X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Another lucky break for Pats

Dunno if this was posted already, but I haven't seen this in a while...Why am I not surprised the mistake went in NE's favor:

Tom Brady, among the league's best in late-game drives, led the Patriots down field for the winning score against the Steelers in 1:21 on Sunday.

But could he have done it in 29 seconds?

The NFL confirmed Monday that the game clock was improperly set early in the fourth quarter, adding 52 seconds to the game.

The error occurred at the beginning of the fourth quarter. With 14:51 remaining, Steelers receiver Cedric Wilson ran a reverse and was held to no gain; the play ran the clock down to 13:59...

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Monday that an error was made by the clock operator and officiating crew in the Steelers-Patriots game that resuletd in 52 seconds being added to the game clock.

Maybe it would not have changed the outcome of the game, the teams could have played the clock differently, who knows? What's done is done though.
  • JefftheBillsfan
    • Jul 2002

Re: Another lucky break for Pats

that is terrible
    Its all about the quest.

Comment

• Slyster
      • Sep 2005

Reminds me somewhat of a game a year or 2 ago ( or 3 or 4 ) for the Pats. Last drive of the game and the Pats had the ball. Every other play it seemed the head ref would stop the game and tell the clock guy to add from 3 to 5 seconds each time ( i think the drive started with 50 or so seconds ). It was sickening to watch. Ofcourse the Pats went on to win that game.

Completed passes , incomplete passes.. it didnt matter.

What a load of BS then and now.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Do NFL officials control the clock?

Not surprising that NE gets a "break" like this, but it's hard to imagine that it was intentional to help them

Comment

• Ebenezer
          Give me a minute...
          • Jul 2002

what would changing the game clock have to do with anything? the official time is kept by one of the officials on the field. somehow I doubt they added 52 to the scoreboard clock without announcing it to the stadium and I doubt they added 52 seconds to the official clock without telling the coaches...and that early in the 4th??? no effect.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Read the article Eb.....

Besides, Pittsburgh shouldn't have been the given the PI call shortly before they tied it. That was not PI on the Pats DB.....terrible call.

Comment

• Stewie
              Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
              • Aug 2002

Can't really say it was the NFL's fault, as the guy who did it was undoubtedly a steelers fan...
              Originally posted by Topdog
              Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
              Originally posted by mercyrule
              I love Weiner.
              Originally posted by mercyrule
              also cheese

Comment

• Ebenezer
                Give me a minute...
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                Read the article Eb.....

Besides, Pittsburgh shouldn't have been the given the PI call shortly before they tied it. That was not PI on the Pats DB.....terrible call.
                ok...I'll retract that but add this....but i thought the official time is kept on the field...if the official time is kept on the field then how did it get screwed up??

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• JD
                  Sabres Zone
                  • Sep 2003

fixed? hmmm....
                  “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

Working...
                  X