• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IAG
    • Jan 2005

The Case for Holcomb

I believe the Bills need to pull Losman for Kelly Holcomb

1. If there is a change to the vet Holcomb, the team will feel more confident. They will no longer wonder about the QB position. On offense, the WR's will be charged up that their efforts will now get them the football. Secondly, the O-line will know the ball will be out on time. In other words, the offense will stay on schedule.

2. Defense will respect the passing game more and of course that will open up the running game.

3. We need a "point guard" at the QB position especially when Parrish comes back. Holcomb will distribute the ball and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers

4. With all the hits on defense, a change to Holcomb will bring some relief to them. They would not feel they had to do "everything" to win.

5. Look at the sked...Buffalo needs to win this week in San Antonio to simply get even. Then 3 division games are next. Miami at home is a must win and the Jets are just as knicked as the Bills. The Bills can honestly win 3 in a row, but only if J.P. grabs a seat.

6. All I hear is about J.P.'s development. Let's talk development: has anyone figured he could be aided by watching. He is rookie. QB's take time to develop. If the season goes south, then put him. However, the organization needs to try to win NOW and Holcomb is certainly the choice. They cannot wait. If Losman plays this weekend, the Bills will lose
  • jpdex12
    • Jan 2005

Re: The Case for Holcomb

Originally posted by IAG

1. If there is a change to the vet Holcomb, the team will feel more confident. They will no longer wonder about the QB position. On offense, the WR's will be charged up that their efforts will now get them the football. Secondly, the O-line will know the ball will be out on time. In other words, the offense will stay on schedule.

2. Defense will respect the passing game more and of course that will open up the running game.

3. We need a "point guard" at the QB position especially when Parrish comes back. Holcomb will distribute the ball and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers

4. With all the hits on defense, a change to Holcomb will bring some relief to them. They would not feel they had to do "everything" to win.

5. Look at the sked...Buffalo needs to win this week in San Antonio to simply get even. Then 3 division games are next. Miami at home is a must win and the Jets are just as knicked as the Bills. The Bills can honestly win 3 in a row, but only if J.P. grabs a seat.

6. All I hear is about J.P.'s development. Let's talk development: has anyone figured he could be aided by watching. He is rookie. QB's take time to develop. If the season goes south, then put him. However, the organization needs to try to win NOW and Holcomb is certainly the choice. They cannot wait. If Losman plays this weekend, the Bills will lose
    Would you give your kid up for adoption if he was young and didn't listen to directions or would you show patience and keep trying to teach him? We traded two first rounders for JP...they won't give up on him this easily! Glad that you're not a GM!
    Where else would you rather be than right here right now?

Comment

• The_Philster
      • Jul 2002

1...changing QBs like this will only raise more questions..Mularkey has made a decision to start a rookie and if he changes just a few games into the season, the players will doubt him
      2...how will the defense respect the passing game if we can't pass? JP has played poorly but it's not like the O-line has given him protection, either
      4...they haven't been doing nearly enough to win the last 2 games anyway..with Spikes gone, they still wouldn't...the team needs balance
      5...you're guaranteeing losses with JP?
      6..chances are, Holcomb may help...a little...but not enough to lead us to the playoffs and the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, our QB of the future learns next to nothing just watching
      The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• IAG
        • Jan 2005

Did Steve McNair learn by watching? Did Trent Green? Did Tom Brady? Did Marc Bulger?Losman is hurting this team. He simply is not ready. How does he not light up the Falcon secondary in the condition they were in yesterday? Fellas, stop talking about him leading us to the Super Bowl. That is so far away. I will guarantee loses. Pop in the tape of yesterday's game. Oh yeah, his first road start was tremendous. Not ready...
        Last edited by IAG; 09-26-2005, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Ngxtreme13
          • Aug 2005

all u shut up if ur true bills fans u would understand that this year is not going to be great this as donahoe said this is a dry run for next year..just be patient

Comment

• ScottLawrence
            • Jan 2004

1...changing QBs like this will only raise more questions..Mularkey has made a decision to start a rookie and if he changes just a few games into the season, the players will doubt him

Mularkey made a decision? I believe Donahoe made the decision.

You don't think the players doubt Losman? He threw for 36 net passing yards for christ sakes, it can't hurt to put in Holcomb.

2...how will the defense respect the passing game if we can't pass? JP has played poorly but it's not like the O-line has given him protection, either
            Again your wrong, outside of 3-4 passing plays, JP had time to throw. Its also hard to throw when Atlanta was overloading Blitzes on most of the passing downs. Thats where JP has to make the adjustments.

I guess your fine with settling for a losing season this year, but im sick of losing. How come everyone else isn't?
            You're right, I am a coward! I haven't any courage at all. I even scare myself.

Comment

• ZEUS
              My bedroom is covered in posters of naked men.
              • Jul 2005

In reality this season is developement time for Losman and that's it. I hate to say it, but the fish are a big surprise and look pretty good and we don't have anything for the Patriots. I don't think we have anything for the displaced New Orleans Saints this week. It makes me laugh to hear talk about the playoffs or superbowl, get real. Losman needs to play every game, take his beatings, and learn the NFL. If he starts to develope, we can talk superbowl in about 3-4 years. This is where the rebuilding really starts, especially with the defense falling apart. Spikes will be greatly missed, I feel bad for him.

