PDA

View Full Version : OT: No Sabres on DirecTV

bills_phan
09-29-2005, 02:26 PM
I know this is not about the Bills, but this issue won't get the exposure it needs on the Sabres board. I saw this posted on the Sabres message board and posted it in the Sabres forum here as well. Mods, please leave it here for a bit so that people will see it.

Call the bastards!!!

I just got off the phone with DirecTV and was told that they have NO plans of showing Sabres games this year on MSG or any other station. I was told that, living in the Rochester area, I actually am in the Ranger's market. When I asked which market the Sabres are in, I was told that Buffalo does not reside in an NHL market. When I reminded them that the Sabres play IN Buffalo, I was given the run-around and told that they "just go by the zip code". The girl I talked to said that she has received NO calls about this issue and basically had no idea what I was talking about.

Again, DirecTV has NO plans of showing the Sabres games this year on MSG or any other station.

I threatened to switch to Time Warner Cable and that did not seem to bother them. I would imagine that if more people did the same, they might be bothered enough to do something about the problem. Contact DirecTV and let them have it:

By email: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/glb/Form_Feedback.dsp

By phone: 1-800-494-4388

JD
09-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Ahhh, now we realize why our team get's no attention year after year. Go figure huh? Your best bet would be to call Channel 2, 4 and 7 and tell them your story...most likely they will show it this evening on the news or at 11pm.

Channel 2 "Tipline"...CHANNEL 4: Call4Action(or luke meretti's investigative reports-about people taking advantage of those connected to WNY)

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Are you sure it is for the season or just that one Preseason game?

Typ0
09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
I know this is not about the Bills, but this issue won't get the exposure it needs on the Sabres board. I saw this posted on the Sabres message board and posted it in the Sabres forum here as well. Mods, please leave it here for a bit so that people will see it.

Call the bastards!!!

I just got off the phone with DirecTV and was told that they have NO plans of showing Sabres games this year on MSG or any other station. I was told that, living in the Rochester area, I actually am in the Ranger's market. When I asked which market the Sabres are in, I was told that Buffalo does not reside in an NHL market. When I reminded them that the Sabres play IN Buffalo, I was given the run-around and told that they "just go by the zip code". The girl I talked to said that she has received NO calls about this issue and basically had no idea what I was talking about.

Again, DirecTV has NO plans of showing the Sabres games this year on MSG or any other station.

I threatened to switch to Time Warner Cable and that did not seem to bother them. I would imagine that if more people did the same, they might be bothered enough to do something about the problem. Contact DirecTV and let them have it:

I keep asking this...does that mean we aren't in the local market for Center Ice? I would call myself but I am on someone elses bill and I don't even know the account number.

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2005, 03:16 PM
I am thinking that Buffalo would get the MSG feeds for the Sabres.

lordofgun
09-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Oh well. At least I can listen on Sirius/XM.

bills_phan
09-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Are you sure it is for the season or just that one Preseason game?
Yes, I was told for the entire season. I spent about 45 minutes on the phone today confirming this with DirecTV. The opener will be on because we're playing the Islanders. That's it!

hammerbillsfan
09-29-2005, 03:23 PM
The Islanders :puke:

Stewie
09-29-2005, 03:24 PM
It's hockey. Who cares.

Go bills!

hammerbillsfan
09-29-2005, 03:25 PM
Move this to the Sabres zone!

bills_phan
09-29-2005, 03:25 PM
It's hockey. Who cares.

Go bills!
Why reply if you don't care?

Oh, I see...you want everyone to know that you don't like hockey. OK, great, but who cares?

bills_phan
09-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Move this to the Sabres zone!
Yes, let's complain about the Bills some more!

hammerbillsfan
09-29-2005, 03:28 PM
Yes, let's complain about the Bills some more!
Hey, it's what I do best. :lol:

bills_phan
09-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Hey, it's what I do best. :lol:
You've come to the right place!

