PDA

View Full Version : Another HORRIBLE Call by the Refs!

Valerie
01-07-2003, 08:15 AM
I can't believe none of you are talking about the last call in the Giants game on Sunday night that was ruled pass interference, a little too :angry: late! I'm totally appalled! I don't see the point of coming out in public to say that the refs missed a call that potentially cost the Giants the GAME! What good does that do the Giants? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I would be so wildly pissed if I were them. Players get fined for stupid things throughout the season, I hope they fine these dumbass refs MAJOR money for a missed call like that. It was BLATANT! For pete's sake, even I saw the penalty and I miss a lot of them during a game!

Pitiful! I feel so bad for the Giants.

refs:chair:Giants

Gunzlingr
01-07-2003, 08:25 AM
I might feel bad for them if they didn't blow a 24 point lead!!! I feel that the "almighty" Shockey helped cost them the game when he dropped a dead on TD pass. Guess it sucks to be them, but they won't get any sympathy from me.

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 08:41 AM
The Giants are stupid.

Pride
01-07-2003, 11:07 AM
who felt bad for the Oilers even though Beebe stepped 1 inch out of bounds while streaking down the sidelines.

Pure and simple, the Oilers and Giants did not deserve to win the game. They couldn't put it away, I dont feel bad for them!

ArcticWildMan
01-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Yet another example of the need for full time refs.

Novacane
01-07-2003, 11:14 AM
Feel bad for the Giants? No way! If they can't hold a 24 point lead they deserve to lose

SABURZFAN
01-07-2003, 11:20 AM
everybody should be used to horrible calls by the refs.lord knows that we've had a few go against us.

Valerie
01-07-2003, 11:38 AM
I agree with all of you about the Giants not being able ot hold the Niners to a 24 point lead. They totally fell apart at the end. That being said, the refs still blew the game for them. That's wrong regardless of how poorly the Giants played. And, unfortunately, this call cost them possibly another round in the play-offs. A bad call is not right regardless of the circumstances, but this cost a team something BIG!

And yes, I do feel sorry for the Giants. I hope that the NFL decides to fine refs for piss-poor calls. It's about time they got called for being the jackasses they are!

justasportsfan
01-07-2003, 11:54 AM
I don't think they felt bad for the bills when the Music city Miracle happened.

Valerie
01-07-2003, 12:08 PM
Sure they did, Babe. The Giants are a sympathetic team.

justasportsfan
01-07-2003, 12:12 PM
No one called me to give their sympathies.

justasportsfan
01-07-2003, 12:14 PM
actually quite a lot did but they dialed 1-800-collect!

THATHURMANATOR
01-07-2003, 12:19 PM
I agree with LOG.

Valerie
The Giants aren't as frugal with their money. The Bills would've used 1-800- CALL-ATT to offer sympathies. And, while Doug was there, they would've used 10-10-220. :phone:

ublinkwescore
I've gotta go with Jaded on this one - had their been a pass interference flag, the Giants would have got the ball inside the 10, and would have been afforded another chance at kicking the field goal provided of course they could stop the 9ers from returning the kick all the way. Two wrongs don't make a right - you guys that are saying the giants didn't deserve to win dissapoint me as bills fans - that's like saying we didn't deserve to win against Tennesee - even though home run throw back WAS A FORWARD PASS!!! These damn refs need to get their acts together - this is a SERIOUS problem, and it's really hurting the integrity of the sport.

Valerie
01-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks, UBlink. I agree with what you said too. Bad calls are really starting to hurt the game. Bad calls are inexcuseable, but this is becoming a serious problem and it's costing teams more and more with each time. I AM mad about the call or lack thereof this past Sunday and yes, I'm still mad about the Music City Miracle and that piss poor call. If you can't do your job properly, then you should be fired. Pure and simple! There should be classes for the refs to take AND pass before they can become professional referees and they shoudl be fined for missing calls of poor calls. And after all that, after a certain amount of bad calls or missed calls (say 15) they should be fired! Period!

ublinkwescore
01-07-2003, 12:37 PM
15 seems kinda high - make it 10.

and just to let you guys know - the guy that should have drawn the PI flag WAS an eligible reciever who checked in before the game started.

I don't remember his name - I'm sure if you look through espn.com you'll find something on it - they had something on it last night on espn.

