PDA

View Full Version : Recovery From Achilles Rupture

Zero
09-27-2005, 10:03 AM
I know everyone here is familiar with how Sam Cowart fared after going through this type of injury, but now having to go through this again with another promising LB I was wondering how often do athletes fully recover after sustaining a torn achilles? Vinney T. recovered but he was a QB , I imagine its different for other positions like WR, DB.........

casdhf
09-27-2005, 10:05 AM
I don't think Sam Coward ever had the passion or determination that TKO has.

Ebenezer
09-27-2005, 10:10 AM
I know everyone here is familiar with how Sam Cowart fared after going through this type of injury, but now having to go through this again with another promising LB I was wondering how often do athletes fully recover after sustaining a torn achilles? Vinney T. recovered but he was a QB , I imagine its different for other positions like WR, DB.........
what's the degree of the tear?? it is a tendon...you could have individual fibers tear (bone chips, tendonitis), a partial tear or a complete tear...each case is different.

Zero
09-27-2005, 10:11 AM
I really hope thats what it was . I would hate to see Takeo fall short of becoming one of the greatest LB's to ever play the game. He's a got a real passion for the game and i'm sure he's gonna work real hard to get back to 100%...

Tatonka
09-27-2005, 10:48 AM
dan marino tore his.

TacklingDummy
09-27-2005, 10:50 AM
dan marino tore his.

Dan Marino never relied on his mobility.

pintonick96
09-27-2005, 10:50 AM
dan marino tore his.Yeah, he went from being a slow QB to being the slowest QB ever. I think TKO can bounce back, he's an animal in the weight room and is a very determined guy.

OpIv37
09-27-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah, he went from being a slow QB to being the slowest QB ever. .
sorry but the slowest QB ever is without a doubt Bernie Kosar. That guy couldn't outrun Ted Kennedy after 4 hours at an open bar.

Tatonka
09-27-2005, 11:08 AM
bernie kozar got a delay of game once on a scramble.

The King
09-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Clyde Drexler recovered. I remember watching the game when he tore his it literally snapped off.

DarbyTheDinosaur
09-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Trent Dilfer tore his...sure, not a name that strikes fear in the hearts of linebackers but he's definitely more mobile that Marino ever was.

Zero
09-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Clyde Drexler recovered. I remember watching the game when he tore his it literally snapped off.

how early/late in his career?

DarbyTheDinosaur
09-27-2005, 11:21 AM
More inspiration for TKO and Bills fans...Get Well TKO!!!

http://www.achillestendon.com/InTheNews.html

New Jersey Net Vince Carter recovered from his Achilles tendon injury to be named to the NBA All-Star Team for the 6th year in a row.

Philadelphia Eagle Derrick Burgess ruptured his left Achilles tendon during the 2003 NFL preseason, causing him to miss the entire 2003 season. He recovered from the Achilles tendon injury and unrelated injuries suffered in 2004, to be named NFL Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Eagles' <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Year="2005" Day="23" Month="1">Jan. 23, 2005</st1:date>

Despite rupturing her Achilles tendon in 1997, middle distance runner Kelly Holmes won two Olympic gold medals in <st1:City><st1:place>Athens</st1:place></st1:City> in 2004.

Ickybaluky
09-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Vinny Testaverde is another guy who returned from a ruptured achilles.

TheBrownBear
09-27-2005, 11:22 AM
how early/late in his career?
It was last month at the Y.

Zero
09-27-2005, 11:25 AM
More inspiration for TKO and Bills fans...Get Well TKO!!!

http://www.achillestendon.com/InTheNews.html

New Jersey Net Vince Carter recovered from his Achilles tendon injury to be named to the NBA All-Star Team for the 6th year in a row.

Philadelphia Eagle Derrick Burgess ruptured his left Achilles tendon during the 2003 NFL preseason, causing him to miss the entire 2003 season. He recovered from the Achilles tendon injury and unrelated injuries suffered in 2004, to be named NFL Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Eagles' <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:date Month="1" Day="23" Year="2005">Jan. 23, 2005</st1:date>

Despite rupturing her Achilles tendon in 1997, middle distance runner Kelly Holmes won two Olympic gold medals in <st1:City><st1:place>Athens</st1:place></st1:City> in 2004.

WOW! I cant believe i forgot about Vince. Thats great to know. IMO basketball players probably put more stress on their ligaments and tendons than football players..

Michael82
09-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Takeo Spikes has wayyy too much heart and passion to let this bring him down. i think he'll come back just as good as before or maybe even better. :up:

fabolouspaul
09-27-2005, 01:07 PM
France said Spikes complained of a sore right leg the last two weeks, adding it was a reason he was held out of practice Friday.

France and coach Mike Mularkey have been assured by doctors that Spikes should recover fully.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2172743

billsburgh
09-27-2005, 01:46 PM
nobody has mentioned Julian Peterson of the 49ers who is playing pretty well so far this season after tearing his last year.

Typ0
09-27-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't like the idea of he was complaining of a problem with the leg and they held him out of practice. It seems to me with a professional athlete when there was a problem they would do tests to see what it is and not put them in harms way if there was potential to make a minor injury much worse. Kinda sounds like someone might have dropped the ball on this one.

BillsFever21
09-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Spikes' agent, Todd France, said his client was flying Monday to Birmingham, Ala., where Dr. James Andrews was to perform surgery within the next two days. Andrews is a noted orthopedist who this year operated on New York Jets quarterback Chad Pennington and Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Jim Thome.
This is real good to hear. The same doctor that did surgery on Pennington who messed his shoulder up again 3 games into the season? :sadwalk:

Samphin1
09-27-2005, 02:34 PM
This is real good to hear. The same doctor that did surgery on Pennington who messed his shoulder up again 3 games into the season? :sadwalk:

Actually, James Andrews is probably the best sports injury doctor on the planet. He works on everyone from Hockey to Pro Wrestlers.

Pennington's tear was in a different place than the original one. Different injury more or less. I would feel real good about TKO's chances with Andrews working on him.

TigerJ
09-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Surgical techniques have greatly improved for achilles tendon repair as they have for ACL surgery. The prognosis is better for full recovery than it was even a few years ago.