25. Buffalo Sabres
26. Minnesota Wild
27. Phoenix Coyotes
28. Carolina Hurricanes
29. Washington Capitals
30. New York Rangers

#25 BUFFALO SABRES
NEW PLAYERS: 4 | NEW RULES: HELP | BETTER THAN '03-'04? NO

Swift Maxim Afinogenov, his headaches behind him, could finally provide some needed offense

For five undistinguished NHL seasons, right wing Maxim Afinogenov has frustrated his coaches by squandering his sublime talents with timid, indifferent play. Coach Lindy Ruff has constantly pushed his most skilled player to go to the net and cut through traffic, with little success. Ruff once referred to Afinogenov's progress as, "... a step forward, then a step sideways, then it's a step backwards ... a round dance."

Afinogenov has been wary of contact for a reason. Hours after signing a two-year, $2.4 million contract on Sept. 4, 2002, he took a puck to the head during a pickup game in Moscow. He missed the first 46 games of the next season with a concussion and upon his return had just 11 points in 35 games and sometimes covered his face when someone shot a puck in his direction. It took almost two years for his migraines to disappear. This season's rule changes may help alleviate some of the headaches Afinogenov has given his coach. "The new rules should really help Max," says Ruff. "He can get a step on you and get extra opportunities [because] you can't get that extra tug to slow him down."

No Sabre will benefit more from the changes than Afinogenov, one of the league's swiftest skaters, but no team will face a bigger stylistic adjustment than the Sabres if Ruff ditches his defense-first system to fit the new rules and his speedy roster. Buffalo players have clashed with Ruff over the system while missing the playoffs three straight times -- a first for the franchise.

Regardless of Ruff's approach, plenty of Sabres will enjoy the open ice, including clutch-scoring center Chris Drury; playmaker Tim Connolly, who missed the 2003-04 season with a concussion; and center Daniel Briere, who led the team with 65 points in '03-04. And, of course, Afinogenov. "Good possibilities for me," says the 26-year-old, who should exceed his career highs of 21 goals and 40 points. "The changes will make it easier for forwards to go to the net."

That's a dance Ruff can't wait to see.

-- Brian Cazenueve
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/specials/preview/2005/scouting.reports/sabres.html

SkateZilla
09-29-2005, 05:07 PM
****, thats fuel for the sabres to be even better,

pyrrhonist
09-29-2005, 06:50 PM
I know that the article is going to piss alot of us here off, but really---What did we expect? The team lets their best goal scorer in recent memory (Satan) go, and their #1 blueliner (Zhitnik), and they add some mediocre guys to replace them (Numminen, Lydman). There's no way your ranking can go up in terms of offseason moves.

Of course, the games have to be played, and the team hasn't been anywhere near awful in preseason. We shall see what the season itself brings! :bf1:

SkateZilla
09-29-2005, 09:15 PM
I know that the article is going to piss alot of us here off, but really---What did we expect? The team lets their best goal scorer in recent memory (Satan) go, and their #1 blueliner (Zhitnik), and they add some mediocre guys to replace them (Numminen, Lydman). There's no way your ranking can go up in terms of offseason moves.

Of course, the games have to be played, and the team hasn't been anywhere near awful in preseason. We shall see what the season itself brings! :bf1:

tehres a difference between Best Goal scorere and Most Goal Scorer :), Satan Only Scored Goals Went it suits him and alot of them were when we were down 5 to nothing... out of 29 he has what.. 4 GWG?

Myers57
09-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Thats my Sabre!!!

pyrrhonist
09-29-2005, 10:39 PM
tehres a difference between Best Goal scorere and Most Goal Scorer

All of your Satan hatred aside....

Can you honestly, without the Buffalo glasses, say that the Sabres are a better team this season than when they last played a game? I am wanting to see them succeed as much as the next fan, but I realistically can't say they deserve a high ranking.

Dozerdog
09-29-2005, 10:55 PM
Florida 10th?

Boston 12th?

Who wrote this garbage?

pyrrhonist
09-30-2005, 01:14 AM
I actually think Boston is ranked kind of low.....

Florida is way unproven, mostly a collection of new players, who have yet to play together.

It is Sports Illustrated, though. Most American publications know jack about hockey. It's the sad, sad truth. :crap:

SkateZilla
09-30-2005, 08:09 AM
i dont hate satan, i hate his work ethic...

only play his role when he's rumored to be traded, lmao, read a NYI Message board, the same thing we've all be griping about hte last 2 years they've already started in on him :),

ZHITNIK outscored Satan this preseason in half as many games... what does that tell you??

pyrrhonist
09-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Dude, you still haven't addressed the root question!! :crap: :D

Are the Sabres a better team than the last one that was on the ice in 2003-04, or not?

I'm starting to think you may have an unhealthy obsession with Miro....I'll alert the Nassau security. :D :peace:

Philagape
09-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Too high: Calgary, Nashville, Edmonton

Too low: Anaheim, Los Angeles, Carolina

Typ0
09-30-2005, 04:30 PM
Satan was very disliked on the team....I don't have a link but I know that for a fact. Don't listen if you don't want to. Moving him somewhere else is a big positive for the Sabres.

Typ0
09-30-2005, 04:31 PM
I think the Sabres will move up to a middle of the pack team myself.

pyrrhonist
10-01-2005, 03:06 AM
Satan was very disliked on the team....I don't have a link but I know that for a fact. Don't listen if you don't want to. Moving him somewhere else is a big positive for the Sabres.

I still can't understand why a thread about how the Sabres will do this season turns into "Everyone Loves/Hates Miro". For the life of me, it seems just like the "cool 'net thing to do", much like hating anything that's popular.

Skate never addressed the teams' odds this season, that is the only reason why I keep at him. :attn: