PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Constructive Ways to Correct Our Troubles

Mudflap1
09-27-2005, 12:45 PM
1. Restructure Mike Williams' contract. $9+ million is a joke right now for this guy.
2. Restructure Eric Moulds' contract.
3. Get Parrish in lineup ASAP. Maybe SOMEBODY will get open enough to hit. At least J.P. seemed to have SOME sort of rhythm with him in camp.
4. Don't be fearful to change quarterbacks if Losman cannot perform in the next two games or so. I'm rooting for the guy, but we can't sacrifice the whole season and continue to tolerate losing because he's simply not ready yet to read defenses. He needs to show SOME improvement. (in a related note, how bad is Shane Matthews if he is currently THIRD string on this team? I mean, is he THAT much worse than Losman and Holcomb? Disturbing.....)
5. Sign Ross Verba.
6. Use Jason Peters more at Tight End to have 'six offensive linemen.' We're not throwing to the tight ends anyway, might as well put a load in there who can block.
7. Run Willis even more.
8. Sign Nate Clements.
9. Use Coy Wire in a quasi-linebacker position since Spikes is out. At least the guy will hit somebody (he certainly can't cover). It's his natural position.
10. Throw more dump off passes and screen passes. Losman isn't capable of intermediate, complicated reads yet. Throw more to Willis.

Jon

ryven
09-27-2005, 01:10 PM
1. Restructure Mike Williams' contract. $9+ million is a joke right now for this guy.
3. Get Parrish in lineup ASAP. Maybe SOMEBODY will get open enough to hit. At least J.P. seemed to have SOME sort of rhythm with him in camp.
4. Don't be fearful to change quarterbacks if Losman cannot perform in the next two games or so. I'm rooting for the guy, but we can't sacrifice the whole season and continue to tolerate losing because he's simply not ready yet to read defenses. He needs to show SOME improvement. (in a related note, how bad is Shane Matthews if he is currently THIRD string on this team? I mean, is he THAT much worse than Losman and Holcomb? Disturbing.....)
5. Sign Ross Verba.
6. Use Jason Peters more at Tight End to have 'six offensive linemen.' We're not throwing to the tight ends anyway, might as well put a load in there who can block.
7. Run Willis even more.
8. Sign Nate Clements.
9. Use Coy Wire in a quasi-linebacker position since Spikes is out. At least the guy will hit somebody (he certainly can't cover). It's his natural position.
10. Throw more dump off passes and screen passes. Losman isn't capable of intermediate, complicated reads yet. Throw more to Willis.

Jon

I agree for the most part but I dont thinks we need Verba, but you hit the nail on the head we are not using our TE's enough so why not put Peters out there and let Willis do his thing.

Pride
09-27-2005, 01:18 PM
:bf1:

Awesome analysis and ideas!!!

You should post more often!

Mudflap1
09-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Verba would be good as a reserve. German ain't cuttin' it as a replacement to Williams. And if Williams is injury-proned and/or is struggling mightily, put Verba in! At least he's a veteran who can play.

It's very simple. The Bills need to find a way to win this next game. I don't care how they do it. I don't care if Losman is 0-20 with 5 interceptions. I don't care if McGahee has 25 carries for 25 yards. They need to kick, scratch, and claw their way to a win. Period. If, no, WHEN they win, that's all I care about. I want to know/see how they are going to get this done. A MUST WIN.

It's time to bury all of the "well, he'll struggle" or "we'll see how it goes" or "well, the Saints are going to be at their first game in Texas." Buffalo must find some way to WIN. That's all that matters.

BTW thanks for the props Pride.

Jon

footballhottie
09-27-2005, 01:31 PM
I say we stop running the god damn shot gun.

ryven
09-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Verba would be good as a reserve. German ain't cuttin' it as a replacement to Williams. And if Williams is injury-proned and/or is struggling mightily, put Verba in! At least he's a veteran who can play.

It's very simple. The Bills need to find a way to win this next game. I don't care how they do it. I don't care if Losman is 0-20 with 5 interceptions. I don't care if McGahee has 25 carries for 25 yards. They need to kick, scratch, and claw their way to a way. Period. If, no, WHEN they win, that's all I care about. I want to know/see how they are going to get this done. A MUST WIN.

It's time to bury all of the "well, he'll struggle" or "we'll see how it goes" or "well, the Saints are going to be at their first game in Texas." Buffalo must find some way to WIN. That's all that matters.

BTW thanks for the props Pride.

Jon

I did not see the game I didn't realize that Williams was out then as far as Verba is concerned I agree with you then.

Mudflap1
09-27-2005, 01:36 PM
11. At certain times, run more no-huddle. I know this goes against the beefeater, smash-mouth approach, but if there are 8 men in the box slamming McGahee and the line, I would put Peters out there with 3 wide (Moulds and Evans obviously, and then hopefully Parrish soon) and run all kinds of tricky stuff like play action roll outs, dumpoffs, QB keepers, and take a few shots down field if need be. Oddly enough, Losman looks more comfortable in the hurry-up spread at times than he does with the regular offense. This should not be the rule, but be done as a change up if the regular offense isn't working. They can't just sit there and let 8-9 guys come into the box (like Tampa) and just take it in the chops. Make adjustments accordingly. If Losman is capable of hitting 10 yard pass patterns with the spread, the defense won't be able to defend the standard offense and the no-huddle.

Jon

ryven
09-27-2005, 01:39 PM
I also think cross routes would help the WR's get open more. I see tampa doing it alot and it is very effective.

Typ0
09-27-2005, 02:22 PM
I'd like to know why Willis isn't catching more passes myself. I think this is key to our success to be honest and I don't know why it's not happening considering he has the skills.

Mitchy moo
09-27-2005, 02:51 PM
I'd like to know why Willis isn't catching more passes myself. I think this is key to our success to be honest and I don't know why it's not happening considering he has the skills.
You have to have someone able to pass the ball in the first place.

Typ0
09-27-2005, 03:30 PM
JP can pass the ball. I've seen him have lightening accuracy. He's got to get in a place where he has the confidence to throw that ball. He's not there. But this is a different issue...Willis should be a weapon in our passing game. I understand what you are saying...but we aren't missing throws to willis we are just plain not throwing him the ball.

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2005, 03:31 PM
5. Sign Ross Verba.
7. Run Willis even more.
8. Sign Nate Clements.

JonExcept for Verba (I'm on the fence), I agree with the rest (I've been harping on #1 for a long time and it HAS to be done). I like the Peters/Coy idea alot (I never would have come up with those).

Good post! :up:

jamze132
09-27-2005, 03:39 PM
I have to add a constructive idea...

Someone please show Troy Vincent how to properly tackle a running back.

finsrclowns
09-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know how long does Mike Williams contract has left?

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Too long. :(

Seriously though, I would like to know as well.

JD
09-27-2005, 04:09 PM
5. Sign Ross Verba.
7. Run Willis even more.
8. Sign Nate Clements.

Jon
I did notice at the last game Willis was open on several occasions and did not get the ball thrown to him much.

G. Host
09-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Mike Williams is not injury-prone - he had a player roll on top of him in Bucs game. His salary is a consenquence of his draft pick status - it does not make any sense but rookies are slotted before they do anything at all. Perhaps you think Donahoe should have just traded away picks like George Allen?

With Spikes out and no pressure from center of line play more 3-4. Less need for less experienced LBs to play the entire field like Spikes did.

Captain Obvious
09-27-2005, 05:27 PM
After this season, 2 more years.

Mudflap1
09-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Mike Williams is not injury-prone - he had a player roll on top of him in Bucs game. His salary is a consenquence of his draft pick status - it does not make any sense but rookies are slotted before they do anything at all. Perhaps you think Donahoe should have just traded away picks like George Allen?

I think it's pretty clear what I'm stating here. Mike Williams currently is not what I would call injury-proned (although he has missed games throughout his career). But with a bum ankle, it's possible he COULD become injury-proned. Did I say to trade all the picks away?

Mike Williams so far has not lived up to the hype. I'm sorry, he hasn't, and this is several years into his career. German is not a very good backup, he's below average at best. If Williams' injury prolongs, and/or he comes back but continues to underachieve, maybe it's time to bring in a veteran who knows how to block to 1) play if he's hurt so we can still adequately make 3rd and 3 type plays, or 2) light a fire under William's ass if he isn't living up to his potential.

So basically yeah, I'm saying 'trade away all the picks' like George Allen did. That makes sense.

Jon

Mudflap1
09-27-2005, 06:01 PM
I feel the need to rant a little bit.

