PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Holcomb

IAG
09-26-2005, 07:47 PM
I believe the Bills need to pull Losman for Kelly Holcomb

1. If there is a change to the vet Holcomb, the team will feel more confident. They will no longer wonder about the QB position. On offense, the WR's will be charged up that their efforts will now get them the football. Secondly, the O-line will know the ball will be out on time. In other words, the offense will stay on schedule.

2. Defense will respect the passing game more and of course that will open up the running game.

3. We need a "point guard" at the QB position especially when Parrish comes back. Holcomb will distribute the ball and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers

4. With all the hits on defense, a change to Holcomb will bring some relief to them. They would not feel they had to do "everything" to win.

5. Look at the sked...Buffalo needs to win this week in San Antonio to simply get even. Then 3 division games are next. Miami at home is a must win and the Jets are just as knicked as the Bills. The Bills can honestly win 3 in a row, but only if J.P. grabs a seat.

6. All I hear is about J.P.'s development. Let's talk development: has anyone figured he could be aided by watching. He is rookie. QB's take time to develop. If the season goes south, then put him. However, the organization needs to try to win NOW and Holcomb is certainly the choice. They cannot wait. If Losman plays this weekend, the Bills will lose

jpdex12
09-26-2005, 07:54 PM

1. If there is a change to the vet Holcomb, the team will feel more confident. They will no longer wonder about the QB position. On offense, the WR's will be charged up that their efforts will now get them the football. Secondly, the O-line will know the ball will be out on time. In other words, the offense will stay on schedule.

2. Defense will respect the passing game more and of course that will open up the running game.

3. We need a "point guard" at the QB position especially when Parrish comes back. Holcomb will distribute the ball and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers

4. With all the hits on defense, a change to Holcomb will bring some relief to them. They would not feel they had to do "everything" to win.

5. Look at the sked...Buffalo needs to win this week in San Antonio to simply get even. Then 3 division games are next. Miami at home is a must win and the Jets are just as knicked as the Bills. The Bills can honestly win 3 in a row, but only if J.P. grabs a seat.

6. All I hear is about J.P.'s development. Let's talk development: has anyone figured he could be aided by watching. He is rookie. QB's take time to develop. If the season goes south, then put him. However, the organization needs to try to win NOW and Holcomb is certainly the choice. They cannot wait. If Losman plays this weekend, the Bills will lose
Would you give your kid up for adoption if he was young and didn't listen to directions or would you show patience and keep trying to teach him? We traded two first rounders for JP...they won't give up on him this easily! Glad that you're not a GM!

The_Philster
09-26-2005, 07:54 PM
1...changing QBs like this will only raise more questions..Mularkey has made a decision to start a rookie and if he changes just a few games into the season, the players will doubt him
2...how will the defense respect the passing game if we can't pass? JP has played poorly but it's not like the O-line has given him protection, either
4...they haven't been doing nearly enough to win the last 2 games anyway..with Spikes gone, they still wouldn't...the team needs balance
5...you're guaranteeing losses with JP? :wtf:
6..chances are, Holcomb may help...a little...but not enough to lead us to the playoffs and the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, our QB of the future learns next to nothing just watching

IAG
09-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Did Steve McNair learn by watching? Did Trent Green? Did Tom Brady? Did Marc Bulger?Losman is hurting this team. He simply is not ready. How does he not light up the Falcon secondary in the condition they were in yesterday? Fellas, stop talking about him leading us to the Super Bowl. That is so far away. I will guarantee loses. Pop in the tape of yesterday's game. Oh yeah, his first road start was tremendous. Not ready...

Ngxtreme13
09-26-2005, 09:12 PM
all u shut up if ur true bills fans u would understand that this year is not going to be great this as donahoe said this is a dry run for next year..just be patient

ScottLawrence
09-26-2005, 09:24 PM
1...changing QBs like this will only raise more questions..Mularkey has made a decision to start a rookie and if he changes just a few games into the season, the players will doubt him

Mularkey made a decision? I believe Donahoe made the decision.