Cntrygal
01-07-2003, 12:40 PM
it was #69.... and his name is in another thread started about this topic.. I don't remember which one right off.

Cntrygal
01-07-2003, 12:40 PM
at least I think it was #69 and his name started with an S I think.

lol

Valerie
01-07-2003, 12:41 PM
They had something about that on EVERY news channel last night! Not only that, but I think it's on the cover of either USA Today front page or the sports section. It's HORRIBLE! And the fact that the officials came on to say, yeah, they screwed up and missed a call, but oh well, makes it THAT MUCH WORSE! WTF can the Giants do with this information now?????? It's a little too late!

ublinkwescore
01-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Did I mention that I hate the 9ers with a passion - their fans are all a bunch of bandwagon hopping morons.

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 12:43 PM
I loved seeing the Giants lose in the playoffs on a botched FG. If only they got the kick off and it went wide right. Talk about sweet irony!

Feel sorry for the Giants??? BAH!!!

ublinkwescore
01-07-2003, 12:43 PM
The NFL should have fired Jeff Triplett two years ago - he's the same ref that threw the flag, and almost blinded that guy from the Browns, gave Vinny Testaverde his TD that clearly wasn't a TD against the Seahawks the same year he gave the Bills/Titans game to the Titans.

There's half the league's controversy gone right there if they fire him.

ublinkwescore
01-07-2003, 12:45 PM
I feel sorry for the giants only because they got screwed - and would have won the game if the Refs had done their job the right way. Oh well, I guess some of us have more honor then others.

Cntrygal
01-07-2003, 12:47 PM
http://www.billsfanzone.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=113370#post113370

#69 - Rich Seubert

Valerie
01-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Cntry. :)

I agree, UBlink. I don't think any team deserves to be screwed out of a game, even if we don't like them.

BillsNYC
01-07-2003, 01:00 PM
i think the giants got screwed but LOVE the fact that they got screwed! even with another chance i am 100% sure they would have missed the kick....the kicker had NO confidence in his holder or snapper....when that happens you get...well...jake arians!

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
I feel sorry for the giants only because they got screwed - and would have won the game if the Refs had done their job the right way. Oh well, I guess some of us have more honor then others.

Whatever, Noble Sir Ublink. The Giants would have won if Shockey hadn't dropped that TD pass...or if #36 wasn't stupid by retaliating to Owens...or if they actually kicked the field goal instead of botching it...or...or...or...

They beat themselves. Period.

Plus the Giants are stupid.

THATHURMANATOR
01-07-2003, 01:03 PM
YEAH!!!!

don137
01-07-2003, 01:20 PM
I do feel for the Giants because as a Bills fan I know what's it like to come up on the short end of officiating. No they shouldn't of blown the 24 point lead but the officials should not dictate the outcome. As a Bills fan I feel it's hypicritical to accept it and just say that is part f the game.
It really takes a lot out of the game when there is bad calls like this. I love football and I love the Bills but I lost a lot of love for the game after the Bills got screwed by the Music City Miracle. Just like hockey I lost a lot of love of the game after the "no goal." At least the league owned up to there mistake and didn't try to change the rules like that little weasel Bettman did after the "no goal."

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 01:26 PM
I guess I just see it differently.

I don't like the Giants. I like it when they get screwed.

Can you honestly tell me you'd feel bad if the fish or pats got screwed? I know I wouldn't.

Valerie
01-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Great post, Don. :up: I agree. I think fans of all the teams should unite and protest the officiating. And, I also think ALL the teams should unite and protest too! Yeah, the Niners are all excited because the call was in their favor, but eventually, they're going to be on the other side and it won't feel as good. If all the teams took a stand and did something to change the rules or the way the refs make the calls, that could benefit everyone in the end.

Log, as to your question, yes, I would feel bad if it was the Dolphins or the Patriots. Honestly, the only team I wouldn't feel bad for is the Redskins.

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
Log, as to your question, yes, I would feel bad if it was the Dolphins or the Patriots. Honestly, the only team I wouldn't feel bad for is the Redskins.

Well you see Jaded, that's because you're a Cowboys fan.

