PDA

View Full Version : TD and JPL

illusionone
10-04-2005, 05:12 PM
Here are my thoughts,

I blame TD 100% for whats going on with this team this year. Here's why!

In the off season, TD came out publicly and made the statement that he thought this team could go to the play-offs with JP and Not Bledsoe. By doing this he put his 1st year starter (rookie) in the spotlight without knowing 100% if he could really do it. That being said, I don't think that keeping Bledsoe would have been the answer to this years problems, but TD could have handled the situation in a way that wouldn't have put so much pressure on JP, and JP could have had better results. Here's what I would have done. . . .

I would have come out publicly and said that Drew Bledsoe and JP Losman are goin gto duel it out in training camp for the starting role this year. What we would we have gained by doing this? Glad you asked. . .

Bledsoe would have stayed with the team if he thought he would have had a fair shot at the starting job. Worst case, Bledsoe beats out JP in camp and JP sits and learns. If Bledsoe sucks, then JP goes in and at least the media/fans are looking at it as the next best option. If he shines all is good, if he struggles, the media and fans would probably give him a pass for the year.

Not giving Bledsoe the chance to win the starting job told both the NFL world and JPL that JPL is going to be great right out of the box. Now, everytime you read something Bills related, they are slamming the kid. I don't think that would have been the case under my senario.

BTW - This is not a Pro Bledsoe, Anti-JPL thread - it is a Bills PR, Operation, player management thread, please keep it that way. . . .

-illusionone

JBrownFinFan
10-04-2005, 05:51 PM
:nuk:

finsrclowns
10-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Now, everytime you read something Bills related, they are slamming the kid. I don't think that would have been the case under my senario.

-illusionone

If he won the job and played exactly like he has I doubt he gets much more slack from the media as opposed to simply being named starter. I mean it's not like he didn't have the support and best wishes of everyone going in. He's getting panned for his play on the field, period. Whether he should have been named default starter in the first place is another issue (IMO he shouldn't have been). The bottom line is we were close to the playoffs last year and JP is on pace for a 4 win season. I can't see how JP got the job changes how anyone feels about that fact.

illusionone
10-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I see your point, but if JP had won the job and played like he has to date than they could have gone to DB as the back up who was familiar with the system and the players, and maybe save the season. As far as the media is concerned, the expectation wouldn't have been so high if he wasn't labeled a play-off caliber QB. TD and MM both came out and said that they felt they had a better chance of making the post season with JP automaticly creating a false hope.

IMHO,

-illusionone

If he won the job and played exactly like he has I doubt he gets much more slack from the media as opposed to simply being named starter. I mean it's not like he didn't have the support and best wishes of everyone going in. He's getting panned for his play on the field, period. Whether he should have been named default starter in the first place is another issue (IMO he shouldn't have been). The bottom line is we were close to the playoffs last year and JP is on pace for a 4 win season. I can't see how JP got the job changes how anyone feels about that fact.

EDS
10-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Let me ask you a question: What the heck else would ANY GM worth a damn say about a team that just missed the playoffs and made the decision to go with a young QB?

Would he say the team is not good enough to make the playoffs with the kidd QB? No. Cinncinnati (Kitna to Palmer), NY Giants (Warner to Manning), Jacksonville (Brunell to Leftwich), are examples of recent teams with playoff aspirations that made the switch to young QBs. I doubt any of those GMs said the team was going to be worse in the long run with the young QB.

Besides, are fans so naive as to believe everything a GM, coach or sportswriter says? No, of course not. Did you honestly think the Bills would not struggle at the start of the season with a virtual rookie QB? Do you think Bledsoe was going to take the Bills to the Super Bowl? No again. So why not move on and see if the kid can play?

I cannot believe the lack of patience and long term vision some people have. JP needs to take his lumps this year (like Manning did last year, and Leftwich, Palmer and others did as first year players) so that the Bills can be good next year.

illusionone
10-04-2005, 07:32 PM
1st off - if you ask 85% of the people on this list if they thought based off of the media, TD & MM comments about JP, if they thought, going into the season that JP was ready to take a play-off caliber team to the play-offs, I bet they would all say yes I thought he could.