I'm a bit sick and tired of all of these 'untouchable' players that some people feel are on this team. Mike Williams? Oh, he was a 4th pick in the draft a few years ago, so he deserves a ton of money and to play? No, sorry. He has had enough time to prove that he's a dominant player worthy of his contract. If he's not producing and there's somebody on the team that can play better, they should play. He should then take a paycut or restructure, because he's not earning his pay.

Losman? The kid's young, we gotta give him a chance. But if he's not making ANY improvement later on in the season (as in still not being able to read defenses), then he's not ready yet, he needs to be held accountable, and somebody else needs to be given a chance to play.

Moulds and Evans? Same thing. If they legitimately aren't getting open (not 'getting open but Losman isn't finding them') they need to be held accountable too.

The coaches need to be held accountable. GM too. Losing should NOT be tolerated by the team, the media, or the fans. We've waited too long and this team is too talented.

As for Spikes and the LBs, at least Coy Wire can hit somebody. What's the point of switching to a 3-4, putting in two Angelo Crowells that hit the wrong hole and give up 53 yard runs? It doesn't get any worse than that, does it? It doesn't get any worse than last run defense in the league, does it? Might as well switch it up and try something different. I'm not saying Wire should play 100% of the snaps at LB, but it might be clever to try SOMETHING to shake things up and confuse defenses.

I'm not saying to throw ANYBODY under the bus yet, but it's time to make some adjustments, hold some people accountable, and make this team better.

MUST WIN THIS SUNDAY!

Jon

JD
09-27-2005, 10:50 PM
I also think cross routes would help the WR's get open more. I see tampa doing it alot and it is very effective.
Exactly what I was saying while at the Atlanta game. Have moulds and Evans do a cross pattern of some sort. When Roscoe comes back I can see him doing short routes but turning up the speed for some serious yards after the catch.

Demon
09-27-2005, 11:49 PM

I know you had 10 reasons, but if you think, a rookie, who missed all of the pre-season, and first 3 games of the regular season, will make any kind of impact, then you're just lieing to yourself.

This isn't college and he won't learn that quickly. I hope he returns, because i want to see him make a difference next season, but, this season, if the game means something, i'd prefer Jonathan Smith getting the ball, then Parrish.

clumping platelets
09-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Restructuring Mike Williams right now does little for the team in 05....besides, his $3 million roster bonus was already converted to signing bonus to save about $2 million

Moulds was already restructured in 05.....gotta wait until Feb

We can re-sign Clements withouty creating any new cap space

Stewie
09-28-2005, 07:27 AM

Why, so JP has even less time to scan the field?

Stewie
09-28-2005, 07:29 AM

I was wondering the same thing myself. I can only guess that J.P. doesn't consistently have time to read all the way to his checkdown.

But I agree that more plays should be designed to get him the ball.

casdhf
09-28-2005, 07:48 AM
I like the Coy Wire idea! Forget Verba though, why spend cap we don't really have?

EDS
09-28-2005, 08:34 AM
The reason the Bills have struggled this year is almost entirely because of Losman. His inability to make plays with his arm limits the Bills offense and causes the Bills defense to be on the field for far too much time. When your offense cannot sustain drives, your defense doesn't stand a chance.

The Billls organization and their fans need to be patient with JP. He needs at least another 5 or 6 starts before there should be any talk of benching him. Maybe it costs the team the playoffs this year, but in the long run or short run it is unlikely the Bills will win a super bowl with Kelly Holcomb at QB, so might as well groom the future now.

mysticsoto
09-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Good, I much prefer constructive talk about how to improve than whining.

1. Restructure Mike Williams' contract. $9+ million is a joke right now for this guy. I'm not sure that there is much restructuring you can do, I believe he had roster bonus converted this past year and his salary is probably a little backloaded. You mention in a post him taking a cut...that's not something the front office can enforce. A contract is a contract. They can ask him to, but I don't picture that working out the way you want it to, "Hey Mike, can you take a pay cut?" "Sure." "Okay, thanks." (???)

2. Restructure Eric Moulds' contract. Same thing here, there was restructuring done already. And Moulds is probably on the border of being pissed and speaking out. Keep this in mind...Moulds has had a constant influx of offensive coordinators and quarterbacks since he got here. He has never had stability, and despite all this, he's put up decent numbers and not complained. This season he has had several occasions where he has been open and the ball has been overthrown or underthrown to him. As a wide receiver, it is incredibly frustrating to make a move and get open and then not have the ball delivered as it should be each time. Moulds has never had a QB that he can say they were a team together. This has hurt his career more than anything, and now, he's being asked to be patient in the last years of his career for yet a new QB to develop and get him the ball. In Moulds shoes, I'd be livid and extremely frustrated. His only consolation is his decent salary - but his non-production on the field is not his fault!

