PDA

View Full Version : Time to Rebuild (Long post from a usual lurker)

Scumbag College
10-02-2005, 03:17 PM
It is painfully obvious unless something drastically changes that this version of the Bills do NOT have what it takes to be a SB contender, much less a playoff contender. After years of teasing us, I think some major changes have to made by Mr. Wilson. Here are some of my ideas...

1. Might as well start JP from here on out barring injury. The bills made a pretty big commitment to making him the franchise QB, so any experience he gets this year will be a positive. It will get ugly at times, maybe even uglier than it has been the last three weeks.

2. Build an O-Line, first by cutting MW. His salary cap number is not merrited by his performance. I know that he was the 4th pick overall a few years ago, but it's time to cut the losses with him. I thimk Duke will be an OK guard or center in the future, but other than that the jury is out on the rest of the young O-Liners brought in the last few years. I wouldn't mind usuing a 1st round draft pick on a tackle next year...it might be a pretty high draft pick the way it's looking right now.

3. Get a good TE that can be a threat in the receiving game, one that can stay healthy.

4. As great as he's been and as much as I've liked watching him, cut Moulds. He's not getting any better, and he's another big salary cap number. I like Evans, and I think Aiken is still getting better and Reed has actually come on this year so far. Fast Freddy is going to be an OK 5th receiver and punt return guy.

As far as defense...

5. Keep Crowell around, maybe switch TKO to MLB. If we've learned anything after watching players come back from Achilles injuries, they're not as fast. I still think he's going to be a hell of a player with a lot to give in the future, and he is big and strong enough to hold up inside. But I don't think he'll be as fast, which helped his game the last few years.

6. Get some run stuffing tackles, Sam Adams will probably be gone after this year, and Bannan/Edwards/Anderson?Sape are not getting it done as far as replacing PW.

7. Need at least one young, good safety with LM and TV getting up there. I like Baker's game and would make an effort to keep him around, but Wire obviously is a career ST guy.

8. Sign Clements long term, no matter what. Cutting Moulds, Williams, and Adams should make that feasible. Add a veteran 3rd CB in FA because Greer and others are killing us on third down.

Coaching and front office...

9. I think the time has come to get rid of TD. Ralph has given him almost carte blanche to sign FAs and it's going on 5 years now without even a trip to the playoffs as a wildcard. Get some young blood in that position.

10. Come out and verbally give MM and the coaching staff a nod of confidence, but actively pursue another coach during the offseason. The offensive playcalling has been nothing short of horrific so far this year. The D has been awful on third downs. I blame this mostly on the coaching.

That's it.

:dishes:

AndreReed83
10-02-2005, 03:24 PM
It's nice to suggest all these cuts and changes but do you have a plan for who we pick up or who we replace and the cap numbers? I don't think decimating this team to START rebuilding is the answer. We already have plenty of pieces, we need to ADD to those pieces to CONTINUE rebuilding.

RedEyE
10-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Good post. You should post more.

Right now I'll agree to anything that gets us in the win column.

Drive 4 Five
10-02-2005, 03:36 PM
If Donahoe were fired, who do we replace him with? Modrak? I myself am pretty disgusted with the play calling (it's like shades of Gilbride all over again). In fact I am damn sick of this ENTIRE coaching staff (with the exception of Bobby April). The only reason I think we should cut Eric Moulds is becuase I feel for him and he deserves to go somewhere where he AT LEAST has a CHANCE for a championship and somewhere he will be APPRECIATED. I say that we should defintiley stick with Losman, benching him now makes no damn sense. We obviously have much BIGGER problems than just J.P. Losman. Definitley cut Mike William's ass. This guy is defintiely not worth what he is getting paid, neither is Trey (get my ass kicked every week) Teague. Cut his ass too!

Man this really sucks!!!

DaBills
10-02-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm speechless. ****ing offensive playcalling has JP going right back to the plays he is struggling at rather than building on the run. Don't know what more to say on that.

But at this point on D, it's either player talent (or lack there of) or it's coaching.

I have a BIG problem letting Jerry Gray off the hook in all of this. Disguised blitz schemes have not been as effective as they need to be this year. No one stays home in most of the situations and we end up allowing opponents to convert 3rd downs with big gains. Either fake the blitz but then drop back or bring the house, not this rush four and blitz a fifth from the safety position. It isn't working.

We have YET to blitz significantly in years. And I mean Pittsburgh-type blitzing until the other team burns us. Stack everyone and intimidate QBs. Where is the pressure? Ok, granted, we don't have a an impact player like a Freak or a Strahan, but can’t we make up for it with more numbers on the line? Pressuring teams for only half the game and an occasional sack by Aaron is not enough.

Most of the teams we face have either a mobile QB or strong running game and we are not bringing enough pressure. Couple that with the fact that the corners still play soft coverage at the line, we are playing perfect bend-then-break defense.

How did the D get so overrated? This sucks.

northernbillfan
10-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Bout time you said something Scumbag.

Good post, speak more often.

dannyek71
10-02-2005, 03:54 PM
get rid of donahoe. No playoffs in how many years?

Drive 4 Five
10-02-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm speechless. ****ing offensive playcalling has JP going right back to the plays he is struggling at rather than building on the run. Don't know what more to say on that.

But at this point on D, it's either player talent (or lack there of) or it's coaching.

I have a BIG problem letting Jerry Gray off the hook in all of this. Disguised blitz schemes have not been as effective as they need to be this year. No one stays home in most of the situations and we end up allowing opponents to convert 3rd downs with big gains. Either fake the blitz but then drop back or bring the house, not this rush four and blitz a fifth from the safety position. It isn't working.

We have YET to blitz significantly in years. And I mean Pittsburgh-type blitzing until the other team burns us. Stack everyone and intimidate QBs. Where is the pressure? Ok, granted, we don't have a an impact player like a Freak or a Strahan, but can’t we make up for it with more numbers on the line? Pressuring teams for only half the game and an occasional sack by Aaron is not enough.

Most of the teams we face have either a mobile QB or strong running game and we are not bringing enough pressure. Couple that with the fact that the corners still play soft coverage at the line, we are playing perfect bend-then-break defense.

How did the D get so overrated? This sucks.

I agree wih you about Gray. Idiot. I find it pretty amusing that Mike Shepard was not good enough for OUR team but yet he out witted Jerry Gray's every single move today. Looks like the joke is on us.

He over does everything. Last week he played WAY over-agressive and today he coached like he was scared.

sdbillsfan2
10-02-2005, 05:37 PM
mmmmmm.,,Lets see . We've changed qbs,overlooked upgrading the O-line ,gone thru new coaches and staff .We've put our selfs in crappy draft positions at times and still not 1 playoff appearance since when ? Wait a second ....did I say WE ? If I suggested we hired Jim Kelly to be the next GM ,you'd all say I was Crazy .Don't blame ya ! Nice guy ,great qb .but GM material ...NO !
The Point I'm trying to make is WE need a GM who can get the damn job done. TD is a freakin salesman.He'll slip a big name into the roster to draw fans ,yet doesn't give a rat's behind about the O-Line. His first priority is to fill seats . I honestly don't see any redeeming quality. He's a modern day snake oil salesman.
How is it WE can all saw that we needed line help before the season started ,yet he can't ! What he gave us were other teams rejects.Sorry I'm not impressed . The Line is only the tip of the iceberg.
From this point on.........I don't think i'll lay blame at anybodies feet EXCEPT TD's and RaLph Wilson for hiring this steelers reject of a GM. lets see .the steelers won some SBs and they (the Rooneys)didn't believe TD could do it for them .
What does it take for RW to wake up and smell the coffee. The buck stop at TD's desk for the mess we're in.

DynaPaul
10-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Where are those people who said Jerry Gray deserved a head coaching gig? This guy has benefitted more from talent than any special scheme he devised.