• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • illusionone
    Guns N Roses
    • Aug 2003

TD and JPL

Here are my thoughts,

I blame TD 100% for whats going on with this team this year. Here's why!

In the off season, TD came out publicly and made the statement that he thought this team could go to the play-offs with JP and Not Bledsoe. By doing this he put his 1st year starter (rookie) in the spotlight without knowing 100% if he could really do it. That being said, I don't think that keeping Bledsoe would have been the answer to this years problems, but TD could have handled the situation in a way that wouldn't have put so much pressure on JP, and JP could have had better results. Here's what I would have done. . . .

I would have come out publicly and said that Drew Bledsoe and JP Losman are goin gto duel it out in training camp for the starting role this year. What we would we have gained by doing this? Glad you asked. . .

Bledsoe would have stayed with the team if he thought he would have had a fair shot at the starting job. Worst case, Bledsoe beats out JP in camp and JP sits and learns. If Bledsoe sucks, then JP goes in and at least the media/fans are looking at it as the next best option. If he shines all is good, if he struggles, the media and fans would probably give him a pass for the year.

Not giving Bledsoe the chance to win the starting job told both the NFL world and JPL that JPL is going to be great right out of the box. Now, everytime you read something Bills related, they are slamming the kid. I don't think that would have been the case under my senario.

BTW - This is not a Pro Bledsoe, Anti-JPL thread - it is a Bills PR, Operation, player management thread, please keep it that way. . . .

-illusionone

Welcome To The Jungle
    -GNR 2005
  • JBrownFinFan
    Really fishy smelling poster
    • Sep 2005

Re: TD and JPL

I have a big schlong

Comment

• finsrclowns
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by illusionone
      Now, everytime you read something Bills related, they are slamming the kid. I don't think that would have been the case under my senario.

-illusionone
      If he won the job and played exactly like he has I doubt he gets much more slack from the media as opposed to simply being named starter. I mean it's not like he didn't have the support and best wishes of everyone going in. He's getting panned for his play on the field, period. Whether he should have been named default starter in the first place is another issue (IMO he shouldn't have been). The bottom line is we were close to the playoffs last year and JP is on pace for a 4 win season. I can't see how JP got the job changes how anyone feels about that fact.
      finsrclowns

Comment

• illusionone
        Guns N Roses
        • Aug 2003

I see your point, but if JP had won the job and played like he has to date than they could have gone to DB as the back up who was familiar with the system and the players, and maybe save the season. As far as the media is concerned, the expectation wouldn't have been so high if he wasn't labeled a play-off caliber QB. TD and MM both came out and said that they felt they had a better chance of making the post season with JP automaticly creating a false hope.

IMHO,

-illusionone

Originally posted by finsrclowns
        If he won the job and played exactly like he has I doubt he gets much more slack from the media as opposed to simply being named starter. I mean it's not like he didn't have the support and best wishes of everyone going in. He's getting panned for his play on the field, period. Whether he should have been named default starter in the first place is another issue (IMO he shouldn't have been). The bottom line is we were close to the playoffs last year and JP is on pace for a 4 win season. I can't see how JP got the job changes how anyone feels about that fact.

Welcome To The Jungle
        -GNR 2005

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

Let me ask you a question: What the heck else would ANY GM worth a damn say about a team that just missed the playoffs and made the decision to go with a young QB?

Would he say the team is not good enough to make the playoffs with the kidd QB? No. Cinncinnati (Kitna to Palmer), NY Giants (Warner to Manning), Jacksonville (Brunell to Leftwich), are examples of recent teams with playoff aspirations that made the switch to young QBs. I doubt any of those GMs said the team was going to be worse in the long run with the young QB.

Besides, are fans so naive as to believe everything a GM, coach or sportswriter says? No, of course not. Did you honestly think the Bills would not struggle at the start of the season with a virtual rookie QB? Do you think Bledsoe was going to take the Bills to the Super Bowl? No again. So why not move on and see if the kid can play?

I cannot believe the lack of patience and long term vision some people have. JP needs to take his lumps this year (like Manning did last year, and Leftwich, Palmer and others did as first year players) so that the Bills can be good next year.

Comment

• illusionone
            Guns N Roses
            • Aug 2003

1st off - if you ask 85% of the people on this list if they thought based off of the media, TD & MM comments about JP, if they thought, going into the season that JP was ready to take a play-off caliber team to the play-offs, I bet they would all say yes I thought he could.

This team was ready to go into the play-offs, this is a good football team, and to throw an inexperienced QB in the mold was just down right foolish.

Again, this team is rebuilt minus the QB position, seriously, they set the franchise back at least 2-3 years. I'm not saying they had to stick with Bledsoe, but they should have tried another option other than an unproven JP. At best they shouldn't of handed the keys to a play-off caliber team to a rookie. They should have made him beat out another QB in training camp.

My original point was not to pit Bledsoe vs Losman. My point was that everybody painted a rosy picture of the "FUTURE" and never sat back to realize the pressure cooker they were putting him in by making him out to be something he wasn't (they meaning TD & MM). MM and TD have been around long enough to know that a mediocre football team in the 05-06 season would not cut it with Bills fans. They had to have known that their little experiment, if failed, would do allot of damage to the club and to JP's confidence. Lets face it, the Bills fan base historicly is not kind when it comes to their struggling QB's......

-illusionone

Originally posted by EDS
            Let me ask you a question: What the heck else would ANY GM worth a damn say about a team that just missed the playoffs and made the decision to go with a young QB?

Would he say the team is not good enough to make the playoffs with the kidd QB? No. Cinncinnati (Kitna to Palmer), NY Giants (Warner to Manning), Jacksonville (Brunell to Leftwich), are examples of recent teams with playoff aspirations that made the switch to young QBs. I doubt any of those GMs said the team was going to be worse in the long run with the young QB.

Besides, are fans so naive as to believe everything a GM, coach or sportswriter says? No, of course not. Did you honestly think the Bills would not struggle at the start of the season with a virtual rookie QB? Do you think Bledsoe was going to take the Bills to the Super Bowl? No again. So why not move on and see if the kid can play?

I cannot believe the lack of patience and long term vision some people have. JP needs to take his lumps this year (like Manning did last year, and Leftwich, Palmer and others did as first year players) so that the Bills can be good next year.

Welcome To The Jungle
            -GNR 2005

Comment

• finsrclowns
              • Apr 2004

I see your point, but if JP had won the job and played like he has to date than they could have gone to DB as the back up who was familiar with the system and the players, and maybe save the season. As far as the media is concerned, the expectation wouldn't have been so high if he wasn't labeled a play-off caliber QB. TD and MM both came out and said that they felt they had a better chance of making the post season with JP automaticly creating a false hope.

IMHO,

-illusionone
              At the end of the day either JP can play or he can't. Are you saying he's worried about the Buffalo News when he's bouncing throws and missing reads? Bad is bad. Personally I'm glad Bledsoe's not here to clean up TD and Mularkey's mess. Based on what I've seen if there had been a real open competition for the starting job JP wouldn't have beaten out Bledsoe or Holcomb or Matthews. So I give TD and Mularkey some credit for at least being honest with Bledsoe instead of pretending there was a competition and then sandbagging him. That's not to say JP won't improve. But to say he was ready to lead a playoff push preseason was always pie in the sky. That much is obvious.
              finsrclowns

Comment

• finsrclowns
                • Apr 2004

Again, this team is rebuilt minus the QB position, seriously, they set the franchise back at least 2-3 years. I'm not saying they had to stick with Bledsoe, but they should have tried another option other than an unproven JP. At best they shouldn't of handed the keys to a play-off caliber team to a rookie. They should have made him beat out another QB in training camp.

-illusionone
                We're not totally out of it right now. So please tell me why Kelly Holcomb isn't playing on Sunday? He's getting almost as much money this year as Bledsoe is making in Dallas and Bledsoe's starting. Did they sign him to play only if JP gets hurt? I would have thought he was also "JP's not ready" insurance. If he wasn't, then the whole "no step back" propaganda was indeed a sick charade.
                finsrclowns

Comment

• illusionone
                  Guns N Roses
                  • Aug 2003

I don't see how you give them credit. If he couldn't beat out the three QB's you mentioned why would they go with him. This team, last year, was clearly a near play-off team. They took a team that was almost there, and sent them the wrong freakin way. With the way things are in the NFL you have to strike while the iron's hot - look at the Pats, they struck while the iron was hot, now a few key players gone and injuries, they could be middle of the road for awhile. The Bills are letting there moment slip away - even if JP comes around in the next year or so, they are 2 injuries away from being a middle of the road team again. The Bills do not have the depth that the Pats had over the last 4 years.

As far as thge Pie in the sky comment - again, they had the make-up of a great football team, why would they let it slip away by jumping the gun.

I don't blame the players, I blame management,

-illusionone

At the end of the day either JP can play or he can't. Are you saying he's worried about the Buffalo News when he's bouncing throws and missing reads? Bad is bad. Personally I'm glad Bledsoe's not here to clean up TD and Mularkey's mess. Based on what I've seen if there had been a real open competition for the starting job JP wouldn't have beaten out Bledsoe or Holcomb or Matthews. So I give TD and Mularkey some credit for at least being honest with Bledsoe instead of pretending there was a competition and then sandbagging him. That's not to say JP won't improve. But to say he was ready to lead a playoff push preseason was always pie in the sky. That much is obvious.

Welcome To The Jungle
                  -GNR 2005

Comment

• illusionone
                    Guns N Roses
                    • Aug 2003

I agree - Why not put him - If they signed KH as insurance, then the time is now. This isn't the NFC where you can win your division playing .500 ball. They really need to evaluate the situation and put in the QB that will win games and not save face.

-illusionone

We're not totally out of it right now. So please tell me why Kelly Holcomb isn't playing on Sunday? He's getting almost as much money this year as Bledsoe is making in Dallas and Bledsoe's starting. Did they sign him to play only if JP gets hurt? I would have thought he was also "JP's not ready" insurance. If he wasn't, then the whole "no step back" propaganda was indeed a sick charade.

Welcome To The Jungle
                    -GNR 2005

Comment

• finsrclowns
                      • Apr 2004

I don't see how you give them credit. If he couldn't beat out the three QB's you mentioned why would they go with him. This team, last year, was clearly a near play-off team. They took a team that was almost there, and sent them the wrong freakin way. With the way things are in the NFL you have to strike while the iron's hot - look at the Pats, they struck while the iron was hot, now a few key players gone and injuries, they could be middle of the road for awhile. The Bills are letting there moment slip away - even if JP comes around in the next year or so, they are 2 injuries away from being a middle of the road team again. The Bills do not have the depth that the Pats had over the last 4 years.

As far as thge Pie in the sky comment - again, they had the make-up of a great football team, why would they let it slip away by jumping the gun.

I don't blame the players, I blame management,

-illusionone
                      I agree they went about it wrong. Your original point was somehow that has impacted JP's play. That's the part that doesn't hold water with me. He is what he is.
                      finsrclowns

Comment

• finsrclowns
                        • Apr 2004

I agree - Why not put him - If they signed KH as insurance, then the time is now. This isn't the NFC where you can win your division playing .500 ball. They really need to evaluate the situation and put in the QB that will win games and not save face.

-illusionone
                        You're right. I haven't heard one single cogent argument for why giving KH 4 games to see if he can right a sinking ship is a bad idea. Not one. But it appears the majority polled have the backbone of the French army.
                        finsrclowns

Comment

• illusionone
                          Guns N Roses
                          • Aug 2003

I could see how a new QB could come into a pressure cooker (AKA Buffalo NY) and be completely dazzled from bad press, frustrated teammates. I could see how he could have that on his mind while he was playing, how it could bother him and somehow affect his play.

It takes years of experience and hard times in order to build a resistance to that kind of pressure.

-illusionone

I agree they went about it wrong. Your original point was somehow that has impacted JP's play. That's the part that doesn't hold water with me. He is what he is.

Welcome To The Jungle
                          -GNR 2005

Comment

• illusionone
                            Guns N Roses
                            • Aug 2003

lol! At this point I feel that leaving JP in to get thrown around would do more harm than sitting him for 4 games.
                            It's only going to get worse - when he plays the phins or Pats, they are going to destroy him - it's just not fair.

You're right. I haven't heard one single cogent argument for why giving KH 4 games to see if he can right a sinking ship is a bad idea. Not one. But it appears the majority polled have the backbone of the French army.

Welcome To The Jungle
                            -GNR 2005

Comment

• finsrclowns
                              • Apr 2004

lol! At this point I feel that leaving JP in to get thrown around would do more harm than sitting him for 4 games.
                              It's only going to get worse - when he plays the phins or Pats, they are going to destroy him - it's just not fair.
                              See that's my point- IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT JP AND HIS WIDDLE FEELINGS. I'm not concerned sitting him would hurt his confidence. I'm not concerned playing him will hurt his confidence. I'm concerned about the Buffalo Bills winning games, beginning this Sunday. Any other agenda makes no sense to me.
                              finsrclowns

Comment

Working...
                              X