PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, enough with the QB talk.

BSXIII
09-26-2005, 11:18 PM
First off, Drew Bledsoe is a very good NFL QB. He has a resume to prove it. 8th in all time passing yards. Won his last game in NE (2001 AFC Championship at Pitts), gave this team instant credibility when he came here (3-13 to 8-8), and looks like the Drew of old in Dallas. That said the past is gone.

If a top tier NFL QB could not succeeed in this offense, we can not expect a rookie to. Everyone knew the weakness of this team was the OL, and it may be worse this year than last. Of course our incompetent GM wanted us to believe differently. The "mobile QB" solution is a band-aid on a shot-gun wound... Nothing more. Show me one team in the playoffs last year with and O-line nearly as bad as ours. You can't.

The truth is if you look around the league at the contenders, they have solid offensive lines, and an ability to get to the QB. Why do top pass rushers get paid so much money??? It's because offenses need time to run plays. Look at Indy the past 2 years. New England got to Manning and he was hopeless. Ever since Donahoe has been GM, we've made mediocre defenses look like the 85 bears. The QB's have no chance.

How many QB's have come through this system and failed recenlty? Maybe it's time we stop blaming them. The bottom line is no matter how mobile a QB is, without pass blocking he will be ineffective. There is no evidence to dispute this. Pass blocking is crucial to success in the NFL, there are no two ways about it.

Every year Donahoe tries to hype up postion players and talk about how bright the future is, yet we get owned in the trenches year after year. Let's stop blaming the QB. Football is a team game, and if you're looking for Heroes stick to Star Wars! A QB will only be as good as his offense allows him to be. They do not win or lose games on their own, despite the consesus of monday morning QB's. They are just one position on the team.

The King
09-27-2005, 12:24 PM
How did this post get ignored... Great points!

Iehoshua
09-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Very good? Top tier?
:dizzy:

Oy vey...

X-Era
10-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Bledsoe had this team rolling last year....it's a shame he's not here this year to finish what the team had started last year.BY started, are you refering to the "starters" for Pitts D that Drew played so well against? Thanks Ill pass, but Drew couldnt!

Stewie
10-18-2005, 09:58 PM
First off, Drew Bledsoe is a very good NFL QB. He has a resume to prove it.

Drew Bledsoe's resume "proves" that he's a 78 rated qb. The average nfl qb rated 82.8 last year.

78 is considered very good? By the CFL, maybe...

He has yards because he's been durable(played a lot of games), and he had to sling the ball 40+ times in all those games his teams fell way behind.

I completely agree that whoever plays QB for Buffalo needs more help from the GM and the system.

But to call Drew Bledsoe a "very good" NFL QB is crazy.

BSXIII
10-18-2005, 10:27 PM
Big deal, John Elway had a career QB rating of 79, even while averaging around 90 his last 5 seasons. I suppose he was a less than average QB as well. There is far more to look at when judging a QB than just his QB rating. If he hangs on for a few more seasons, he could finish with more than 50,000 yards and 300 TDs. Something only 2 or 3 QB's have ever done.

As for the all important QB rating, his is 100.4 for the season.

Philagape
10-18-2005, 11:34 PM
How many times must the indisputable truth be told that it was the D, ST and Willis that had this team "rolling" last year, and it was against crappy teams? How many times????

As far as Drew's resume, about a third of it is "very good." A third.

TacklingDummy
10-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Actually the o-line hasn't played that bad since Holcomb took over. Makes ya wonder if the reason they looked so bad the 1st 4 games was because of the person playing behind center.

kgun12
10-19-2005, 02:27 AM
First off, Drew Bledsoe is a very good NFL QB. He has a resume to prove it. 8th in all time passing yards. Won his last game in NE (2001 AFC Championship at Pitts), gave this team instant credibility when he came here (3-13 to 8-8), and looks like the Drew of old in Dallas. That said the past is gone.
If a top tier NFL QB could not succeeed in this offense, we can not expect a rookie to. Everyone knew the weakness of this team was the OL, and it may be worse this year than last. Of course our incompetent GM wanted us to believe differently. The "mobile QB" solution is a band-aid on a shot-gun wound... Nothing more. Show me one team in the playoffs last year with and O-line nearly as bad as ours. You can't.
The truth is if you look around the league at the contenders, they have solid offensive lines, and an ability to get to the QB. Why do top pass rushers get paid so much money??? It's because offenses need time to run plays. Look at Indy the past 2 years. New England got to Manning and he was hopeless. Ever since Donahoe has been GM, we've made mediocre defenses look like the 85 bears. The QB's have no chance.
How many QB's have come through this system and failed recenlty? Maybe it's time we stop blaming them. The bottom line is no matter how mobile a QB is, without pass blocking he will be ineffective. There is no evidence to dispute this. Pass blocking is crucial to success in the NFL, there are no two ways about it.
Every year Donahoe tries to hype up postion players and talk about how bright the future is, yet we get owned in the trenches year after year. Let's stop blaming the QB. Football is a team game, and if you're looking for Heroes stick to Star Wars! A QB will only be as good as his offense allows him to be. They do not win or lose games on their own, despite the consesus of monday morning QB's. They are just one position on the team.