This team was ready to go into the play-offs, this is a good football team, and to throw an inexperienced QB in the mold was just down right foolish.

Again, this team is rebuilt minus the QB position, seriously, they set the franchise back at least 2-3 years. I'm not saying they had to stick with Bledsoe, but they should have tried another option other than an unproven JP. At best they shouldn't of handed the keys to a play-off caliber team to a rookie. They should have made him beat out another QB in training camp.

My original point was not to pit Bledsoe vs Losman. My point was that everybody painted a rosy picture of the "FUTURE" and never sat back to realize the pressure cooker they were putting him in by making him out to be something he wasn't (they meaning TD & MM). MM and TD have been around long enough to know that a mediocre football team in the 05-06 season would not cut it with Bills fans. They had to have known that their little experiment, if failed, would do allot of damage to the club and to JP's confidence. Lets face it, the Bills fan base historicly is not kind when it comes to their struggling QB's......

-illusionone

Let me ask you a question: What the heck else would ANY GM worth a damn say about a team that just missed the playoffs and made the decision to go with a young QB?

Would he say the team is not good enough to make the playoffs with the kidd QB? No. Cinncinnati (Kitna to Palmer), NY Giants (Warner to Manning), Jacksonville (Brunell to Leftwich), are examples of recent teams with playoff aspirations that made the switch to young QBs. I doubt any of those GMs said the team was going to be worse in the long run with the young QB.

Besides, are fans so naive as to believe everything a GM, coach or sportswriter says? No, of course not. Did you honestly think the Bills would not struggle at the start of the season with a virtual rookie QB? Do you think Bledsoe was going to take the Bills to the Super Bowl? No again. So why not move on and see if the kid can play?

I cannot believe the lack of patience and long term vision some people have. JP needs to take his lumps this year (like Manning did last year, and Leftwich, Palmer and others did as first year players) so that the Bills can be good next year.

finsrclowns
10-04-2005, 07:33 PM
I see your point, but if JP had won the job and played like he has to date than they could have gone to DB as the back up who was familiar with the system and the players, and maybe save the season. As far as the media is concerned, the expectation wouldn't have been so high if he wasn't labeled a play-off caliber QB. TD and MM both came out and said that they felt they had a better chance of making the post season with JP automaticly creating a false hope.

IMHO,

-illusionone

At the end of the day either JP can play or he can't. Are you saying he's worried about the Buffalo News when he's bouncing throws and missing reads? Bad is bad. Personally I'm glad Bledsoe's not here to clean up TD and Mularkey's mess. Based on what I've seen if there had been a real open competition for the starting job JP wouldn't have beaten out Bledsoe or Holcomb or Matthews. So I give TD and Mularkey some credit for at least being honest with Bledsoe instead of pretending there was a competition and then sandbagging him. That's not to say JP won't improve. But to say he was ready to lead a playoff push preseason was always pie in the sky. That much is obvious.

finsrclowns
10-04-2005, 07:40 PM

Again, this team is rebuilt minus the QB position, seriously, they set the franchise back at least 2-3 years. I'm not saying they had to stick with Bledsoe, but they should have tried another option other than an unproven JP. At best they shouldn't of handed the keys to a play-off caliber team to a rookie. They should have made him beat out another QB in training camp.

-illusionone

We're not totally out of it right now. So please tell me why Kelly Holcomb isn't playing on Sunday? He's getting almost as much money this year as Bledsoe is making in Dallas and Bledsoe's starting. Did they sign him to play only if JP gets hurt? I would have thought he was also "JP's not ready" insurance. If he wasn't, then the whole "no step back" propaganda was indeed a sick charade.

illusionone
10-04-2005, 07:44 PM
I don't see how you give them credit. If he couldn't beat out the three QB's you mentioned why would they go with him. This team, last year, was clearly a near play-off team. They took a team that was almost there, and sent them the wrong freakin way. With the way things are in the NFL you have to strike while the iron's hot - look at the Pats, they struck while the iron was hot, now a few key players gone and injuries, they could be middle of the road for awhile. The Bills are letting there moment slip away - even if JP comes around in the next year or so, they are 2 injuries away from being a middle of the road team again. The Bills do not have the depth that the Pats had over the last 4 years.

