PDA

View Full Version : Article: Reed Best Rookie in camp so far

Dozerdog
08-07-2002, 08:31 PM
Rookie Reed quickly catching on with Bills (http://www.syracuse.com/sportsflash/bills/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?n0680_BC_FBN--Bills-Reed&&sports&bills)

By JOHN WAWROW
The Associated Press
8/7/02 6:58 PM

Growing up, Josh Reed never dreamed of being an NFL receiver. It's also true that receiver wasn't the Buffalo Bills' most pressing need on draft day.

Sometimes, things have a way of sorting themselves out.

"They call it a blessing, nowadays," said Reed, who entered college as a halfback and left with the 2001 Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top pass receiver. "I'm blessed and I won't ever forget that."

As are the Bills, who three weeks into training camp are expressing no reservations about selecting Reed in the second round last April.

"I think Larry Centers has put it well," coach Gregg Williams said, referring to the veteran fullback's assessment of Reed. "He's walked by me in practice and said, 'It's pretty safe to go ahead and put (Reed's) name on his jersey."'

Williams, evidently, concurs by getting Reed in with the Bills' first-team offense every chance he gets.

Rookie Reed quickly catching on with Bills (http://www.syracuse.com/sportsflash/bills/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?n0680_BC_FBN--Bills-Reed&&sports&bills)

mchurchfie
08-07-2002, 08:36 PM
Great read DDog!!

RedEyE
08-07-2002, 08:45 PM
I'd love to see Reed get his first Pro TD in his first Pro game.

BigMike68
08-07-2002, 09:18 PM
I love this kid he seems to catch everything and I bought a sweet card of him today.

DraftBoy
08-07-2002, 09:53 PM
I hope he wins OROY, JReed should show us some plays this year, become the next Andre Reed. JReed all the way!!!!

WG
08-07-2002, 10:55 PM
Reed #2 by the Minnesota game!

standingbuffalo43
08-08-2002, 02:21 AM
Its good to know reed is showing well...
he'll be an excellent WR and should contribute mightily!

The_Philster
08-08-2002, 03:17 AM
I'm still a bit bugged by Peerless. They had the Steelers highlight video on after NFL2Night Tuesday and I saw that play on which Peerless basically gave up. :down:

Captain gameboy
08-08-2002, 10:17 AM
The Josh Reed bandwagon is filling up. I'm super glad we got him. If he becomes the third receiver, watch him have a great opener against the Jets who willl "fight the last war" by constantly doubling Moulds. Then, as the season progresses and his totals add up, Moulds and Peerless will benefit from his performance and consider him as important to their careers as Drew. Perhaps a bit optimistic of an assessment, but I'm an optimistic guy about him. Don Maynard, Bobby Chandler, Fred Biletnikoff type.

WG
08-08-2002, 10:36 AM
Philster,

That's common for Price. Just look at his stats. They totally reflect that. He has a huge game, and then nothing for 3 or 4. Reed won't be struggling in consistency like that. That's why I'm tellin' ya that Reed will be starting very soon this season in replacement of Price.

Price is a player who had better have a GREAT season. Another season where he's on for every 4th or 5th game and I'll say he gets cut next year. We have Drew now, we have a running game. If Price's game doesn't improve, why keep him. We can find that in many WRs in the league. He's gonna want some big bucks next year if we keep him. IMO he ain't worth more than $1M or so. If that...

He's highly overrated. If he gets replaced by a rookie, it won't bode well for him.

lordofgun
08-08-2002, 10:46 AM
I'm really really REALLY glad it's not 2001.

