PDA

View Full Version : Try to Win Now or Sacrafice the Season?

Meathead
10-03-2005, 01:20 AM
I hear lots of fans saying JP is young and must get his playing time in to get better.

Of course doing that puts the Bills team at a disadvantage in the games now and so far that disadvantage has been crippling. Even if JP ends up in the HOF someday, right now he is playing very poorly and hurting the team.

Now that the Bills are 1-3 but only one non-conference loss out of first place, what do you think the team should do?

- Develop JP no matter what, including sacrificing the season if necessary

- Try to win right now by starting Holcomb to get better play from the QB position until the playoffs are out of reach

sba
10-03-2005, 01:25 AM
He's gotta play if he's going to get any better. I'd still give him a week off and start from scratch with him though. Clear his head, run Willis 25 times, and let him throw only when needed. There's no reason Mularkey/Clements should have Losman out there trying to win games for us, he should be learning to manage the offense not throw for 300 and 3 scores everytime out there. The coaching staff is screwing him up so badly that he mught never develop at this rate.

juice
10-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Bench JP until he can slow his game down and learn to go through his progressions to make currect reads.

This Defense could still be a top 10 unit if we had consistant pressure from the DE position and Crowell continues to play solid.. why sacrifice a potential top 10 defense and a solid top 5 ST unit when there is no guarantee that JPL will ever pan out.

I fell sorry for JP.. he has to learn how to play QB behind the worst line in the League.

Mudflap1
10-03-2005, 01:34 AM
I'm on the fence. Tonight I'm torn betwen giving Holcomb most of the snaps in practice and shot this week. Let's see how he does being treated as a starter with a game to prepare. If he's ineffective, go back to Losman. The other side of me says to split their reps in practice and to give Losman a quick hook against Miami.

Originally (last week), I said to play Losman through Miami at least before benching him for Holcomb. Either way, the clock is ticking for Losman, I wouldn't give him much more latitude, if any at all.

It's not that I hate him or think he will never be able to play, but he appears to be completely incapable RIGHT NOW of being any kind of competent starting quarterback. He can't handle his job right now.

Jon

Tinboy
10-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Well the whole team don't play good right now so stick with JP and let him learn.

vicmantak
10-03-2005, 03:08 AM
Meathead,

It's a very good poll with no better options to answer.
I would say Bills might always start the best option to win.

clumping platelets
10-03-2005, 03:12 AM
Win now!

Historian
10-03-2005, 04:19 AM
Leave the kid in.

This season's done.

clumping platelets
10-03-2005, 04:25 AM
:cry:

The_Philster
10-03-2005, 05:13 AM
losing sickens me but let's face it..JP is far from the only problem and Holcomb won't plug up all those holes

Jan Reimers
10-03-2005, 05:20 AM
losing sickens me but let's face it..JP is far from the only problem and Holcomb won't plug up all those holes
My thoughts exactly. We need to play JP, get Parrish back on the field to give him another option, and begin thinking about how to improve the O and D lines in the offseason.

Meathead
10-03-2005, 07:27 AM
reload

Ebenezer
10-03-2005, 07:46 AM
The season was about Losman...if you bench him then you can't justify getting rid of Bledsoe and/or not having an open competition in camp.

colin
10-03-2005, 07:48 AM
playing losman won't get him better for sure: he has to play in a manner that let's him learn and build on success.

he has not improved, he has gotten worse since week one, he makes bad throws bad reads and is indecisive and holds the ball.

the only way we are going to win is if we run the ball a ton and make about 60% of our passes and convert third downs and not waste first downs. i don't see how we can do the second two with losman in there, and with the terrible play calling we can't seem to do the first.

Ebenezer
10-03-2005, 07:52 AM
you can only run the ball when the def respects the pass...nobody will do that right now.

Novacane
10-03-2005, 08:28 AM
Holcomb looked great yesterday. He should definately be the new starter :rolleyes:

madness
10-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Holcomb looked great yesterday. He should definately be the new starter :rolleyes:I agree, I picked him up in both my fantasy leagues. :rolleyes:

Ebenezer
10-03-2005, 08:32 AM
Holcomb looked great yesterday. He should definately be the new starter :rolleyes:
:puke:

OpIv37
10-03-2005, 08:34 AM
the question's a moot point. This season's OVER. We can't beat New Orleans- they're the 2nd worst team on our schedule. THe last two weeks, everyone's been talking about how we lost to good teams in Atlanta and TB so it's not the end of the world. Well NO's not a good team and they STILL beat us.

To have any shot at the playoffs we have to finish the year 9-3 and we play NE twice, Carolina, San Diego, Kansas City, and Denver. Does anyone really think we can win all our other games plus 3 of those 6? JP can't do it and Holcomb can't do it- just let JP play.

Ebenezer
10-03-2005, 08:37 AM
the question's a moot point. This season's OVER. We can't beat New Orleans- they're the 2nd worst team on our schedule. THe last two weeks, everyone's been talking about how we lost to good teams in Atlanta and TB so it's not the end of the world. Well NO's not a good team and they STILL beat us.

To have any shot at the playoffs we have to finish the year 9-3 and we play NE twice, Carolina, San Diego, Kansas City, and Denver. Does anyone really think we can win all our other games plus 3 of those 6? JP can't do it and Holcomb can't do it- just let JP play.
they still could beat the Jets.

L.A. Playa
10-03-2005, 08:42 AM
The season was sacrificed when at the end of last year the team ended up one win from the playoffs. The coaching staff and front office either failed or properly recognized that the 9-7 record was a fluke based on a weak beating weak opponents. So getting rid of Bledsoe and giving the team to JP was decided. All the hype about the defense and McGahee and special teams led the fans to believe that the playoffs where possible. Well the defense has struggled, McGahee has been good but not given the ball enough and Special teams have been solid but not game changing. I like JP he looks like crap, typical rookie QB. Bottom line is season could be a sacrifice and front office knew this but let the hype swirl to sell tickets, but after 4 games as crappy as the team looks they are only 1 game out of a playoff birth with 2 home divisional games that appear winable. In 2 weeks with solid performances by the defense and JP and more carries for Willis this team could be 3-3 and in first place in AFC East. SO there is some hope though bleak

BillsFever21
10-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Only some homers who thought we were great because we beat up on some of the worst teams in the league last year are disapointed.

If we had this schedule last year we would've won 6 games at the most. Just face it that this is a slightly above average team with below average coaching.

What good teams did we beat last year except for one win against the Jets? Don't think too long because there wasn't any.

Add in the fact we're even worse then last year after losing Jennings, Williams and Spikes to an injury.

We're a worse team with terrible coaching and a tougher schedule. Just face reality.

Till we get a real coaching staff and an OL this team isn't going anywhere.

Novacane
10-03-2005, 09:06 AM
disapointed.

If we had this schedule last year we would've won 6 games at the most. Just face it that this is a slightly above average team with below average coaching.

You're being to generous. More like an average team with terrible coaching

Ebenezer
Only some homers who thought we were great because we beat up on some of the worst teams in the league last year are disapointed.

What good teams did we beat last year except for one win against the Jets? Don't think too long because there wasn't any.

Add in the fact we're even worse then last year after losing Jennings, Williams and Spikes to an injury.

We're a worse team with terrible coaching and a tougher schedule. Just face reality.

Till we get a real coaching staff and an OL this team isn't going anywhere.

oh yeah, you never pick on the Bills :rolleyes:

The Vikes can't stop themselves...Jennings isn't playing...injuries happen...could it be we can't throw the ball so defenses don't half to scheme against it...maybe vets that saw this team within a breath of the playoffs last year aren't playing as hard becasue the FO decided to listen to the fans and can Bledsoe...maybe the defense (that is ageing) saw that this was the year and instead of having a somewhat competent QB they have a kid who can't get out of his way...

OpIv37
they still could beat the Jets.

3-13 here we come!

Good idea- let's let a division rival get our draft pick.

Ebenezer
10-03-2005, 09:24 AM
3-13 here we come!

Vinny will get them to 4 wins! :D

Meathead
10-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Don't count Vinnie out. He's not going to be a savior but he should be able to play a lot better than Bollinger.

They're in much the same spot as the Bills right now. The only difference is they don't have an alleged wonderkind QB to fret over.

osos
10-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Bench JP until he can slow his game down and learn to go through his progressions to make currect reads.

This Defense could still be a top 10 unit if we had consistant pressure from the DE position and Crowell continues to play solid.. why sacrifice a potential top 10 defense and a solid top 5 ST unit when there is no guarantee that JPL will ever pan out.

I fell sorry for JP.. he has to learn how to play QB behind the worst line in the League.

If you bench JP he will not learn anything. the BEST way he would learn is being on the game, - playing, not in the sideline. We give up Bledsoe for the future, and the future is JP ( he has the tools and attitude to be a great QB ),

if we had a good D, probably the season wouldn´t be over, but lets face the truth, our D isn´t even close from last year, it simply sucks, and JP isn´t playing for the worst line in the league, there are much worst than OL than ours.

Sacrifice the season now, and prevail for the future

osos
10-03-2005, 04:11 PM
3-13 here we come!

Great, let the jets get the first QB available who will turn in the best QB ever in the league even better than JP

juice
10-04-2005, 03:39 AM
If you bench JP he will not learn anything. the BEST way he would learn is being on the game, - playing, not in the sideline. We give up Bledsoe for the future, and the future is JP ( he has the tools and attitude to be a great QB ),

if we had a good D, probably the season wouldn´t be over, but lets face the truth, our D isn´t even close from last year, it simply sucks, and JP isn´t playing for the worst line in the league, there are much worst than OL than ours.

Sacrifice the season now, and prevail for the futureJP needs to learn the basics like how to slide and how to look off a reciever, these are QB 101 skills that he has yet to grasp.. most young QBs learn this in college or From the sideline holding a clipboard in the NFL.

I disagree that if you bench him he learns nothing, JP could learn alot by watching a Vet like Holcomb manage the Offense while letting Willis carry the load. All we need are 200 yds passing from the QB position with a high completion %.. WM should carry the rock 30x/gm.

This is still a good defense that didn't play that bad Sunday until the offense failed to move the chains and they ended up playing 13 minutes longer.. actual game time.

WCoastFin
10-04-2005, 12:35 PM
win now....JP will never be developed. he sucks

DaBills
10-04-2005, 01:04 PM
"Re: Try to Win Now or Sacrafice the Season?
The season was about Losman...if you bench him then you can't justify getting rid of Bledsoe and/or not having an open competition in camp."

Excellent point. They bench JP now and they would mean they were wrong, and TD doesn't strike me as someone who has ever admitted that. Even still, why would they admit after four games JP isn't the one and they gave DB three years? Doesn't add up.

And what could JP learn about the speed of the game on the sideline? And since the line is as bad as we see, does it matter that Holcomb may be more accurate on throws if he can't get out of the pocket under pressure all the time? Seems JP beats him there. We have one positive which JP is adding to, and that's our running game.

Give the guy the season to see what he can come up with. After all, we sat through the **** storm that was RJ for three years.

HAMMER
10-04-2005, 02:24 PM
I hear lots of fans saying JP is young and must get his playing time in to get better.

Of course doing that puts the Bills team at a disadvantage in the games now and so far that disadvantage has been crippling. Even if JP ends up in the HOF someday, right now he is playing very poorly and hurting the team.

Now that the Bills are 1-3 but only one non-conference loss out of first place, what do you think the team should do?

- Try to win right now by starting Holcomb to get better play from the QB position until the playoffs are out of reach

You seem to think that Holcomb WILL be better. None of us has seen anything that would support that.

finsrclowns
10-04-2005, 02:45 PM
The season was about Losman...if you bench him then you can't justify getting rid of Bledsoe and/or not having an open competition in camp.

So playing JP is about "justifying" something? I don't get that. :sorry:
Eb, you seem pretty rational to me, let me ask you, if you had a gun to your head and you had to win the game THIS WEEK who would you start JP or KH? Bledsoe was 4-2 against the fins but unfortunately he's not one of your choices. I'll wait for your reply before responding further.

osos
10-04-2005, 03:40 PM
So playing JP is about "justifying" something? I don't get that. :sorry:
Eb, you seem pretty rational to me, let me ask you, if you had a gun to your head and you had to win the game THIS WEEK who would you start JP or KH? Bledsoe was 4-2 against the fins but unfortunately he's not one of your choices. I'll wait for your reply before responding further.

I know this post wasn´t for me, but I couldn´t pass on answering

Actually is not about JP or KH, is only about having a good and competitive franchise. If we start KH he will not be the solution, he will be like an Aspirin, but in the end he would not be the solution, at this point probably JP is not the solution either, but is to early to determine if his not our QB, just because he is to raw and has no experience.

But I will ask you this..

What happend to P. Manning when he started and the Colts had a 3-13 record ??? they support him and let him learn

What happend with C. Palmer last season with the Bengals (and they were a playoff team), they started the guy and support him...

look at the results now

just support JP and he will be OK.

Mike13
10-04-2005, 08:47 PM
He's gotta play if he's going to get any better. I'd still give him a week off and start from scratch with him though. Clear his head, run Willis 25 times, and let him throw only when needed. There's no reason Mularkey/Clements should have Losman out there trying to win games for us, he should be learning to manage the offense not throw for 300 and 3 scores everytime out there. The coaching staff is screwing him up so badly that he mught never develop at this rate.
Exactly.

Meathead
10-04-2005, 10:29 PM
You seem to think that Holcomb WILL be better. None of us has seen anything that would support that.
You're not seriously going to try to draw a conclusion from 15 minutes as a relief guy who has had zero reps with the starting unit in practice, are you?

Believe me, KH is NOT the savior of any franchise. But I'll bet my HOUSE that he can top 100 yards passing in EVERY GAME HE STARTS FOR THE NEXT THREE YEARS.

I love JP as the Bills starter for the next decade. I just hate him RIGHT NOW.

Meathead
10-04-2005, 10:40 PM
I swear to God, after listening to you people for a week I think you're insane.

JP has SUCKED OUT LOUD for three straight games. No big shocker for a first time starting QB, to be sure. I swear to JEHOVAH that I still think JP could be a great QB, but today he BLOWS some serious SCMEGMA.

Now you've got a guy on the bench that has been around the NFL for FIVE years, had some decent success as a spot-starter, and he’s ready to go. Plus you’ve got a 1-3 team that BY THE GRACE OF GOD is still only one game out of first place!

I don’t see how the hell you don’t give KH his shot. After all, all he’s gotta do is get over 100 YARDS PASSING to be a big upgrade over the kid you have now.

Holy crap, I could start at QB and have my 92 yo grandmother and my 2.5 yo niece as WR’s and still get more than SEVENTY-FIVE yards average passing the last three games.

There will be plenty of opportunity to develop Adam Sandler later. Right now, I want to have a f***ing chance to win a ******* ballgame.

I hate that I have to agree with Shiva on this for the moment, but please, for the LOVE OF GOD, start Kelly!!!

finsrclowns
10-04-2005, 10:47 PM
If we start KH he will not be the solution, he will be like an Aspirin

As I said after last Sunday's game, give me an aspirin. :crazed:

Meathead
10-04-2005, 10:56 PM
I would be orgasmic with an aspirin right about now.

BAM
10-04-2005, 10:57 PM
I have some vicatin...

SeatownBillsFan21
10-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Start Losman finish 1-15 Draft Matt Linheirt kill JP make a super bowl run next year