, i'm no patriots fan, but to suggest he's any dirtier than most safeties in this league, INCLUDING YOUR former patriot, is assanine... please, besides the Trent Green hit which was debatable, document for me the instance in which Rodney Harrison was truly and undeniably dirty... a hit outside the rules...

it's amazing to me how the world champs, who repeatedly hand Buffalo their head, are consistently dismissed as dirty and lucky... when, in fact, they are the toughest, smartest, classiest and most rescilliant team in the league... but yeah, they must be dirty and lucky... that's how children find a way to explain it to themselves how their own favorite team fails against the "evil" enemy.... dirty and lucky... whatever...

Rodney Harrison is/was a winner... His reputation as a dirty player came largely from his first few years with San Diego, and he's since become a smart, steady veteran LEADER... albeit an aggressive one...

yeah, wishing injury on a player who may never play again... may never walk right again... that's noble... perhaps it's time to evaluate your own morals... perhaps it's karma that will be paying a visit to YOU...

grow up...

BAM
09-28-2005, 07:24 AM
and you're a moderator, spewing drivel like this? ... that's real classy.... Freedom of speech my friend. This is the USA get used to it.

to suggest he's any dirtier than most safeties in this league, INCLUDING YOUR former patriot, is assanine... please, besides the Trent Green hit which was debatable, document for me the instance in which Rodney Harrison was truly and undeniably dirty... a hit outside the rules... I'm sure there is no reason that Rodney Harrison has been fined over $350,000 by the NFL throughout his career. I guess maybe they just don't like him. There's no way it's because of his dirty play. Nope, can't be it. I'm sure his peers also voted him most dirty player due to the fact he never washes his socks. That'd be my guess.

By the way, you're full of ****. He was fined four or five times last season, AS A PATRIOT. Remember the hit on Hines Ward during the Championship Game? Guess not. Get your facts straight before you jump all over someone.

it's amazing to me how the world champs, who repeatedly hand Buffalo their head, are consistently dismissed as dirty and lucky... when, in fact, they are the toughest, smartest, classiest and most rescilliant team in the league... but yeah, they must be dirty and lucky... that's how children find a way to explain it to themselves how their own favorite team fails against the "evil" enemy.... dirty and lucky... whatever... You obviously don't watch football then. The Pats are by far the luckiest team in history. I give them credit for overcoming certain obstacles with flying colors, but luck has played a big part as well, in my opinion.

You should probably just stick to your Press Coverage, you fit in well with those Tom Brady love fest reporters, only this time riding Rodney Harrison's dick.

Ickybaluky
09-28-2005, 08:20 AM
I'm sure there is no reason that Rodney Harrison has been fined over $350,000 by the NFL throughout his career.

If you look at the guys that are always fined, 90% of them are safeties. They are fined a lot because the position requires them to be physical, and the NFL doesn't like that anymore. The fact is they are fined for things that guys like Lott and Atwater were lauded for, which is basically hitting WR and QB too hard. The NFL has to protect the guys scoring TDs, even if it means the game gets turned into two-hand touch.

Is John Lynch dirry? He is one of the most fined guys in NFL history. Like Rodney he is also a team leaders and a class act. Fortunately for their teams they don't let the fines deter them from being hitters, which is part of the reason their teams win.

Remember the hit on Hines Ward during the Championship Game? Guess not. Get your facts straight before you jump all over someone.

Funny you should mention that, for Ward is a guy accused (wrongly) of taking cheap shots. He is a very physical blocking WR who loves to crack guys, which pisses off the guys being cracked.

The funny part of you mentioning him is that Ward and Harrison are good friends who admire each other for their style of play. Were you aware Ward checked up on Rodney after the game on Sunday? Ward is a player who plays the game the way it was meant to be played, which is why he and Rodney get along.

Check out some of these links:

link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/players/01/18/first_person0124/) - ON THE BIG HIT The hardest I was ever hit was by [Patriots safety] Rodney Harrison when he was with San Diego. I caught a pass, and as soon as I caught it, bam! He hit me straight up. My chin strap was on my eyebrows. I got right up and smiled. After the game, he said to me, 'Man, you're one tough son of a *****.' Great moment for me.

link (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=104261) - After the game, the Pats' Pro Bowl safety was on crutches outside the locker room with a brace on his left knee. He spoke briefly to Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward, receiving well wishes, before getting helped onto the back of a cart and driven out of the stadium.

link (http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=VideoNewsDetail&pid=10531&pcid=85) - I can probably sum up Hines Ward by saying he's a pro. He's a football player, and you rarely get a guy like Hines Ward in this league. You get so many guys that want to moon people, but a guy like that who's willing to block a defensive lineman, a safety, he's 100 miles per hour every play. He's definitely one of my toughest challenges personally. He's always after you. He's 205, 210-odd pounds, and he's tough as nails. He's one of the toughest football players I've ever faced. He's always out there laughing and smiling. If you get a good shot on him, he's going to come back on you. We talk a lot on the field. We play hard, and we both respect one another.