You don't think the players doubt Losman? He threw for 36 net passing yards for christ sakes, it can't hurt to put in Holcomb.

2...how will the defense respect the passing game if we can't pass? JP has played poorly but it's not like the O-line has given him protection, either

Again your wrong, outside of 3-4 passing plays, JP had time to throw. Its also hard to throw when Atlanta was overloading Blitzes on most of the passing downs. Thats where JP has to make the adjustments.

I guess your fine with settling for a losing season this year, but im sick of losing. How come everyone else isn't?

ZEUS
09-26-2005, 09:28 PM
In reality this season is developement time for Losman and that's it. I hate to say it, but the fish are a big surprise and look pretty good and we don't have anything for the Patriots. I don't think we have anything for the displaced New Orleans Saints this week. It makes me laugh to hear talk about the playoffs or superbowl, get real. Losman needs to play every game, take his beatings, and learn the NFL. If he starts to develope, we can talk superbowl in about 3-4 years. This is where the rebuilding really starts, especially with the defense falling apart. Spikes will be greatly missed, I feel bad for him.

Buffatexas
09-26-2005, 09:39 PM
I have not been impressed with Tom Clements play calling this year...he stripped the first 20 plays from the playbook (as per the announcers) against Tampa, and from what they said at the game yesterday, the announcers could not figure out why the Bills would not take advantage of the Falcons depleted secondary. Now I figure, that if I am Losman, I know that they are depleted and my OC is calling run run run with a shot here and there I would feel a bit slighted if I were Losman and hell bent to prove the OC that I can get it done but that is just my opinion

buffalofan19
09-26-2005, 09:49 PM
all u shut up if ur true bills fans u would understand that this year is not going to be great this as donahoe said this is a dry run for next year..just be patient
Actually, Donahoe said the exact opposite the day he announced the Bills were releasing Drew Bledsoe. He said that they fully felt that they were still contenders and weren't taking a step back at all. Right now, and I stress right now, he looks dead wrong. We'll see in a couple of weeks, but it doesn't look too good for that. Personally, I think the offensive line has alot more to do with it than Losman does, just like last year (oh, but I was just making excuses for Drew Bledsoe :couch: ). I'm not too sure that Holcomb will make that much of a difference as long as the line is playing as poorly as it has been.

DaBills
09-26-2005, 09:52 PM

The case for beating a dead-horse.

Where were all the DB-supporters last year when I said Drew should be benched to send a message. He got the biggest pass in the NFL for some real **** play. Now you want to bench JP for play that isn't even close to Drew's worst last year. Yet Drew got the benefit of the doubt.

1) Out on time? So JP is either getting too much pressure or too much time. Which is it? I thought the line sucked, so how is he getting all this time? And if not, it's JP fault they are playing this way? He ain't Flutie so much that he's scrambling that much and compromising blocking schemes is he? So we should put DB back in there because at least the O-Line would know where he's at every sec. It's 3rd and long – do you know where your QB is at? Yes, about 9 steps back where we left him after his last sack.

2) 140 yards rushing. I'd say the running game has been opened. Arguably, it could be opened more. But any D will respect the passing game when they know our WRs will catch the catchable balls.

3) We need a QB that will play within themselves, not beyond.

4) True. Right now, they're doing 'almost nothing' to win.

5) Every game is a must win.

6) RJ and Drew get three years with arguably worse play (except Drew's first year here) and we bench JP so quick?

Mitchy moo
09-26-2005, 10:00 PM
The case for beating a dead-horse.

Where were all the DB-supporters last year when I said Drew should be benched to send a message. He got the biggest pass in the NFL for some real **** play. Now you want to bench JP for play that isn't even close to Drew's worst last year. Yet Drew got the benefit of the doubt.