As far as thge Pie in the sky comment - again, they had the make-up of a great football team, why would they let it slip away by jumping the gun.

I don't blame the players, I blame management,

-illusionone

At the end of the day either JP can play or he can't. Are you saying he's worried about the Buffalo News when he's bouncing throws and missing reads? Bad is bad. Personally I'm glad Bledsoe's not here to clean up TD and Mularkey's mess. Based on what I've seen if there had been a real open competition for the starting job JP wouldn't have beaten out Bledsoe or Holcomb or Matthews. So I give TD and Mularkey some credit for at least being honest with Bledsoe instead of pretending there was a competition and then sandbagging him. That's not to say JP won't improve. But to say he was ready to lead a playoff push preseason was always pie in the sky. That much is obvious.

illusionone
10-04-2005, 07:49 PM
I agree - Why not put him - If they signed KH as insurance, then the time is now. This isn't the NFC where you can win your division playing .500 ball. They really need to evaluate the situation and put in the QB that will win games and not save face.

-illusionone

We're not totally out of it right now. So please tell me why Kelly Holcomb isn't playing on Sunday? He's getting almost as much money this year as Bledsoe is making in Dallas and Bledsoe's starting. Did they sign him to play only if JP gets hurt? I would have thought he was also "JP's not ready" insurance. If he wasn't, then the whole "no step back" propaganda was indeed a sick charade.

finsrclowns
10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
I don't see how you give them credit. If he couldn't beat out the three QB's you mentioned why would they go with him. This team, last year, was clearly a near play-off team. They took a team that was almost there, and sent them the wrong freakin way. With the way things are in the NFL you have to strike while the iron's hot - look at the Pats, they struck while the iron was hot, now a few key players gone and injuries, they could be middle of the road for awhile. The Bills are letting there moment slip away - even if JP comes around in the next year or so, they are 2 injuries away from being a middle of the road team again. The Bills do not have the depth that the Pats had over the last 4 years.

As far as thge Pie in the sky comment - again, they had the make-up of a great football team, why would they let it slip away by jumping the gun.

I don't blame the players, I blame management,

-illusionone

I agree they went about it wrong. Your original point was somehow that has impacted JP's play. That's the part that doesn't hold water with me. He is what he is.

finsrclowns
10-04-2005, 07:56 PM
I agree - Why not put him - If they signed KH as insurance, then the time is now. This isn't the NFC where you can win your division playing .500 ball. They really need to evaluate the situation and put in the QB that will win games and not save face.

-illusionone

You're right. I haven't heard one single cogent argument for why giving KH 4 games to see if he can right a sinking ship is a bad idea. Not one. But it appears the majority polled have the backbone of the French army.

illusionone
10-04-2005, 07:59 PM
I could see how a new QB could come into a pressure cooker (AKA Buffalo NY) and be completely dazzled from bad press, frustrated teammates. I could see how he could have that on his mind while he was playing, how it could bother him and somehow affect his play.

It takes years of experience and hard times in order to build a resistance to that kind of pressure.

-illusionone

I agree they went about it wrong. Your original point was somehow that has impacted JP's play. That's the part that doesn't hold water with me. He is what he is.

illusionone
10-04-2005, 08:02 PM
lol! At this point I feel that leaving JP in to get thrown around would do more harm than sitting him for 4 games.
It's only going to get worse - when he plays the phins or Pats, they are going to destroy him - it's just not fair.

You're right. I haven't heard one single cogent argument for why giving KH 4 games to see if he can right a sinking ship is a bad idea. Not one. But it appears the majority polled have the backbone of the French army.

finsrclowns
10-04-2005, 08:07 PM
lol! At this point I feel that leaving JP in to get thrown around would do more harm than sitting him for 4 games.
It's only going to get worse - when he plays the phins or Pats, they are going to destroy him - it's just not fair.