I will agree with most of what you say, except for the line "Ever since Donahoe has been GM, we've made mediocre defenses look like the 85 bears. The QB's have no chance."

This problem (for the younger posters) goes back alot further than Donahoe, like right after our Super Bowl run. Our line has been the worst part of this team for a long time. Just ask Todd Collins. For some reason for the past 10 years (except for Williams) the Bills brass bilieves they can wait til the 3rd round or later to draft linemen or worse wait til free agency is almost over and pick up the leftovers, put together an offensive line in front of young QB's and expect good things to happen. I just don't get it!

kgun12
10-19-2005, 03:11 AM
Actually the o-line hasn't played that bad since Holcomb took over. Makes ya wonder if the reason they looked so bad the 1st 4 games was because of the person playing behind center.
Or maybe if the Bills would have used the McGahee 30 carry game plan with JP, he still might be starting. Holcomb is not the long term answer, he has a week arm and doesn't make good decisions. It's a good thing that our D has come to play the last 2 games, cause if they didn't Kelly's 2 interceptions would have made us 2-4 instead of 3-3. We will have a tough game against Oakland, but I think with 2 weeks for N.E. to get ready for us, and looking at film, Holcomb will be exposed for what he is, and that's average at best.
Look back at the Houston game, here is the play by play of the 4 drives that ended in field goals:
1-10-HOU16 (11:29) J.Losman pass to W.McGahee to HST 8 for 8 yards (D.Robinson, R.Smith). Screen left, caught at HST 20. W.McGahee injured on play, walks off.
PENALTY on BUF-M.Gandy, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at HST 16 - No Play.
1-20-HOU26 (11:02) S.Williams right guard to HST 23 for 3 yards (J.Babin, G.Walker).
2-17-HOU23 (10:23) J.Losman pass to M.Campbell to HST 16 for 7 yards (G.Walker). Dump pass right, caught at HST 27.
3-10-HOU16 (9:33) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass incomplete to S.Aiken. Overthrown, receiver at HST 3, left side.
4-10-HOU16 (9:28) R.Lindell 35 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-M.Schneck, Holder-B.Moorman.
1-7-HOU7 (3:33) J.Losman pass incomplete to J.Reed. Overthrown, receiver in rear right corner of end zone.
2-7-HOU7 (3:27) J.Losman left end pushed ob at HST 6 for 1 yard (A.Peek).
3-6-HOU6 (2:58) (Shotgun) J.Losman right end pushed ob at HST 3 for 3 yards (G.Walker).
PENALTY on HST-A.Peek, Defensive Offside, 3 yards, enforced at HST 6 - No Play.
3-3-HOU3 (2:31) W.McGahee left guard to HST 3 for no gain (T.Johnson).
4-3-HOU3 (1:48) R.Lindell 21 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-M.Schneck, Holder-B.Moorman.
1-10-HOU27 (15:00) J.Losman pass incomplete to E.Moulds. Overthrown, receiver in back of end zone, left side.
2-10-HOU27 (14:54) W.McGahee up the middle to HST 23 for 4 yards (S.Payne). 3-6-HOU23 (14:09) (Shotgun) J.Losman pass incomplete to J.Reed. Thrown wide of receiver at HST 17, right side.
4-6-HOU23 (14:02) R.Lindell 42 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-M.Schneck, Holder-B.Moorman.
1-6-HOU6 (8:42) W.McGahee up the middle to HST 4 for 2 yards (S.Payne, R.Smith).
2-4-HOU4 (8:02) W.McGahee up the middle to HST 2 for 2 yards (S.Payne).
3-2-HOU2 (7:18) J.Losman pass incomplete. Thrown away, pressure on QB: C.Brown. PENALTY on BUF-J.Losman, Intentional Grounding, 11 yards, enforced at HST 2.
4-13-HOU13 (7:15) R.Lindell 31 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-M.Schneck, Holder-B.Moorman
I put the runs inside the 20 in bold print except for the last pass of the last field goal. Can you tell me why we were trying to pass the ball so much with for all intent and purpose a rookie QB with one of the best RB in the game not to mention inside the 5?
Here are McGahee's attemps for the 6 games:
22, 13, 27, 16, 31, 29+ W, L, L, L, W, W. Exept for the Atlanta game, there is NO excuse for Willis to have only 13 and 16 attemps in a game with a rookie QB NONE!