1) Out on time? So JP is either getting too much pressure or too much time. Which is it? I thought the line sucked, so how is he getting all this time? And if not, it's JP fault they are playing this way? He ain't Flutie so much that he's scrambling that much and compromising blocking schemes is he? So we should put DB back in there because at least the O-Line would know where he's at every sec. It's 3rd and long – do you know where your QB is at? Yes, about 9 steps back where we left him after his last sack.

2) 140 yards rushing. I'd say the running game has been opened. Arguably, it could be opened more. But any D will respect the passing game when they know our WRs will catch the catchable balls.

3) We need a QB that will play within themselves, not beyond.

4) True. Right now, they're doing 'almost nothing' to win.

5) Every game is a must win.

6) RJ and Drew get three years with arguably worse play (except Drew's first year here) and we bench JP so quick?
Holcomb will get more balls to the receivers & that opens up the run. JP right now looks inept, he cannot even throw to wide open people much less covered people. Swallow your pride TD/MM/RW and the whole crew. Find a backup for Kelly H and let him and JP talk all week long about film with wyche. I want football games won NOW, not in 3 years or 4 or whenever. We need a spark, not the Dirty Sanchez.

FlyingDutchman
09-27-2005, 12:02 AM
im sick of people saying the people who think holcomb should start are not true bills fans. All arguements for keeping Losman are valid but look...His reads are freakin horrible right now and when he does throw at an open guy its usually not very accurate. This team has potential to win NOW. And IMO JP is the only thing holding us back. Hypotheticaly, what if JP was a cornerback instead of QB, and was constantly getting burned and costing us games, would you then be in favor of keeping him in so he learns? I dont dislike JP and I understand it takes patience. I dont expect him to come out and be spectacular and know hes gonna mess up this year. My arguement is simply play for today. A winning team is what gets the fans in the stands...a winning team is what draws the free agents....and a winning team grows confidence and is able to win big games down the line. I just dont have the patience anymore. When is rebuilding ever gonna be done.

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2005, 12:04 AM
4...they haven't been doing nearly enough to win the last 2 games anyway..with Spikes gone, they still wouldn't...the team needs balance
5...you're guaranteeing losses with JP? :wtf:
6..chances are, Holcomb may help...a little...but not enough to lead us to the playoffs and the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, our QB of the future learns next to nothing just watching
:faint:

I agree with you. :up:

JefftheBillsfan
09-27-2005, 12:07 AM
you would think we had brett favre playing behind jp with all of this bench the kid for the vet hype.

BSXIII
09-27-2005, 12:23 AM
How many QB's do we need to see fail before we point the finger at where it belongs. Mr. Incompetent himself, Tom Donahoe. He's about to go 5 years without making the playoffs, and have another losing season. Unbelievable people are still blaming the QB. Salary cap prison was years ago, he is respnonsible for this crap we see each week.

Lexwhat
09-27-2005, 01:00 AM
Let's make it very very simple for you guys who say that JP should stay as the starter:

Would we or would we not have won against Atlanta if we had a QB who could've connected on those few critical passes that JP missed? Yes or no? I'm talkin about 2-3 deep balls early in the game, plus that pass that was never made to Eric Moulds when he was WIDE OPEN and would've been in the end zone for a touchdown. Not saying that Kelly is perfect or that he's amazing, but no one in their right mind could say that JP passes better right now than Holcomb can right now. If you say JP should stay because he has better scrambling ability than Holcomb, that is partly true. But what's your point? JP had only 20 yards rushing anyways. JP's mobility is an asset, not a dramatic game-changing skill. Once JP learns how to pass, his scrambling will be a much greater weapon. Great passing, on the other hand, is obviously a game-changing skill. Holcomb has that ability right now.