See that's my point- IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT JP AND HIS WIDDLE FEELINGS. I'm not concerned sitting him would hurt his confidence. I'm not concerned playing him will hurt his confidence. I'm concerned about the Buffalo Bills winning games, beginning this Sunday. Any other agenda makes no sense to me. :down:

illusionone
10-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Agreed
See that's my point- IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT JP AND HIS WIDDLE FEELINGS. I'm not concerned sitting him would hurt his confidence. I'm not concerned playing him will hurt his confidence. I'm concerned about the Buffalo Bills winning games, beginning this Sunday. Any other agenda makes no sense to me. :down:

EDS
10-04-2005, 08:52 PM
1st off - if you ask 85% of the people on this list if they thought based off of the media, TD & MM comments about JP, if they thought, going into the season that JP was ready to take a play-off caliber team to the play-offs, I bet they would all say yes I thought he could.

This team was ready to go into the play-offs, this is a good football team, and to throw an inexperienced QB in the mold was just down right foolish.

My original point was not to pit Bledsoe vs Losman. My point was that everybody painted a rosy picture of the "FUTURE" and never sat back to realize the pressure cooker they were putting him in by making him out to be something he wasn't (they meaning TD & MM). MM and TD have been around long enough to know that a mediocre football team in the 05-06 season would not cut it with Bills fans. They had to have known that their little experiment, if failed, would do allot of damage to the club and to JP's confidence. Lets face it, the Bills fan base historicly is not kind when it comes to their struggling QB's......

-illusionone

I think you are wrong. Just like Cinncinati last year, and the Giants in the second half of last year, the Bills were going to struggle. this year - particularly in the first 6-8 games. There is clear precedent for this.

Tom Coughlin took serious heat for benching Warner last season despite the Giants having a winning record. In hindsight, he looks like a genious.

Cinncinati is another great example. They were 8-8 and on the verge of the playoffs with Kitna at the helm. Did I mention that Kitna went to the pro bowl? What does Marvin Lewis do - he benches his pro bowl quarterback and hands to QB job on a playoff caliber team to a QB with ZERO experience.

Neither the Bengals or the Giants made the playoffs last year. The Bills probably will not make it this year either. Next year will be the true test - either JP shines and leads the team into contention or he is a David Carr/Joey Harrington/Kyle Boller type who was not worth a first round draft pick.

finsrclowns
10-04-2005, 09:07 PM
I think you are wrong. Just like Cinncinati last year, and the Giants in the second half of last year, the Bills were going to struggle. this year - particularly in the first 6-8 games. There is clear precedent for this.

Tom Coughlin took serious heat for benching Warner last season despite the Giants having a winning record. In hindsight, he looks like a genious.

Cinncinati is another great example. They were 8-8 and on the verge of the playoffs with Kitna at the helm. Did I mention that Kitna went to the pro bowl? What does Marvin Lewis do - he benches his pro bowl quarterback and hands to QB job on a playoff caliber team to a QB with ZERO experience.

Neither the Bengals or the Giants made the playoffs last year. The Bills probably will not make it this year either. Next year will be the true test - either JP shines and leads the team into contention or he is a David Carr/Joey Harrington/Kyle Boller type who was not worth a first round draft pick.

So you're saying we were sold a bill of goods by TD and Mularkey on the team's chances this year with JP. I agree on that.

The difference between the two situations you discuss and Buffalo's are 1) the Giants were clearly not a playoff caliber team despite their 5-4 record when Coughlin benched Warner 2) Palmer had already shown in TWO preseasons that he was ready or nearly ready to play and the Bengals had a very young roster that would not be hurt by blowing off a season 3) The Bills have a D that has stars like Adams and Clement that may not be here next year and guys like Milloy, Vincent and Fletcher that aren't getting any younger 4) Bills fans have had enough of rebuilding. We want to win NOW.

Other that that I agree with everything you said. :tip:

EDS
10-04-2005, 09:57 PM
So you're saying we were sold a bill of goods by TD and Mularkey on the team's chances this year with JP. I agree on that.

The difference between the two situations you discuss and Buffalo's are 1) the Giants were clearly not a playoff caliber team despite their 5-4 record when Coughlin benched Warner 2) Palmer had already shown in TWO preseasons that he was ready or nearly ready to play and the Bengals had a very young roster that would not be hurt by blowing off a season 3) The Bills have a D that has stars like Adams and Clement that may not be here next year and guys like Milloy, Vincent and Fletcher that aren't getting any younger 4) Bills fans have had enough of rebuilding. We want to win NOW.

