• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mudflap1
    Next Question!
    • Nov 2004

Top Ten Constructive Ways to Correct Our Troubles

1. Restructure Mike Williams' contract. $9+ million is a joke right now for this guy.
    2. Restructure Eric Moulds' contract.
    3. Get Parrish in lineup ASAP. Maybe SOMEBODY will get open enough to hit. At least J.P. seemed to have SOME sort of rhythm with him in camp.
    4. Don't be fearful to change quarterbacks if Losman cannot perform in the next two games or so. I'm rooting for the guy, but we can't sacrifice the whole season and continue to tolerate losing because he's simply not ready yet to read defenses. He needs to show SOME improvement. (in a related note, how bad is Shane Matthews if he is currently THIRD string on this team? I mean, is he THAT much worse than Losman and Holcomb? Disturbing.....)
    5. Sign Ross Verba.
    6. Use Jason Peters more at Tight End to have 'six offensive linemen.' We're not throwing to the tight ends anyway, might as well put a load in there who can block.
    7. Run Willis even more.
    8. Sign Nate Clements.
    9. Use Coy Wire in a quasi-linebacker position since Spikes is out. At least the guy will hit somebody (he certainly can't cover). It's his natural position.
    10. Throw more dump off passes and screen passes. Losman isn't capable of intermediate, complicated reads yet. Throw more to Willis.

Jon
  • ryven
    • Jan 2003

Re: Top Ten Constructive Ways to Correct Our Troubles

Originally posted by Mudflap1
    1. Restructure Mike Williams' contract. $9+ million is a joke right now for this guy.
    3. Get Parrish in lineup ASAP. Maybe SOMEBODY will get open enough to hit. At least J.P. seemed to have SOME sort of rhythm with him in camp.
    4. Don't be fearful to change quarterbacks if Losman cannot perform in the next two games or so. I'm rooting for the guy, but we can't sacrifice the whole season and continue to tolerate losing because he's simply not ready yet to read defenses. He needs to show SOME improvement. (in a related note, how bad is Shane Matthews if he is currently THIRD string on this team? I mean, is he THAT much worse than Losman and Holcomb? Disturbing.....)
    5. Sign Ross Verba.
    6. Use Jason Peters more at Tight End to have 'six offensive linemen.' We're not throwing to the tight ends anyway, might as well put a load in there who can block.
    7. Run Willis even more.
    8. Sign Nate Clements.
    9. Use Coy Wire in a quasi-linebacker position since Spikes is out. At least the guy will hit somebody (he certainly can't cover). It's his natural position.
    10. Throw more dump off passes and screen passes. Losman isn't capable of intermediate, complicated reads yet. Throw more to Willis.

Jon

I agree for the most part but I dont thinks we need Verba, but you hit the nail on the head we are not using our TE's enough so why not put Peters out there and let Willis do his thing.

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

Awesome analysis and ideas!!!

You should post more often!

Comment

• Mudflap1
        Next Question!
        • Nov 2004

Verba would be good as a reserve. German ain't cuttin' it as a replacement to Williams. And if Williams is injury-proned and/or is struggling mightily, put Verba in! At least he's a veteran who can play.

It's very simple. The Bills need to find a way to win this next game. I don't care how they do it. I don't care if Losman is 0-20 with 5 interceptions. I don't care if McGahee has 25 carries for 25 yards. They need to kick, scratch, and claw their way to a win. Period. If, no, WHEN they win, that's all I care about. I want to know/see how they are going to get this done. A MUST WIN.

It's time to bury all of the "well, he'll struggle" or "we'll see how it goes" or "well, the Saints are going to be at their first game in Texas." Buffalo must find some way to WIN. That's all that matters.

BTW thanks for the props Pride.

Jon

Comment

• footballhottie
          • Feb 2005

I say we stop running the god damn shot gun.

The OG attention whore. 18 Billszone years strong

Comment

• ryven
            • Jan 2003

Verba would be good as a reserve. German ain't cuttin' it as a replacement to Williams. And if Williams is injury-proned and/or is struggling mightily, put Verba in! At least he's a veteran who can play.

It's very simple. The Bills need to find a way to win this next game. I don't care how they do it. I don't care if Losman is 0-20 with 5 interceptions. I don't care if McGahee has 25 carries for 25 yards. They need to kick, scratch, and claw their way to a way. Period. If, no, WHEN they win, that's all I care about. I want to know/see how they are going to get this done. A MUST WIN.

It's time to bury all of the "well, he'll struggle" or "we'll see how it goes" or "well, the Saints are going to be at their first game in Texas." Buffalo must find some way to WIN. That's all that matters.

BTW thanks for the props Pride.

Jon

I did not see the game I didn't realize that Williams was out then as far as Verba is concerned I agree with you then.

Comment

• Mudflap1
              Next Question!
              • Nov 2004

11. At certain times, run more no-huddle. I know this goes against the beefeater, smash-mouth approach, but if there are 8 men in the box slamming McGahee and the line, I would put Peters out there with 3 wide (Moulds and Evans obviously, and then hopefully Parrish soon) and run all kinds of tricky stuff like play action roll outs, dumpoffs, QB keepers, and take a few shots down field if need be. Oddly enough, Losman looks more comfortable in the hurry-up spread at times than he does with the regular offense. This should not be the rule, but be done as a change up if the regular offense isn't working. They can't just sit there and let 8-9 guys come into the box (like Tampa) and just take it in the chops. Make adjustments accordingly. If Losman is capable of hitting 10 yard pass patterns with the spread, the defense won't be able to defend the standard offense and the no-huddle.

Jon

Comment

• ryven
                • Jan 2003

I also think cross routes would help the WR's get open more. I see tampa doing it alot and it is very effective.

Comment

• Typ0
                  honey pie
                  • Jul 2002

I'd like to know why Willis isn't catching more passes myself. I think this is key to our success to be honest and I don't know why it's not happening considering he has the skills.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                    Roways rooking ahread!
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Typ0
                    I'd like to know why Willis isn't catching more passes myself. I think this is key to our success to be honest and I don't know why it's not happening considering he has the skills.
                    You have to have someone able to pass the ball in the first place.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

JP can pass the ball. I've seen him have lightening accuracy. He's got to get in a place where he has the confidence to throw that ball. He's not there. But this is a different issue...Willis should be a weapon in our passing game. I understand what you are saying...but we aren't missing throws to willis we are just plain not throwing him the ball.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                        Maybe?
                        • Oct 2003

5. Sign Ross Verba.
                        7. Run Willis even more.
                        8. Sign Nate Clements.

Jon
                        Except for Verba (I'm on the fence), I agree with the rest (I've been harping on #1 for a long time and it HAS to be done). I like the Peters/Coy idea alot (I never would have come up with those).

Good post!

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

I have to add a constructive idea...

Someone please show Troy Vincent how to properly tackle a running back.

Comment

• finsrclowns
                            • Apr 2004

Does anyone know how long does Mike Williams contract has left?
                            finsrclowns

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                              Maybe?
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by finsrclowns
                              Does anyone know how long does Mike Williams contract has left?
                              Too long.

Seriously though, I would like to know as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X