If you tell me "well Kelly Holcomb might not have made those passes either," you are kidding yourself. Kelly's strength is pocket passing, and he would have completed AT LEAST one of those deep balls and most likely that Eric Moulds miscue. Also, Kelly would have been attacking their secondary much more than JP did. Moreover, Kelly has never had these weapons in Cleveland that he has here:
-Our O-Line is not worse than Cleveland's.
-We have a better RB and WRs here than he had to work with in Cleveland.
-Good STs that sets up good field position for our offense.

To those who say Holcomb is just a backup, well I don't agree either. If he was in Cleveland right now, he could very well be the starter there. But he chose to come here instead because he liked the organization and the security. So don't say he is simply a backup. Off the top of my head, Kelly Holcomb could be starting for:
1a. Cleveland Browns, as I mentioned above.
1. Baltimore Ravens
2. Washington Redskins
3. Chicago Bears
4. Detroit Lions
5. Maybe SF 49ers or Arizona Cardinals

In other words, just because hes currently 2nd on the depth chart doesn't mean hes not a capable starter...

Only a stupid fan would say that JP is a bust. We are simply stating that to win now, Holcomb seems to be the better option. If a QB cant make routine throws to open receivers, then he's simply not ready and IS HURTING THE TEAM. Everyone knows that JP is having a lot of trouble making rather easy throws. This IS NOT about decision making. If anything, I think JP has done fairly well mentally (better than rookies), except for a few dumb errors, but his mechanics are what obviously need a lot of work. That type of stuff needs to be worked on in practice. If young QBs need experience, it's usually to be mentally ready. I simply dont think that is JP's problem right now...

Now that he has seen some good regular season action, both bad and good, let him take a seat for a little while for the sake of the team.

The_Philster
09-27-2005, 05:00 AM
Did Steve McNair learn by watching? The Steve McNair model of bringing along a QB is the one I wanted us to follow...the leg injury last year screwed that up...and McNair played a lot his first 2 seasons before he took over full time in year 3
Fellas, stop talking about him leading us to the Super Bowl. :link: Where are people predicting we'll be going to the Super Bowl this year? I'll admit some of us are devoted enough that we'll predict a 19-0 record in preseason but we also make it known that those predictions are tongue-in-cheek...you're putting words in the mouths of others :down:

Luisito23
09-27-2005, 05:12 AM
:link: Where are people predicting we'll be going to the Super Bowl this year? I'll admit some of us are devoted enough that we'll predict a 19-0 record in preseason but we also make it known that those predictions are tongue-in-cheek...you're putting words in the mouths of others :down:

:bf1: :bf1: :bf1:
Like usual another great post T.P...
I hate it when someone puts words in my mouth....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

Typ0
09-27-2005, 05:41 AM
JP either needs to hit the field trusting himself and playing this week or he needs to get benched in the second QTR. We can't affort to put a QB in there who can't even play because he's skiddish in hopes he'll snap out of it. It's just as likely the kid will keep getting beat down and his career will be ruined. I don't care if he plays great but I want so see something that makes sense to me that he's capable of trusting in what he's doing enough that he can get something done. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Jan Reimers
09-27-2005, 05:46 AM
What's the case for a 31 year old career backup to come in and arrest the development of a young and talented - albeit struggling - potential star?

There is none, particularly when our defense is a quivering pile of goo that isn't going to win many games for us, either.

colin
09-27-2005, 07:45 AM
pulling a young QB who we started BEFORE HE IS READY is not going to arrest his developement. JP obviously is not ready, so he shouldn't be there. we have a guy who can do better than JP right now, so he needs to play. Pulling JP won't be giving up on him, and if he can't get back into the swing of things while competing for the starting job while getting top notch qb coaching then was he ever going to be a good QB?

the argument made by the keep in JP at all costs camp is:
JP needs to play to develop, he can't learn anything/enough while sitting
Pulling JP will break him
The chance of JP developing is worth losing winnable games now.

the third point is garbage, we need to win now.

the first point is partially true, some guys can start first year (Rothlessburger) some need a year to sit (Palmer) some need more than a year (Pennington, JP). JP will develop more palying, but only if he is ready to do so, he is NOT ready to do so.

the second point is the worst one. if benching this kid after the worst back to back pair of performances from a bills QB since todd collins breaks him, then he isn't strong enough to play in the NFL. the benching and subsequent fighting for to the starting job should light a fire under his ass. he never should have been gifted the starting job.