3. Get Parrish in lineup ASAP. Maybe SOMEBODY will get open enough to hit. At least J.P. seemed to have SOME sort of rhythm with him in camp. I'm sure that is the intention - but you can't rush it. When he's ready, they'll put him in.

4. Don't be fearful to change quarterbacks if Losman cannot perform in the next two games or so. I'm rooting for the guy, but we can't sacrifice the whole season and continue to tolerate losing because he's simply not ready yet to read defenses. He needs to show SOME improvement. (in a related note, how bad is Shane Matthews if he is currently THIRD string on this team? I mean, is he THAT much worse than Losman and Holcomb? Disturbing.....) Now you are entering a philisophical debate. If you don't give Losman the time, he doesn't develop or doesn't develop well. Carson Palmer and Eli Manning were horrendous at times last year and sometimes difficult to watch. But this year, they are lighting it up nicely. Do you sacrifice Losman's development for the immediate win? Are you sacrificing more than you think you might be? Do we end up with a mediocre season next year b'cse he's not fully developed? Is it worth sacrificing 1 season if it means next year he will be great? There are alot of schools of thought and I know that immediate gratification tends to win out - but are we so sure that Holcomb is that much better? He may read the defenses better, but can he react fast enough? He won't be able to escape blitzes like JP can. Are we trading one evil for another?

5. Sign Ross Verba. You complained about MW and his price and you want to sign Ross Verba at $5 Million (and as you mention in a later post) to be a backup ???

6. Use Jason Peters more at Tight End to have 'six offensive linemen.' We're not throwing to the tight ends anyway, might as well put a load in there who can block. Now this idea I like. Against Atlanta, they make Peters eligible as a catcher, and then they throw right at him - gee, that wasn't obvious. When he does play on the line, they need to make him eligible more often, even if his role is not to go catch and fake into a run and use him to come out as a blocker. The play calling has been somewhat predictable, and the Bills are too simple in their sets. There's not much screens being called or other plays that might counter the overaggressiveness of players against trying to rattle JP. Clements hasn't impressed me so far on his play calling and it is also his job to implement game plans that JP can execute. Alot of people have wanted to blame Mularkey on some things, and maybe he should take part of the blame, but Clements shouldn't be immune - I'm starting to feel he doesn't have an ability to both adapt a game to JP and his current abilities, as well as teach JP how to fit in the scheme of things...

7. Run Willis even more. I think last game was a major improvement here. Throw some bombs and force the defense to respect the bombs and that frees up Willis a bit. My only concern is that Atlanta implemented a cover 2 also, realizing that JP had problems reading it and throwing within it. I fear every team is going to play a cover 2 defense with the LBs playing up to support the run. Our slot receiver (Reed) therefore needs to get some heavy reps and be integrated into the game plan more intensively. When Parrish comes back, I think a few teams may pay the price if they implement this game plan on us. But for now, we have to hope Reed can get us the yards we need to move the chains...

8. Sign Nate Clements. I'm all for this - unless he asks for Peyton Manning type money...

9. Use Coy Wire in a quasi-linebacker position since Spikes is out. At least the guy will hit somebody (he certainly can't cover). It's his natural position. This sounds better than what it actually probably would be like...I have questions as to how to implement. Are you saying you want Vincent to be the lone Safety back there and have 4 LBs? In which case you are pretty much saying you want our CBs to be in man coverage. If we are playing a good, accurate QB, we might just get burned on that. Against Vick, I wouldn't have minded. Against Aaron Brooks...I probably won't mind too much as it's probably more important to stop Deuce than anything. Against Brady, forget it...he'll shred us to pieces. The problem with Coy also, is that he's not that fast. If you are asking to replace him for Spikes, that means Crowell stays out, you now have a liability in terms of speed. Crowell I believe is faster than Coy, and I don't think he's a soft player. I believe Crowell is better suited to replacing Spikes than Coy is. So I'm not exactly sure how to go about implementing what you suggested.

In any case, I believe Coy is injured (thigh contusion ?) and is questionable for the game - which means our special teams will take a hit without him!