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2005, 03:29 PM
MSG is the Ranger's station not the Islanders I thought.

Stewie
09-29-2005, 04:09 PM
awww, I got a negrep from poor little itty bitty hockey fan who got mad that his sport sucks!

go bills and move this garbage where it belongs

JD
09-29-2005, 04:09 PM

Oh, I see...you want everyone to know that you don't like hockey. OK, great, but who cares?
Just an ignorant fool maybe?

Stewie
09-29-2005, 04:12 PM

Because you spammed this in the bills zone. You said you put it here because it wouldn't get exposure elsewhere.

Care to guess why that is?

It's because hockey is about as popular as star jones.

JD
09-29-2005, 04:12 PM
awww, I got a negrep from poor little itty bitty hockey fan who got mad that his sport sucks!

go bills and move this garbage where it belongs
Don't just state that it sucks, give your reasons for it. You just saying that proves your an ignorant pos.

Stewie
09-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Don't just state that it sucks, give your reasons for it. You just saying that proves your an ignorant pos.

You're.

Admins, please inform our resident 12 year old to attack posts, not the poster.

Reasons hockey sucks:

There's no scoring.
Casual fans (all four of them) go to see fights, not the sport.
There's no scoring.
If you body check someone at top speed its legal, but oops put your stick out in the wrong way and it's a penalty
There's no scoring.
You can't take small kids to a hockey game without having to teach them what "drunk neaderthal" means
There's no scoring.

gannd
09-29-2005, 05:11 PM
That really sucks. Don't you guys have any local channels that carry games? We have almost every game covered on tv because in Edmonton and Calgary almost every game is sold out.

ps..I'm in Calgary but the Oilers are my team.

hammerbillsfan
09-29-2005, 05:20 PM
That's just not right. :rolleyes:

THATHURMANATOR
09-29-2005, 05:23 PM
That really sucks. Don't you guys have any local channels that carry games? We have almost every game covered on tv because in Edmonton and Calgary almost every game is sold out.

We had the Empire but the whole network went of business.

X-Era
09-29-2005, 05:31 PM

Call the bastards!!!

Why then would Sabres.com list the games as being on MSG? Your saying they dont know this?

X-Era
09-29-2005, 05:32 PM

any team with the word "flame" in it cant be good

X-Era
09-29-2005, 05:41 PM

Call the bastards!!!

here is the damn linky thingy from sabres.com:

http://pdf2html.spawncamp.net/pdf2html.php?url=http://www.sabres.com/pdf/2005-06_schedule.pdf

bills_phan
09-29-2005, 06:38 PM
here is the damn linky thingy from sabres.com:

http://pdf2html.spawncamp.net/pdf2html.php?url=http://www.sabres.com/pdf/2005-06_schedule.pdf
It's a DirecTV/MSG issue, not an MSG issue. The problem only affects DirecTV subscribers in the WNY area.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-29-2005, 06:42 PM
Television
The majority of the Sabres 2005-06 regular season schedule will be broadcast on MSG.

Currently, Buffalo Sabres games are not available on MSG Network for some satellite providers. Previously, the Sabres and Adelphia had entered into an agreement for Sabres games on the Empire Sports Network. After Adelphia shut down Empire Sports, they then subsequently subcontracted those broadcast rights to MSG Network. The agreement between the two companies allows for at least 75 Sabres games to be carried on the MSG Network.

The broadcasts will be available in Buffalo, Rochester and parts of Syracuse on basic cable services. The games will be televised unless a game will fall under NHL blackout restriction rules. MSG Network is currently available on all Time Warner Cable and Adelphia systems. MSG Network is currently in negotiations with satellite providers to remedy the situation. DirectTV currently carries MSG Network, while Dish Network does not. The Sabres and MSG Network will announce a complete broadcast schedule for the 2005-06 season in the coming weeks.