Jan Reimers
09-27-2005, 08:12 AM
JP has started all of 3 games, for chrissakes, let him play and get some experience. It's not like we didn't expect him to struggle.

Holcomb may be better in the short term, but we all knew that, too.

What we didn't know was that the defense would be part of the problem, not the solution. If our D were playing heroic football and we were losing entirely because of JP's inexperience, I could at least understand the argument for sitting him.

But, unexpectedly, the D sucks. We now have the luxury of having the time for JP to develop. With our D, we're going nowhere, anyway. Let's relax, watch JP progress, and think about how to improve the defense so that it's good again when JP is ready to roll.

jonah7777
09-27-2005, 09:31 AM
the bills will not start holcomb TD will not allow it and MM does nothing without the boss ok.

MM was hired because he can be kept on a short leash thats the only reason.

the qb is not the only problem with the bills.

a rookie head coach who makes rookie headcoach mistakes .

bills fans need to get a grip you will never going to the playoffs this year never.

mybills
09-27-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm not going to bother reading everyone's posts, but if this hasn't been said yet, it needs to be.
When JP was pulled out of the game, Kelly wasn't getting any help either. Then they put JP back in. Instead of ripping on JP, our distaste should be aimed at the OL.

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2005, 10:14 AM
JP has started all of 3 games, for chrissakes, let him play and get some experience. It's not like we didn't expect him to struggle.

What we didn't know was that the defense would be part of the problem, not the solution. If our D were playing heroic football and we were losing entirely because of JP's inexperience, I could at least understand the argument for sitting him.

But, unexpectedly, the D sucks. We now have the luxury of having the time for JP to develop. With our D, we're going nowhere, anyway. Let's relax, watch JP progress, and think about how to improve the defense so that it's good again when JP is ready to roll.
:up:

Exactly. The only thing I would add is improving the oline as well. But I agree with everything you said.

IAG
09-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Doesn't anyone have a problem in that Losman was simply given the job without a fight? What about earning it? I am sure he will be a fine QB, but he is brutal folks at this point in his career. This division is for the taking at this point. Imagine just the chance to host a playoff game. Why is that not possible? The ENTIRE division has major issues.

Also, why do Bills fans always whip the O-line? The O-line was knicked up and ran the ball great. Go back to 2001 to see an awful O-line. Remember the Fina, Brown, Conaty, Hulsey, Hicks group? DT Rod Coleman is quoted in saying J.P. held on to the ball too long. I think he might know what he is talking about.

Typ0
09-27-2005, 10:28 AM

I don't think you saw the point I was making really. I could care less if JP makes rookie mistakes and is not playing that well...but the fact that he has zero confidence and his head isn't in the game is what really concerns me. He needs to either have his head in the game or not be on the field...that's all there is to it. All we heard about preparation and how hard he worked...there is no reason for him to not trust himself out there. If he does not have that trust when he hits the field in the next game he's not going to gain it over the course of getting crushed. In fact, if he doesn't find some positives things are going to go downhill to the point he may not be able to play due to emotional trauma or he will get injured.

The bottom line for me is he shows up to play and takes a shot at doing what it is he thinks he can excel at...and he does those things on the moment like you have to. If he keeps running around three seconds behind everything because he's bogging himself down...then he does not belong on the field. This is not a bad football team we are just letting people cut their teeth on.

IAG
09-27-2005, 10:46 AM
I think we should change the name of the Buffalo Bills to the Buffalo Losmans because obviously this season is only about letting this dude play. I will see you in another 3 years when the Bills are in the playoff hunt. We are just like the Cards and Lions. Cincy will be leaving this group in a couple of months. Look up the teams that have not been to the playoffs this millennium. Really sad fellas.

