PDA

View Full Version : This season is far from salvageable...

OpIv37
10-03-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm tired of the comparisons to last year's bad start and relatively good finish. There were some key differences last year- the big ones are:

1. Last year McGahee came in and gave the offense a spark. This year, McGahee's already playing well but it's not helping us win. The only spark could come from Roscoe Parrish, but he can't help if Losman can't get him the ball.

2. Last year, we had a dominating D that kept us in every game except the first NE game. This year, the D is a year older and missing 2 Pro Bowl players (Spikes and Pat Williams). I doubt they'll be as bad statistically against the run at the end of the season, but we can't count on them for points, turnovers and other game-changing plays like we could last year.

3. Last year, we had a much easier schedule. Miami was so bad that those two games were almost guaranteed wins, and the NFC West is a joke, unlike the NFC South. Miami is playing much better. Cincinnatti is playing much better. And we still have to play NE twice, Oakland, KC, Denver and Carolina.

I think we're pretty much screwed, but here's what has to happen to have any hope this year:

1. Pound the ball on the ground with both McGahee and Losman. Plan short passes for Losman, and if it's not there have him take off. And just ram McGahee down the opponents' throat until they prove they can stop him. So far no one has.

2. Bring in Winborn. Yeah, it's a gamble, but this D needs a spark without TKO and I don't know where else to get it.

3. Get Parrish back and find a way to get him and Lee Evans the ball. Reverses, screens, sideline routes- whatever Losman can throw. These guys just need to get their hands on the football more.

4. Sam Adams and London Fletcher better step it up. I want to hear one of their names called on every play that goes less than 8 yards.

Michael82
10-03-2005, 11:20 AM
You just proved why it is salvageable. Good post. :clap:

Mudflap1
10-03-2005, 11:26 AM
2. Bring in Winborn. Yeah, it's a gamble, but this D needs a spark without TKO and I don't know where else to get it.
I disagree. Crowell was not the problem yesterday. Why throw away a draft pick to bring in a guy that might only be marginally better? The defense played good enough for 3+ quarters yesterday to win. Only at the end did they get tired and basically give up (which is not good) when the offense went for it on 4th down and put them in a bad situation.

Jon

Michael82
10-03-2005, 11:42 AM
I disagree. Crowell was not the problem yesterday. Why throw away a draft pick to bring in a guy that might only be marginally better? The defense played good enough for 3+ quarters yesterday to win. Only at the end did they get tired and basically give up (which is not good) when the offense went for it on 4th down and put them in a bad situation.

Jon
I think that he's thinking about bringing Winborn in to replace Posey. I like that move. Posey sucks!

Mudflap1
10-03-2005, 11:58 AM
I think that he's thinking about bringing Winborn in to replace Posey. I like that move. Posey sucks!
I don't think Posey is the problem either. Who was pass rushing yesterday? Nobody seemed to get through. To be honest, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of blitzing. They seemed to stay back, the opposite of what they did to Michael Vick, to try to contain, but that didn't work either.

Defensive problems yesterday:

1. They got tired. McAllister ran all over them in the 4th quarter.

2. No pass rush. Nobody got through.

3. Because of the pass rush, the secondary gave up BIG plays in intermediate crossing routes. Troy Vincent seems slow out there the last two games.

I say we blitz the living crap out of Miami this week and hope for the best. If you're going to go down, might as well go down swinging.

Jon

OpIv37
10-03-2005, 11:59 AM

Jon

I don't have any problem with how Crowell played- I just think Winborn might be more of a playmaker. And also we need some depth- if another starter goes down and we have to bring in Josh Stamer, we're screwed.

Mudflap1
10-03-2005, 12:03 PM
We weren't winning with Spikes, what's Winborn going to do? Save the pick...

Jon

OpIv37
10-03-2005, 12:05 PM
I'd rather have a proven player than a draft pick. Draft picks are always a crap shoot, especially mid-round or later.

Mudflap1
10-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Not if we have a good GM after the season!

Seriously, save the pick, hopefully we have a REAL general manager next season (like the Eagles' player personnel man -- they know how to find lots of mid-round talent), and stockpile players.

Jon

mybills
10-03-2005, 12:14 PM
The defense would be able to last longer if they got to rest. Like if the OL did their job and gave the QB some time. They didn't give it to Drew, they don't give it to JP, and they don't give it to Holcomb.

btw, I saw Teague look lost again. :mad: I'm sick of him. :down:
I walked away from the tv several times. There's no excuse for that OL. You'd think they'd be much better since MM was an O coach before. :shakeno:

OpIv37
10-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Not if we have a good GM after the season!

Seriously, save the pick, hopefully we have a REAL general manager next season (like the Eagles' player personnel man -- they know how to find lots of mid-round talent), and stockpile players.

Jon

you may have a point, but what if we have another injury to Fletcher or Posey? Then we have Crowell and Stamer as starting LB's- scary.

mysticsoto
10-03-2005, 12:30 PM
you may have a point, but what if we have another injury to Fletcher or Posey? Then we have Crowell and Stamer as starting LB's- scary.
Yes, but FBH would be happy. :funny:

Seriously though, if Winborn was so good, why hasn't he been picked up by a team already???

OpIv37
10-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Yes, but FBH would be happy. :funny:

Seriously though, if Winborn was so good, why hasn't he been picked up by a team already???

that's a good question. But the 49ers still have his rights, so a trade is necessary. Basically that mean a team has to
A. Want Winborn
B. Have something that the 49ers want
C. Be willing to give up what the 49ers want.

That limits the options right there- maybe no one wants him, or maybe the teams that want him aren't willing to pay the 49ers price (which, IMO, is stupid on the 49ers' part- Winborn is getting paid and taking up a roster spot for nothing- they should take anything they're offered).

Drive 4 Five
10-03-2005, 02:20 PM

Jon

The defense gave up (in the end) because the coaches gave up by punting the ball with just over four minutes to go and down by two scores. That to me is just freakin' ridiculous. Who the hell is going to play for a coach who makes decisions like that? What makes anyone think that Winborn would even want to come here in the first place?

Drive 4 Five
10-03-2005, 02:24 PM

Oh you mean the same Josh Stamer who all but cost McGee the touchdown by running in front of him, in his way, and looking back at him instead of helping the others to push the defender out of the way so that the stockpile that ultimately tripped up McGee was never near him in the first place? Yeah that is the guy I want starting at LB. Scary is a serious understatement.

footballhottie
10-15-2005, 11:27 PM
hey thats BS stamer didnt do that....

The_Philster
10-16-2005, 04:52 AM
hey thats BS stamer didnt do that....
uhhh..yes..he did

mybills
10-16-2005, 06:44 AM
uhhh..yes..he did
Love is blind! :snicker:

DynaPaul
10-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Love is blind! :snicker:

Stamer has a face that even his own Mother doesn't love!