DirectTV :snicker:

bills_phan
09-29-2005, 06:43 PM
Because you spammed this in the bills zone. You said you put it here because it wouldn't get exposure elsewhere.

Care to guess why that is?

It's because hockey is about as popular as star jones.
Holy crap, who shoved a hockey stick up your a$$? It's not exactly *****ing about JP or the Bills D, but I think there's room on a BUFFALO Bills message board for an issue with the only other major league BUFFALO sports franchise if it helps said issue get some exposure. Nobody cares if you like hockey or what you think about the NHL, the Sabres or any of this, grammar cop.

I'm sure you can find something to ***** about in another thread. Go Away.

bills_phan
09-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Television
The majority of the Sabres 2005-06 regular season schedule will be broadcast on MSG.

Currently, Buffalo Sabres games are not available on MSG Network for some satellite providers. Previously, the Sabres and Adelphia had entered into an agreement for Sabres games on the Empire Sports Network. After Adelphia shut down Empire Sports, they then subsequently subcontracted those broadcast rights to MSG Network. The agreement between the two companies allows for at least 75 Sabres games to be carried on the MSG Network.

The broadcasts will be available in Buffalo, Rochester and parts of Syracuse on basic cable services. The games will be televised unless a game will fall under NHL blackout restriction rules. MSG Network is currently available on all Time Warner Cable and Adelphia systems. MSG Network is currently in negotiations with satellite providers to remedy the situation. DirectTV currently carries MSG Network, while Dish Network does not. The Sabres and MSG Network will announce a complete broadcast schedule for the 2005-06 season in the coming weeks.

DirectTV :snicker:
EXACTLY! That's why we should call or email and light a fire under DirecTV's a$$.

Email: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/glb/Form_Feedback.dsp

Phone: 1-800-494-4388

im4bflo
09-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Living in So. Cal., seeing the Sabres play is a rarity, and seeing them live playing the Ducks was a huge event, but this year, they're not coming!!! AWWWWWWWWWWWWW :hang:

gannd
09-29-2005, 07:05 PM
That's just not right. :rolleyes:Nah, moved here but I'm an Oilers fan by heart. Family had Oilers seasons tickets from 79-86 so I saw EVERY home game including all those stanley cup wins live. I think I missed 10 games in all that time.

And I've met 1/2 the guys back when I was a kid.

hammerbillsfan
09-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Nah, moved here but I'm an Oilers fan by heart. Family had Oilers seasons tickets from 79-86 so I saw EVERY home game including all those stanley cup wins live. I think I missed 10 games in all that time.

And I've met 1/2 the guys back when I was a kid.Sweet!
There is a few Oiler fans at my work.

Mahdi
09-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Well just to let you all know my Sens are killing the sabres 4-1!!

gannd
09-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Well just to let you all know my Sens are killing the sabres 4-1!!yes but your goalie could die of old age any sec.

Stewie
09-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Holy crap, who shoved a hockey stick up your a$$? It's not exactly *****ing about JP or the Bills D, but I think there's room on a BUFFALO Bills message board for an issue with the only other major league BUFFALO sports franchise if it helps said issue get some exposure. Nobody cares if you like hockey or what you think about the NHL, the Sabres or any of this, grammar cop.

I'm sure you can find something to ***** about in another thread. Go Away.

You're right. There is room on a Buffalo Bills message board for hockey. It's in the hockey forum. So why don't you follow your own advice and get the puck in there.

It's hilarious that you say nobody cares.... Face reality dude. Nobody cares about hockey.

pyrrhonist
09-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Living in So. Cal., seeing the Sabres play is a rarity, and seeing them live playing the Ducks was a huge event, but this year, they're not coming!!! AWWWWWWWWWWWWW :hang:

I think that's the true tragedy for me, too. Living in Central CA, I used to look forward to the CA tour the Sabres made every so many years, I could either drive to SJ, LA, or Anaheim to see them. Now, I'll be lucky seeing them 1 time per decade. :down:

Typ0
09-30-2005, 01:07 AM
can we stop the pissing and moaning about the thread please? if you guys want to have an arguement feel free to PM each other to your hearts content. Thanks!

Jan Reimers
09-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Won't most of the games be on Direct TV's Center Ice package, using the opponent's feed?

SkateZilla
09-30-2005, 08:10 AM
its A Regional Thing, Same Reason My Comcast Shows Washington Games But Not Philly Games...

NHL CENTER ICE

SabreEleven
09-30-2005, 11:07 AM
You're.

Reasons hockey sucks:

There's no scoring.
There's no scoring.
If you body check someone at top speed its legal, but oops put your stick out in the wrong way and it's a penalty
There's no scoring.
You can't take small kids to a hockey game without having to teach them what "drunk neaderthal" means
There's no scoring.
This shows that you have no idea what you are talking about, so you need to shut the **** up.

Myers57
09-30-2005, 01:19 PM
You're right. There is room on a Buffalo Bills message board for hockey. It's in the hockey forum. So why don't you follow your own advice and get the puck in there.

It's hilarious that you say nobody cares.... Face reality dude. Nobody cares about hockey.

I don't give a **** if you don't care about hockey. Why would you go out of your way to make a worthless statement in a thread about a topic you obviously don't care about? Just when you think the people on these boards are mature adults, you get this person truly showing how immature he can be.

JD
09-30-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't give a **** if you don't care about hockey. Why would you go out of your way to make a worthless statement in a thread about a topic you obviously don't care about? Just when you think the people on these boards are mature adults, you get this person truly showing how immature he can be.
I am going to :posrep: you every day until the season ends darryl.

Stewie
10-01-2005, 07:45 AM
This shows that you have no idea what you are talking about, so you need to shut the **** up.

So, which one of the points I made is wrong? Or are you just pissed you're a fan of a sport less popular than women's tennis?

hammerbillsfan
10-01-2005, 12:12 PM
So, which one of the points I made is wrong? Or are you just pissed you're a fan of a sport less popular than women's tennis?
Maybe where you live but not here. :rolleyes:

camelcowboy
10-04-2005, 09:00 AM
You're.

Reasons hockey sucks:

There's no scoring.
There's no scoring.
There's no scoring.
There's no scoring.
Paul i could say all that about the bills as well, except for the stick thing.

Typ0
10-04-2005, 10:15 AM
so what's the deal anyway? Are us DirecTV subscribers going to see the games?

bills_phan
10-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Still no deal yet. I emailed DirecTV again today and would encourage you all to do the same. Threatening to switch to cable seems to get their attention.

JD
10-04-2005, 12:41 PM
No clue, I heard on Channel 2 News that the Sabres are trying to work out a deal with directTV and other subscribers. Doesnt MSG have a spill off channel? Like a second channel for games not shown on the real station?

Stewie
10-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Paul i could say all that about the bills as well, except for the stick thing.

Apples and oranges (comparing a team to a sport.)

There's plenty of scoring at Bills games. Most of it is by the other team.

And when was the last time you saw players in a fistfight at an NFL game? The closest thing was the falcons eagles, and that wasn't even close to a 'fight.'

Unlike hockey, the NFL knows their sport can stand on it's own merits, and doesn't need two-bit side shows to attract casual fans.

Face it, hockey will always be popular in Canada and the -stans. And that's about it.
:blamelog:

SABuffalo786
10-04-2005, 01:08 PM
Yeah, there's lots of scoring in football if you make each score worth 7 points. :rolleyes:

I'd rather watch Rangers games for the rest of the season on MSG than a bunch of under-acheiving, fat, prima donnas in tights and body army play p*ssy rugby.

And that's not even counting the commercials and stoppages in play, oh, every 30 seconds. :rolleyes:

bills_phan
10-04-2005, 01:23 PM
Last I checked it's OK to like both hockey AND football - especially if you're from Buffalo and love Buffalo sports. Being from Buffalo and bashing one of the two major sports leagues that choose to have franchises here is not unlike being from Buffalo and loving the Dolphins. People just do it to get their rocks off by pissing of the real fans. It's such a childish thing to do.

If you're not from Buffalo or the surrounding area, who cares what you think - you're probably just a bandwagon Bills fan from the 90's anyway!

JD
10-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Yeah, there's lots of scoring in football if you make each score worth 7 points. :rolleyes:

I'd rather watch Rangers games for the rest of the season on MSG than a bunch of under-acheiving, fat, prima donnas in tights and body army play p*ssy rugby.

And that's not even counting the commercials and stoppages in play, oh, every 30 seconds. :rolleyes:
:lmao:
aahaahhaha :bf1:

JD
10-04-2005, 01:52 PM
If you're not from Buffalo or the surrounding area, who cares what you think - you're probably just a bandwagon Bills fan from the 90's anyway!
:hail:

djjimkelly
10-05-2005, 01:32 AM
im looking at the center ICE schedule right now and every sabres game is shown. i live in canada but have my directv from an address in UTAH ill be getting every sabres game as i get every bills game regardless of sellout from directv!

http://www.directvsports.com/Packages/NHLCenterIce/Schedule/

almost every sabres game will be on center ice!

SkateZilla
10-05-2005, 05:18 AM
say it with me guys...

NHL Center Ice

Typ0
10-05-2005, 05:45 AM
I'd get it but I live in buffalo and think they will be blacked out on center ice....or two games into the season I might get them on MSG. This situation is quite rediculous. Either way, because it's the islanders I think tonights game will be on no matter what.

Turf
10-05-2005, 06:32 AM
There is a channel 627 that has mysteriously shown up listing the Sabres Isles game tonight. Maybe this is the Sabres feed.

I emailed them again threatening to cancel my subscription and got the form letter back again:

Thanks for asking about the Buffalo Sabres on MSG. I know that Sabres hockey is important to you. Be assured that we are in negotiations with MSG in order to show the games on DIRECTV in your area, but we may not have a deal in place in time for the start of the season.

Thanks again for writing, we hope to have an announcement about the Sabres games soon.

Sincerely,

Brayden
DIRECTV Customer Service

Ebenezer
10-05-2005, 07:40 AM
so, as of right now the games are still not on DirectV right?

SkateZilla
10-05-2005, 07:42 AM
CHannel 673 is NHL Cneter Ice "GME6" Channel on my box...

i'd rather have MUCH Music Package than MSG...

Novacane
10-05-2005, 08:19 AM
im looking at the center ICE schedule right now and every sabres game is shown. i live in canada but have my directv from an address in UTAH ill be getting every sabres game as i get every bills game regardless of sellout from directv!

!

How do you do that? The reciever is supposed to be plugged into the phone line?

JD
10-05-2005, 10:48 AM
How do you do that? The reciever is supposed to be plugged into the phone line?
I'm wondering the same thing... :horror:

bills_phan
10-05-2005, 10:56 AM
I received this email this morning at 2:21 AM from DirecTV:

Dear Mr. xxx,

Thanks for asking about the Buffalo Sabres on MSG. I know that Sabres hockey is important to you. Be assured that we are in negotiations with MSG in order to show the games on DIRECTV in your area, but we may not have a deal in place in time for the start of the season.

If you need further assistance with your DIRECTV equipment or programming please let me know and I will have a representative contact you as soon as possible.

Thanks again for writing, we hope to have an announcement about the Sabres games soon.

Sincerely,

Maridette
DIRECTV Customer Service

Doesn't sound too promising...

SabreEleven
10-05-2005, 11:27 AM
The Sabres are on DishNetwork tonight. I wonder what station it will be. I'm hoping it is MSG with Rick if not, I'm going to be worried for the rest of the season.