Does that sound like there are cheap shots between the two?

Kevin Mawae is another guy who gets accused of being dirty because he plays hard to the whistle. Another great player. It would be a far better game if everyone played it like that.

There are some on this board who really take this stuff too seriously. The players are doing their job and the best ones are the guys who do it with passion and professionalism, like Rodney. Ultimately, they are just people with strengths and weaknesses, good and bad. They have lives and are doing a job. I understand it has been a while since Buffalo has been a playoff team, but the bitterness and hatred towards some of these players is unbelievable, especially opponents.

Ultimately, the best thing is watching good football being played the right way. However, some of you are getting so wrapped up in it that you are in danger of becoming like Red Sox fans, who basically are the worst sort of fans imaginable. They are so wrapped up they think their whole lives revolve around the team, and their emotional responses to things that happen in the game (and it is just a game) are over the top. That is what some of you are becoming.

I really don't understand it.

Novacane
09-28-2005, 08:30 AM
There are some on this board who really take this stuff too seriously. The players are doing their job and the best ones are the guys who do it with passion and professionalism, like Rodney. Ultimately, they are just people with strengths and weaknesses, good and bad. They have lives and are doing a job. I understand it has been a while since Buffalo has been a playoff team, but the bitterness and hatred towards some of these players is unbelievable, especially opponents.

Ultimately, the best thing is watching good football being played the right way. However, some of you are getting so wrapped up in it that you are in danger of becoming like Red Sox fans, who basically are the worst sort of fans imaginable. They are so wrapped up they think their whole lives revolve around the team, and their emotional responses to things that happen in the game (and it is just a game) are over the top. That is what some of you are becoming.

I really don't understand it.

:rolleyes: The guy's a dirty player. He's hurt enough people, he got what he deserved.

Ickybaluky
09-28-2005, 08:35 AM
:rolleyes: The guy's a dirty player. He's hurt enough people, he got what he deserved.

Then Ronnie Lott, Dick Butkus, Willie Lanier, etc. are dirty too. Hell, Takeo Spikes would fall into that definition as well, since you are saying basically anyone who hits hard, plays fast, physical and mean is dirty.

The guy was a great player and a hell of a hitter.

Novacane
09-28-2005, 08:37 AM
There is a big differance between hitting hard and hitting late. The guy has all those fines for a reason.

BAM
09-28-2005, 10:57 AM
So yah... like I said:

I'm sure there is no reason that Rodney Harrison has been fined over $350,000 by the NFL throughout his career. I guess maybe they just don't like him. There's no way it's because of his dirty play. Nope, can't be it. I'm sure his peers also voted him most dirty player due to the fact he never washes his socks. That'd be my guess.

By the way, you're full of ****. He was fined four or five times last season, AS A PATRIOT. Remember the hit on Hines Ward during the Championship Game? Guess not. Get your facts straight before you jump all over someone

devour
09-28-2005, 11:05 AM
New England can have half the team hurt and will still blow out your clown of a football team. Way to relish on a player's injury. Why don't you worry about your season, or what remains of it, now that TKO is done. JP Losman, the savior, ROFLMAO. He couldn't hit water falling out of a boat.

BAM
09-28-2005, 11:09 AM
touchy touchy... and we're the ones taking things too seriously...

Unlike others, football doesn't mean the world to me. I don't even get pissed off when the team loses. It's only a game.

The thing that pisses me off is when players take advantage of the game. IE: Steroids, dirty hits, stupid ass celebrations, etc... That's where I draw the line. I like to see a good hit just as much as the next guy, but like I said I'm not happy he's hurt, but what goes around comes around. Good riddance.

Ickybaluky
09-28-2005, 11:16 AM
The fines prove nothing, it is just hype. The only reason Harrison is so highly fined is he got a $100K fine for what was said to be a helmet-to-helmet hit on Jerry Rice (which is wasn't). They fined him because he hit a great player hard. John Lynch is a defensive back that is not above trying to knock a guy out who is trying to catch the ball. That puts him on the NFL hit list for fines.

Of course Lott and Atwater made those hits a thousand times over, but the league didn't care back then because they realized it was football. Guys get hit. Like those guys, Harrison played the game with rare intensity, and that is hard to take for players who don't play at that level or fans whose teams are beat by the guy.

That isn't homerism, either. I'd say it if Harrison was never a Patriot, for he has been one of my favorite NFL players for a long time. I'd say the same thing about John Lynch, Hines Ward and Kevin Mawae, all guys who have been accused of being 'dirty' at times, but who play the game the way it is meant to be played. All those guys will hit anyone that moves, and hit them as hard as they can.

The problem is people are getting soft, and they are trying to take the hitting out of the game.

I'm curious, who else do you guys think is 'dirty'? You could probably form an All-Star team with the guys on your list.

BAM
09-28-2005, 11:20 AM
I do agree that they are making the game soft, especially when it comes to protection of quarterbacks. It's nearly disgusting.

I'm not knocking Harrison's play. I think he gives 110% every game and I do admire that, but it just seems by watching him and hearing his remarks afterwards in the media, that he tends to take it too far at times.

Ickybaluky
09-28-2005, 11:31 AM
I'm not knocking Harrison's play. I think he gives 110% every game and I do admire that, but it just seems by watching him and hearing his remarks afterwards in the media, that he tends to take it too far at times.

I'll agree totally that the guy has a major chip on his shoulder and it gets annoying. The 'disrespect' theme gets a little old after a while, especially once the team wins for a prolonged period. Willie McGinest does it to some regard as well.

That doesn't mean I want to see the guy get hurt. The NFL doesn't have enough guys who play with the kind of intensity. Those guys drive the game, and that is where the Pats will miss him the most. It is very similar to what Lawyer Milloy (who is a lot like Rodney, IMO, right down to the chip on his shoulder) brings to the Bills.

BAM
09-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Unlike a couple others, I'm not saying I'm happy he's hurt either. While my words may have been a bit harsh, I would not wish injury upon anyone. Ever.

Here's to a slow recovery. ass hole.:beers:

Michael82
09-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Another example...

Cheap shot of the day came from New England Patriots safety Rodney Harrison, a guy known for playing dirty (his cheap shot in an exhibition game in 1999 knocked out then St. Louis Rams quarterback Trent Green for the season). Against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, Harrison was flagged 15 yards for hitting quarterback Josh McNown after he stepped out of bounds. What was terrible about the hit was that Harrison went for McNown’s knees, a no-no. I hope the NFL levies a major fine on Harrison; he’s a great player but doesn’t seem to mind if he seriously injures an opponent.
http://www.outsports.com/nfl/2004/week2.htm

Michael82
09-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Oh and didn't he just get fined $5,000 for ripping off Stephen Davis' helmet last week? I heard that Davis had a little bit of whiplash from it. What a surprise! Another sign of that jackass being too aggressive and trying to hurt a player.

He was already fined twice this season and it's only been 3 games so far. :shakeno:

He's an ass. I feel bad that he's hurt, but I won't cry about it. The NFL is better off without that jerk anyways.

mybills
09-28-2005, 12:10 PM
Wow NE, you stick up for him like Phil does the Jills! :rofl:

This thread sucks because it's about the Pats. :down:

Ickybaluky
09-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Oh and didn't he just get fined $5,000 for ripping off Stephen Davis' helmet last week? I heard that Davis had a little bit of whiplash from it. What a surprise! Another sign of that jackass being too aggressive and trying to hurt a player.

Rodney pushes the boundry of fair play, but I don't think he intentionally tries to injure guys. I've watched him play his whole career and there is no question he will hit guys a little late and try to intimidate. Ronnie Lott and Andre Davis did that as well, both were great safeties. People blow everything he does out of proportion because of his reputation.

The fact is you'd love the guy if he played for your team, just like you do Milloy. I remember Milloy diving at Tom Brady's knees last year (I'm still amazed Brady wasn't hurt), does that make him 'dirty'? Sometimes that is the way it goes, it doesn't mean it was done on purpose.

Harrison's passion for the game is undeniable.

Mike13
09-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Rodney pushes the boundry of fair play, but I don't think he intentionally tries to injure guys. I've watched him play his whole career and there is no question he will hit guys a little late and try to intimidate. Ronnie Lott and Andre Davis did that as well, both were great safeties. People blow everything he does out of proportion because of his reputation.

The fact is you'd love the guy if he played for your team, just like you do Milloy. I remember Milloy diving at Tom Brady's knees last year (I'm still amazed Brady wasn't hurt), does that make him 'dirty'? Sometimes that is the way it goes, it doesn't mean it was done on purpose.

Harrison's passion for the game is undeniable.
Pushes is an understatement, but he does play physical and he gets the job done well, although sometimes dirty. He's a good saftey but he can go to far sometimes.

Any knee dive is dirty I would be pissed if one of the Fins do something like that, and I havent seen that hapen, but i'm sure its happened.

Kerr
09-29-2005, 12:06 AM
I think Bill Romanowski used up this "passion for the game" excuse already.