PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Smith in the backfield

OpIv37
09-29-2005, 06:58 AM
To me, this is the epitome of our predictable play calling. Now don't get me wrong- I like the way MM throws wrinkles into the offense and I think it keeps the defense guessing. This formation, however, doesnt.

In Mularkey's 19 games as head coach, only two plays have been run with Smith in the backfield and they're both runs to the left- the fake timeout/direct snap play and the pitchout to the left that they ran this past week on 3rd and 4.

Now, I'm just a fan. I watch each game only once (although when they win I catch the highlights on ESPN as many times as possible), yet I was able to pick up on this. Imagine opposing defenses, that have film rooms and days of staff hours devoted entirely to studying their opponent.

Mularkey needs to do two things:
1. Run the plays with Evans, McGahee, S Williams or other personnel that is on the field more frequently
2. Develop some "normal" plays (passes and McGahee runs, for example) with Smith in the backfield so it's not so obvious what they will do when he comes in.

If he's not going to do it, he might as well just throw out any play that has Smith in the backfield because the defense will be prepared and will tee off against the run.

X-Era
09-29-2005, 07:08 AM
To me, this is the epitome of our predictable play calling. Now don't get me wrong- I like the way MM throws wrinkles into the offense and I think it keeps the defense guessing. This formation, however, doesnt.

In Mularkey's 19 games as head coach, only two plays have been run with Smith in the backfield and they're both runs to the left- the fake timeout/direct snap play and the pitchout to the left that they ran this past week on 3rd and 4.

Now, I'm just a fan. I watch each game only once (although when they win I catch the highlights on ESPN as many times as possible), yet I was able to pick up on this. Imagine opposing defenses, that have film rooms and days of staff hours devoted entirely to studying their opponent.

1. Run the plays with Evans, McGahee, S Williams or other personnel that is on the field more frequently
2. Develop some "normal" plays (passes and McGahee runs, for example) with Smith in the backfield so it's not so obvious what they will do when he comes in.

If he's not going to do it, he might as well just throw out any play that has Smith in the backfield because the defense will be prepared and will tee off against the run. Ya know, to me its a bit more of us throwing in Shelton, having average run blocking and the D then stacks the line. We get virtually no yardage and are forced to go with Losman throwing to WR's who seem to take a long time to turn around for the ball and are thoroughly covered. I would gut that scheme and go to:

1 back sets, yes I love Shelton but adding another WR or TE puts the secondary OFF the line and opens the run.
Zone blocking which lets McGahee pick his hole, prevents the straightforward run rush, and allows for effectrive bootlegs and misdirections.
And quick slants, short passes, which will force the secondary to paly thight to the line which Evans then burns them long and we open up our pass.

And no, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night

Stewie
09-29-2005, 07:17 AM

If he's not going to do it, he might as well just throw out any play that has Smith in the backfield because the defense will be prepared and will tee off against the run.

I saw more than two plays with him in the backfield just last week. I don't think you're paying close attention.

chubluv
09-29-2005, 08:18 AM
I think it was agreat play call Smith just fell down or he would of had a first down and alot more.