10. Throw more dump off passes and screen passes. Losman isn't capable of intermediate, complicated reads yet. Throw more to Willis. This I agree with 100% and alluded to some in my talk about Clements above. I am worried that they don't throw much to Willis b'cse he's not a good receiver. I have seen him drop the ball several times and I think he needs to improve there. I also don't like the...rest Willis on 3rd downs philosophy. I don't mind resting him occasionally on 3rd downs, but not EVERY 3rd down. He's an athlete and in top shape - let him do what he can do. Shaud can spell him from time to time, but he's our main RB and has the best abilities to punch throw and get 1st downs - let him do so!

Jeff1220
09-28-2005, 09:25 AM

Fine, but you don't have to bring His name into it. :nono:

footballhottie
09-28-2005, 09:28 AM
I got number 11......start stamer

footballhottie
09-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Fine, but you don't have to bring His name into it. :nono:My bad

Tinboy
09-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Now you are entering a philisophical debate. If you don't give Losman the time, he doesn't develop or doesn't develop well. Carson Palmer and Eli Manning were horrendous at times last year and sometimes difficult to watch. But this year, they are lighting it up nicely. Do you sacrifice Losman's development for the immediate win? Are you sacrificing more than you think you might be? Do we end up with a mediocre season next year b'cse he's not fully developed? Is it worth sacrificing 1 season if it means next year he will be great? There are alot of schools of thought and I know that immediate gratification tends to win out - but are we so sure that Holcomb is that much better? He may read the defenses better, but can he react fast enough? He won't be able to escape blitzes like JP can. Are we trading one evil for another?

:bf1: :bf1: :bf1:

Well put, JP I believe needs time to mature and win some games ot sit and rot on the bench. I think we will win on Sunday and JP will throw one TD (Evans).

Mudflap1
09-28-2005, 10:11 AM
To all those that continue to want to give J.P. Losman the QB job unconditionally no matter how many losses......

I wholeheartedly disagree with this philosophy. Look, every move the team has made this season was for this guy to be THE guy, and for him to lead this team, so we're basically stuck with him one way or another. He needs to play. However, this team is quite talented, and probably is a playoff-caliber team based upon talent. To this point (all of the supporters will say "it's only been three games", but I'm going to start saying "hey! It's been THREE games, and the last two are developing a not-so-good trend") Losman has not been picking things up. He has not been improving. He has in fact gotten worse from the first game. Sure, this may not continue. Sure, he needs a couple of more games. However, at some point this season in the not-too-distant future you have to say to yourself "this team is good enough to go to the playoffs", and if this guy is getting worse, or hasn't improved beyond his last two dreadful performances, you 1) CANNOT TOLERATE LOSING, and 2) CANNOT HOLD THE TEAM BACK. Soto, you mention Moulds, etc. with all of this different coordinators. What do you think he would want to see? 1-15 with the guy POSSIBLY not getting any better? Or would he like to see 1-5 start with a change to a veteran QB who will at least give the Bills a chance? Frankly, I don't think any of us would want to see either, but at some point, you have to say enough is enough and that this guy just isn't ready yet to get the job done. I don't want that day to come. I want the guy to start to get better. If he throws for 150 yards this week and a touchdown, that's improvement. If he throws for 200 yards the next week, that's improvement. If he throws for 75 yards this week and 50 yards next week, that's not improvement, and frankly, is embarrassing. The most important stat of course is whether the Bills win or not.

People need to start realizing that J.P. Losman may NEVER get it. I hope this isn't the case. However, he constantly needs to be monitored, because this is a hard-knocks league, and to overcome adversity you need to have a lot of moxie. He's really at the crossroads of this season in my opinion. Over the next two games he needs to start improving and the Bills need to start winning again, or this season may get away from them AGAIN, and the veterans will NOT be happy about that. Plate -- J.P. J.P. -- Plate. Now step up to it.

Jon

MarvLevy
09-28-2005, 10:25 AM
i agree with the wire point. it might benefit us because he can probably covert a TE and he can hit.

MarvLevy
09-28-2005, 10:25 AM
i agree with the wire point. it might benefit us because he can probably cover a TE and he can hit.

EDS
09-28-2005, 10:48 AM
To all those that continue to want to give J.P. Losman the QB job unconditionally no matter how many losses......