Historian
10-05-2005, 01:11 PM
My grid shows tonight's game on 621 and 627. In fact its also being rebroadcast three other times, like Empire used to do.

For Friday and Monday, they're not listed on 621, and 627 just says "to be announced"

In the past, the games were on Empire, and if Center Ice was picking up Empire's feed for their package, that channel was open too.

We'll have to see what happens. I'll be darned if I'm going to upgrade my Adelphia just to watch the Sabres.

Historian
10-05-2005, 06:11 PM
NOTHING!

No game...on three different channels.

Of course, anyone else around the country can watch the game on the Centre Ice free preview...but we can't. We're blacked out in Buffalo.

Way to attract back the fans, NHL!

Typ0
10-05-2005, 06:11 PM
**** sucking mother ****ing *******s. at least I got to see the pregame show :( Brew pub is a block away I wonder if they have the game on.

Historian
10-05-2005, 06:15 PM
1-0 Sabres Dumont

Historian
10-05-2005, 06:17 PM
I've got a snowy little picture on the 50 dollar tv next to my computer. It's coming through despite the filter. (We have antenna service for 8 bucks) but it's not exactly what I had in mind.

Historian
10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
1-1

Typ0
10-05-2005, 06:34 PM
I've got a snowy little picture on the 50 dollar tv next to my computer. It's coming through despite the filter. (We have antenna service for 8 bucks) but it's not exactly what I had in mind.

what channel?

Historian
10-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Its on Adelphia channel 28

Typ0
10-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I don't even get the ****ing snowy picture. I get that cheap cable too....MSG is on channel 13 until the game starts :****ing*******s:

Historian
10-05-2005, 06:45 PM
1-1 after 1

Historian
10-05-2005, 06:47 PM
Both my little POS tvs get it in snowy, but the Hitachi gets nothing. I put GR 55 on for the sound.

FYI..my Bro is blacked out on Dish Network too, he's pissed.

helmetguy
10-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Channel surfing down here in rural Tioga Co., PA. Lo and behold, to my utter delight...THERE IT IS! Islanders at Sbers on MSG...with Rick the Degenerate doing the play-by-play. 2-1 Sabers (Briere).

Historian
10-05-2005, 07:29 PM
My Bro called DISH and they pointed him to some alternate channel, so now he has it.

I called DirecTV and they told me thay're having "problems" with "that game".

Idiots.

Whatever pen they're locked up in...I hope the Rigases are taking it in the ass tonight!

hammerbillsfan
10-05-2005, 08:08 PM
I get Senators-Leafs. :smile:

im4bflo
10-05-2005, 10:14 PM
I scored BIGTIME! I just found the game on radio, off the NHL.com,
and then, just searching around on tv, I found NHL Center Ice who played all the games to get people to sign up.
Watching the game for free, and listening to the Buffalo feed on the internet, yeah baby! GO SABRES!!!

Typ0
10-06-2005, 05:40 AM
So...the Sabres scored twice as many goals last night in one game as the Bills have TDs in four games huh?

:snicker:

JD
10-06-2005, 12:43 PM
So...the Sabres scored twice as many goals last night in one game as the Bills have TDs in four games huh?

:snicker:
Yea, but yet theres no scoring in hockey like some :loser: had claimed :lol:

bills_phan
10-06-2005, 10:41 PM
HA!

I just switched to Time Warner Cable and saved $5 per month. The beauty is that I told them I'm switching from DirecTV and they gave me a promotional rate for 2 YEARS. All, and I mean ALL the channels, Premiums, On Demand, etc... + Road Runner for $115 per month, again $5 less than I was paying with DirecTV with Road Runner.

Oh, I get all the MSG Sabres games too...SCREW DIRECTV!!! :band: :bf1:

bills_phan
05-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Face reality dude. Nobody cares about hockey.
At the risk of bringing up old *****t, does anybody care about hockey? :laugh: