PDA

View Full Version : TD did not go over GW on his recent coaching changes

Romes
01-08-2003, 10:06 AM
This quote here shows me that GW had a big voice on the fact that Vinklarek and Aldrige did not have their contracts renewed.

"Right now, Gregg’s in the process of evaluating his entire staff. He’s made two changes and we’ll see where it goes from here,” Donahoe said. “The changes he’s made, sometimes these things come off as firings and we don’t feel they are. We made a two-year commitment to these coaches and we fulfilled that. (In both cases) Gregg felt he wanted someone with a little more experience.”

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0108story1_bills.shtml

I don't understand why some people believe that TD and GW are in some way fueding or battling for power. They both seem to get along fine to me.

(This article also mentions that GW will be back next year. Along with the fact that Danny Smith - special teams coach - and Jerry Gray could be the next to go)

WG
01-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I agree w/ ya Cally!

Sometimes changes just have to be made for appearances as well as for practical purposes.

The one coaching change that I will never forget or forgive Phillips for is ditching DeHaven however. That was an idiotic move based on one bumbling play on which the refs blew it far more than DeHaven ever did. But you don't fire a coach w/ the credentials of DeHaven over one play when his performance has been stellar otherwise! It made no sense.

I just hope, although it doesn't appear to be headed this way, that Gilbride is gone or relegated to some other AC position.

LtBillsFan66
01-08-2003, 10:14 AM
Wys had to throw in a Gilbride jibe...

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

ArcticWildMan
01-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Good info!!!!

Pride
01-08-2003, 10:54 AM
Some one is diggin for news today! Go CalBillsFan!

lordofgun
01-08-2003, 10:56 AM
I think TD is lying. :D

Romes
01-08-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Pride
Some one is diggin for news today! Go CalBillsFan!

:bravo: :D

WG
01-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne
Wys had to throw in a Gilbride jibe...

Who knows what goes on behind the scenes.

If you like I can start my own Bledsoe's overrated thread?

Would ya like that, huh, would ya! LOL

:D

Oh yeah, Gilbride blows! Did I mention that...

;)

LtBillsFan66
01-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

If you like I can start my own Bledsoe's overrated thread?

Would ya like that, huh, would ya! LOL

Oh yeah, Gilbride blows! Did I mention that...

;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Earthquake Enyart
01-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun
I think TD is lying. :D

I think TD, Vinklarek, and AJ from finheaven are all no good stinking liars.

Buffarama
01-08-2003, 02:53 PM
TD is a freakin lying animal...........

mackey789
01-08-2003, 05:16 PM
WYS fails to recognize the fact that we had one of the best offenses in the league over the course of the season. Yes, at time they stalled....but for the most part, the best offense we have seen in buffalo in years. He is one of those types of bills fans that will never be satisfied until we go 16-0 and the other team doesnt schre once the entire season.

Dozerdog
01-08-2003, 05:23 PM
Excellent point, Mackey!!

Is it no coincidence that our Offense gort worse, AND our Defense correspondently got better, as the weather got worse?

Drew had a few bad games on his own, But most of his struggles occured in 25 mph winds, bitter cold temperatures, ect.

Meanwhile, the opposition QBs suffered as well, making our defense suddenly look respectable.

In the big picture, we were miles ahead of last season, eons ahead if we stayed with T Brown or AVP. And Wys's boy Chris Chandler fell apart in the few startshe had. Drew, TRravis Henry, and The O Line improvement are the reasons we are 8-8 and on the cusp of greatness over last season's 3-13.

John from Hemet
01-08-2003, 06:06 PM
I think it would be really interesting to be a fly on the wall when it comes to such issues at One Bills Drive....

- I thought it was a very telling thing when I heard that Kevin Gilbride was spending a lot of time working with the offensive line in training camp....when you are getting paid the coin that Vinkerlak is then the OC is not supposed to be doing the....he is supposed to be overseeing the whole offensive operation. You can bet that Vinkerlak was a substandard coach and now the bills are looking for a veteran guy who can help the line take the next step....I also think it speaks TONS about our O Line talent to be as good as they were without a proper coach....TONS....imagine how good they will be next year as these young talented guys get another year under their belt......

I think the linebacker firing was due to the misuse of Keith Newman who was a fricken stud for Ted Cottrell and then turns around and cannot get onto the field for the current defense....

In my opinion....regardless of how the defense played in the latter part of the year......Jerry Gray is going to be replaced/demoted and Lebeau is going to become DC....there are whispers of rumors that Greg WIlliams got heavily involved with the defense as the season went on because it was so bad at the beginning of the season....once again...if a DC is going to get payed that kind of coin then the HC should not be having to do his job for him....

Lebeau is a proven defensive coordinator with a proven track record of defensive success...in many way much like Wade Phillips....lousy head coach....awsome defensive coordinator....look what Wade did for the falcons......

The bills are on the right track....

Romes
01-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Great post John!

TigerJ
01-08-2003, 10:49 PM
A few thoughts:

I think that the worst decision Wade Philips made in his whole career, and he made some whoppers, was firing Bruce DeHaven and hiring Ronnie Jones. Rumor had it that Wade himself had given less and less attention to special teams (adequate personnel and practice time) and that was why it went downhill during his tenure, not DeHaven's coaching.

Ditto most of John's post, however one report I heard was that Aldridge (fired linebacker coach) actually complained that Newman was being misused and he advocated using him more to rush the QB as Cottrell had done and it was his superiors who got in the way of that happening.

I wasn't impressed with Vinklareks work, but I though he handled being dumped with a truckload of class. Kudos, Ronnie!

Did TD lie? I don't know. I don't like to accuse him just because everyone else thinks that the dismissal of Vinklarek and Aldridge happened one way and TD says it happened another way.

Kelly The Dog
01-08-2003, 11:29 PM
I think TD's comments had nothing to do with GW whatsoever but were meant simply to help Aldridge and Vinklarek get future jobs coaching. It was a classy, diplomatic way to put it and typical Donohoe.