Other that that I agree with everything you said. :tip:

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. The Giants were 5-4 and it only took 8-8 to make the playoffs last year in the NFC, so it is not like they would have had to set the world on fire to make it.

The Bengals had/have some aging players too (since departed Dillon, Warrick, Hardy; old vets Anderson, Simmons, etc.), but went with the youth movement at QB despite a pro bowl veteran at the position.

And lets be honest, just making the playoffs doesn't mean a whole lot. If the Bills are going to have a chance to win a super bowl in the near future it will be with JP Losman at the helm (or some other QB to be drafted or that is not now, or has ever been, on the roster).

The Bills are doing the absolute right thing to spend the year developing Losman (or alternatively determining he is not the guy) so that the team has a real chance to contend in years to come.

illusionone
10-04-2005, 10:05 PM
The point of the thread was not to question JP's ability to lead the team, it was the way the whole situation came about. It reaks of poor management - almost like the Johnson/Flutie era - flat out poor management. BTW - I would go praising the NYG all that much, they haven't done anything yet, and to your point they are in a weak NFC. I could probably lead a team to the play-offs in the NFC.

-illusionone

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. The Giants were 5-4 and it only took 8-8 to make the playoffs last year in the NFC, so it is not like they would have had to set the world on fire to make it.

The Bengals had/have some aging players too (since departed Dillon, Warrick, Hardy; old vets Anderson, Simmons, etc.), but went with the youth movement at QB despite a pro bowl veteran at the position.

And lets be honest, just making the playoffs doesn't mean a whole lot. If the Bills are going to have a chance to win a super bowl in the near future it will be with JP Losman at the helm (or some other QB to be drafted or that is not now, or has ever been, on the roster).

The Bills are doing the absolute right thing to spend the year developing Losman (or alternatively determining he is not the guy) so that the team has a real chance to contend in years to come.

illusionone
10-04-2005, 10:06 PM
The point of the thread was not to question JP's ability to lead the team, it was the way the whole situation came about. It reaks of poor management - almost like the Johnson/Flutie era - flat out poor management. BTW - I wouldn't go praising the NYG all that much, they haven't done anything yet, and to your point they are in a weak NFC. I could probably lead a team to the play-offs in the NFC.

-illusionone

finsrclowns
10-04-2005, 10:42 PM

The Giants sucked last year and even they knew it. Warner was losing it quickly. We may not have beaten many good teams last year but we were smashing mediocre teams after a bad start. Teams like say....New Orleans.

Palmer was the Heisman winner and the first pick in the draft and Kitna was a journeyman that had a career season. Dillon wanted out and they had a very capable replacement. The other guys you mention the team has dumped because they didn't need them for various reasons. Is that the case with Buffalo on the players I mentioned? Please enlighten me. BTW, Losman was hardly considered a sure thing by most draft experts I read and many had him going to us in the 2nd. Big difference.

I dunno, I wanted the playoffs last year real bad. Glad you've got all the patience in the world.

And giving Holcomb 4 games prevents that from happening exactly how? If Holcomb bombs, JP goes back in. If Holcomb thrives JP learns the lesson that he has to earn his spot like the other 52 guys.

illusionone
10-05-2005, 08:27 AM
And giving Holcomb 4 games prevents that from happening exactly how? If Holcomb bombs, JP goes back in. If Holcomb thrives JP learns the lesson that he has to earn his spot like the other 52 guys.

:bf1: :bf1: :bf1:

justasportsfan
10-05-2005, 09:06 AM
I blame TD and the coaches. Right now Jp is no different from Ramsey. He's getting beaten up in his first year as a starter. TD and the coaches didn't put an OL good enough to protect a first year starter.

mysticsoto
10-05-2005, 09:22 AM
I blame TD and the coaches. Right now Jp is no different from Ramsey. He's getting beaten up in his first year as a starter. TD and the coaches didn't put an OL good enough to protect a first year starter.
I find it tough to blame TD for the Oline, this past year, there was no one really available in FA or the draft. We got Bennie Anderson, who despite his frequent penalties, has been decent on run blocking. And Gandy has been a big surprise. Jerman is a terrible backup, I have no idea why he is still here, but Preston appears to have been a good choice from the draft, even though I squawked a 'Who?' when we first got him. The good linemen like Spencer and Baas were gone pretty quickly. Should we have traded up and lost picks for them? That's tough. Look at Mike Williams and how we ended up with a mediocre tackle from a 4th choice pick in a 1st rd. We could not afford JJ or others like Verba. So what were the other options?