The_Philster
09-27-2005, 06:17 PM
I think we should change the name of the Buffalo Bills to the Buffalo Losmans because obviously this season is only about letting this dude play. I will see you in another 3 years when the Bills are in the playoff hunt. We are just like the Cards and Lions. Cincy will be leaving this group in a couple of months. Look up the teams that have not been to the playoffs this millennium. Really sad fellas.Going by your attitude, the Colts would've benched Peyton Manning in his first year

im4bflo
09-27-2005, 06:46 PM
If it was all JP's fault, then I'd think about it, but it's not.
The first game, when the whole team played better, JP was doing well,
starting a QB controversy now would really send things reeling.
Holcomb knows he's 2nd string, I think keep him there, and keep letting our future learn. JPD

DaBills
09-27-2005, 06:49 PM
"To live in the NFL, you have to create fear. If you create no fear, you yourself will be scared."

Until you master your fear, fear will be your master.

Ok, now, Zen quotes aside.

The pass can set up the run, but conversely the run will set up passing opportunities. And JP needs success in the passing game. He won't get it if he's going deep all the time as the first choice.

Look at Denver last night. They set up with the run 2,3 times then hit KC's secondary on the rollout with Plummer when KC was expecting run. Plummer's no Brady but he sure made that play work. We can do that. Gambling deep isn’t the way because all it will do is erode this dude's confidence.

Let him run a simpler O, WM takes the brunt early, setting up the pass via screens and slants with the TE's involved more.

guy
09-27-2005, 09:01 PM
:fit: :fit: 3 games PEOPLE 3 games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holcomb is where he belongs.....on the bench!!!

ScottLawrence
09-27-2005, 09:10 PM

Experience isn't going to help this kid.

Hes inaccurate, his mechanics suck, and our team has no confidence in him to do anything.

Hes a bust already, IMO, I don't know whats going through the kids mind, but hes skipping balls to players feet, hes overstriding on his passes, and for crying out loud he threw for 36 yards against a depleted Atlanta secondary, I realize hes young, but 36 yards? give me a break.

Rewatch the game, hes having problems with fundementals for crying out loud, he can't even hit a wide open reciever.

The kid shouldn't be on the field.PERIOD.

Put Holcomb in, and we might have a chance to salvage the season.

What have you seen outside of a quarter from Losman, that makes you think this kid will ever be able to "roll"?

buffalofan19
09-27-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm not going to bother reading everyone's posts, but if this hasn't been said yet, it needs to be.
When JP was pulled out of the game, Kelly wasn't getting any help either. Then they put JP back in. Instead of ripping on JP, our distaste should be aimed at the OL.
I totally agree.

But it's funny how it works. Last year, the Bills had the same problem, and the problem was Bledsoe. This year, we are seeing the same thing, but it's the o-line's fault.

I am of the opinion that last year's o-line was as bad as this year and that we are seeing nothing different. When the schedule gets weaker, we will start seeing victories. However, certain people need to be consistent.

Bert102176
09-27-2005, 11:22 PM
NO JP needs to go in every game no matter how hard he gets hit or knocked around he needs to learn now for future seasons what it's gonna take to be an NFL starting QB

Demon
09-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Only thing that really worries me is Week 4. I really pray that Losman plays well vs New Orleans and there will be no questions asked, but, if he stuggles again, then it will be a pretty sure thing that if he plays against Miami, he will stuggle, and if that's the case, things will get ugly quick.

Having a bad team and stuggling are tuff to swallow, but, getting embarressed by Miami, AT HOME, on Thurman Thomas tribute day, is not acceptable.

There is nothing worse in life then getting spanked by Miami, i just hope if Losman does have a breakout game, it's against Miami. The rest of the season can be a "learning" expierence, but he better play like a man in Week 4.

slakjaw157
09-28-2005, 01:24 AM
I said this a few months ago and got slammed, but after watching Sunday's game I'll say it again. JP reminds me of Rob Johnson. I know it is still early, but it's just my opinion. I hope the kid turns it around, I really do.