Comment

• Buffatexas
                • Aug 2002

I have not been impressed with Tom Clements play calling this year...he stripped the first 20 plays from the playbook (as per the announcers) against Tampa, and from what they said at the game yesterday, the announcers could not figure out why the Bills would not take advantage of the Falcons depleted secondary. Now I figure, that if I am Losman, I know that they are depleted and my OC is calling run run run with a shot here and there I would feel a bit slighted if I were Losman and hell bent to prove the OC that I can get it done but that is just my opinion

Comment

• buffalofan19
                  God's gift to the Zone
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Ngxtreme13
                  all u shut up if ur true bills fans u would understand that this year is not going to be great this as donahoe said this is a dry run for next year..just be patient
                  Actually, Donahoe said the exact opposite the day he announced the Bills were releasing Drew Bledsoe. He said that they fully felt that they were still contenders and weren't taking a step back at all. Right now, and I stress right now, he looks dead wrong. We'll see in a couple of weeks, but it doesn't look too good for that. Personally, I think the offensive line has alot more to do with it than Losman does, just like last year (oh, but I was just making excuses for Drew Bledsoe ). I'm not too sure that Holcomb will make that much of a difference as long as the line is playing as poorly as it has been.
                  Penguins at Sabres Highlight Video 10/10/05
                  Sabres at Lightning Highlight Video 10/13/05
                  Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 10/20/05
                  Rangers at Sabres Highlight Video 10/22/05
                  Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 10/29/05
                  Maple Leafs at Sabres Highlight Video 11/11/05
                  Devils at Sabres Highlight Video 11/15/05
                  Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 11/19/05
                  Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 11/23/05
                  Canadiens at Sabres Highlight Video 11/25/05

Comment

• DaBills
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by IAG

The case for beating a dead-horse.

Where were all the DB-supporters last year when I said Drew should be benched to send a message. He got the biggest pass in the NFL for some real **** play. Now you want to bench JP for play that isn't even close to Drew's worst last year. Yet Drew got the benefit of the doubt.

1) Out on time? So JP is either getting too much pressure or too much time. Which is it? I thought the line sucked, so how is he getting all this time? And if not, it's JP fault they are playing this way? He ain't Flutie so much that he's scrambling that much and compromising blocking schemes is he? So we should put DB back in there because at least the O-Line would know where he's at every sec. It's 3rd and long – do you know where your QB is at? Yes, about 9 steps back where we left him after his last sack.

2) 140 yards rushing. I'd say the running game has been opened. Arguably, it could be opened more. But any D will respect the passing game when they know our WRs will catch the catchable balls.

3) We need a QB that will play within themselves, not beyond.

4) True. Right now, they're doing 'almost nothing' to win.

5) Every game is a must win.

6) RJ and Drew get three years with arguably worse play (except Drew's first year here) and we bench JP so quick?
                    “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                      Roways rooking ahread!
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by DaBills
                      The case for beating a dead-horse.

Where were all the DB-supporters last year when I said Drew should be benched to send a message. He got the biggest pass in the NFL for some real **** play. Now you want to bench JP for play that isn't even close to Drew's worst last year. Yet Drew got the benefit of the doubt.

1) Out on time? So JP is either getting too much pressure or too much time. Which is it? I thought the line sucked, so how is he getting all this time? And if not, it's JP fault they are playing this way? He ain't Flutie so much that he's scrambling that much and compromising blocking schemes is he? So we should put DB back in there because at least the O-Line would know where he's at every sec. It's 3rd and long – do you know where your QB is at? Yes, about 9 steps back where we left him after his last sack.

2) 140 yards rushing. I'd say the running game has been opened. Arguably, it could be opened more. But any D will respect the passing game when they know our WRs will catch the catchable balls.

3) We need a QB that will play within themselves, not beyond.

4) True. Right now, they're doing 'almost nothing' to win.

5) Every game is a must win.

6) RJ and Drew get three years with arguably worse play (except Drew's first year here) and we bench JP so quick?
                      Holcomb will get more balls to the receivers & that opens up the run. JP right now looks inept, he cannot even throw to wide open people much less covered people. Swallow your pride TD/MM/RW and the whole crew. Find a backup for Kelly H and let him and JP talk all week long about film with wyche. I want football games won NOW, not in 3 years or 4 or whenever. We need a spark, not the Dirty Sanchez.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                        • Apr 2005

im sick of people saying the people who think holcomb should start are not true bills fans. All arguements for keeping Losman are valid but look...His reads are freakin horrible right now and when he does throw at an open guy its usually not very accurate. This team has potential to win NOW. And IMO JP is the only thing holding us back. Hypotheticaly, what if JP was a cornerback instead of QB, and was constantly getting burned and costing us games, would you then be in favor of keeping him in so he learns? I dont dislike JP and I understand it takes patience. I dont expect him to come out and be spectacular and know hes gonna mess up this year. My arguement is simply play for today. A winning team is what gets the fans in the stands...a winning team is what draws the free agents....and a winning team grows confidence and is able to win big games down the line. I just dont have the patience anymore. When is rebuilding ever gonna be done.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                          Maybe?
                          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by The_Philster
                          4...they haven't been doing nearly enough to win the last 2 games anyway..with Spikes gone, they still wouldn't...the team needs balance
                          5...you're guaranteeing losses with JP?
                          6..chances are, Holcomb may help...a little...but not enough to lead us to the playoffs and the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, our QB of the future learns next to nothing just watching

I agree with you.

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
                            • Jul 2002

you would think we had brett favre playing behind jp with all of this bench the kid for the vet hype.
                            Its all about the quest.

Comment

• BSXIII
                              Never trust a man wearing a sombrero
                              • Apr 2004

How many QB's do we need to see fail before we point the finger at where it belongs. Mr. Incompetent himself, Tom Donahoe. He's about to go 5 years without making the playoffs, and have another losing season. Unbelievable people are still blaming the QB. Salary cap prison was years ago, he is respnonsible for this crap we see each week.
                              I'm a long time lurker

Comment

Working...
                              X