Besides, last year, the line got it together mid season and it was probably expected for it to continue that progression (much like the rest of the team was expected to play decent - defense for instance). It is puzzling that the chemistry is off on the team even though they developed it well mid season last year and they will need to sync back up like they did last year if they are going to win any this year.

I had thought Dylan McFarland was progressing well, I don't know why Jerman is playing RT right now instead of McFarland...

justasportsfan
10-05-2005, 09:58 AM
I find it tough to blame TD for the Oline, this past year, there was no one really available in FA or the draft. We got Bennie Anderson, who despite his frequent penalties, has been decent on run blocking. And Gandy has been a big surprise. Jerman is a terrible backup, I have no idea why he is still here, but Preston appears to have been a good choice from the draft, even though I squawked a 'Who?' when we first got him. The good linemen like Spencer and Baas were gone pretty quickly. Should we have traded up and lost picks for them? That's tough. Look at Mike Williams and how we ended up with a mediocre tackle from a 4th choice pick in a 1st rd. We could not afford JJ or others like Verba. So what were the other options?

Besides, last year, the line got it together mid season and it was probably expected for it to continue that progression (much like the rest of the team was expected to play decent - defense for instance). It is puzzling that the chemistry is off on the team even though they developed it well mid season last year and they will need to sync back up like they did last year if they are going to win any this year.

I had thought Dylan McFarland was progressing well, I don't know why Jerman is playing RT right now instead of McFarland... It's not that he didn't try ti fix the OL although some will argue he's neglected it over the years.

My problem is that so far this Ol has taken a step back from what it was last year. How long has TD been with this team and yet the best OL we had since he's been here was last year and that isn't saying much. Sure, we have injuries and cap problems. Try explaining that to the Pats.

His job is to build a team into a cohessive unit from the playes to the coaches. It isn't happening so far. Is it the players? Is it the coaches? All of which were TD's decisions.

Don't get me wrong, I still BILLIEVE , but it doesn't mean I cannot criticize the team for it's performance in the last few games and point to the ones responsible for the teams performance in those games. I said it before and I'll say it again, if we don't make playoffs, I want TD gone.

We weren't patient w/ Wade for taking us to the playoff twice. We still haven't made playoffs since TD came along.

BidsJr
10-05-2005, 10:25 AM
My question is........

If there was a week 18 in the NFL season last year would Losman have won the starting job over Frankendrew? I believe he would have. Blew's performance in the final game was the straw that broke the turtles back. Overruling the coaches preference of which end of the field to take at the coin toss, and then laying an egg was enough. In my opinion JP won the job that game over Deadsoe, because he showed us yet again that he can't win in big games.

JP was NOT handed the starting job, he won it. If Dredsoe was in the top third of QB's in performance we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Mularkey and Donahoe did the right thing after Horizontal Drew gave JP the job.

We now have to have patience and we will be rewarded with an INSPIRED QB who yearns for success. Would have never happened with Drew Comatose. :bf1:

BillsFever21
10-05-2005, 10:36 AM
My question is........

If there was a week 18 in the NFL season last year would Losman have won the starting job over Frankendrew? I believe he would have. Blew's performance in the final game was the straw that broke the turtles back. Overruling the coaches preference of which end of the field to take at the coin toss, and then laying an egg was enough. In my opinion JP won the job that game over Deadsoe, because he showed us yet again that he can't win in big games.

JP was NOT handed the starting job, he won it. If Dredsoe was in the top third of QB's in performance we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

We now have to have patience and we will be rewarded with an INSPIRED QB who yearns for success. Would have never happened with Drew Comatose. :bf1:
:clap:

Great post.

Who the hell did Drew think he was not listening to the coaches on what side of the field to take? What an a-hole. We didn't need somebody like that around.

mysticsoto
10-05-2005, 12:54 PM
It's not that he didn't try ti fix the OL although some will argue he's neglected it over the years.

My problem is that so far this Ol has taken a step back from what it was last year. How long has TD been with this team and yet the best OL we had since he's been here was last year and that isn't saying much. Sure, we have injuries and cap problems. Try explaining that to the Pats.

His job is to build a team into a cohessive unit from the playes to the coaches. It isn't happening so far. Is it the players? Is it the coaches? All of which were TD's decisions.

Don't get me wrong, I still BILLIEVE , but it doesn't mean I cannot criticize the team for it's performance in the last few games and point to the ones responsible for the teams performance in those games. I said it before and I'll say it again, if we don't make playoffs, I want TD gone.

We weren't patient w/ Wade for taking us to the playoff twice. We still haven't made playoffs since TD came along.
I would disagree with your assertion that it is TD's job to build a team into a cohesive unit. That is Mularkey's job. One of the problems that we have besides JP being so green is that we can't forget that Mularkey is green too. He lacks a great deal of experience and sometimes it shows in the calls they do and decisions they make (kicking on 4th down in the 4th quarter despite being down 2 scores) and sometimes I suspect there are things that don't readily show so easily. Mularkey's inability so far to pull this team together - especially the defense is probably a sign of his greenness also. Maybe another coach with experience would have been better though, so I'll agree with criticizing TD for his lack of ability to pick good coaches. Mularkey might be able to become a good coach in the future, but right now, his greenness is costing us also.

Am I calling for his head, certainly not. I like what he was able to get the team to do last year and hope he can turn this team around this year also. Since he is new, I am willing to give him some leeway (sp ?).

I also have a problem with the mentality that if we don't make the playoffs, TD should be gone. First of all, I never aim for the playoffs - to me, that is meaningless. It means you are maybe a decent team but with some bad/low draft picks the following year. You either aim for a superbowl or it means nothing. I can't look at TD and say everything he has done is terrible. Maybe there could have been better decisions on some things, but there are some things I have to applaud him in - bringing Spikes in, Sam Adams, getting something out of nothing with Peerless Price leaving, getting McGahee and Evans. Parrish may fit in this list in the future, etc. I like some of the personnel we have. Our Oline is probably our biggest achilles heel. If we could change that around and make it stronger - our team would look alot better than what it looks like right now. That one single change would have a cascade effect on the rest of the team.

But like any position, sometimes it is hard to predict how linemen do when they come into the NFL. Mike Williams looked like a good pick when we picked him up and many people thought and agreed that Buffalo did the right thing in picking him. He's been average/mediocre when in, and is definitely not worth what we are paying him - that's why I'm not really an advocate of taking Olinemen in the 1st rd.

Rob Petiti was ranked pretty low on most teams scorecard this past draft. And yet, Parcells and Jones picked him up in the 6th round and he is currently starting for them on their right side. Sometimes you have to throw the dice and hope the numbers come out. Unfortunately, they don't usually seem to come out well for Buffalo...

HULKFish
10-05-2005, 12:58 PM
Mularkey is what it is... Getting rid of Bledsoe was stupid!! You guys were contenders last year...

justasportsfan
10-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I would disagree with your assertion that it is TD's job to build a team into a cohesive unit. That is Mularkey's job. One of the problems that we have besides JP being so green is that we can't forget that Mularkey is green too. He lacks a great deal of experience and sometimes it shows in the calls they do and decisions they make (kicking on 4th down in the 4th quarter despite being down 2 scores) and sometimes I suspect there are things that don't readily show so easily. Mularkey's inability so far to pull this team together - especially the defense is probably a sign of his greenness also. Maybe another coach with experience would have been better though, so I'll agree with criticizing TD for his lack of ability to pick good coaches. Mularkey might be able to become a good coach in the future, but right now, his greenness is costing us also.

Am I calling for his head, certainly not. I like what he was able to get the team to do last year and hope he can turn this team around this year also. Since he is new, I am willing to give him some leeway (sp ?).