Let's also not forget how bad the line played in some of those games, hell I think they show 3 or 4 plays in the Saints game were as Losman was getting the ball in shotgun he had a defender in his face.

I'm not saying Losman did a good job, but it's hard enough to learn how to play in the NFL when you have a good line and are using your running game, but when there not there a young QB is in real trouble. I think the coaching staff and the fans expected to much out of JP. As far as the coaches go they didn't put him in a good position and as far as the fans go they aren't very realistic.

My question to all that beat up JP is, do you remember E. Mannings season last year and how BAD he was? What if they would have pulled him after a couple of games, do you think he would be as good as he is this year if it weren't for his struggles last year?

And where does this put JP's maturation process at? You don't learn from the sideline!

Yasgur's Farm
10-19-2005, 04:14 AM
It's just a shame Clements fumbled that kick, and Lindell missed that FG....otherwise Drew may still be here and our future would not look as bleak as it now does.How about the Drewler Bedsore handing off to the Steelers defender for the winning TD? Why do you refuse to bring that up?

justasportsfan
10-19-2005, 06:28 AM
Seriously, enough with the QB talk.

Nice qb thread :snicker:

mysticsoto
10-19-2005, 07:56 AM
I will agree with most of what you say, except for the line "Ever since Donahoe has been GM, we've made mediocre defenses look like the 85 bears. The QB's have no chance."

This problem (for the younger posters) goes back alot further than Donahoe, like right after our Super Bowl run. Our line has been the worst part of this team for a long time. Just ask Todd Collins. For some reason for the past 10 years (except for Williams) the Bills brass bilieves they can wait til the 3rd round or later to draft linemen or worse wait til free agency is almost over and pick up the leftovers, put together an offensive line in front of young QB's and expect good things to happen. I just don't get it!

You don't always need to draft linemen high to get a good one. I just think that in the past, we didn't have good judgers for picking good linemen. Now that we have McNally, I hope it improves. It looks like he made a good pick with Preston (even though I had never heard of him before the draft and neither had many analysts - if I recall, ESPN didn't even have any film on him to show when he was drafted). But you can pick good linemen later also. Parcells and Jones took Rob Pettiti in the 6th round this past draft and he is their starting RT. I had thought that Dylan McFarland had improved alot, but apparently the Bills FO doesn't agree or he'd be on the team. Jason Peters was also a great pickup and he was undrafted two years ago.

I'm not defending that the Bills haven't focused on the Oline for a good 10 years or so, as you say. On the contrary...I agree. All I'm saying is that you don't have to draft in the early rds if you do your homework well. With McNally, I expect that lower drafting of Olinemen to pick up and for him to find stud gems that others haven't even looked at or paid much attentino to. He seems to be a good judge of Oline skill.

justasportsfan
10-19-2005, 08:25 AM
mystic , check your pm

mysticsoto
10-19-2005, 09:19 AM
mystic , check your pm

I have none. Did you send me one? I responded to that one. If you sent me more, I haven't gotten them...

Stewie
10-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Big deal, John Elway had a career QB rating of 79, even while averaging around 90 his last 5 seasons. I suppose he was a less than average QB as well. There is far more to look at when judging a QB than just his QB rating. If he hangs on for a few more seasons, he could finish with more than 50,000 yards and 300 TDs. Something only 2 or 3 QB's have ever done.
As for the all important QB rating, his is 100.4 for the season.

Thank you for proving my point.

John Elway had many great, some average, and his share of bad seasons. The fact that he averaged around 90 his last five seasons, and finished with a 79 rating, goes to show you how badly he played before that. And lets not foget, the man never won anything without Terell Davis.

Drew Bledsoe has NEVER, EVER had an entire year with a qb rating above 87.7. Never. Not once.

Again, he has never had a full season with a rating more than 5 points higher than last years average.

This is very good? Please.

Bledsoefan4life
10-19-2005, 02:13 PM

I can't wait to see what happens after Drew leads the cowboys to another world title this season. It's more rewarding watching him with a real offensive line, tight end, coach, and receiver.

Sooner or later Donahoe will have to pay the piper, how this guy still has a job after cutting an all world stud franchise QB like Bledsoe is beyond my comprehension.

kgun12
10-19-2005, 02:16 PM
You don't always need to draft linemen high to get a good one. I just think that in the past, we didn't have good judgers for picking good linemen. Now that we have McNally, I hope it improves. It looks like he made a good pick with Preston (even though I had never heard of him before the draft and neither had many analysts - if I recall, ESPN didn't even have any film on him to show when he was drafted). But you can pick good linemen later also. Parcells and Jones took Rob Pettiti in the 6th round this past draft and he is their starting RT. I had thought that Dylan McFarland had improved alot, but apparently the Bills FO doesn't agree or he'd be on the team. Jason Peters was also a great pickup and he was undrafted two years ago.

I'm not defending that the Bills haven't focused on the Oline for a good 10 years or so, as you say. On the contrary...I agree. All I'm saying is that you don't have to draft in the early rds if you do your homework well. With McNally, I expect that lower drafting of Olinemen to pick up and for him to find stud gems that others haven't even looked at or paid much attentino to. He seems to be a good judge of Oline skill.

Yes you can get gems later in the draft and that does happen, when you need to fill one spot on your line that can be done as long as you have solid linemen around that player until he is up to par. In the Bills case though they have tried to do this with the entire line!

In the old days (prior to FA) you could draft a guy like House Ballard in the 12th round and develop him, now he must start almost right out of college!

Philagape
10-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Somewhere there is a Drew Bledsoe bathhouse, and they must have just gotten internet access there :limp:

Bledsoefan4life
10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
its really too bad we didn't hang on to Drew, we would be 6-0 right now if he were still here. Bravo Donahoe! I hope you win GM of the year you tool!

footballhottie
10-19-2005, 02:38 PM
I can't wait to see what happens after Drew leads the cowboys to another world title this season. It's more rewarding watching him with a real offensive line, tight end, coach, and receiver.

Sooner or later Donahoe will have to pay the piper, how this guy still has a job after cutting an all world stud franchise QB like Bledsoe is beyond my comprehension. I think we found our old loser QB...so how are things Drew???? Make any little kids cry lately??

Captain Obvious
10-19-2005, 03:06 PM
I think we found our old loser QB...so how are things Drew???? Make any little kids cry lately??

Huh? Drew made little kids cry when he was in Buffalo?

Bledsoefan4life
10-19-2005, 03:08 PM
Huh? Drew made little kids cry when he was in Buffalo?

He made me excited, I actually looked forward to watching us play even though we still sucked for the most part. He willed us to victory and kept this team afloat.

footballhottie
10-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Huh? Drew made little kids cry when he was in Buffalo? Yup he promised to flip to the coin at EA high schools homecoming game and a ton of little kids came with jerseys for him to sign and he didn't show up. Tons of little kids wouldn't stop crying so their parents had to take them home...:teary:the story still brings a tear to my eye.

footballhottie
10-19-2005, 03:13 PM
He made me excited, SEE! i knew yall jacked off to him!

Bledsoefan4life
10-19-2005, 03:18 PM
SEE! i knew yall jacked off to him!

:wtf: I don't understand, why are you personally attacking me.

All this acrimony and frustration over bledhero being released is starting to show, and after the bills get killed in oakland and new england I imagine it will only intensfy.

Drew Bledsoe is not the enemy people....Donahoe and his malleable puppets are the ones you should target, not me or other faithful Bledsoe fans!!

Philagape
10-19-2005, 03:22 PM
its really too bad we didn't hang on to Drew, we would be 6-0 right now if he were still here. Bravo Donahoe! I hope you win GM of the year you tool!

He willed us to victory and kept this team afloat

This MUST be a parody, because no one who is able to type on a keyboard would post things so stupid.

kgun12
10-20-2005, 01:07 PM
This MUST be a parody, because no one who is able to type on a keyboard would post things so stupid.

:lmao:

Mr. Cynical
10-20-2005, 02:00 PM
SEE! i knew yall jacked off

I love it when a chick talks dirty. You just made me horny. :drool: