PDA

View Full Version : Hard to get 1,000 yrds?

bills&sabresmvf
10-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Is it really fair to judge a solid running back in the NFL by 1,000 yards rushing in a season. If you look at it like this, McGahee only needs to get 52 yards a game the rest of the season to get 1,000 yards. Do you really think it's fair to judge running backs by this? Just an opinion, thought I'd throw it out there. GO BILLS, as a Bills fan, we never say die. Even if we don't muster much this season, we still are the best fans in the league because we never give up. This is what makes being a fan so much fun. GO BILLS! Squish the Fish!

Cntrygal
10-03-2005, 06:31 PM
In most cases it would probably be a better indication of the OL - but they're not the "star".

Anyway.... good to see you posting!

bills&sabresmvf
10-03-2005, 06:36 PM
I would have posted and replied earlier, but it wouldn't let me, I guess there was a mixup in my registration, I've been a member since last May, I love to chim in. I've worked for Empire/ ch. 7/ and tw cable in Jamestown. I'm there every wednesday for media day, I love the Bills!

MTBillsFan
10-03-2005, 06:46 PM
good, lets hope willis can get about 4 times that (52 yards/game) on the fishes! with about 4 TD's as well! :pimped:

GO BILLS!!!

Typ0
10-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Is it really fair to judge a solid running back in the NFL by 1,000 yards rushing in a season. If you look at it like this, McGahee only needs to get 52 yards a game the rest of the season to get 1,000 yards. Do you really think it's fair to judge running backs by this? Just an opinion, thought I'd throw it out there. GO BILLS, as a Bills fan, we never say die. Even if we don't muster much this season, we still are the best fans in the league because we never give up. This is what makes being a fan so much fun. GO BILLS! Squish the Fish!

not sure it's an issue of fairness...more like reasonability. I don't think it's reasonable to say it's a good back if he gets a 1000 yards...but it is reasonable if that back can put together a string of 1000 yard seasons. There just are too many mediocre backs that can put up those yards behind a good line or an offense that is always ahead in the games they play. However, if a back can continue to get those yards it tells me they are up to the mark of playing in the NFL...and they aren't just a fluke in a system that clicked in a season or two. Personally, I'd rather judge the back on what they do on first and third downs...if they can get the tough yards consistently that make first downs...then that becomes a huge weapon in the NFL.

Cntrygal
10-03-2005, 06:51 PM
good, lets hope willis can get about 4 times that (52 yards/game) on the fishes! with about 4 TD's as well! :pimped:

GO BILLS!!!

It would ALMOST be too sweet if in addition our ST and D could score a couple times too. :biggrin:

:squish:

Typ0
10-03-2005, 06:53 PM
another thing...any back that starts 16 games SHOULD get 1000 yards or they aren't up to snuff. So the 1000 yard mark is the lower level hurdle for a quality back. Like I said...how they do on first and third downs is very important.