I wholeheartedly disagree with this philosophy. Look, every move the team has made this season was for this guy to be THE guy, and for him to lead this team, so we're basically stuck with him one way or another. He needs to play. However, this team is quite talented, and probably is a playoff-caliber team based upon talent. To this point (all of the supporters will say "it's only been three games", but I'm going to start saying "hey! It's been THREE games, and the last two are developing a not-so-good trend") Losman has not been picking things up. He has not been improving. He has in fact gotten worse from the first game. Sure, this may not continue. Sure, he needs a couple of more games. However, at some point this season in the not-too-distant future you have to say to yourself "this team is good enough to go to the playoffs", and if this guy is getting worse, or hasn't improved beyond his last two dreadful performances, you 1) CANNOT TOLERATE LOSING, and 2) CANNOT HOLD THE TEAM BACK. Soto, you mention Moulds, etc. with all of this different coordinators. What do you think he would want to see? 1-15 with the guy POSSIBLY not getting any better? Or would he like to see 1-5 start with a change to a veteran QB who will at least give the Bills a chance? Frankly, I don't think any of us would want to see either, but at some point, you have to say enough is enough and that this guy just isn't ready yet to get the job done. I don't want that day to come. I want the guy to start to get better. If he throws for 150 yards this week and a touchdown, that's improvement. If he throws for 200 yards the next week, that's improvement. If he throws for 75 yards this week and 50 yards next week, that's not improvement, and frankly, is embarrassing. The most important stat of course is whether the Bills win or not.

People need to start realizing that J.P. Losman may NEVER get it. I hope this isn't the case. However, he constantly needs to be monitored, because this is a hard-knocks league, and to overcome adversity you need to have a lot of moxie. He's really at the crossroads of this season in my opinion. Over the next two games he needs to start improving and the Bills need to start winning again, or this season may get away from them AGAIN, and the veterans will NOT be happy about that. Plate -- J.P. J.P. -- Plate. Now step up to it.

Jon

Do you really think Holcomb gives the Bills a legitimate chance to win in the playoffs? The Bills need to find out whether Losman is an NFL QB or not. He gets at least 8 games.

Mudflap1
09-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Let me try to say the same thing in a different way.....

You give Losman a long look, a very good chance, lots of opportunities to pull it through. However, there comes a point during the season that, if he cannot pull it together, you have to say "he doesn't have it, at least this year, he's not ready." Yes, if he's playing all season the way he is playing now, Holcomb gives us a better chance to win. Frankly, anybody gives us a better chance to win. If he starts to improve, then the story changes. We don't know yet. In a way it's only the fourth week, but in the same way, it IS the fourth week. Those last two games are two games we aren't going to get back. Every game counts. Time for him to start to show some improvement and get his ass in gear. I said it all along, it was a BIG mistake to give Losman the starting QB job uncontested. They should've brought in a legitimate threat to the job and let them duke it out.

As for Wire, I'm not suggesting he play weak side linebacker the entire game. I'm saying that this team is last in run defense, the best defensive player is gone the whole season, and while his replacement can make some plays, he's also been directly responsible for giving up some big plays. Using Wire in some spot duty (at least to start) at linebacker might confuse the piss outta opposing offenses. I'm assuming, while no speedster, he has more speed than Crowell, and can cover backs and maybe some tight ends. He can also hit. Linebacker is his natural position, from college and high school. With Wire out there with Milloy, Vincent, and the rest of the DB's, defenses might wonder what's going on. It's a different look, and it might just be crazy enough to work. What's the worst that can happen, he lets up a 53-yard run? We're already doing that. At least the guy can hit and tackle. Give him a shot on some plays and see what happens, he might surprise us.

As for Verba, no, he shouldn't be signed for $5 million a year. Why would we do that? Why would he have the advantage in bargaining position? I'm sure at this point, in the middle of the season, this guy would take a lot less to get a salary and play somewhere. $1 million or $2 million looks a lot better than zero right now. Maybe he'll light a fire under Mike Williams' ass. If you can get him for the right price, bring him in.

As for Mike Williams, if he doesn't deliver, then yes, you say "you're taking a pay cut, or you're outta here!" He's not worth $9 million a year! We could get countless veterans for much less to play as well as he has been. He either gets it together, or he deserves to take it in the shorts. Right now, he's not untouchable. Very simple, just like any other job. You don't earn your pay, you take less or you're gone.

Did I say to rush Parrish back when he's not healthy? When he's ready, get the guy in there and play him. Don't play him 2 plays. Go three wide and throw him the freakin' football. Maybe it'll spark something. Like I said, it appeared Losman had some chemistry with him in camp.

Jon

mysticsoto
09-28-2005, 01:25 PM

Jon
You're absolutely right, JP may never get it. But after 3 games, I'm not ready to make that judgement and none of us should be ready to do so yet. We are 1-2. Yes, his numbers have been atrocious in the last 2 losses. He had a problem figuring out the Cover 2 defense in TB and Atlanta played the same way since they saw it worked. So, Mularkey needs to have Gray throw cover 2 constantly at JP in practice (with variations and all) so JP can get used to it and figure it out. It will also probably mean that Reed needs to step up across the middle since he will most likely have open space - but Reed is not fast, so he needs to find a way to get open more. JP on the other hand needs to practice those shots he missed against our receivers to make sure he can execute them better in the real game. Right now, he has stuff to work on, and is far from the point of calling him a flop. Ryan Leaf was a flop - and JP is no Ryan Leaf.

Mudflap1
09-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Geez, I never said to shoot the guy on sight.......

Let's hope he starts to read defenses this week (like the entire left side of the field! Anybody notice he looks totally rattled when he sits in the pocket, and when he's not in the pocket he runs like a deer to the right and throws about 7-15 yards to the right? He also looks at 1, maybe 2 receivers max. He doesn't look off anybody. Not too hard to defend at this point).

Jon

The_Philster
09-28-2005, 03:37 PM
Why, so JP has even less time to scan the field?actually, he'd be able to scan the field even more since when you're in shotgun, you have to take your eyes off the defense long enough to catch the ball

MarvLevy
09-28-2005, 03:42 PM
seems as if this system doesnt let a qb go nuts or it doesnt let an offensive player showcase all his skills. ie..look at Drew in Dallas. he is throwing for 300+..hardly did it in Buffalo.

Stewie
09-29-2005, 07:23 AM
actually, he'd be able to scan the field even more since when you're in shotgun, you have to take your eyes off the defense long enough to catch the ball

No way dude. If you're in shotgun, you can see things to the left of center much, much better than if you have to drop back and set up. Of course for a lefty, that goes for things right of center.

frank74
09-29-2005, 10:55 AM
slant patterns, crossing routes and any play that requires a 3 to 5 step drop also requires time, and losman is not getting much. pass blocking is an issue and needs to be addressed. i do think more screen passes to willis and play action passes to our tight ends would help.

pintonick96
09-29-2005, 12:02 PM
3-4 would be out of the quesiton. A hybrid into it brought in over a month or so might happen, but to change the entire defense is not gonna happen. We need to sotp bring the blitz so much now because we wont have Spikes to cover for us. On offense se just have to get some rhythm. I see that happening against a TERRIBLE Saint defense.

Mudflap1
09-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Can't go 3-4. Why put TWO inexperienced linebackers in the game after we lose Spikes?

Jon

Mudflap1
10-09-2005, 06:15 PM
#4, #6, #7, and #10 were done today.

Jon

Cntrygal
10-09-2005, 06:21 PM
4. Don't be fearful to change quarterbacks if Losman cannot perform in the next two games or so. I'm rooting for the guy, but we can't sacrifice the whole season and continue to tolerate losing because he's simply not ready yet to read defenses. He needs to show SOME improvement. (in a related note, how bad is Shane Matthews if he is currently THIRD string on this team? I mean, is he THAT much worse than Losman and Holcomb? Disturbing.....)5. Sign Ross Verba.
7. Run Willis even more.8. Sign Nate Clements.
Jon

#4, #6, #7, and #10 were done today.

Jon

I was thrilled with 7 & 10.

Mudflap1
10-09-2005, 09:18 PM
It wasn't rocket scientry. Run the ball (which became extremely predictable after awhile -- ever hear of play action pass on first down and run on second?), throw short passes, and you can move the ball! When Parrish comes back, hopefully this can make things even easier, as Josh Reed is mediocre at best. I'm glad they did stick to the run for once, but they can't be completely predictable like they were in the 2nd half.

The no-huddle was great too. With this offense, you can still chew up a lot of clock AND catch the opposing defense off-guard with the no-huddle.

If only Mularkey can carry over how good we look in 1st quarters into the 2nd half.....

Jon