X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sportsuser101
    • Feb 2005

Bills/49ers talking trade about Winborn

Not sure if its been posted but Mike Francesca from Mike and the Maddog radio show on WFAN in NY said that the Cowboys contacted the 49ers about Jamie Winborn but were told that the Bills were close to acquiring him and were rebuffed. I was kinda suprised by that especially when you consider Winborn is no better then what we have in Posey. Not positive but I think Winborn makes a good chunk too. Not sure why the Cowboys would want another LBer either. I hope its BS.
    Dareus - 1st Round Pick
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Bills/49ers talking trade about Winborn

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
    Not sure if its been posted but Mike Francesca from Mike and the Maddog radio show on WFAN in NY said that the Cowboys contacted the 49ers about Jamie Winborn but were told that the Bills were close to acquiring him and were rebuffed. I was kinda suprised by that especially when you consider Winborn is no better then what we have in Posey. Not positive but I think Winborn makes a good chunk too. Not sure why the Cowboys would want another LBer either. I hope its BS.
    Personally I love the move. You wont hear me ever complain about upgrading talent. He starts for us in place of TKO while he recovers and then battles with Posey fro the job. At worst he is an upgrade at the backup OLB spot, at best he unseats Posey, who never has impressed me that much by the way, in 2006

Get er done. It a very important position and Im not sure Crowell can handle it all season.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

what does SF want for him?
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• X-Era
        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
        Thats a geat question.

I could argue that the 7th overall pick should be worth a 2nd, but hell we could only get a 3rd for Henry and NE fessed a 2nd for Dillon.

I say its not much more than a 4th, maybe a 3rd but thats really stretching it.

So we lose a 4th but gained a 3rd from Henry and land Winborn. I cant complain about that at all. Winborn right now today is better than any 4th rounder.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Sportsuser101
          He is definitely available and will be traded somewhere soon. The 49ers have sent Winborn home until they can trade him, so he doesn't get hurt. He is not happy because he lost his starting job to Andre' Carter in San Francisco's new 3-4 defense.

Winborn is not a good fit for a 3-4 team, but he is a very good fit as a WSLB in a 4-3 look. He is undersized, but very fast. his nickname is "speed limit", because he is so fast and wears number 55. He is a great chase player who can be very disruptive and make a lot of tackles. He isn't real big, so he isn't good at shedding blocks (which is why he doesn't fit well in a 3-4 look), but he is very good at chasing plays sideline-to-sideline.

The only criticism of Winborn is he plays a littel out-of-control sometimes and over-runs plays, and he has struggled to stay healthy. He hasn't played a full 16 game season yet in his NFL career, and has only played 43 games in 5 seasons (so he has averaged playing half a season per year for 5 years).

I like him a lot as a player in the right scheme, one that lets him take advantage of his great speed. He does comes with big injury questions, however.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Cond 2006 IMO

His 2005 salary is $1.75 million with 2006-2009 at $3 million per

His cap hit for 2005 with the Bills would be about $1.44 million if acquired before this weekend. That amount decreases by a little more than $100,000/week

This would be a good move

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
              Given his injury history, the fact they pretty much have to deal him (of have him sitting on the bench and maybe disrupting chemistry) and the fact he is early into a long-term deal that pays him pretty well, I imagine it will be a middle-round pick.

Winborn is on the books for $1.75M in salary this season, so the team that trades for him will inherit about $1.4M on the cap this year. Also, he has salaries of $3M per season through 2009, along with probably roster bonuses as part of a lucrative extension he signed.

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

AssetsVery fast. Can rush the passer or drop into coverage. Aggressive and smart, with a hitter's mentality.

Flaws

Likes to gamble. Makes mental errors. Not a big, stout run stuffer.
                Career potentialAdequate starter.

I picked this up off a tsn.ca, eh. He looks like he could be a good fit in Gray's system. Get 'em.

Comment

• casdhf
                  • Jul 2002

on a scheme built around speed, we probably could use him. But, on the other hand, he's a 49er reject? damn
                  Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                  cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

I'd be surprised if we got Winborn. If the Bills were planning on getting Winborn, why did they activate Liam Ezekiel from the PS? That would mean they have to let somebody else go...

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

you know this is the exact type of move td likes to make..

isnt posey and/or fletch a FA next year?

maybe they are planning on putting spikes back in the middle where he played in cincy and winborn stays outside.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

I like this move!

Comment

• camelcowboy
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by casdhf
                          on a scheme built around speed, we probably could use him. But, on the other hand, he's a 49er reject? damn
                          He is a niner reject but look at it this way, Linebacker is the strongest postion on the niner team. They have a real good group, so i like the move

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by casdhf
                            Not at all. He's a little undersized to play in a 3-4. The 49ers actually are converting a young defensive end into LB which is moving Winborn to the bench. Winborn says he's good enough to start and his coach agrees but just not in his 3-4 scheme. That's why they are giving him an oppertunity to go play somewhere else.

The biggest knock I see on him is his ability to stay healthy.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

what is the deal with his contract? he was a first round pick? then resigned a second deal recently?
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X