The_Philster
09-28-2005, 03:20 AM
Experience isn't going to help this kid.Hes inaccurate, his mechanics suck, and our team has no confidence in him to do anything.Hes a bust already, IMO, I don't know whats going through the kids mind, but hes skipping balls to players feet, hes overstriding on his passes, and for crying out loud he threw for 36 yards against a depleted Atlanta secondary, I realize hes young, but 36 yards? give me a break.Rewatch the game, hes having problems with fundementals for crying out loud, he can't even hit a wide open reciever.The kid shouldn't be on the field.PERIOD.Put Holcomb in, and we might have a chance to salvage the season.What have you seen outside of a quarter from Losman, that makes you think this kid will ever be able to "roll"?Thankfully you're not an NFL Coach...or else no one would be playing QB in the NFL

Tinboy
09-28-2005, 03:52 AM
Let's face it we don't have a playoff teams this year, no matter how much you people want it. Stick with JP, let him learn by playing and next year we will be in the playoff. Holcomb was bench earlier in his career and look what it did to him.

Novacane
09-28-2005, 08:48 AM
I think we should change the name of the Buffalo Bills to the Buffalo Losmans because obviously this season is only about letting this dude play. I will see you in another 3 years when the Bills are in the playoff hunt. .

\

Good! See ya!

Novacane
09-28-2005, 08:51 AM

Hes a bust already, IMO

:rofl:

jonah7777
09-28-2005, 09:09 AM
and holcomb is going to the playoffs --lmao

put the beer down your all drinking far to much.

no playoffs for the bills for many years from now get over it lol. many like 2011. lol

IAG
09-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Why is everyone so worried about his psyche? If he cannot take being benched for a certain amount of time, how will he cope with a New England Blitz or Jason Taylor coming off the edge? Besides, I am REALLY sure his confidence is sky high right now. Bottom Line- He will be 1-3 as a starter come Sunday afternoon with 3 major games in the division on the horizon. The season is on the line.

TheBrownBear
09-28-2005, 12:17 PM
I think we should change the name of the Buffalo Bills to the Buffalo Losmans because obviously this season is only about letting this dude play. I will see you in another 3 years when the Bills are in the playoff hunt. We are just like the Cards and Lions. Cincy will be leaving this group in a couple of months. Look up the teams that have not been to the playoffs this millennium. Really sad fellas.
Well, the Lions are probably ahead of us at this point because they've already invested a few seasons in Harrington's development. I think we are probably better off with Holcomb as the starter but, let's face it, he's probably not going to win us any superbowls (unless he turns out to be Kurt Warner). At this point I think you stick with the younger guy who you've invested in, regardless of how bad things get. Give Losman this season to show some signs of development. If he looks as bad as does now at the end of the season, then look to draft a qb or bring one in through free agency, and then let them compete with Losman for the starting job next season. If he shows improvement, then we'll be on the right track and we can keep Holcomb as a backup next season. But the only way we'll know if Losman is able to play in this league is to get him on the field and watch what he does. I'm a self-proclaimed "Losman doubter/(hater)", but even I realize that 3 games is nowhere near enough of an audition for a rookie qb. The guy should get a minimum of one full season to prove himself.

frank74
09-28-2005, 12:36 PM
I have not been impressed with Tom Clements play calling this year...he stripped the first 20 plays from the playbook (as per the announcers) against Tampa, and from what they said at the game yesterday, the announcers could not figure out why the Bills would not take advantage of the Falcons depleted secondary. Now I figure, that if I am Losman, I know that they are depleted and my OC is calling run run run with a shot here and there I would feel a bit slighted if I were Losman and hell bent to prove the OC that I can get it done but that is just my opinion
i agree that the play calling this season has been sub-par. where is the smash-mouth running game? And, whatever happened to slant patterns, short out patterns, screen passes, etc. the bills should watch the game film from monday night. denver called great plays and executed them nearly to perfection. i am not impressed with clements at all.....another donahoe guy.