I also have a problem with the mentality that if we don't make the playoffs, TD should be gone. First of all, I never aim for the playoffs - to me, that is meaningless. It means you are maybe a decent team but with some bad/low draft picks the following year. You either aim for a superbowl or it means nothing. I can't look at TD and say everything he has done is terrible. Maybe there could have been better decisions on some things, but there are some things I have to applaud him in - bringing Spikes in, Sam Adams, getting something out of nothing with Peerless Price leaving, getting McGahee and Evans. Parrish may fit in this list in the future, etc. I like some of the personnel we have. Our Oline is probably our biggest achilles heel. If we could change that around and make it stronger - our team would look alot better than what it looks like right now. That one single change would have a cascade effect on the rest of the team.

But like any position, sometimes it is hard to predict how linemen do when they come into the NFL. Mike Williams looked like a good pick when we picked him up and many people thought and agreed that Buffalo did the right thing in picking him. He's been average/mediocre when in, and is definitely not worth what we are paying him - that's why I'm not really an advocate of taking Olinemen in the 1st rd.

Rob Petiti was ranked pretty low on most teams scorecard this past draft. And yet, Parcells and Jones picked him up in the 6th round and he is currently starting for them on their right side. Sometimes you have to throw the dice and hope the numbers come out. Unfortunately, they don't usually seem to come out well for Buffalo...One question, who hired Mularkey and GW?

Like I said, I think MM is a good X and O guy, I have yet to see how he is able to get this team fired up and ready to go every Sunday. So far, he's only beaten weaker teams.

If he can't outsmart Saban this Sunday, we can count the Pats game as 2 automatic losses.

finsrclowns
10-05-2005, 01:05 PM
My question is........

I shudder to think what Losman would look like right now against the Steelers D, 1st or 2nd team. Calling Bledsoe names doesn't make your case. You want to argue Drew wasn't good enough, fine but how does Drew's performance in any way elevate JP's play? Bledsoe's not here to kick around any more in case you haven't noticed. If you had half a clue you might have figured out that the OL which people are using as an excuse for JP got manhandled in the Pitt game and in most of the previous 47 games Bledsoe played in. But I didn't use that as an excuse for DB then and I'm not honoring it as an excuse for JP now. Remember that was part of the sales package- the line will look much better without the statue back there. Well, does it?? And BTW, I'm not looking for an inspired QB, I'm looking for a QB that inspires his teammates. Can you honestly say that's happening right now?:crazed:

illusionone
10-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Again, this post is not a Anti Drew post. Your badgering of Bledsoe takes all your credibility away. It was a waste of my time and everybody elses to read your post. :negrep:

My question is........

The_Philster
10-05-2005, 03:34 PM
I had thought Dylan McFarland was progressing well, I don't know why Jerman is playing RT right now instead of McFarland...Because Jerman is on the 53-man roster..McFarland is on the practice squad...which, for the life of me, I don't understand

BidsJr
10-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Again, this post is not a Anti Drew post. Your badgering of Bledsoe takes all your credibility away. It was a waste of my time and everybody elses to read your post. :negrep:

I'm an internet message board poster WTH do I care?

illusionone
10-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Why even post if you are going to have that attitude

I'm an internet message board poster WTH do I care?

mysticsoto
10-06-2005, 08:25 AM
One question, who hired Mularkey and GW?

Like I said, I think MM is a good X and O guy, I have yet to see how he is able to get this team fired up and ready to go every Sunday. So far, he's only beaten weaker teams.

If he can't outsmart Saban this Sunday, we can count the Pats game as 2 automatic losses.
That's what I'm saying - that if there is anything you can criticize TD for it is his choices for coach. Although it might be too early to judge Mularkey yet. But new coaches usually take time before getting it going. Belichick did terrible before he took over Parcell's Patriots and established himself. So JP is not the only green guy we have.

What I don't like about Mularkey is that he relies too much on gadget plays. They are okay every now and then, but I'd like him to implement more strategy on how the team is going to play the game. Right now, it's just - go out and play. There's not much strategy - or atleast there it doesn't appear to be some. Against the Saints, we ran well, an inexplicably went away from it. The team also doesn't seem confident in their play and the Oline is horrendous. If I'm Mularkey, I'm on ALL the Olinemen all week this week making sure they are practicing hard and getting in better shape. They need to be faster and they need to understand and have an overall strategy for handling defensive stunts!