PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hear this?

Patrick76777
09-29-2005, 03:24 PM
My bro was telling me that he heard that Sam Wyche said yesterday that they were going to take the reins off of Losman and let him play his game. I think they said something about how when Marino was a rookie they let him play and although he would throw 3 picks, he’d also throw 4 TD’s.

Was this actually said?

I hope so!

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2005, 03:25 PM
I hope playing his game means completing some passes downfield!

lordofgun
09-29-2005, 03:29 PM
I'd like to see him complete some short passes before he airs it out.

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2005, 03:31 PM
I'd like to see him complete some short passes before he airs it out.
Me too!

It must have been dumb to have the reins on him knowing he could only complete screen passes with them on!

The last buffalo fan
09-29-2005, 03:31 PM
I hope playing his game means completing some passes downfield!
:pray: God, please. The play calling has been awful, even a guy with my knowledge, could be more creative. So, if the guy has to improvise, I'm sure he'll be fine. Then again, you can pick your poison, legs or arm.

Devin
09-29-2005, 03:32 PM
Id like to see him complete anything.

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2005, 03:33 PM
I have a feeling with the reins off, his stats will look like this.

Passing:
3-11 for 9 yards
Rushing:
25 attempts for 85 yards

Ebenezer
09-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Id like to see him complete anything.
I agree.

Typ0
09-29-2005, 03:43 PM
they should have taken the reins off weeks ago. JP has been so hesitant and conservative. He seems so worried about erring on the cautious side that nothing is getting done. Screw that. We talked on and on about rookie mistakes...I'd much rather have him throw a few pics and get a chance to see what he can do than to see the entire offense spit and sputter all the time. To me, that would be dealing with rookie mistakes. Seeing him do nothing is not a rookie mistake it's incompetence.

Pride
09-29-2005, 03:46 PM
I thought that is what they did last week? They threw 2 bombs on the opening drive... I am pretty sure that is what they were trying to do... :idunno:

LtBillsFan66
09-29-2005, 03:48 PM
I just hope taking the reins off means NOT having all of those "near" INTs caught. Then he'll have 11ints and maybe 1 TD!

Patrick76777
09-29-2005, 04:29 PM
I thought that is what they did last week? They threw 2 bombs on the opening drive... I am pretty sure that is what they were trying to do... :idunno:

But that was it. Nothing over the middle. It was 2 bombs and 15 5 yard outs.

What good is that.

colin
09-29-2005, 04:37 PM
we had a similar problem last year, ralph said he was bored.

essentially we were too conservative, just going for the high percentage plays every down and getting jerked around.

they did do better when they passed deeper, but this is still a ball control O.

Michael82
09-29-2005, 04:45 PM
they should have taken the reins off weeks ago. JP has been so hesitant and conservative. He seems so worried about erring on the cautious side that nothing is getting done. Screw that. We talked on and on about rookie mistakes...I'd much rather have him throw a few pics and get a chance to see what he can do than to see the entire offense spit and sputter all the time. To me, that would be dealing with rookie mistakes. Seeing him do nothing is not a rookie mistake it's incompetence.
Great post, Typ0. I totally agree. I've been saying for a while that they need to open the playbook and give him more chances. You need to build his confidence and let him stop being soo damn worried about making mistakes. Until you do that, he's going to nervous as hell and will struggle. I hope they open up the game and even let him do some no-huddle. That would be a great way to take off the reigns. :up:

Typ0
09-29-2005, 04:45 PM
we had a similar problem last year, ralph said he was bored.

essentially we were too conservative, just going for the high percentage plays every down and getting jerked around.

they did do better when they passed deeper, but this is still a ball control O.

I couldn't disagree more. We've taken plenty of shots but haven't gotten it going. Not just the passes that Pride is talking about but there have been many plays we've tried to move the ball downfield in the passing game. We quickly forget how fast our receivers are when they get the ball when they aren't getting the ball. If anything, I take the fact that we aren't throwing to WM as indication we are committed to opening up all of the passing lanes to the receivers before we work him in there. But we need JP to connect on those series of plays first.

dominizzo
09-29-2005, 04:53 PM
My bro was telling me that he heard that Sam Wyche said yesterday that they were going to take the reins off of Losman and let him play his game. I think they said something about how when Marino was a rookie they let him play and although he would throw 3 picks, he’d also throw 4 TD’s.