HenryRules
08-08-2002, 11:04 AM
OROY is a bit of a stretch I think because its pretty much always RB's that win that award (William Green will win it), but I think Reed will be a solid #3 receiver. I don't know if he's going to be #2 by the end of the year, because I think our offense is really going to click this year, so why change something that's working pretty well. Next year, I can see him being #2 with the Bills either re-signing Price pretty cheap or trying to get a replacement deep threat for their #3 receiver.
IMO though, Price is also going to have a good season. Mostly because ever since he's joined the team, the OC has been completely incompetent and while some may hold it against him, I can certainly understand it being tough to get up for a game when you think your boss is an idiot. Think about your own job experiences and how hard it is to give 100% when you think you're being told to do things that are completely idiotic. Now that the Bills have a solid OC, I think Price and Moulds are really going to go out and show what they can do.

WG
08-08-2002, 11:50 AM
We'll see. I just think that Reed is flat out better than Price already, forgetting that he's even a rookie. Therefore it only stands to reason that you wouldn't let your 2nd best, quite possibly your best in the future, WR sit while a lesser caliber player steals the PT.

Captain gameboy
08-08-2002, 01:24 PM
If you're corect Wys, think of the irony. Defenses keep the doubles on Moulds, Reed emerges as a serious threat, drawing a talented DB from every D. Price fits in the mini-vacuum by getting single coverage all year from their 2 cornerback, while Reed runs clear out patterns for him.. Being a burner with a strong arm QB throwing to him, he puts up pro-bowl type numbers. Has a great year, asks for big bucks next year. TD tells him it was because of Price he got the numbers, and, ironically, its because of Price we aren't going to pay him no. one receiver money, so he goes out as a FA. Believe it or not, that's the way I see this thing playing out. We have the depth at WR when Germany comes back, and good no. 2 wide receivers are easy to replace through free agency. Point being, I don't see us spending huge amounts of money on Price next year.

The_Philster
08-08-2002, 06:33 PM
I agree Wys and I think Reed will be the #2 next year if he's as good as everyoe says. I'll be watching him closely tomorrow night.

HenryRules
08-08-2002, 09:11 PM
I haven't seen Reed play yet, so my opinion is pretty much based on past performances of first-round receivers. If Reed is as good as you guys are describing - GREAT!! He's gonna be one of the best rookie receivers to come out in years.
However, here's my main concern, the only receivers that dropped in the draft and had great rookie years dropped more due to attitude than due to physical ability. Reed didn't drop due to attitude, he dropped due to ability (speed and size count as part of ability IMO). Therefore, I don't think past history bodes well for him to succeed. Especially since we already have two receivers who fit into the deep-throwing style that Gilbride has said he wants.

Dozerdog
08-08-2002, 09:39 PM
He's gonna be another Andre Reed. Andre didn't have tremendous speed, but had GREAT ABILITY to get open in traffic and to get the YAC.

SABURZFAN
08-09-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I'm really really REALLY glad it's not 2001.

:lol:

ditto

SABURZFAN
08-09-2002, 12:20 PM
i've heard nothing but good reports about this guy.somebody told me it won't be too long before he passes up moulds as the go-to guy.is he that good?

Drewpac
08-09-2002, 12:33 PM
This guy was phenomenal in college. I really think he'll be our future #1.

John from Hemet
08-09-2002, 05:05 PM
I know this....

If Reed is good enough to be our number one guy....then we have some pretty darn good receivers down here....because Eric Moulds is GREAT.....

I still say that it works out perfectly the way it is now....you hae Moulds and Price going deep....clearing the defense out...and then you have Reed going over the middle under the defense....full speed with great run after catch ability....

That is what made Wayne Chrebet such a good receiver....only I think Josh Reed has a lot more talent

TigerJ
08-10-2002, 12:14 PM
Here's my take on Reed. I like him, don't get me wrong, and I'm glad he's a Bill. I think he is roughly a 3rd year player in terms of his development. He has great hands and runs great routes. I think he'll be very productive early, depending on how much the Bills use him. I don't think we'll see all that much of a learning curve for the very reasons I've already stated. Reed is already a pretty complete player. He may learn a few tricks, but he already knows most of what the typical WR has to learn over the first couple years of his pro career.