PDA

View Full Version : Bills' draft class of 2002 made significant contributions

MelK
01-08-2003, 08:08 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20030108/1028322.asp

BUMPER CROP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bills' draft class of 2002 made significant contributions

By ALLEN WILSON
News Sports Reporter
1/8/2003

Mike Williams was an instant starter at right tackle.

The Bills had a solid draft last April, according to most draftniks. And in a year when rookies made a major impact throughout the NFL, few teams got more production out of their first-year players than Buffalo.
The Bills got contributions from most of their 10 draft picks. Two became instant starters (offensive tackle Mike Williams and strong safety Coy Wire) and four others (wide receiver Josh Reed, defensive tackle Justin Bannan, defensive end Ryan Denney and cornerback Kevin Thomas) either played a lot or got significant time late in the season.

The rookie class of 2002 still has some work to do to top last year's group, which produced six current starters. But the Bills are excited about the recent bumper crop they harvested from the last draft. ..............

ArcticWildMan
01-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Denney is the only draft pick that seems to be anywhere near a bust. I still think he can put on 15 pounds and be a DT. He just doesn't seem to have the speed to be a DE.

Kevin Thomas looks like the total steal of the draft !!! Hopefully he starts next year!!!

LtBillsFan66
01-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Williams, Reed and Wire. Can't argue with that!

TypicalBill
01-08-2003, 10:29 AM
If bannan gets to 315, then i think he'll be the starter next to Pat no question. I think he looked good.

4thAndLong
01-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Irons!!

He looked good of what I saw of him.

justasportsfan
01-08-2003, 03:07 PM
And after a years experience under their belt...it can only get better (barring injuries).

What's up with Spoons health?Anyone know?

JefftheBillsfan
01-08-2003, 04:31 PM
ok, no way thomas should be starting over winfield/clements. If you look at both of TD's drafts, hes done a great job, especially in that aspect.

venis2k1
01-08-2003, 06:41 PM
It will be nice to see Watson go.

ArcticWildMan
01-08-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan
ok, no way thomas should be starting over winfield/clements. If you look at both of TD's drafts, hes done a great job, especially in that aspect.

I'm talking about starting as our nickel back instead of Watson.

(and if Clements doesn't stop his damn showboating and start playing better, maybe Thomas will get a chance to compete against him :p: )

shelby
01-08-2003, 07:22 PM
SS Coy Wire (third round): It seemed like a gamble to throw Wire into the starting lineup considering he played linebacker in college and had never been a safety at any level. But he became a force in run support and on blitzes. He still needs work in pass coverage, but his development coincided with the overall improvement of the defense over the second half of the season. Remarkably, he played about 83 percent of the Bills' defensive snaps.

i remember being impressed with Wire during training camp. i can't wait to see what a bad@$$ he will become!!! i will be wearing his jersey with pride.:D

Scott
01-09-2003, 06:18 AM
Oh who do you think you are kidding, you think he is cute and has firm athletic buttocks.

SABURZFAN
01-09-2003, 09:25 AM
i think TD has done a great job drafting the young talent that we need.this upcoming draft will be VERY important.a couple of free agent pickups and this team could make some serious noise.

shelby
01-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Scott
Oh who do you think you are kidding, you think he is cute and has firm athletic buttocks.

"buttocks"?!?!?!
:scratch:
If you weren't my older brother, i'd.............
:chair: