• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charlieguide
    Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time
    • Feb 2004

Time to give Losman a game off

For the last few years, I've stuck by the coaches and management of this team while the team "almost" did well, week in and week out, year in and year out. We saw bad players starting because of their 'potential', good players leaving because they 'cost too much', good coaches passed over, bad coaches hired and even retained despite abysmal performances.

This week, we see our team put up 67 -- that's SIXTY SEVEN!! -- total passing yards against a beat up Saints team that had given up an average of 218ypg before today. Losman is clearly uncomfortable; obviously in over his head.

What's really disturbing about all this is that the rest of the team is ready for the playoffs. The OL is giving him time, Willis is running an average of 4-5 ypc (over SIX ypc today!), the defense is giving up less than 17 ppg, and even Rian Lindell is performing at an acceptable level.

Losman may yet be our future, but he certainly isn't our present. He needs a game (or several) to sit back and process all this. It's very disappointing that with all the offensive minds on the coaching staff, he isn't further along, and even more disappointing that they're willing to let it continue. Holcomb can throw the ball, and more importantly, he can keep his head under pressure. That's all this team needs to start winning now.
    The best is yet to come, and the rest is history. -- Oval Opus
  • ArcticWildMan

Re: Time to give Losman a game off

Bench him now and you'll destroy any chance at him being our starter. We need to change our play calling to capitolize on our strengths (running). Right now the BS play calling is killing us and is destroying the confidence of our future QB.

Comment

• BillsFever21
      • Aug 2004

Holcomb really tore it up today when he came in didn't he?

Mularkey and Clements is our problem. These guys suck.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Charlieguide
        What's really disturbing about all this is that the rest of the team is ready for the playoffs. The OL is giving him time, Willis is running an average of 4-5 ypc (over SIX ypc today!), the defense is giving up less than 17 ppg, and even Rian Lindell is performing at an acceptable level.
        It is??!?! Are you watching the same **** team that I am? They are getting severely OUTCOACHED! They can't stop the run and they are getting burned on long passes. Plus, their playbook only has 1st and 2nd down in it. Where's 3rd down? The defense and offense suck on 3rd down. This defense is not playoff ready IMO. It looks soo damn overrated.

Comment

• RedEyE
          • Jul 2002

You have to keep the kid in at this point. The season, while not statisticlly unsalvagable, looks very meek. Besides, we need to know if Losman even has a future here. He has a long way to go, that's for sure. But like AWM said, if you pull him now and call him a bust, what have you proven?

Comment

• Charlieguide
            • Feb 2004

I disagree about it ruining Losman. If it's done right -- if he's told he's taking a week or two off, rather than simply told he's the #2 indefinitely -- it might give him some motivation as well as taking some pressure off him temporarily.

I'll agree about playcalling, to an extent. Willis seems to score when he's given the chance . . . but you have to keep the offense honest, too. Would another 5-10 carries have won this game?

As for Holcomb, he got all of six chances to throw, with a week of prepping as the backup. I'm not saying he's the long-term answer, but he is a very stable QB who can manage the game, keep his head, and serve as an example to Losman.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

JP needs to play. Bills shouldn't bench him. They have to find out that they need a QB next year. That won't happen if JP sits on the bench this year because they will give him another shot next year.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                • May 2003

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
                Bench him now and you'll destroy any chance at him being our starter. We need to change our play calling to capitolize on our strengths (running). Right now the BS play calling is killing us and is destroying the confidence of our future QB.
                I agree with you regarding the BS play calling (ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL), but I disagree about Losman's confidence. He is not a baby for crissakes. STILL, I think he would perform a little better if we had some decent play calling. Passing in obvious formations on 3rd and short, passing to set up the run when passing is CLEARLY not the strenght of this team. I can go on ALL day.

That said, if we are going to be a passing team (and THAT is clearly the philosophy our coaches have), then you ma as well put in the more experienced QB. Power running team my ass. What a joke, right?

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                  JP needs to play. Bills shouldn't bench him. They have to find out that they need a QB next year. That won't happen if JP sits on the bench this year because they will give him another shot next year.
                  This actually is a true statement. They absolutely wont draft a QB if Losman sits. The only way we figure out what we have in him is if he plays this year.

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                    • Jun 2003

Noooo, don't take him out now.. I watch the game today, it just seems he's uncomfortable...He hasn't learn to forget the last play, it looks like with any failure he brings it right back on the field the very next series. It seem to be becoming self fulfilling with him. I think once he learns to forget he'll be better, he has a helluva arm.
                    Last edited by MDFINFAN; 10-02-2005, 05:24 PM.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                      Unreachable Douche
                      • Jul 2002

You just want him to play against Miami.

Comment

• Charlieguide
                        • Feb 2004

Now you guys are putting words in my mouth. I'll agree there are playcalling issues, but I'm not talking about benching JP for the season. A game or two off is what he needs. He's in over his head, and he's clearly not leraning from his mistakes. He may even be regressing.

Given a week or two off, he'll be able to calm down, look at his mistakes, watch Holcomb and see what he does in similar situations, then come back and try again better prepared. If you want to see whether or not he's the future, you have to give him the best chance you can, and leaving him in when he's failing will only frustrate him -- and the rest of the team -- more.

Comment

• Demon
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
                          Playing a QB to develop is one thing. But, making Losman play and make a fool out of himself is another. He is not learning. Every pass he makes is from panic. He needs to learn, let him sit, let Holcomb try to save the season, because the AFC east is very weak this season, if we win the next 2, we're right in the middle of the divison race.

Let Holcomb play, if we're out of it in 5-6 weeks, bring Losman back in for the remainder of the season and hope he is more mature and understands the plays and can read defenses a little better.
                          Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• MDFINFAN
                            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                            You just want him to play against Miami.
                            If he continues to wear a failed drive on his shoulders, of course I would want him to play against the Dolphins, just because I don't talk smack, doesn't mean I want you guys to beat us. Of course I want every opportunity to beat you. If loseman can't get over his mistakes and gives us the best opportunity to beat you, then hell yea, I want him playing, but my observations were on the subject of what I see in him right now. That may change next week, who knows. But the thing is, he's a rookie when it comes to playing a complete year of football, much like AJ, been in the league but not a starter.. They have to go through their lumps in order to get better, just like Palmer for the Bengals last year, started the year raw, by the last 5 games, he started to click.

Reach for the stars

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

if you give him a week or two off....he's done for the season. You are starting Holcomb for the rest of the year if you bench Losman now. and that's a bad move IMO, because it means we will never get to develop our rookie QB. He needs all the time that he can get, so he can grow. He can't get that time if he's sitting on the bench.

Oh plus, the QB controversy begins if u bench him next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X