Valerie
01-07-2003, 01:40 PM
True, but even if I wasn't, living down here as made me hate the Skins even more than I did when I was a diehard Cowboys fan. And, Danny S. doesn't help the situation.

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 01:42 PM
You're making my point for me. :D

don137
01-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I guess I just see it differently.

I don't like the Giants. I like it when they get screwed.

Can you honestly tell me you'd feel bad if the fish or pats got screwed? I know I wouldn't.

I felt the Fish got screwed on the PI call against the Patriots which cost them the game because Brady needed to throw the ball vertical and he is not a good north-south QB. I did not feel bad for them because I hate them BUT I don't think the bad call was right. If I had to decide between the Fish winning a game or them losing because of horrible officiating that directly affected the outcome of the game I would choose for the Fish winning because I would rather see the game have integrity over the Fish losing.

ublinkwescore
01-07-2003, 02:34 PM
LOG, I don't like the giants either - I've still got bitter memories from Superbowl XXV - and I always will have those bitter memories, but while we're on the topic, I don't want to hear you b!+<hing the next time we get screwed by the refs - and you know it will happen next year at some point.

The Giants DID deserve that win - even if they did squander a 24 point lead - they still had a chance to put it away, and should have had another if it weren't for the incompetence of the refs - who should have placed the ball at the 7 yard line, and let the giants have one more snap - which would have been a field goal that would have won the game for the Giants. If the Giants missed the field goal, then hey, too bad, wait till next year just like the other 28 teams.

ublinkwescore
01-07-2003, 02:36 PM
I like the idea of the game having integrity more then I like to see the fish or the pats or the jets lose.

I hope the Raiders go all the way this year.

Bulldog
01-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Ya know what, screw the Giants. First of all, San Fran had no business even being in that position in the first place. Secondly, how many times have the Bills/Sabres been screwed by poor officiating? And last but not least, maybe this will teach Shocky to keep his mouth shut and to play football until the final whistle has blown.:freako:

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 03:38 PM
I've learned to hate ref incompetence when it effects the Bills. But we have to live with it. So why not enjoy it when it affects a game the way you want? I'm not saying it's RIGHT. I'm just saying I enjoyed it thoroughly and the Giants deserved to lose.

justasportsfan
01-07-2003, 03:53 PM
The Giants gave up that huge lead. The 49'ers never gave up. The better team won that day. A little help form the refs? Sure. Between the two honestly , the 49'ers had the heart of a champion that day, wasn't the Giants!

The_Philster
01-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
The NFL should have fired Jeff Triplett two years ago - he's the same ref that threw the flag, and almost blinded that guy from the Browns, gave Vinny Testaverde his TD that clearly wasn't a TD against the Seahawks the same year he gave the Bills/Titans game to the Titans.

There's half the league's controversy gone right there if they fire him.
Triplett did throw that flag at Orlando Brown's eye.
Are you sure he was the back judge in the Jets-Seahawks game? Phil Luckett was the referee in charge I know and Jeff Triplette was a back judge that year but I don't know...was he on that crew?
The Bills-Titans game was in 1999, the afore-mentioned game in 1998. Triplette got promoted to referee in 1999 and Phil Luckett was the referee in charge of that Wild Card game. The only official that could be faulted for the call on the Home Run Throwback play was Byron Boston, the line judge who was 5 yards behind the play when it happened.

Great post, Don. :up: I agree. I think fans of all the teams should unite and protest the officiating. And, I also think ALL the teams should unite and protest too! Yeah, the Niners are all excited because the call was in their favor, but eventually, they're going to be on the other side and it won't feel as good. If all the teams took a stand and did something to change the rules or the way the refs make the calls, that could benefit everyone in the end..

Great post :up: Basically what would have to happen is for the league to think about requiring full-time officials and/or stiffer penalties for screw-ups. As bad a job as some of these guys have done, I think we'd have to get a lot of new officials because I think after enough screwups, they should be let go. Most jobs do that...fired for major mistakes...why not the NFL?

MissBuffalo
01-07-2003, 04:46 PM
The media out here is so happy about the blown call. They see it as revenge for the Raiders "tuck-rule" call last playoffs.

ublinkwescore
01-08-2003, 01:43 AM
The media isn't exactly comprised of Rocket Scientists - they too are in a business, and that is putting together a story that they can market.

MissBuffalo
01-08-2003, 11:51 AM
LOL--There's no "big story" that they wipped together to make money. It was just a few comments that they stated in-between segments.

Crinoline
01-08-2003, 12:24 PM
***** the Giants and ***** their fans, you'll never meet a greater collection of a**holes than you will at a bar full of Giant fans. It was sweet reverie watching them botch the game winning field goal. The expressions on the faces of the Giants fans made my week and probably my month. Booyah!

Valerie
01-08-2003, 12:52 PM
WOW! Have you had a bad experience with Giant fans, Crinoline? I never thought they were obnoxious or bad fans at all. I was never crazy about the Jets or their fans though.

Even though you don't like a team or their fans, it still sucks that the refs can blow calls that cost teams the game. It's not right. Something should be done to correct it because eventually every team will be on the losing end of a bad call.

Michael82
01-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Honestly, I don't know why everyone is making a big deal about that call. The snapper was having problems the last two times and the ball would have been at the same spot as before, anyways. As far as I am concerned....the kicker most likely would have missed it and the 49ers would have won still. The only reason the NFL and the country is making such a big deal about this is the fact that it happened to a big market team. That's one of my problems about this. If it happened in the Cleveland/Pitt game....then no one would say anything...but it's the Giants...so Tagliabue has to cover his ass! After all, isn't the NFL headquartered in NYC? :rolleyes:

Michael82
01-09-2003, 08:36 AM
no responses? :rolleyes:

Valerie
01-09-2003, 08:53 AM
I'll respond. I think you're wrong, Mike. First of all, you can't possibly predict whether or not the kicker would've missed or made that kick. Just because he wasn't making them before, doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't have made it this time. It was for the GAME! There was a lot on the line.

As far as your comment about people being upset because it was a "big market team," I disagree with you again. I don't think the team has anything to do with why people are upset. It was a costly mistake by the refs, one of many throughout the years, and it came at an extremely crucial point in the game and in the season. This wasn't just a piss-poor call that possibly lost the game for the Giants. This call lost the PLAY-OFFS for them! That's HUGE! The Bills and the Titans aren't "big market teams" and look at all the controversy the Titan's Music City Miracle call caused. Fans are getting annoyed and disgusted with the refs and with each missed and/or bad call, they are becoming more and more vocal about their disgust! Something needs to be done. And, I think if all the teams in the NFL were smart, they'd all get together and make something happen.

Michael82
01-09-2003, 12:39 PM
I'll respond. I think you're wrong, Mike. First of all, you can't possibly predict whether or not the kicker would've missed or made that kick. Just because he wasn't making them before, doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't have made it this time. It was for the GAME! There was a lot on the line.

As far as your comment about people being upset because it was a &quot;big market team,&quot; I disagree with you again. I don't think the team has anything to do with why people are upset. It was a costly mistake by the refs, one of many throughout the years, and it came at an extremely crucial point in the game and in the season. This wasn't just a piss-poor call that possibly lost the game for the Giants. This call lost the PLAY-OFFS for them! That's HUGE! The Bills and the Titans aren't &quot;big market teams&quot; and look at all the controversy the Titan's Music City Miracle call caused. Fans are getting annoyed and disgusted with the refs and with each missed and/or bad call, they are becoming more and more vocal about their disgust! Something needs to be done. And, I think if all the teams in the NFL were smart, they'd all get together and make something happen.

Okay....Why did the league not change rules after these? Why did the media not make a HUGE stink about these games??? Why did we not receive a public apology?

January 2000, Buffalo Bills lose to the Tennessee Titans because of an illegal forward pass that was wrongly called a lateral. RESULT? Nothing happened. Media made a big deal about it. NFL ignored it. NO RULES were changed!!!

January 2002, Oakland Raiders lose to the New England Patriots because of a terrible rule that makes a fumble an incomplete pass, even though he was NOT tucking the ball. It was a FUMBLE. RESULT? Nothing happened. Media made a big deal about it. NFL ignored it. NO RULES were changed!!!

January 2001, New York Giants lose to the San Fransisco 49ers because they gave up. They did come back and were ready to kick the game-winning field goal until they realized that they had a 41 year old snapper and he can't snap. Luckily their punter throws it in the endzone, but wait....49ers interfere....Giants have an ineligible receiver out there and the game is over. Giants lose! What are the odds that Junkin would actually make a good snap on the next try anyways? he sucked that whole day! RESULT? Media uproar! Fan uproar! NFL apologizes and calls it the worst call EVER! A bunch of rules were changed!!! Oakland Raiders' fans and Buffalo Bills' fans go nuts!

Crinoline
01-09-2003, 12:40 PM
I agree with Mike, the reason they are making a big deal about it is because the Gints are a big market team. Where's the hub-bub over the blown call in the Packers/Falcons game?

I repeat, ***** the Giants and their fans!!

Valerie
01-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282 Media uproar! Fan uproar! NFL apologizes and calls it the worst call EVER! A bunch of rules were changed!!! Oakland Raiders' fans and Buffalo Bills' fans go nuts!
I haven't heard of any rules that have been changed as a result of this. Can you please show me a link so I can see what they are? Thanks. :)

And the media and the fans made big stinks over the other calls you mentioned, Mike.

Michael82
01-09-2003, 01:33 PM
If we go into the games that were during the season...this could take a little more time and a lot of red markers to change the rulebooks. Here's a few examples...

Seahawks lose vs Jets because Testeverde's helmet crosses the goal line...touchdown! That's right...not the ball...his freaking HEAD!

Bills lose with the "Just Give it To Em" call!

December 16, 2001 - Bills lose to the Patriots when David Patten catches a pass in OT. He get drilled by Keion Carpenter then fumbles and the Nate Clements recovers....But WAIT....Play was reviewed by that IDIOT Mike Carey, and it was OVERTURNED!!! Patten's unconsious head was out of bounds and his foot touched the ball, making it DEAD before Clements recovered. NO RULES were changed after this pathetic cheap win that helped get the PAtriots in the Super Bowl!

December 16, 2001 - Browns lose to the Jaguars and get knocked out of the playoffs when the referee reviewed a play AFTER the next play was done. Browns had a first down at Jacksonville's 9 taken away despite running a play before the officials reviewed the previous play. Under NFL rules, a challenge must be made before the next play takes place. Couch apparently completed a fourth-and-2 pass to receiver Quincy Morgan with 1:08 left, and the Browns, who were out of timeouts, rushed to the line of scrimmage. On first down, Couch spiked the ball with 48 seconds left and was headed to the sideline when the officials began to discuss Morgan's catch. After a lot of waiting, the referee went to the replay booth and then came back to overrule the play...AFTER the next play already took place. Fans Rioted and then the Ref tried to end a game that had 48 seconds left on the clock! A lot of the media went after this because of the fans and the rioting. Nothing was done to correct this terrible problem and the Browns owner was even forced to apologize for his teams' fans. :rolleyes:

The Best Justice for me was this........
http://www.sptimes.com/News/121701/photos/sp-officials.jpg

Look at those cowards flee the stadium...bwaahahaha! :evil:

Michael82
01-09-2003, 01:37 PM

I haven't heard of any rules that have been changed as a result of this. Can you please show me a link so I can see what they are? Thanks. :)

And the media and the fans made big stinks over the other calls you mentioned, Mike.

Here ya go.....
http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/6114046

The NFL implemented several officiating changes, including the positioning of officials on field-goal attempts to avoid future foul-ups like the one at the end of the Giants-49ers playoff game.

Under the new policy, initiated by commissioner Paul Tagliabue, the seven field officials will be realigned so they can better see what happens in the event of a fake field goal or a botched attempt, like the one at the end of last Sunday's game, won by the 49ers 39-38.

The new policy will begin with this weekend's four playoff games.

In addition, the new policy calls for the field officials to confer on controversial game-deciding calls at the end of games instead of just the referee and the other officials who made the call.

The_Philster
01-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
Bills lose vs Jets because Testeverde's helmet crosses the goal line...touchdown! That's right...not the ball...his freaking HEAD!

Did I miss this game? Which game was it and I'll check my tapes because the only time I remember that happening with Vinny was against the Seahawks back in 1998.

lordofgun
01-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Yeah, that wasn't against the Bills.

Michael82
01-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Yeah, that was a misprint...i just got so into it, that i kept writing Bills for everything. :D

Wasn't there a play that happened to us that was similiar?