• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G. Host
    Banned
    • Jul 2002

NJ Jiants and Jets to share NJ stadium

Why not just make them official NJ teams?

The New York Giants and Jets have reached agreement on a deal for a new stadium in the Meadowlands.

The New York Giants and Jets agreed Thursday to build a stadium in the Meadowlands that would become the first NFL venue to be owned and operated by two teams.

The facility will be built near state-owned Giants Stadium, which is currently home to both teams and is among the league's oldest stadiums.

Specific details about the stadium plan are to be developed over the next several months, including its new name. The teams plan to put the naming rights up for bid.

Acting Gov. Richard J. Codey announced the deal during a press conference at the stadium, saying it would guarantee both teams remain in New Jersey for the next 99 years.

Codey, appearing with the owners of both teams, said the Jets would also relocate their practice facility to New Jersey. The Jets now practice at Hofstra University on Long Island.

The project would create "tens of thousands of new jobs," Codey said, adding he was also looking forward to revenue from income taxes from the Jets' payroll.
  • BleedinGreenNC
    • Sep 2004

Re: NJ Jiants and Jets to share NJ stadium

Originally posted by G. Host
    Why not just make them official NJ teams?

The New York Giants and Jets have reached agreement on a deal for a new stadium in the Meadowlands.

The New York Giants and Jets agreed Thursday to build a stadium in the Meadowlands that would become the first NFL venue to be owned and operated by two teams.

The facility will be built near state-owned Giants Stadium, which is currently home to both teams and is among the league's oldest stadiums.

Specific details about the stadium plan are to be developed over the next several months, including its new name. The teams plan to put the naming rights up for bid.

Acting Gov. Richard J. Codey announced the deal during a press conference at the stadium, saying it would guarantee both teams remain in New Jersey for the next 99 years.

Codey, appearing with the owners of both teams, said the Jets would also relocate their practice facility to New Jersey. The Jets now practice at Hofstra University on Long Island.

The project would create "tens of thousands of new jobs," Codey said, adding he was also looking forward to revenue from income taxes from the Jets' payroll.
    Great question!! i have been trying to figure that one out for years, good find!

Comment

• CuseJetsFan83
      Closet Bills Fan
      • Nov 2004

the giants have been in jersey since giants stadium came about, as well as their headquarters were there...... the jets didnt have any qualms because of hofstra as their hq/practice facilities.

now both are in jersey maybe they are just capatilizing on the NYC aspect... since it is ny metro.... but should be the jersey jets and jersey giants

j-e-t-s
      jets jets jets (insert suck for those who aren't gangreen fans)

Comment

• G. Host
        Banned
        • Jul 2002

The ONLY reason I see they do not rename the teams is for prestige in being associated with NYC (as much as it is). However new team names mean new gear which fans will buy meaning more money for teams; same thing happened w/Boston Patriots. There must be SOME company centered in NJ which would want to buy the naming rights and state 'just because we are centered in NJ rather than NYC, does not make us a minor player."

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by G. Host

The project would create "tens of thousands of new jobs," Codey said, adding he was also looking forward to revenue from income taxes from the Jets' payroll.[/b]
          someone got bad advice. Stadiums do not typically generate jobs, at least not the type of high-paying jobs. And New Jersey is expected to bring in 9 BILLION in income tax revenue this year- I highly doubt a few football salaries is going to make a significant difference.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Cntrygal
            Visually stunning but camera-shy.
            • Jul 2002

I consider them Jersey teams and correct everyone when they say NY has three teams.
            Originally posted by notacon
            The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• NJFINSFAN1
              NJ In The House
              • Nov 2004

I live 20 minutes from the Meadowlands, and it ticks me off that they call them NY teams. And now the Jets have said they will move everything form NY to southern Bergen County (which is great for me and my taxes).

So the Giants and Jets will both be based in NJ, practice in NJ, have offices in NJ, why not get some balls and call your teams NJ?

Time To Ski!

Comment

• Michael82
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by NJFINSFAN1
                I live 20 minutes from the Meadowlands, and it ticks me off that they call them NY teams. And now the Jets have said they will move everything form NY to southern Bergen County (which is great for me and my taxes).

So the Giants and Jets will both be based in NJ, practice in NJ, have offices in NJ, why not get some balls and call your teams NJ?
                Great post! I totally agree. They should be officially renamed the New Jersey Jets and New Jersey Giants and everyone should now quit calling them New York's 2 teams. There is only 1 and it's the Buffalo Bills.

New York didn't want the Jets. **** them!

Comment

• DarbyTheDinosaur
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                  someone got bad advice. Stadiums do not typically generate jobs, at least not the type of high-paying jobs. And New Jersey is expected to bring in 9 BILLION in income tax revenue this year- I highly doubt a few football salaries is going to make a significant difference.
                  I think the "generation of thousands of jobs" refers to the planning and constrcution of the new stadium...not necessarily the staff that will be hired upon completion.

As far a tax revenues, sure...a few football salaries won't have a significant effect but remember, they get to tax every single player and coach that steps foot in the stadium and earns money...including visitors.
                  Additionally, taxes on everything else associated will continue to boost NJ...food, beer, merchandise...

Other than that...I vote "YEA" on calling them the New Jersey Jets.
                  You people are depressing me...try this out so my doctor can take me off my meds!!!

op·ti·mism

1.a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2.the belief that goodness pervades reality.

Comment

• BleedinGreenNC
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by DarbyTheDinosaur
                    I think the "generation of thousands of jobs" refers to the planning and constrcution of the new stadium...not necessarily the staff that will be hired upon completion.

As far a tax revenues, sure...a few football salaries won't have a significant effect but remember, they get to tax every single player and coach that steps foot in the stadium and earns money...including visitors.
                    Additionally, taxes on everything else associated will continue to boost NJ...food, beer, merchandise...

Other than that...I vote "YEA" on calling them the New Jersey Jets.
                    It would make sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X