Was this actually said?

I hope so!
:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

Take the reigns off? So he can have a 30 QB rating instead? I think he needs to be able to complete a 5 yard pass before you let him go hog wild. Loserman is too raw right now and needs to spend more time in the film study room, because obviously whatever he did this past summer did little to improve his ragged game.

Michael82
09-29-2005, 04:58 PM
I couldn't disagree more. We've taken plenty of shots but haven't gotten it going. Not just the passes that Pride is talking about but there have been many plays we've tried to move the ball downfield in the passing game. We quickly forget how fast our receivers are when they get the ball when they aren't getting the ball. If anything, I take the fact that we aren't throwing to WM as indication we are committed to opening up all of the passing lanes to the receivers before we work him in there. But we need JP to connect on those series of plays first.
They need to also involve the TEs. Losman needs to know that he has some good TEs to throw to if his receivers aren't open. Bledsoe used them a lot last year. Why can't Losman?

gannd
09-29-2005, 05:05 PM
I thought that is what they did last week? They threw 2 bombs on the opening drive... I am pretty sure that is what they were trying to do... :idunno:And he overthrew everything. He's NOT ready. Put in Holly.

NativeFin
09-29-2005, 05:11 PM
And he overthrew everything. He's NOT ready. Put in Holly.
well this could be a good week to do it for the bills, yet I'd pull on them reins waaayyy back when it comes to facing the Fins D.

X-Era
09-29-2005, 05:13 PM

Was this actually said?

I hope so!
All I know is that the offense aint working now. I wish someone who was at the Ralph would back me up on this: The WR's seemed to take forever to complete there routes and turn around and I can count on one hand how many times they got open.

Fine turn him lose, it cant be any worse. I will take turnovers if it means TD's. If anything we then have to just rely on our D more which was supposed to be the heart of the team anyway.

Id like to see what he can do, and it cant be good to hold him back if that what they are doing, all your doing is making him hesitate which stunts his growth. LIke I said Manning threw 8 INT's in his 1st 3 games, Ill take it if it means he ends up like Manning.

Ill tell you what, I seriously am not impressed with Willis so far who is a HUGE factor in making the O easier for Losman. He seriously goes down at the slightest touch and is even slipping on sure fire TD runs

Mudflap1
09-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Run well, do play action, roll outs, short passes, throw to McGahee, quick slants, maybe a flea flicker or two, run a little no huddle once in a while, take a handful of shots downfield.....

He needs to be able to throw 7 yards downfield and be able to hit somebody other than the cheerleaders out of bounds before he can "be let loose."

Jon

X-Era
09-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Run well, do play action, roll outs, short passes, throw to McGahee, quick slants, maybe a flea flicker or two, run a little no huddle once in a while, take a handful of shots downfield.....

He needs to be able to throw 7 yards downfield and be able to hit somebody other than the cheerleaders out of bounds before he can "be let loose."

Jon
Ohh I agree, but I just wonder if the coaches are keeping him on such a short leash that its actually not using his abilities (not that we have seen them yet, maybe thats the point)

ChaelTD
09-29-2005, 05:42 PM
[They need to also involve the TEs. Losman needs to know that he has some good TEs to throw to if his receivers aren't open. Bledsoe used them a lot last year. Why can't Losman?]

Bledsoe has always liked TEs, see Ben Coates in NE. Hopefully JP will start to use them a bit more, but personally I just want to see him get the ball to anyone who's open. If that means "taking the reins off". good.

MarvLevy
09-29-2005, 05:46 PM
i have 2 words...

LEE EVANS

The last buffalo fan
09-29-2005, 06:26 PM
All I know is that the offense aint working now. I wish someone who was at the Ralph would back me up on this: The WR's seemed to take forever to complete there routes and turn around and I can count on one hand how many times they got open.

Fine turn him lose, it cant be any worse. I will take turnovers if it means TD's. If anything we then have to just rely on our D more which was supposed to be the heart of the team anyway.

Id like to see what he can do, and it cant be good to hold him back if that what they are doing, all your doing is making him hesitate which stunts his growth. LIke I said Manning threw 8 INT's in his 1st 3 games, Ill take it if it means he ends up like Manning.

Ill tell you what, I seriously am not impressed with Willis so far who is a HUGE factor in making the O easier for Losman. He seriously goes down at the slightest touch and is even slipping on sure fire TD runs
Jp, you are one of my very favorite posters in here, and all the time I agree with you, except this time and about WM. I have been watching the games lately, and the guy has been hittied hard, so hard that even the last two cb that "hit" him, came out of the games (las two games even) for a few plays. I said he has to share the blame 50-50 with the Oline on it. Also about the Wr, you are right, you don't need to be at the Ralph, to realize that they are not helping either to JP.

You are good my friend, good posting all the time.

finaddict
09-29-2005, 06:42 PM
IMO he is doing what an inexperienced player does. He was much overrated going into this season and now everyone is dissappointed to say the least. Give him some time. Also IMO the Bills have more to worry about then how good is the QB anyway.

Meathead
09-29-2005, 06:44 PM
They might as well let him play his own game cuz what they did the last two weeks sure isn't working at all.

Either way the truth is if he doesn't perform this week it's Kellytime. A loss this week means they'd have to go 9-3 the rest of the way to have a good shot at the playoffs. No way they're going to do that with Losman so they might as well see now if he can make it work his way.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this came up in discussions on whether to yank him and give Holcomb a shot now or now. It sounds like a "well before we pull him we should let him try to play his own game instead of ours." It's a valid point.

FinNasty23
09-29-2005, 09:07 PM
They might as well let him play his own game cuz what they did the last two weeks sure isn't working at all.

Either way the truth is if he doesn't perform this week it's Kellytime. A loss this week means they'd have to go 9-3 the rest of the way to have a good shot at the playoffs. No way they're going to do that with Losman so they might as well see now if he can make it work his way.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this came up in discussions on whether to yank him and give Holcomb a shot now or now. It sounds like a "well before we pull him we should let him try to play his own game instead of ours." It's a valid point.
Dont you guys think it will damage his confidence if you pull him?

Nasty

Michael82
09-29-2005, 11:56 PM
Dont you guys think it will damage his confidence if you pull him?

Nasty
I do. That's why I wouldn't pull him. I'd just take the growing pains with him.

Mitchy moo
09-30-2005, 12:11 AM
I'm in pain watching him right now and it's growing.

Tinboy
09-30-2005, 02:23 AM
Well the Saint's D sound like a good team to do something like that againts and it could work us. If we have a QB that's a rookie but also irrational the other teams will have a much tougher time defending againts us.

mybills
09-30-2005, 05:47 AM
Was this actually said?

Good question, and I'd like to know, too. Not one of these posters answered it. :shakeno:

Tinboy
09-30-2005, 06:36 AM
Good question, and I'd like to know, too. Not one of these posters answered it. :shakeno:

Does that matter? This is a discussion board...

There are topics about Holcomb for starter although nobody in the Bills staff have talked about that.

Patrick76777
09-30-2005, 06:51 AM
:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

Take the reigns off? So he can have a 30 QB rating instead? I think he needs to be able to complete a 5 yard pass before you let him go hog wild. Loserman is too raw right now and needs to spend more time in the film study room, because obviously whatever he did this past summer did little to improve his ragged game.

I don't pay attn: to silly smack talk, it's for kids.

Patrick76777
09-30-2005, 06:53 AM

Sure, 291 yards rushing in 3 games for a 4.7 yard average. Downright awful!

I mean he's only on pace for 1550 yards rushing. And we only gave him the ball 13 times in the Tampa Bay game.

Patrick76777
09-30-2005, 06:59 AM

Jon

No, you're dead wrong. They have him playing scared. They took a QB who played one way his whole life and said, “Don’t play that way any more!” “Don’t scramble, we’ll roll you out. Just throw these short passes BUT for the love of god, don’t throw picks. Our Scary great defense will take care of everything else”

Well it’s not working. Let the guy play the game he knows how to play. The game he played his whole life. I’ll take the picks. I’d rather have 10 TD’s and 10 Picks in 3 games then 1 TD and 1 Pick in 3 games.

Patrick76777
09-30-2005, 07:02 AM

heard it on the radio today. It was said. They're going to go for it. No more of this BS, play it safe game.

Jan Reimers
09-30-2005, 07:03 AM
And he overthrew everything. He's NOT ready. Put in Holly.
Why in Heaven's name should we sit the kid down after 3 games in favor of a career backup?

And how does JP get ready sitting on the bench? Let him play his game with the reins off.

Oh, and this is not hockey, so Holcomb is known to no one as "Holly." :peace:

Patrick76777
09-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Does that matter? This is a discussion board...

There are topics about Holcomb for starter although nobody in the Bills staff have talked about that.

Who are you and what are you talking about? She just wanted to know if anyone knew the answer! Stop telling us how MB's work.

colin
09-30-2005, 07:41 AM

i don't see how you are disagreing with me.

the long ball comment was for last year, we were stuck in the mud until it was opened up with a few longer plays.

i still think we are being too conservative right now too, we need to run JP and make more agressive and faster to develope passing plays. JP needs to make some playes because he is a terrible ball control QB right now.

justasportsfan
09-30-2005, 07:45 AM

not at the expense of losing the entire season. If he wasn't ready we should've played Holcomb. this team has the talent to make playoffs. Holcomb threw for over 400 yards without having the weapons like Moulds, Evans and Willis in Cleveland. Right now Jp hasn't even thrown for 200 yds. Clements might pull a Winfield by wanting to go to as team who has a shot at the sb and willing to pay him more $$. Moulds may not want to restructure because he wants to win as well. This will be the 3rd retooling under TD. My patience is gone.

Oh and yeah, if running their own O worked for Kelly and Flutie , it might work for JP. Let him run the plays he's comfortable/confident w/. If it still doesn't work, bring in Holcomb.

colin
09-30-2005, 08:57 AM

i say we give JP 1 quarter to 1 half on sunday. if he sucks like has the last 2 games then we put in kelly and decide on a game by game basis if JP is back in.

if he can't take being benched then he won't ever make it as an NFL QB, he is an athlete not a damn flower.

it's pretty clear he isn't ready for prime time yet, we obviously should have started holcombe and let JP fight for the job and he might have got some PT about midseason, but to gift JP the job was dumb as hell

slakjaw157
09-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Reigns or no reigns, why is he overthrowing receivers?

mybills
09-30-2005, 11:35 PM
because any power horse won't make the hurdle/jump if you pull on his reigns. :shakeno:

sba
10-01-2005, 12:49 AM
I agree with this 100%, he's too scared to screw up right now and it's killing him.

LifetimeBillsFan
10-01-2005, 12:55 AM
I agree with taking the reins off and letting JP run the kind of plays that he is most comfortable with.

What they are doing right now isn't working--for JP or for the offense--so they've really got nothing to lose. JP is obviously not comfortable on the field doing what they are asking him to do and anything that will make him more comfortable has a chance of working to make him more effective. He had to improvise and throw the ball around a lot at Tulane and he was pretty successful, so maybe he will be more successful than he has been so far this season if they let him do that.

As far as benching him in favor of Holcomb is concerned, I wouldn't be opposed to them doing that if JP were to continue to struggle--but only if the defense starts to play better. Those who talk about how the season will go down the drain if JP stays in and continues to struggle are missing a crucial point: the team is no chance to make the playoffs if the defense continues to be last in the NFL in rushing defense by a large margin (the Bills are giving up almost 40 yards a game more than the next worst defensive team!)! If the defense doesn't improve, there is no reason to bench JP no matter how badly he plays because the team won't be going anywhere and there is no reason to keep JP from getting more game experience.

However, if the defense picks their game up and JP keeps struggling, then they might consider putting him on the bench for a couple of games to see if Holcomb can get anything going. Even if Holcomb plays well, I would still try to work JP into games after a couple of games on the bench to see how the benching has impacted his game. But, if Holcomb struggles, I would put JP back into the lineup in the hopes that a couple of games on the bench would have given him a little different perspective and settled him down a bit--this has been done with other young QBs in the past with some success and might work with JP at that point. It all depends on how the defense plays and whether Holcomb can get the offense on track because if they can't get the the job done, the Bills might as well devote the remaining games of the season to getting JP the game experience that he needs to get better.

JP has played poorly, but he's not the only problem the Bills have right now and if the Bills don't get their defense on track, JP might as well keep playing because the team won't have a shot at being a playoff team this season anyway.

slakjaw157
10-01-2005, 01:06 AM
because any power horse won't make the hurdle/jump if you pull on his reigns. :shakeno:

I don't buy it. The system has nothing to do with his accuracy. If a QB has time in the pocket and overthrows an open receiver, how can you say he is not at fault?

Mini Mouse
10-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Well that didn't work!