PDA

View Full Version : My outlook of the Bills

ghz in pittsburgh
09-27-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm one who had doubts about the Bills defense all along, even during last years' run. So far the Bills validated my concern.

In the short run, I actually expect the Bills to pick up a couple of wins. It's not uncommon for teams to grow and become tighter when you lose the best player on your team, especially on a team where there are a lot of veterans. Everyone feel the need to do a little better, more effort instead of waiting for the big guy to make the play for you.

In the long run, I think we should call this year a successful year if Losman have a Palmer type of year last year, i.e. on the verge of breaking out next year.

Watching Palmer, and Brady & Roethlisberger (damn the Texans wouldn't trade with us last year), I can't help realizing how important a capable QB does to a team. Without Brady, I'm not sure Belichick would've won even one superbowl in NE.

By all scouting reports & accounts, Losman needs the most time developing among the 4 1st round QBs and we are seeing that right now. I don't care what MM and TD are saying about "not taking a step back this year." As far as playoff this year is concerned, this is a step back. But in the big picture, it is a step forward. I think everyone should agree with that.

Where I was never sold on defense is 1) we have to rely on schemes to make things happen and 2) the best player and the core of defensive starters are not developed by the Bills. They are high priced FAs. We all know that teams can always keep the player they want in this era. For our run defense, straight down the middle. We simply don't have a defensive tackle that we drafted can do the job; we don't have a linebacker that we drafted can beat out the FA starters; we cannot draft a safety that is even adequate to start in this league.

I'm seeing hope on offense where we may have our future center, QB, and running back on this team. But I don't know backbone of our defense will be in the future. Adams, Fletcher, Milloy and Vicent are getting up in the age there (quite possibly in decline already) and we still have to rely on them year after year.

Mitchy moo
09-27-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm one who had doubts about the Bills defense all along, even during last years' run. So far the Bills validated my concern.

In the short run, I actually expect the Bills to pick up a couple of wins. It's not uncommon for teams to grow and become tighter when you lose the best player on your team, especially on a team where there are a lot of veterans. Everyone feel the need to do a little better, more effort instead of waiting for the big guy to make the play for you.

In the long run, I think we should call this year a successful year if Losman have a Palmer type of year last year, i.e. on the verge of breaking out next year.

Watching Palmer, and Brady & Roethlisberger (damn the Texans wouldn't trade with us last year), I can't help realizing how important a capable QB does to a team. Without Brady, I'm not sure Belichick would've won even one superbowl in NE.

By all scouting reports & accounts, Losman needs the most time developing among the 4 1st round QBs and we are seeing that right now. I don't care what MM and TD are saying about "not taking a step back this year." As far as playoff this year is concerned, this is a step back. But in the big picture, it is a step forward. I think everyone should agree with that.

Where I was never sold on defense is 1) we have to rely on schemes to make things happen and 2) the best player and the core of defensive starters are not developed by the Bills. They are high priced FAs. We all know that teams can always keep the player they want in this era. For our run defense, straight down the middle. We simply don't have a defensive tackle that we drafted can do the job; we don't have a linebacker that we drafted can beat out the FA starters; we cannot draft a safety that is even adequate to start in this league.

I'm seeing hope on offense where we may have our future center, QB, and running back on this team. But I don't know backbone of our defense will be in the future. Adams, Fletcher, Milloy and Vicent are getting up in the age there (quite possibly in decline already) and we still have to rely on them year after year.
Great post, I like it!!