PDA

View Full Version : PFW: Bills’ defensive revamping to start with front seven

Jeff1220
01-07-2003, 11:57 AM
From www.profootballweekly.com
-Bills’ defensive revamping to start with front seven

Buffalo

Don’t expect the Bills to stand pat on defense, even though a late-season resurgence of the squad seems to have saved the job of defensive coordinator Jerry Gray. We hear the team is likely not to chase hard after OLB Keith Newman, who had eight sacks in 2000 but fell into a reduced role over the last two seasons. The Bills’ biggest needs are in the front seven, where they could use two better outside ’backers, a defensive tackle and a more potent pass-rushing defensive end. Two late 2002 signings, LB Greg Favors and DE Marcus Jones, could help in those areas. Buffalo also might be in the running for some of the bigger names in free agency, such as Bengals LB Takeo Spikes (provided he is not slapped with the franchise tag), since general manager Tom Donahoe and his staff have done a very nice job bringing the Bills back from salary-cap hell. Buffalo will have some money to work with and could have even more if it is unable to re-sign WR Peerless Price, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Earthquake Enyart
01-07-2003, 11:59 AM
There's insight. $3.95 please. :shakeno:

Ebenezer
01-07-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
Buffalo will have some money to work with and could have even more if it is unable to re-sign WR Peerless Price, who is an unrestricted free agent.

This is what makes me bang my head against the wall!! How do we get more money to spend if we don't sign Peerless Price...the amount stays the same if we don't sign him. We do not get a bonus for letting him sign with another team...

:rolleyes: amateurs

Jeff1220
01-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer

This is what makes me bang my head against the wall!! How do we get more money to spend if we don't sign Peerless Price...the amount stays the same if we don't sign him. We do not get a bonus for letting him sign with another team...

:rolleyes: amateurs

I think they're just trying to say that there'd be more money to work with if he isn't re-signed than if he is.
BTW, I just posted this because of the conflicting reports about Jerry Gray. Is he safe or not?

ublinkwescore
01-07-2003, 12:28 PM
It's really hard to say - how long do you think our D personell will need to adapt to any kind of D scheme Dick Lebeau will bring in?

If his style of D is quite similar to what we're already running, we may bring him in, and make Lebeau our DC, and demote JG to LB/DB coach.

Those are just my thoughts.

Either way, I like where this team is heading.

ArcticWildMan
01-07-2003, 12:32 PM
I don't see what's wrong with their statement, Eb. If we don't spend money on a new contract for Peerless, we'll have money to spend elsewhere. Seems logical to me.

Mr. Miyagi
01-07-2003, 12:38 PM
From www.profootballweekly.com
-Bills’ defensive revamping to start with front seven

Buffalo

Don’t expect the Bills to stand pat on defense, even though a late-season resurgence of the squad seems to have saved the job of defensive coordinator Jerry Gray. We hear the team is likely not to chase hard after OLB Keith Newman, who had eight sacks in 2000 but fell into a reduced role over the last two seasons. The Bills’ biggest needs are in the front seven, where they could use two better outside ’backers, a defensive tackle and a more potent pass-rushing defensive end. Two late 2002 signings, LB Greg Favors and DE Marcus Jones, could help in those areas. Buffalo also might be in the running for some of the bigger names in free agency, such as Bengals LB Takeo Spikes (provided he is not slapped with the franchise tag), since general manager Tom Donahoe and his staff have done a very nice job bringing the Bills back from salary-cap hell. Buffalo will have some money to work with and could have even more if it is unable to re-sign WR Peerless Price, who is an unrestricted free agent.
Yeah well, where's the news here? Haven't we all been talking about this in the past month and a half???

Jeff1220
01-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Geez, just hang me for posting some info I found. It's a brand new article and conflicts with recent reports that LeBeau is coming in as DC - that's why I posted it. Next time I'll just keep my "useless" information to myself.

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 01:19 PM
I don't think they're busting on you, Jeff. Just PFW. Thanks for the info.

ArcticWildMan
01-07-2003, 01:22 PM
I second Log's sentiments. We can never have enough information like this on the site!!

:up:

Jeff1220
01-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Oh, so you're trying to say that I'm just too sensitive then, right? :)

lordofgun
01-07-2003, 01:27 PM
exactly :lol:

justasportsfan
01-07-2003, 01:29 PM
Season's over. The boards are now open for rumors, assumptions , speculations and Miss Cleo.

Hopefully no one starts false " Breaking News" right MIke22282828?

TigerJ
01-07-2003, 10:22 PM
WGR was reporting some rumors that Aldridge, the linebacker coach who was dumped argued unsuccessfully that Keith Newman was being underutilized and should be used in the pass rush a lot more. Trouble is he was right. I would hate to think he got dumped for having a correct opinion.

Earthquake Enyart
01-08-2003, 08:43 AM
No. I was busting Jeff.

WG
01-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
I second Log's sentiments. We can never have enough information like this on the site!!

:up:

WooHoo!

:D LOL

Geez, just hang me for posting some info I found. It's a brand new article and conflicts with recent reports that LeBeau is coming in as DC - that's why I posted it. Next time I'll just keep my "useless" information to myself.

LOL

mchurchfie
01-08-2003, 08:55 AM
:lol::rofl: