PDA

View Full Version : Pass Interference Needs to be Redefined

Buffarama
01-07-2003, 09:08 AM
PI calls are ruining the game. The penalty of spotting the ball doesn't need to be changed, but PI needs to be a blatant attempt to impose with the receiver.
I can't stand this incidental contact 45 yard penalties given to teams throwing up jumpballs. That's just not football.
If a guy knocks a receiver down, call it. If they bump shoulders running or going up for a ball, it should not be called. It needs to be a clear obvious attempt or severe contact.

Kelly The Dog
01-07-2003, 09:12 AM
I don't know why on earth they simply don't treat it like roughing or running into the kicker. If it's blatant and intentional, give them the ball at the spot of the foul. If it's incidental, give them a five yard penalty and replay the down, no automatic first.

LtBillsFan66
01-07-2003, 09:48 AM
You are right buffarama. What I want is for them to forgive PI when the pass is terribly underthrown and there is contact when the receiver tries to come back to the ball. There is usually contact when the coverage is tight - so you are rewarding the offense for a bad pass and penalizing the defense for excellent coverage.

Earthquake Enyart
01-07-2003, 10:21 AM
PI should be reviewable. No reason why it shouldn't be.

Pride
01-07-2003, 10:52 AM
Agree EE

Captain gameboy
01-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne
What I want is for them to forgive PI when the pass is terribly underthrown and there is contact when the receiver tries to come back to the ball. There is usually contact when the coverage is tight - so you are rewarding the offense for a bad pass and penalizing the defense for excellent coverage.

Fully agree. I've used these exact words months ago. It's gotten so bad that you can see teams use the underthrown ball as a intentional play. Get a one on one with a good "rebound type" receiver, get him alone with a DB and underthrow. He'll either catch it or get a call all the time. The NFL tightened up PI calls a few years ago to open up the game and for ratings reasons. It's gone too far. It's nearly impossible to be a DB now, and in my view, its hurting the game.

Buffarama
01-07-2003, 12:10 PM
Mot agree it does hurt the game. It's the equivalent of passing out 3 penalty shots per team every hockey game.