PDA

View Full Version : Very interesting Mr. Lindell

JD
10-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Stats of the Week No. 7: Buffalo kicker Rian Lindell, who missed a key 45-yard field-goal attempt in the Bills-Saints game, has not hit a field goal from beyond 44 yards since November 2002.
http://nfl.com/news/story/8925120

JD
10-04-2005, 02:07 PM
This one is better...
Stats of the Week No. 8: Buffalo has scored only 3 points in the second half all season.

or maybe this one...
Why Are You Punting???????????: Trailing 16-7 with 4:21 remaining, Buffalo faced fourth-and-5 on its 35; in came the punting unit. Sure fourth-and-5 is a tough down, but you trail by two scores with the sun setting on the game: all New Orleans had to do was go three-and-out and the clock situation would become impossible. It took the Saints only four snaps to get past the point where they would have been had the Bills gone for it and missed anyway. Two weeks ago, the Bills trailing by 13 on the final play of the third quarter, coach Mike Mularkey ordered a punt from the opposition 39, signaling his players it was okay to quit on the game -- that the priority was containing the margin of defeat. Again this week Mularkey seemed more concerned with containing the margin of defeat, thus deflecting criticism from himself, then trying all-out to win. Tuesday Morning Quarterback asks: if Bill Belichick is trailing 16-7 with 4:21 remaining and facing fourth-and-5, is there even one chance in a million he sends in the punt unit?

or this one...
Worst Blocks: In my preseason preview, I noted Buffalo management's strange indifference to the team's need for offensive linemen. During the past five drafts, the Bills have invested eight No. 1 and No. 2 picks in the glamour positions of quarterback, running back and wide receiver; against only one first- or second-round pick invested in blockers. It's showing, as the Bills so far have a cover-your-eyes-awful offensive line. With the score close in Week 3, Buffalo failed to convert a fourth-quarter fourth-and-1 in opposition territory; the Bills offensive line got zero push. In a close game on Sunday, Buffalo failed to convert a fourth-quarter fourth-and-1 in opposition territory; five Saints hit the runner in the backfield! These were the decisive plays in Buffalo's past two losses, and on both the offensive line might as well have brought out pillows since it lay down on the field. To add insult to incompetency, on the snap before the failed fourth-and-1 against New Orleans, Buffalo failed on third-and-1 -- as the Bills offensive line got zero push. The Bills have only three touchdowns, and some blame the poor performance of new quarterback J.P. Losman. But pass-blocking is so consistently bad, Losman has to start scrambling on the count of "one thousand two." The Buffalo offensive line is going neck-and-neck with the Houston line for the dubious distinction of worst in the league -- but unlike the Texans, this season the Bills expected to go somewhere other than back to the drawing board.

Buckets
10-04-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't know if I should even bring this up but it keeps poping up in the back of my mind. Rusty Jones left the team this past off season didn't he? These guys look out of shape and are getting beat in the trenches. ??????????

dplus47
10-04-2005, 04:16 PM
This one is better...
Stats of the Week No. 8: Buffalo has scored only 3 points in the second half all season.

this could be its own spinoff thread with the title "very interesting, mr. mularkey..." what does he have them doing at halftime?

Typ0
10-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Why Are You Punting???????????: Trailing 16-7 with 4:21 remaining, Buffalo faced fourth-and-5 on its 35; in came the punting unit. Sure fourth-and-5 is a tough down, but you trail by two scores with the sun setting on the game: all New Orleans had to do was go three-and-out and the clock situation would become impossible. It took the Saints only four snaps to get past the point where they would have been had the Bills gone for it and missed anyway. Two weeks ago, the Bills trailing by 13 on the final play of the third quarter, coach Mike Mularkey ordered a punt from the opposition 39, signaling his players it was okay to quit on the game -- that the priority was containing the margin of defeat. Again this week Mularkey seemed more concerned with containing the margin of defeat, thus deflecting criticism from himself, then trying all-out to win. Tuesday Morning Quarterback asks: if Bill Belichick is trailing 16-7 with 4:21 remaining and facing fourth-and-5, is there even one chance in a million he sends in the punt unit?

If I remember correctly two weeks ago that was a 3rd and something like 17. This is what I've been saying about Lindell. Because he can't hit something in the mid 40s in that situation you cannot give the ball to McGahee. This is a sad situation as the defense is defending the first down marker and he should get 5-10 yards, maybe even use his talents to get a first down. Instead I think Lossman took the load and it was an incomplete pass.

I actually agreed with the other punt you were talking about. If you don't get that first down they are most likely going to get a field goal with makes it two TDs to win instead of a TD and a field goal. I think you have to try to get field position on them by pinning them deep (oops) and stopping them from getting a first down. If we can get the ball back we aren't even forced to score a TD on that possession...so we get down the field and get some kind of score...hopefully the TD of course. Then you look at the clock and see what you are dealing with. If you stop them...you might be able to score right after the two minute warning...that really is a lot of time to make a decision. In hindsight...it didn't work so you can bash the decision...but I can understand the reasoning.

Mike13
10-04-2005, 07:47 PM
this could be its own spinoff thread with the title "very interesting, mr. mularkey..." what does he have them doing at halftime?
Singing kumbaya probably.

Mitchy moo
10-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Singing kumbaya probably.
My Lord!