• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bulldog
    Top Dog
    • Jan 2003

Spikes to stay in Cincy!!

While listening to 107.7 WNSA this morning on my way to work, they were talking to a reporter who covers the Bengals for the paper in Cincy and he stated that the Bengals plan to tag Takeo Spikes with the transition tag. This means that Cincy could match any other teams offer and still retain his services.

According to the Begals owner, he said he is more than willing to allow another team to negotiate Spikes contract for him. He apparently pulled the same deal with Cory Dillon. Don't think we will see Spikes in a Bills uniform any time soon
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

I can see Brown spending money on Dillion...how many others have left the Bengals because Brown let other teams negotiate the contract for him?? That is a convienent way out...if the price is right as set by somebody else just trip the switch and sign him.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Comment

• Voltron
        • Jul 2002

I was really excited about this too

That Brown is an idiot!!!
        Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything.
        - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
        -Thomas Jefferson

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
        - Mark Twain

Comment

• clumping platelets

That's right........he's an idiot! He should let us have him :)

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
            • Jul 2002

We can just get colvin then.

Comment

• Voltron
              • Jul 2002

Colvin just went in for surgery recently. I know that means his price MAY be down but do we want to gamble on that when we wouldn't even gamble on cowert last year?
              - Frank Dane

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
              -Thomas Jefferson

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Voltron
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                That's right........he's an idiot! He should let us have him :)

Maybe he is not stupid cause of that

Could be because he makes his team worse the tighter the hold he puts on it

Riddle me this clumpman?

What is the difference between the transition tag and the franchise tag?

thanks!
                - Frank Dane

-Thomas Jefferson

- Mark Twain

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

Colvin is a pass rusher. Cowart was not. Go give Colvin the $$

Comment

• Bulldog
                    Top Dog
                    • Jan 2003

I think that the only difference is that the franchise tag gurantees that the player will be paid the average of the top five paid players at his position. The transition tag just allows the team to match any offers with no specified salary range.
                    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.

Comment

• Kelly The Dog
                      • Jul 2002

I think that the franchise tag is average of the top five at the position and the transition tag is average of the top ten, unless someone signs player to offer sheet, and then they have to match it. But get compensation if they don't.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                        Dances With Buffaloes
                        • Sep 2002

The transition tag, I think, just means the team gets the chance to match any offer; it doesn't guarantee anything in terms of financial compensation. The big problem for the Bengals is that they really don't have a lot of money to spend in FA (I think their cap figure is a very poor, for their performance, 8mil under for next year), and they have so many holes the idea that they will pay Spikes big money is thin. This sounds like a lot of hot air to me.
                        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

and if it (transitional tag) mean that the tag means Spikes is guaranteed the avg of the top ten LB salary then the Bengals will have given him a hefty raise (around 5 to 6 mil).
                          My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• clumping platelets

Ingtar is partially correct. Transition tag gives a 1 yr tender of the top 10 salaries and it counts vs cap. Team only get "right of refusal" or more commonly right to match offer sheet. No compensation to team if they fail to match offer. Transition tags are not renewable like Franchise tags

2 types of Franchise tags: exclusive and non-exclusive

1) Exclusive: Franchised player gets 1 yr tender of top 5 salaries but cannot negotiate with other teams.

2) Non-exclusive: Franchised player gets 1 yr tender as above but can negotiate with other teams. Compensation is 2 #1 picks in consecutive years AND they must be the new teams original #1's not an acquired pick.

Much more to the Franchise tag, but this answers the above question

Comment

• Winfield_26
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Any official word fom Bungals camp yet to confirm this news?
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X