The_Philster
09-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Why is everyone so worried about his psyche? If he cannot take being benched for a certain amount of time, how will he cope with a New England Blitz or Jason Taylor coming off the edge? Besides, I am REALLY sure his confidence is sky high right now. Bottom Line- He will be 1-3 as a starter come Sunday afternoon with 3 major games in the division on the horizon. The season is on the line.If Holcomb were good enough to lead us to the playoffs with all the holes we have, why isn't he starting somewhere else? He signed on here knowing he'd be a backup

finsrclowns
09-28-2005, 06:14 PM
If Holcomb were good enough to lead us to the playoffs with all the holes we have, why isn't he starting somewhere else? He signed on here knowing he'd be a backup

That does bother me some about Holcomb and I agree it's kinda strange. But .... then again the only realistic place he could have gotten a chance to start was where he was in Cleveland and maybe he was just sick of the horrible teams he played on there. Or he may have assumed the Browns would draft a QB, which indeed seemed likely.

Or maybe he watched film of JP at Tulane and figured it was just a matter of time before he was given a chance here.:jk:

THATHURMANATOR
09-28-2005, 06:16 PM
I don't believe there is any case for taking out JP. That is unless that you think he is a bust after 3 NFL starts and you are planning on cutting him after the year.

finsrclowns
09-28-2005, 06:24 PM
I don't believe there is any case for taking out JP. That is unless that you think he is a bust after 3 NFL starts and you are planning on cutting him after the year.

Bust? No. Not ready? Quite possibly and my rope could snap come halftime Sunday. Is it ok with you to bag the season just to get JP all the snaps? Why is sitting him for a few games until it's clear we're out of it such a big deal? If we win with KH that's good. If we lose with KH we put the kid back in. Why is that wrong? :idea:

THATHURMANATOR
09-28-2005, 06:46 PM
That doesn't make any sense. If you sit JP he will be making the same mistakes when you put him back in after a couple games then this cycle of complaining starts all over again. If we were going to do something like this we should have kept Drew(who is better than Holcomb IMO) as the starter for at least one more year, and that is something that most didn't want to happen.

IAG
09-28-2005, 08:08 PM
The point of Holcomb not being able to get a starting job as evidence he is not good enough is not true. Going into this offseason there were a couple of starting QB jobs available. Most teams had their established starting QB going into the offseason. I hope I am VERY wrong, but I got a feeling that between the Saints flying sky high because they are "at home" and how lowly the Bills are playing, J.P. and the Bills worst performance could be Sunday. Playing him now does not benefit him as much as you guys think. We will see.

THATHURMANATOR
09-28-2005, 08:26 PM

Hes inaccurate, his mechanics suck, and our team has no confidence in him to do anything.

Hes a bust already, IMO, I don't know whats going through the kids mind, but hes skipping balls to players feet, hes overstriding on his passes, and for crying out loud he threw for 36 yards against a depleted Atlanta secondary, I realize hes young, but 36 yards? give me a break.

Rewatch the game, hes having problems with fundementals for crying out loud, he can't even hit a wide open reciever.

The kid shouldn't be on the field.PERIOD.

Put Holcomb in, and we might have a chance to salvage the season.

What have you seen outside of a quarter from Losman, that makes you think this kid will ever be able to "roll"?

Many Young QBs have mechanics problems due to nervousness and the fact that they are overwhelmed by the speed of the game.

slakjaw157
09-29-2005, 11:10 PM

Im tired of hearing about next year. Next year never comes with the Bills organization.

Mitchy moo
09-29-2005, 11:14 PM
Im tired of hearing about next year. Next year never comes with the Bills organization. it does, the problem is we just get excuses